FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Texas Says No To Gay Foster Parents

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:33 am

What is the alternative – growing up in an orphanage?

===

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas could become the only state to bar gays from becoming foster parents under legislation passed Wednesday by the House.

===

Link to AP article -

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../ap_on_re_us/gays_foster_parents_2
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

PA110

RE: Texas Says No To Gay Foster Parents

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 am

Did you really expect anything more from Texas? Some days, I really wonder if the Civil War was really worth it. We should have let the South go. There is such a huge cultural divide between the North and South. Sometimes I think we'd be better off without them.

And I'm sure that some in the South think the same of the North.

[Edited 2005-04-20 20:41:47]
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

mt99

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 am

Well, you do know that all Straight people are saints rigth?
Step into my office, baby

Orion737

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:59 am

I do tend to think that children should be placed with heterosexual married couples where possible. The traditional family of a mother and father figure is the best environment for a child.

One of the things about being gay I most regret is that I will never have children but I accept that. I dont think two men or two women would be the best option for raising a child.

Superfly

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 am

This is just nuts!
Keep in mind this the same state that's given us nuts such as George W. Bush, Phil Grahm, John Cornyn, Tom DeLay and DickArmy.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
This is just nuts!

And another nut that wrote a book called Nuts!

(WN's Herb).
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AeroWesty

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
The traditional family of a mother and father figure is the best environment for a child.

No, a nurturing environment is the best for a child. It doesn't matter if it's male-female, male-male, or female-female. It's even possible to raise a child as a single parent and still provide a nurturing environment. Those who flounder from foster home to foster home are universally worse off than those placed in a stable home, and there's every indication same-sex couples in a committed relationship can provide that.
International Homo of Mystery

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:11 am

How come there isin't a smiley for shooting one's self in the foot?  white 
This space intentionally left blank

TWFirst

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:15 am

I do tend to think that children should be placed with heterosexual married couples where possible. The traditional family of a mother and father figure is the best environment for a child.

One of the things about being gay I most regret is that I will never have children but I accept that. I dont think two men or two women would be the best option for raising a child.

Bullcrap. You CAN have children. Lots and lots of gay people have children.

Of course this isn't surprising coming from Texas.... Texas can kiss my white hairy gay butt. And you can bet there'll be lawsuits.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

tristarenvy

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:49 am

Now, you see, the moderate-conservative, right wing (ex)Texan in me SHOULD applaud that decision. However.....

As a parent of young children, I get to see how many kids out there are part of a one parent (if even THAT) family. If I had a dime for every friend of my daughters that are w/mom, or grand parents, I'd be a wealthy fellow.

And living in Florida, I have had the (dis)pleasure of seeing what happens to kids in situations similar to this. Several of the last child abductions have involved single parent families.

So, should a gay couple, that can provide a loving and safe family environment be allowed to adopt? I think so. I may not agree, and to be honest, it's none of my business, but if it takes a child OUT of harms way, and they are committed to one another, I can't argue against it.

[Edited 2005-04-20 21:50:09]
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:10 am

Looks like the state government wants to ignore the problem with the foster care system and pass laws to make the problem worse. There is already a shortage of foster parents and tossing the gays out is only going to make the problem worse.

I guess if it is what the voters want....

The jobs of politicians is not to impose their own will but to impose the will of the majority on all of us. If this is what the majority wants then I guess we will all just have to suffer.

You act like it is a shock to discover Texas is a little conservative.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

September11

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
a nurturing environment is the best for a child

checkmark 
Airliners.net of the Future

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:12 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 11):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
a nurturing environment is the best for a child

Absolutely correct!!!

This space intentionally left blank

PacificWestern

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
What is the alternative – growing up in an orphanage?

In a society where many parents themselves believe it would be better to have a dead child than a gay one, none of this suprises me.

It's curious as to how voters/politicians/religious spokespeople affirm that it would be unhealthy for a child to grow up in a home with same sex parents. The premise being that only male-female couples are able to raise a well adjusted, productive, and happy child! I guess we all must know now that most murderers, thieves, vandals, perverts, and all other examples of lower mankind just had to have been the product of a home with two fathers or two mothers. That's correct all you ultraconservative and closed minded individuals out there..........visit any prison and you can walk along pointing your fingers saying to yourselves, "Uh huh....of course that one was raised by dykes" or "Yep, that serial killer obviously was brought up by faggots".  Yeah sure

Superfly

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:33 am

I've met a few people who's had a mother or father come out of the closet or joined the other team.
They turned out fine. They didn't seem to have suffered any mental trauma as a result of it.
Bring back the Concorde

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:40 am

The traditional family of a mother and father figure is the best environment for a child.

