UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Dog Racing Advice Needed

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Tonight I shall (...) entertain myself by joining some coworkers/coworkerettes at dog races (dogs are racing, not my colleagues unfortunately).

Having not indulged in such a pastime before, I would like to know a few things :

1) Which dogs are used (prolly not poodles) ?
2) How do you see which one is the likely winner ?
3) How long does a race last and how are these run ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

oly720man

RE: Dog Racing Advice Needed

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:35 pm

1 Greyhounds
2 there is a race program which lists the dogs previous 6 (or 8) race positions
3 One or 2 laps. Lasts maybe a minute or so. Dogs start off in cages, a fake hare is pulled round the edge of the track and the dogs chase it when the cage doors are opened.

Can be good fun. On the couple of times I've been to Belle Vue in Manchester I've come away with about �40 in profit each time. I usually do a place bet rather than a win bet, i.e. dog to come in 1st or 2nd. Bets are generally small, a pound/Euro or so.

The world of dog racing here.....
http://www.thedogs.co.uk/index.html
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

KROC

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Dog races? Perfect. Why not just open up a sweatshop and fill it will little poor kids to work 20 hours a day for 25 cents a day.

MYT332

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:35 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
Why not just open up a sweatshop and fill it will little poor kids to work 20 hours a day for 25 cents a day.

Gkirk doesn't seem to mind it.
One Life, Live it.

dl021

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:31 pm

If you really want to make the right decisions about dog racing then you should look into adopting a retired greyhound, as they are destroyed (thats polite for murdered) at the end of their career as a cage confined metal rabbit chaser.

As far as supporting the sport....you ought to skip right ahead to dogfighting and get to the good stuff.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:35 pm

I thought you meant real dog racing - like the Iditarod or Yukon Quest, not some torturous adventure like Greyhound racing.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:11 pm

Ha !

Due to the closing of the racecourse due to repairs (none of my buddies had the intelligence of actually phoning up in advance) the dog racing was transformed in a sushi bar/drinking evening. Lol !

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

TedTAce

Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:11 am

Can I have uptight Americans for $1000 Alex??
Yes it's a blood sport, and yes, when I am in the position to have a dog I WILL be adopting a Greyhound!! What I don't understand is why I never see the PETA freaks by the dog track, anytime.
This space intentionally left blank