FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Texas Will Only Execute 1 Tonight; Not 2

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:16 am

Texas will forgo the scheduled double execution tonight. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals stopped tonight’s revenge killing of one man over claims of mental retardation. The state will go ahead and kill the other.

On this topic - I went to one execution while attending a nearby university. This execution was more controversial than most because it involved a juvenile. An inmate was being put to death by the State of Texas for a crime committed while 17. Houston, Dallas, and Austin TV stations were there, along with CNN. Protesters came from near and far; some as far away as Europe.

It was powerful to know the government is killing someone only yards away. I witnessed a relative of the convicted break down in tears once word of the execution reached outside. I watched as protesting groups paraded up and down the avenue.

I did observe the overwhelming majority of protestors were speaking out against this execution not because the convicted was a juvenile at the time, but because of the color of his skin. I also noticed the color of most protesters’ skin matched that of his.

Very few proponents of the death penalty turned out – maybe a half dozen. These were not radical groups, simply victims’ rights advocates on behalf of the man who was killed for his car.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

jaysit

RE: Texas Will Only Execute 1 Tonight; Not 2

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:24 am

Well, theyre about to bump off someone on American Idol today. I guess that should suffice for the second killing of the day.

[Edited 2005-04-20 21:25:21]
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Andreas

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
It was powerful to know the government is killing someone only yards away.

I don't quite get this...what do you mean, powerful? This is a serious question, btw!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:32 am

killed for his car

I think that says it all right there. No MATTER what you think a death (or two in this case) over a car is FU¢KING sensless!!!
This space intentionally left blank

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting Andreas (Reply 2):
don't quite get this...what do you mean, powerful? This is a serious question, btw!

Have you ever watched or knowingly been around someone when there were dying of something other then natural causes? I have.. Death is not a cool thing to see, or be around, and knowing that the only reason it is happening is because of the governments stance that this is what must happen must be powerful.

Personally I think the death penalty is to sterile to be a significant deterrent..

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:37 am

I like Texas death penalty law . . .

I heard they installed an express lane for the really nasty SOBs.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

WellHung

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):

No, it's just for minorities. Affirmative action hard at work!  sarcastic 

Andreas

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 4):
Have you ever watched or knowingly been around someone when there were dying of something other then natural causes? I have.. Death is not a cool thing to see, or be around, and knowing that the only reason it is happening is because of the governments stance that this is what must happen must be powerful.

Personally I think the death penalty is to sterile to be a significant deterrent..

Actually yes, I have, during an accident...a very nasty one! And I do know that death is not cool or clean, it's messy, it's terrible and it gave me the nightmares for ages.

Which is exactly why I don't get the word powerful here...and why I do not believe in teh death penalty in whatever shape.

tristarenvy

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:08 am

I heard they installed an express lane for the really nasty SOBs

You beat me to it! That Blue Collar comedian Ron White uses this line in his stand-up act. Something like, "Most states are trying to outlaw the death penalty, MINE is putting in an express lane!"
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 am

If there is nothing to appeal or the person pleads guilty they just don't see any reason to keep them in the prison population any longer then they have to. I don't recall any mention of skin color being brought up in the law.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting Andreas (Reply 2):
I don't quite get this...what do you mean, powerful?

TedTAce summed it up pretty well. Death is a very undesirable thing to be around. Knowing that someone walked into a nearby building yet they will not walk out. The entire experience was over-powering; seeing relatives of the executed break down, seeing relatives of the victim go in to the Walls Unit. The entire experience was eerie. I was there more as an observer - I sensed the emotion of all sides.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 6):
No, it's just for minorities. Affirmative action hard at work!

Unfortunately, WellHung, there is a lot of truth in that.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 8):
You beat me to it! That Blue Collar comedian Ron White uses this line in his stand-up act. Something like, "Most states are trying to outlaw the death penalty, MINE is putting in an express lane!"

One of his best lines in the routine . . . absolutely hilarious.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 9):
If there is nothing to appeal or the person pleads guilty they just don't see any reason to keep them in the prison population any longer then they have to. I don't recall any mention of skin color being brought up in the law.

I don't recall skin color being written in to the law either. I've never been one to really give a shit about the color of a person's skin, I kinda figure if you're a shit head, you're a shithead - it doesn't matter whether your green, red, orange, tall, short, fat, skinny, smart, stupid, boy, girl, undecided. If you're a good guy/gal, then you're a good guy/gal, it doesn't matter.