Those aren't very popular in the United States.
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

zotan

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:40 am

Texas needs to shove it. Is an orphanage really a better environment for the kid? If there are people out there that will nurture and love the kid why not let them adopt him?

SFOMEX

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Keep in mind this the same state that's given us nuts such as George W. Bush, Phil Grahm, John Cornyn, Tom DeLay and DickArmy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think George W. Bush was born in Connecticut. Now, blame that godforsaken state...  Smile
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Superfly

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:20 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 17):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think George W. Bush was born in Connecticut.

You are correct but elected in Texas.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:26 am

SFOMEX –

W was raised in Texas, had business (many say questionable) dealings, and eventually became Governor of the Lone Star State. He does pass off his world image as a Texan.

Which is exactly why I started that other thread about W listing his tax address as Illinois!

PacificWestern

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:23 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 17):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think George W. Bush was born in Connecticut. Now, blame that godforsaken state...

And why would you call Connecticut "godforsaken"??

scottieprecord

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:16 pm

You know, with my mother being gay, I say we let the children decide if they want to grow up in a gay family or not. I was lucky enough to be able to move to my father's house when it all got too much. I couldn't stand the constant barrage of estrogen flooding my life. It was just all way too much. Most of these children, unlike me, will not be able to escape from a situation like this.

Also, if homosexuals want children, they should consider the obvious flaw of their sexual orientation. That is, of course, not being able to reproduce.  scratchchin 

I am in no way against homosexuality. I just do not think it is right to impose this sort of lifestyle on children simply because some homosexual couples want children.

-Mike

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 21):
I just do not think it is right to impose this sort of lifestyle on children simply because some homosexual couples want children.

The more people describe it as an unacceptable lifestyle, the more gay teens go home and blow their heads off.

my 2 cents.

adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 19):
Which is exactly why I started that other thread about W listing his tax address as Illinois!

My god why? Texas is not only an income tax free state it is also one of the best states for consumer protection against collections. Granted that isn't really a concern for him but geez. Isn't Illinois an income tax state?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

PacificWestern

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:42 pm

You know, with my mother being gay, I say we let the children decide if they want to grow up in a gay family or not. I was lucky enough to be able to move to my father's house when it all got too much. I couldn't stand the constant barrage of estrogen flooding my life. It was just all way too much. Most of these children, unlike me, will not be able to escape from a situation like this.

Uh huh......so being gay made your mother a bad parent? Or maybe your mother was simply just a bad parent? Had she been straight, there would have been no "barrage of estrogen flooding your life"? Doubtful. Lesbians don't hold exclusive rights to estrogen.

My brother could not stand living at home with my mother, so he left. She was definitely hetero, but her moods, her cruelty, and her lack of parenting skills had nothing to do with her sexual orientation.

I am in no way against homosexuality. I just do not think it is right to impose this sort of lifestyle on children simply because some homosexual couples want children.

Get it right people...being gay is not a "lifestyle". It's who one is or is not. A lifestyle is spending weekends at the Hamptons, or regular days lunching out then shopping afterward.

Also, if homosexuals want children, they should consider the obvious flaw of their sexual orientation. That is, of course, not being able to reproduce.

Oh yes, you're not "against" homosexuality, yet you speak of an obvious flaw of their orientation. Try again. Your foolish statement infers that you believe that being able to reproduce is some sort of guarantee of quality parenting. And that a straight couple who is infertile is a flaw of their sexual orientation??

I am sorry you had a difficult time with your mother but if your disgust of gay people comes from your bad experiences with her, don't make the rest of gaydom suffer for it. That would be like a gay person thinking all heterosexuals are imbeciles using you as an example because of the opinions you've posted above.

[Edited 2005-04-21 05:47:07]

SFOMEX

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Quoting Adam (Reply 22):
The more people describe it as an unacceptable lifestyle, the more gay teens go home and blow their heads off.

my 2 cents.

adam

Adam, I think that your statement is unfair. I deal with young people every day and I can tell you that suicide among teenagers, either gays or straights, has plenty of causes besides sexual issues.

True, to be a gay teenager is not easy and harassment caused by his/her sexual orientation is a sad fact. Yet, to imply that everybody has to accept homosexuality or they would be blamed for gay teenagers suicide is plainly wrong. If your religion/moral/values tell you that homosexuality is wrong/sinful/immoral, you should have the right to keep your belief.

Don't get me wrong. I don't condone homophobia, especially toward teeneagers. In fact, I believe love and tolerance are values we all should share. Harassment against gay and lesbian teenagers is wrong and should be punished.

padcrasher

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:33 pm

Oh they love kids in Texas.

They lead the nation in percentage of children with no healthcare.

They are trying to pass a statewide school funding plan that doesn't take as much money from "rich" school districts to give to "poor" school districts.

They call this bad plan, they use now "Robin Hood" because it steals from the rich and gives to the poor. And apparently the GOP loves their kids so much that they are willing to fuck your middle class kid over.

And then the State is trying to take funding away from the poorest of the poor for funding for basic healthcare for infants and small children. The budget just can't afford it. Got to build those new Sports stadiums.

The most backward State in all the nation.

PacificWestern

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:33 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 25):
Don't get me wrong. I don't condone homophobia, especially toward teeneagers. In fact, I believe love and tolerance are values we all should share. Harassment against gay and lesbian teenagers is wrong and should be punished.

Yet you revere a Pope who contributes to homophobia. Such a fascinating character you are SFOMEX.

aa757first

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 26):

They lead the nation in percentage of children with no healthcare.

Might have something to do with the fact that so many of their children are poor immigrants...

AAndrew

thomasphoto60

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 26):
The most backward State in all the nation.

Where do you call home?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:18 pm

What a joke!! I was with foster parents for a very brief period a few months after I was born. Of course, I don't remember anything, but the point is that someone was there. These are the same people so adamently pro-life, so what do they do? Take away some of the infrastructure of alternatives to abortion. Smart, real smart. Open up your heart and home to help children, just not you gays! Friggen Texas..
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

SFOMEX

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 27):

Yet you revere a Pope who contributes to homophobia. Such a fascinating character you are SFOMEX.

I don't see the contradiction. The Pope, first of all, is the Vicar of Christ and the universal shepherd of my church. I do love and respect him because of my faith.

The Catholic Church and the Pope condemns homophobia. It's clearly stated at the catechism of the Catholic Church:

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

The Church does condemn homosexual acts:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity [1], tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered [2].” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstance can they be approved.

I may like it or not. Yet, this belief is part of my faith and I therefore accept it. I understand it and would never pretend that the Church should change this or any other core value of my faith just to be politically correct or because the world "has changed".

S12PPL

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm

So here's a question....

How do they know a person is gay? I mean...lots of single people adopt children...Right? So how do you know a person is gay? Intuition? I smell so many lawsuits it isn't even funny.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

thomasphoto60

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:44 pm

If I were a betting man I would say that this law (if passed) would probably be struck down as unconstitutional similar to Arkansas's attempt sometime back.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:54 pm

to imply that everybody has to accept homosexuality or they would be blamed for gay teenagers suicide is plainly wrong.

It's important that our government doesn't send out a message that implies homosexuality is wrong. The sooner our government accepts homosexuals as equals, in theory, the sooner Americans will accept it - and homophobia won't be considered a "hobby" in some parts of the country.

ARRRRRRRRTICLE (see url below)
Several state and national studies have found that gay, lesbian, and bisexual teens are more likely to seriously consider and attempt suicide than heterosexual teens.[7,8,9]There are, unfortunately, not sufficient data to determine whether rates of death by suicide are similarly elevated. Why are gay, lesbian, and bisexual teens more likely to attempt suicide? The reasons for this are not entirely clear. Research suggests that discrimination due to the social stigmatization of homosexuality in our culture may have important mental health consequences.[10] Gay, lesbian, and bisexual teens are more likely than their peers to report past victimization and problems with substance abuse and depression, all of which are risk factors for suicide in adolescents.[11,12,13]
ARRRRRRRRTICLE (see url below)

http://www.safeyouth.org/scripts/faq/suicidefacts.asp

I agree with you and the article that it would be very hard to determine whether a suicide victim took their life BECAUSE they were homosexual, because unless it's in the note - we'll never know in most cases. But because suicide attempts are higher among homosexuals, it's very possible that accomplished suicides are indeed higher among homosexuals.

Adam

[Edited 2005-04-21 07:56:01]

texan

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:52 am

To be fair, it has not passed yet. And Governor Perry, a Republican with whom I am in constant disagreement, has said that he is considering vetoing the bill if it reaches him, as it does not address the Child Protective Services problem and could divert attention away from the real problem onto something that he has termed a non-issue at the present time. Kudos to Governor Perry for finally keeping the issue in sight and trying not to allow petty partisan politics derail Texas from taking action on a really big CPS problem!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

aa777flyer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:36 pm

I have said it many times before and many times more. TEXAS SUCKS!
They need to take all the bible thumpers and their bibles and send them away along with their pre historic ways of thinking. They also need to take their Blue Laws along with them
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

texan

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 36):
They need to take all the bible thumpers and their bibles and send them away along with their pre historic ways of thinking. They also need to take their Blue Laws along with them

First off, the "bible thumpers" are a major force throughout the south and midwest, not just Texas. The Bible isn't completely full of bad ideas. Second, did you read the post right before yours? Perry said he is thinking of vetoing the bill because he says, correctly, that it does not address the CPS problem in Texas. Not all Texans are morons, not all of us are "Bible Thumpers," not all of us are conservatives, and, yes, we will sometimes disagree with you whether you like it or not. Just like everyone else on the freaking planet. So please, before you make a completely asinine across the board statement about Texas, the south, or how people in Texas suck, look up the facts and research a little first.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

PA110

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 37):
First off, the "bible thumpers" are a major force throughout the south and midwest, not just Texas.