There are those however, that toss out that skin color crap at the drop of a hat . . . often as a crutch for a lack of better material . . . case in point . . . . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Andreas

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:28 am

Ah ok, now I do understand...yes that is what I would expect to feel, too, I suspect, if I were there. When I witnessed death (see above), it scared the shit out of me...sort of, in a very unpleasant way, eerie, creepy and slow...

777236ER

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:30 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
I don't recall skin color being written in to the law either. I've never been one to really give a shit about the color of a person's skin, I kinda figure if you're a shit head, you're a shithead - it doesn't matter whether your green, red, orange, tall, short, fat, skinny, smart, stupid, boy, girl, undecided. If you're a good guy/gal, then you're a good guy/gal, it doesn't matter.

But the issue is that rich people seldom get executed. They can afford the expensive lawyers that ensure they don't get killed. Poorer people, which by definition includes more black people, tend to get executed more often. Surely that's an issue?
Your bone's got a little machine

Newark777

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 13):
But the issue is that rich people seldom get executed. They can afford the expensive lawyers that ensure they don't get killed. Poorer people, which by definition includes more black people, tend to get executed more often. Surely that's an issue?

But that has nothing to do with executions. In the whole prison system, minorities and the poor make up most of the inmates. It would only make sense that these are also the groups being executed.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:39 am

But the issue is that rich people seldom get executed. They can afford the expensive lawyers that ensure they don't get killed.

Agreed. Pretty pathetic I concur.

Poorer people, which by definition includes more black people, tend to get executed more often.

I guess that depends on your definition of poor people, and I would allow you have a point. I do not however concur that because you're black you're poor, or that because your skin color is otherwise you're not.

I do allow that folks with the $$$ have these high priced scheister lawyers that play the system forever and ever, and appeal after appeal.

That's why I like the new law in Texas, that reads something like this "If more than two (maybe three) people saw you kill Tommy Tentpeg, your appeal process is null and coid and you're toast at Huntsville. No where does it read, "But only if you're poor and black". That's my point. Always someone to toss in skin color for lack of a better argument.

And I'll remind everyone again before I'm called a biggot (or worse) . . . . . . .

I've never been one to really give a shit about the color of a person's skin, I kinda figure if you're a shit head, you're a shithead - it doesn't matter whether your green, red, orange, tall, short, fat, skinny, smart, stupid, boy, girl, undecided. If you're a good guy/gal, then you're a good guy/gal, it doesn't matter.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:39 am

But the issue is that rich people seldom get executed.

How many rich people break the law? Compare the number of "rich" people in the total population to the "rich" people in prison. Betcha its pretty insignifigant.

That would first mean defining rich. You might be shocked how little money one has to make for the US Government to classify you as "rich."

Poorer people, which by definition includes more black people, tend to get executed more often. Surely that's an issue?

Who does most of the killing? It isn't Richard Branson and Bill Gates. what you are arguing over here is a social problem not a legal problem. Just like gun control the solution isn't more laws, it is fixing the problems that lead these dimwits to kill each other over something stupid, like a car.

Color is really not considered. The symbol of justice wears a blindfold, remember?

WellHung

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:46 am

There are those however, that toss out that skin color crap at the drop of a hat .

I just said minorities. You're the one who automatically associated it with skin color.

Pope

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:48 am

I'm so sick and tired of the liberals who while lamenting the execution of someone who committed his crime as a 17 year-old on the basis that they really didn't understand the nature and quality of their act due to their age have no problem arguing the exact opposite when it comes to a 17 year-old's right to have an abortion without parental consent.

Scalia's dissent in Roper ( on page 64 of the attached file http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...rtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/03-633.pdf ) is brilliant in exposing the hypocrisy of these positions.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Mir

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:03 am

I'll begin by saying that I can't stand the thought of the government putting someone to death, but I'll try and put that aside for the purposes of this argument.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 16):
Color is really not considered. The symbol of justice wears a blindfold, remember?

In theory. But there have been studies done that reported that black people were much more likely to be sentenced to death than white people who had committed the same kind of crime.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=5&did=184#inmaterace

While there have been more whites executed than any other race in the US since 1976, the number of victims of crimes for which the defendant was executed is highly skewed towards whites. This led the GAO to state:

"In 82% of the studies [reviewed], race of the victim was found to influence the likelihood of being charged with capital murder or receiving the death penalty, i.e., those who murdered whites were found more likely to be sentenced to death than those who murdered blacks."
- United States General Accounting Office, Death Penalty Sentencing, February 1990"

Perhaps the most telling statistic is with regard to interracial murders. There have been twelve white people executed for killing black people since 1976, and in the same time period there have been 193 black people executed for killing white people.

Our death penalty system is color-blind? I highly doubt it.

Links to more articles can be found here: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=105&scid=5

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 18):
I'm so sick and tired of the liberals who while lamenting the execution of someone who committed his crime as a 17 year-old on the basis that they really didn't understand the nature and quality of their act due to their age have no problem arguing the exact opposite when it comes to a 17 year-old's right to have an abortion without parental consent.

An 18 year old is not signifigantly more mature than a 17yr old.. or even a 15 year old. I think we need to re-evaluate the age of adulthood in this country for so many reasons, not the least of which is people under 18 literally getting away with murder because of their age.

aaflt1871

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:05 am

Talk about a bitch that deseves to die

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/holbergbrittany.htm

Below is like a T.V guide, only better!!

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/scheduledexecutions.htm

I like to call this, Damn they got away

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/permanentout.htm

The Race statistics for Texas

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/racial.htm

May all 446 offenders soon burn in hell

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/offendersondrow.htm
Where did everybody go?

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 17):
I just said minorities. You're the one who automatically associated it with skin color.

Negative there Hero - I believe if you have your vision checked and re-read the thread, you'll see your comment was directed at "minorities" and CaptOveur's was directed at Skin Color . . .

I responded in kind.

Try another diversion, this one didn't work.

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 18):
tired of the liberals

I'm a liberal (not a democrat mind you) and I support the death penality, and abortion!!

Mir

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:24 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 21):

Does anyone else find it more than slightly disturbing that this person would apparently rather watch people be executed than the regular primetime movies? It's like the Medieval Era all over again.

-Mir

ltbewr

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:37 am

I tend to believe that a death penalty should exist and be considered:
- For the most extreme 1st degree murder cases, such as multiple/serial
murder, terroristic murder, murder of police officers and prison guards, or
where rape, sexual assult, kidnapping, armed carjacking or armed robbery or
similar compounded crime occured
- The person was over 18 at the time of the crime
- The person is not mentally retarded
- The person is not significantly mentally ill
- Where the accused has compentent and sufficient counsel
- Where there is substantual physical and eyewitness evidence, not just
the word of a 'jailhouse snitch'

The problem with the death penalty in many states is that far too often the accused has incompentent or insufficient counsel, the police and investigating authorites don't do a through job, and then try to or actually convict someone whom may not have done this crime, they are vicitms of people whom are snitches trying to get our of jail or trouble, there are faulty eyewitnesses and to some extent racism. Worse yet is that pressure upon politicans via the sensational press in some places that often leads to the application and conviction of a death penalty.
Several years ago, we saw the then Governor Ryan of Illinois suspend the Death Penalty upon those on death row, including freeing of some whom were falsely convicted. In Texas, the Governor has to have reductions or communiting of sentences or giving clemacy (forgiviness) to criminals go through a special board, with considerable political pressure upon them.
The 'express lane' comment as to use of the Death Penalty in Texas is not a joke. They are considering a change in the evidence rules that if there were multiple and independent witnesses to a murder, then the death penalty would be easier to request and have a jury consider.

CaptOveur

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
Perhaps the most telling statistic is with regard to interracial murders. There have been twelve white people executed for killing black people since 1976, and in the same time period there have been 193 black people executed for killing white people.

Its a one sided statistic. Say a particular third of the population commits a disproportionate number of murders and other crimes. Wouldn't it make sense for there to be more convictions? More death penalties handed down as well? It isn't racism, though you seem to want to say it is and I doubt anyone will change your mind from that. The more times you roll the dice the better chance your number comes up.

Also this statistic doesn't take into account past records of the people on trial. Put yourself in the place of a juror, when someone who was found guilty of crime after crime after crime gets hauled in for murder there is a pretty good chance they are going down for the murder. Not because of their color but because their history of past events pushes out any doubt that they committed the murder. Who are you going to believe? a 25 year old with numerous felony arrests: Things like stealing cars and assault.. Or are you going to believe the 25 year old without so much as a parking ticket? Applying the reasonable person standard who would be more likely to drop the hammer on another human? The person with a clear disregard for the law or the one who lived within the law their entire life?

Maybe we should just start executing people because they are white. That seems to be the biggest crime of all in the eyes of many liberals.

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:56 am

I went to one execution while attending a nearby university.