Sorry Texan, that's not necessarily a cheery thought.

While I agree that broad generalizations (such as my own in reply 1) don't help, you can't deny the sense of frustration that most of us have with these narrow minded rednecks (or country bumpkins if that's a more palatable term). In this age of mass communication, you would hope that more and more people would be exposed to a variety of ideas and not hold such closed minded beliefs. It is frustrating that these "bible thumpers" tend to reduce everything into the most simplistic "because God says so" arguement. I personally worry that this growing social divide between the red and blue states is being driven by the marriage of politics and religion, and it is not at all healthy for our country. We are slowly becoming the white christian fundamentalist version of the Taliban - and I think that's appalling.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

mt99

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 31):
Yet, this belief is part of my faith and I therefore accept it.

There is nothing anyone can say to refute your statement. If this is your position, you must be consistant. Do you accept EVERYTHING that the church dictates?
Step into my office, baby

jaysit

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:55 am

Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.

And yet this Pope believes that discrimination in teaching jobs, the military, in the raising of children is just.

And yet this Pope believes that violence against gays and lesbians is but natural given their demand for equal rights.

What a paragon of virtue he must be.

It appears that Catechism 2358 is being flagrantly violated by the Pope himself.

Also, if homosexuals want children, they should consider the obvious flaw of their sexual orientation. That is, of course, not being able to reproduce.

As should heteros whose plumbing for some reason doesn't work in the reproductive sphere. Maybe in your perfect estrogen free world, only those who can reproduce should be allowed to adopt. It sort of defeats the purpose, but then at least these kids won't be saddled with homo parents or reproductively challenged parents.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:38 am

Do conservatives ever get a forum to vent? Nah . . . it defies the good sense of pluralism.

Quoting Adam (Reply 15):
Many here may not agree, but I do.
[quote=PacificWestern,reply=27]Such a fascinating character you are SFOMEX.

And what of you?  scratchchin  So SFOMEX took a shot at Connecticut. Lay off the guy.

They need to take all the bible thumpers and their bibles and send them away along with their pre historic ways of thinking.

Along with its inspiring ways, its wise sayings, its wonderful stories and examples, its message of deliverance. Yup, send 'em away.  Yeah sure

Quoting PA110 (Reply 38):
We are slowly becoming the white christian fundamentalist version of the Taliban - and I think that's appalling.

I would hope not. While I adhere to Scripture, there's no sense in forcing it on anyone. (1) People should (and do here) have the freedom of individual choice concerning it, and any burden thrown on people to endorse conservative values only forces them away. (2) While it's fine (and encouraged by me) to have conservatives in office who are professed believers, right-wing politicians often mix morality and Christian values too often to selfishly advance their politics. Refer to the latter part of number 1 to understand the effect of it. (3) More right-wing politicians (than I would care to know) never practice what they preach anyway. Refer to the latter part of number 1 to understand the effect.

Quoting PA110 (Reply 38):
such closed minded beliefs

A lot of Christians unfortunately act as though they live in a box (Christ Himself never acted like that), which would lend credibility to your statement. I'm curious as to how many here, though, have read through Scripture, especially the Gospels - it may not seem so closed minded a way of thinking. You may, in fact, find that Scripture would open you to a whole different and new way of thinking.

-R
Living the American Dream

thomasphoto60

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:26 am

And you were in Texas, when.....?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:31 am

Following are excerpts of John Young’s editorial published in the Waco Tribune-Herald.

===

The amendment, added to a restructuring of Child Protective Services, would require foster-care applicants to state their sexual orientation.

The author, State Rep. Robert Talton, R-Pasadena, said his intent is to protect foster children from a bad influence. Homosexuality, he said in The Dallas Morning News , "is learned behavior."

http://www.wacotrib.com/opin/content...05/04/21/20050421wacyoung_col.html

===

Above comments should answer a few questions in this thread. That quote from Rep. Talton just goes to show you how ultra-homophobic some Texas politicians are.

This editorial was published in today’s edition of the Houston Chronicle along with the following comments found in a great letter to the editor.

===

I certainly hope that state Rep. Robert Talton and other supporters of this nonsense are making plans to open their own homes to children in need.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/3147239