Wow, you actually saw in person? I did a school speech on the death penalty junior year and used the Faces of death video which shows a man getting executed by the electric chair, it was very disturbing and the rest of the audience was quit disturbed afterword.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 8):

I don't find jokes regarding the death penalty funny. Whether you believe in capital punishment or not, when 119 inmates have been exonerated from death row based on new evidence e.g. DNA, should make people think about our justice system. I don't agree with murderers getting away with their crimes, but I also don't believe in allowing innocent men and women be put to death for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Adam (Reply 27):
I don't agree with murderers getting away with their crimes, but I also don't believe in allowing innocent men and women be put to death for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. adam

That's why it stupifies me that people are allowed to be sentenced on witness evidence alone.
Show me 30 people who have witnessed a plane crash, and I'll show you an FDR and a CVR that will call them all liars!!

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 28):
That's why it stupifies me that people are allowed to be sentenced on witness evidence alone.

For arguments sake TedTAce, let me paint you a picture.

The new law in Texas, if I have it right, says that multiple witnesses must have seen this crime. Furthermore, I can only hope that positive DNA evidence is required.

Would this fit your bill?

It fits mine. I also have a serious problem with convicting anyone of a crime without positively conclusive evidence - especially if that crime could cause a death penalty judgement.

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting Adam (Reply 27):
Wow, you actually saw in person?

No, I did not see the execution in person. I went to witness the surrounding circus outside. Every execution comes with protesters, media, and the assorted others.

Very few actually witness the execution from inside the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. The list includes family members, religious figures, and a few representatives of the media.

On the subject of prisons, NPR did a piece titled “Huntsville Prison Blues.”

Following is a link –

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1128778

Incidentally, the story aired 9-10-01.

TedTAce

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:14 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
I can only hope that positive DNA evidence is required.

I would like good audio/video too!!

aaflt1871

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 21):

Does anyone else find it more than slightly disturbing that this person would apparently rather watch people be executed than the regular primetime movies? It's like the Medieval Era all over again.

Read the crimes they have been convicted of, I see it as the state is taking out the trash. No Remorse, may they burn in hell!!! Everyone has choices to make in life, they chose poorly and are not deserving to live on this earth with us no more.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/wolfe.jpg
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/cartrigt.jpg
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/sterling.jpg
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/howard.jpg
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/martinezalexander.htm

As for primetime, I think with all of the reality shows that are on now a days, there should be one called "Death House" Texas Style, let the fans call in and vote who they want to see get executed on next weeks show after watching brief re-enactments of the convicted showing the crimes they commited (kind of like Americas Most Wanted) to the innocent. They could charge .75 cents a call, and put that money to the victims family that lost a loved one to the convicted killer!! I would call in weekly!!
Where did everybody go?

mdsh00

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:02 am

Here is an interesting article that came up just today:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...haveputinnocentmantodeathpaneltold

Quote:
Texas may have put innocent man to death, panel told

By Steve Mills Tribune staff reporter

With Texas' criminal justice system the subject of intense scrutiny for a crime lab scandal and a series of wrongful convictions, a state Senate committee heard testimony Tuesday about the possibility that Texas had experienced the ultimate criminal justice nightmare: the execution of an innocent person.

Fourteen months after Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in the nation's busiest death chamber, a renowned arson expert and Willingham's lawyer told the Senate Criminal Justice Committee that they believed Willingham might have been innocent but found nobody willing to listen to their claim in the days before the execution in February 2004.

"This was a frustrating case, and it was frustrating because it appeared that we could not get anybody to listen," said attorney Walter Reaves, who represented Willingham.

"To say that this case was thoroughly reviewed," Reaves added, "I have my doubts." ...
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Mir

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:09 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
Its a one sided statistic. Say a particular third of the population commits a disproportionate number of murders and other crimes. Wouldn't it make sense for there to be more convictions? More death penalties handed down as well? It isn't racism, though you seem to want to say it is and I doubt anyone will change your mind from that. The more times you roll the dice the better chance your number comes up.

I'll agree that black people do commit more murders than white people. That's a social problem, and not one that is within the bounds of this thread. However, I find it hard to believe that the numbers can be so disproportionate, especially when whites commit a little less than half the murders in this country, and yet have there be no flaw in the system, be it juror prejudice, incompetent counsel for the defendant, or whatever. 12-193. That's a HUGE difference.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
Maybe we should just start executing people because they are white. That seems to be the biggest crime of all in the eyes of many liberals.

I'd prefer not to execute anybody, but if we're going to do it, we might as well apply it fairly. If you commit the crime, you pay for it, whether you're white or black or whatever else. Unfortunately, I don't think that that's the case right now.

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 32):
As for primetime, I think with all of the reality shows that are on now a days, there should be one called "Death House" Texas Style, let the fans call in and vote who they want to see get executed on next weeks show after watching brief re-enactments of the convicted showing the crimes they commited (kind of like Americas Most Wanted) to the innocent. They could charge .75 cents a call, and put that money to the victims family that lost a loved one to the convicted killer!! I would call in weekly!!

Forgive me if I find that absolutely sickening.

-Mir

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 32):

Forgive me if I find that absolutely sickening.

That is incredibly disturbing buddy. I mean, believe in capital punishment or don't...but that's sick.

adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

UAXDXer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:26 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 1):
Well, theyre about to bump off someone on American Idol today. I guess that should suffice for the second killing of the day.

LMFAO... this is the first time I actually laughed out loud while reading the threads on this site!
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

andrej

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:41 pm

.... where is the fun now?  Smile

and on serious note, I believe in death penalty. We used to have it in Czechoslovakia, but after 1989 than Pres. Havel decided that it was not democratic. And thus we got rid of it.

Unfortinately, over the period of years there were some hineous crimes that really deserve to be punished by death (for those who remeber, in early 1990s one prisoner escaped and brutaly killed quite a few, around 7, jail police security officer), but the d.p. was not restored in both nations, and thus many criminals just rotten in there!

However there are some criminas who need profesional consuling rather than death penalty.

Enough..

Cheers,
Andrej

aaflt1871

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:28 pm

Quoting Adam (Reply 35):
That is incredibly disturbing buddy. I mean, believe in capital punishment or don't...but that's sick.

Grow up junior, let's take a look at another thread that is currently active right now that you have posted on. Reply #3 which I have pasted on here below in case you forgot.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/801108/

What a fucking sick freak. I hope he burns in hell for all eternity...AND gets his balls cut off.

What goes on inside the minds of these bastards? This is something I don't agree with the ACLU on. Any person with any kind of history with child molestation should have a sign in their yard, and have their pictures posted on public city websites. I don't want my 5 year old neice to be exposed to some sick fuck like this. GOD this makes me mad.

And yet you have the nerve to call me sick Adam? Don't get me wrong, I want to see this guy die as well, but do not come on here and say what I wrote is sick.
Where did everybody go?

IAH777

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Its not necessarily the rich-poor aspect. Yes, the well-off tend to have better (read: 'higher-priced') representation, while those without the financial resources rely on pro bono. I'll submit to that, though there are some damned good attorneys who only defend capital cases. I believe the reason more criminals from lower socioeconomic strata (no matter the race) are executed because of the choice they make AFTER they secure representation.

A majority of criminals who commit capital crimes are morons, which is why they're criminals to begin with. The Texas statue allows for the death penalty as an option for murder during the commission of a robbery, kidnapping, burglary, arson, aggravated sexual assault, obstruction or retaliation (for prosecution), murder for hire, escaping from a penal institution, while incarcerated in or employed by a penal institution, multiple murders and killing a child under the age of six (1995 Texas Penal Code {my current one is in the back of my truck and I'm too damn lazy to go get it, but the statute hasn't changed}). In a capital case, the jury is able to choose death, life in prison or a lesser sentence.

Now for my reasoning. As I stated previously, the majority of criminals who commit capital crimes are doofii (plural of doofus?). They believe they are smarter than 'the system' and choose to fight the charge in court rather than accept a plea for a more lenient sentence. In nearly every case, the district attorney's office will offer that lesser sentence in exchange for a guilty plea. It saves time, money and other resources for all involved. Those that reject the offer and go on with the trial find themselves being defended by a mediocre attorney or one who is simply doing this because they were ordered by the court. The result is a conviction and - especially in Harris County (metro Houston) - we love to send them to Death Row. Last I heard, Harris County sent more convicts to Death Row than any other jurisdiction in the US.

Yet they keep committing the crimes. Morons. Oh well. Keeps me employed.

adam

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:00 pm

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 38):
Don't get me wrong, I want to see this guy die as well, but do not come on here and say what I wrote is sick.

To recap your show idea, let's say the murder reenactments are broadcasted on monday, people call in and vote for the criminal they want to see die...then on tuesday we reveal which one gets the chair.

How is what I wrote in another post regarding a specific child molester who killed a 9 year old girl have anything to do with your sick, yes, sick idea for a reality TV show?

The way your message comes across sounds as if you get enjoyment from your idea. Yes, I believe people who rape and kill 9 year old girls should burn in hell. But I don't take pleasure from knowing that they will.

IMO, an "execution house" reality tv show is sick.

Adam.

WellHung

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:32 pm

You may have responded "in kind", but then you called me out. It's not my fault you don't know what you said. If you plan to talk trash like that, be ready to back it up, not just dismiss it when you know you're wrong. "Case in point"

There are those however, that toss out that skin color crap at the drop of a hat . . . often as a crutch for a lack of better material . . . case in point . . . . . .

Then...

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
Quoting WellHung (Reply 17):

Negative there Hero - I believe if you have your vision checked and re-read the thread, you'll see your comment was directed at "minorities" and CaptOveur's was directed at Skin Color . . .

I responded in kind.

Try another diversion, this one didn't work.

So if CaptOveur jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge... nevermind, you probably would.

I'm not sure even I can divert from your idiocy.

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 41):
You may have responded "in kind", but then you called me out. It's not my fault you don't know what you said. If you plan to talk trash like that, be ready to back it up, not just dismiss it when you know you're wrong. "Case in point"

Responding to Oveurs commentary . . . and pointing out yours . . . oh, and you've go to read the replies in order by the by . . .

No big deal though, most people that toss our skin color so readily, or talk about "minorities" so quickly have no real argument . . . they are simply bandwagon jumpers-on.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 41):
So if CaptOveur jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge

Probably not, I have no real affinity to the SFO area, so unlikely I'd be there . . . but perhaps if he were to try a different bridge . . . .  sarcastic 

NWA

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:51 pm

" tend to believe that a death penalty should exist and be considered:
- For the most extreme 1st degree murder cases, such as multiple/serial
murder, terroristic murder, murder of police officers and prison guards, or
where rape, sexual assult, kidnapping, armed carjacking or armed robbery or
similar compounded crime occured" -

So police officers lives are worth more than mine? They are dead more than I would be?
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
Probably not, I have no real affinity to the SFO area, so unlikely I'd be there . . . but perhaps if he were to try a different bridge

I have no burning desire to go to the SF gay.. err bay area myself... all the bridges around here aren't very high and don't have any water around them so I guess I am just out of luck.

Quoting NWA (Reply 43):
So police officers lives are worth more than mine?

It is a respect for authority thing. We can't have people walking for killing police, the job has enough hazards already so the punishment has to be stiffer for killing a cop.. Think detterence.

IAH777

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:41 am

Quoting NWA (Reply 43):
So police officers lives are worth more than mine? They are dead more than I would be?

You're basing the value of human life on whether the death penalty is assessed? That's a bit naïve, don't you think? Of course, everyone thinks their own life is pretty damned important. I certainly do. The fact I'm a cop is coincidental.

BTW, if you get whacked during a robbery or burglary, its a capital offense. Feel better now?

TedTAce

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:55 am

Flying Texan: did they kill this kid the other rnight or what?

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:35 pm

Douglas Roberts was killed by lethal injection Wednesday evening for the kidnapping, robbery, and murder of Jerry Velez outside of San Antonio. The offender was not a juvenile in May 1996, when the crime took place.

Texas kills women, too. An article in today’s Houston Chronicle states a 40-year old woman is set to die September 14 for the 1987 killing of her husband and two young children. She purportedly wiped her family out for insurance money. She was scheduled to be killed last year but Governor Rick Perry called it off moments before the execution.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3147636

[Edited 2005-04-23 05:36:10]

StevenUhl777

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:14 pm

That's what they need nationwide. Seriously. Start with the child molester who buried alive that poor little girl in Florida.

The faster we exterminate the child rapists, molesters, and killers, the better a society we'll have in the long run. Public hangings of child molesters, as far as I'm concerned. These people have to be sent a message. They must be removed from society at all costs...forget what the damn pope or the liberals say.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

CORULEZ05

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Why doesn't that statement surprise me?

As for the death penalty, what is the point? People who committ crimes could care less about their life because they have no life. So for them, killing them is perfectly fine and they could care less. Now, being stuck in prison for the rest of their sorry lives, now THAT is better in my opinion. I mean, the ways these criminals are executed now days, they don't feel anything. I think they would feel a lot more by living in prison and basically dying there.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!