sq_ek_freak

Swedish Royal Family

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi, I am currently doing a presentation on the Swedish Royal Family and their reputation within Sweden and indeed Europe as well; I was wondering if I could get any first hand accounts of the King Gustav's family from Europeans and Swedish alike? Most especially regarding their general reputation, percieved wealth, charitble activites and their overall approval rating. Special attention to Crown Princess Viktoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeline and their reputation/approval rating from the general population would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much to anyone who can contribute in advance.

-A-
Keep Discovering

QANTASforever

RE: Swedish Royal Family

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:21 pm

The King and Queen were in Monaco recently for Prince Rainier's funeral.

They seem to be very nice people - tonnes of money obviously.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

gkirk

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:23 pm

Every Royal Family around the world is wonderful and I am delighted that Australia has a Royal Family headed by Queen Elizabeth the second
Signed, Qantasforever
 Wink  stirthepot  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

QANTASforever

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:27 pm

Hey - GKirk,

You English are pretty funny!  flamed 

QFF

gkirk

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 3):
You English are pretty funny! flamed

QFF you  censored  Kiwi  Wink

QANTASforever

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:36 pm

Hahaha.

Oh, poor SQ_EK_freak. Sorry buddy.

All he wanted to do was talk about Royalty....  brokenheart 

QFF

gkirk

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:42 pm

Yes, time to stop hijacking this thread  Wink
Perhaps a search on Google might help you?

Matt27

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:35 pm

The Royal family is very popular in Sweden, and 80% want to keep the monarchy.
Crown Princess Viktoria will be a great Queen when she takes over after her father. She is very down to earth, friendly and spontaneous.

Prince Carl Philip is more the shy type, he doesn't look very comfortable during interviews, and I think he has some problems with the pressure from media.

Princess Madeleine is in Sweden called "Partyprinsessan" or "The Party princess", due to her many nights at many of Stockholms VIP-clubs. She is with no doubt the most beautiful princess in Europe.

King Carl XVI Gustav is doing a good job as king of Sweden. His popularity rose after a statement he made after the tsunami-disaster in December, when he criticized the government for its ignorance.

Queen Silvia is very up-tight and boring. She has lived in Sweden for more than 30 years and she still can't speak Swedish properly.
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

QANTASforever

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:58 pm

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 7):
Queen Silvia is very up-tight and boring. She has lived in Sweden for more than 30 years and she still can't speak Swedish properly.

I've heard that. How hilarious. You wouldn't ever think Prince Phillip had even heard of Greece going by the way he talks.

Isn't there some question over her parents history in Germany?

QFF

Matt27

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 8):
Isn't there some question over her parents history in Germany?

Her father was a member of the Nazi-party back in the 1930s, but I don't think that is a big deal at all. I mean wasn't most of the Germans members in the party? And what has that to do with her? That story was just something for the tabloids on a slow gossip-week.

PacificWestern

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 9):
Her father was a member of the Nazi-party back in the 1930s, but I don't think that is a big deal at all. I mean wasn't most of the Germans members in the party? And what has that to do with her? That story was just something for the tabloids on a slow gossip-week.

A bit ridiculous considering that The King's maternal grandfather, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was a huge Nazi and at the end of the war was interned for over a year and then sentenced at German denazification trial.

SK A340

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:04 am

As Matt27 wrote the king's popularity has grown a lot since the tsunami. When the people was mad at the government for doing nothing right (I think they did a very professional job) the King offered comfort and acted as one of the people. This should definitely be in your report. And perhaps also the King's interest for cars. He drives a Ferrari. What makes him (and the rest of the royals) look stupid though is when they are going on their Mercedes limousine. The Swedish royal family should ride Volvo or SAAB when they're on duty!

/SK A340

sq_ek_freak

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:57 am

Thanks so much for all the replies that provided useful information. I'll defnitley be using alot of this information in the report; do any of you guys know of good websites to refer to regarding more information on Princesses Viktoria and Madeline and Prince Carl Philip?

Matt27 - You mentioned that there has been media pressure on Prince Carl Philip; why so and what does the pressure have to do with? I read a report somewhere in the media that the palace had to hire personal private bodyguards because the police force had put him very low on their priority list, well below the Crown Princess (understandbly) and even Princess Madeline (puzzlingly so). Any additional comments? Thanks again though for your helpful replies.
Keep Discovering

QANTASforever

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Reply 12):
Any additional comments? Thanks again though for your helpful replies.

Maybe it's because he's been trained in the Swedish Navy? lol

I don't know. One would think a former Crown Prince of Sweden would be a security priority.

QFF

SK A340

Sun May 01, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting SQ_EK_freak (Reply 12):
do any of you guys know of good websites to refer to regarding more information

http://www.royalcourt.se/theroyalfam...y.4.53abbbfd7ffdfa677fff24459.html

/SK A340

TedTAce

Sun May 01, 2005 4:17 am

This space intentionally left blank

solnabo

Mon May 02, 2005 2:45 am

Prince Carl Philip was choosen the sexiest man by the gay community in Sweden 2004.

He´s a hot guy IMO  bigthumbsup 

Micke//SE Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

OzarkD9S

Mon May 02, 2005 7:52 am

Damn! He IS cute....nothing wrong with THAT Royal Gene Pool unlike some Windsors I could name.

All apolgies to the Duke of York, he was fine back in the day. And too shabby these days, at least when he stand next to his brothers.

Any truth to the rumors that Andrew and Edward aren't the Duke of Edinburgh's???
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

QANTASforever

Mon May 02, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 17):
Any truth to the rumors that Andrew and Edward aren't the Duke of Edinburgh's???

I've come to the belief that ANYTHING is possible with that vile woman.

So yeah, probably true.

QFF

OzarkD9S

Tue May 03, 2005 5:28 am

I did see a scandal book onetime showing these 2 guys who were "rumored" to be Andrew and Edward's fathers. They were both in contact with the Queen at the time and they looked more like Andrew and Edward than Phillip does.

Anne and Charles look like they were stallioned off the same mare, however.

Then ten year gap between Anne and Andrew seems suspicious as well. I usually don't put much credence in those rags, BUT...seeing is believing.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

MIAspotter

Tue May 03, 2005 5:48 am

Well Madeleine is Cute but for me.... Charlotte of Monaco is the most gorgeous princess of Europe ( she is called Europe's Bride ) I don't know about that because she is MINE only MINE!!! hehehe.  Big grin

Qantasforever any chance you can get me her number? LOL  cloudnine 

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Cory6188

Tue May 03, 2005 12:02 pm

Does the Swedish royal family actually have any power, or is it more like Britain where they exist as figureheads but hold little political power?

FMAL

Tue May 03, 2005 12:37 pm

I believe so, they hold very little political power, if any.

They're actually descendents from the Count Bernadotte, former Marshall of France under Napoleon, before he turned against him. As far as I know, the king of Sweden had no heirs to the throne back then, and so on a political move, the Swedish government invited Bernadotte to be king of Sweden. For that, he would be adopted by the king and thus became his heir. Cool story. Bernadotte is the royal family of Sweden to this day.

Queen Silva has links to Brazil, her mother was Brazilian.

PacificWestern

Tue May 03, 2005 12:42 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 21):
Does the Swedish royal family actually have any power, or is it more like Britain where they exist as figureheads but hold little political power?

They hold no political power at all. Influence at times, perhaps, but the Swedish Royals are probably the most "figureheadish" of all European monarchies and British monarchy.

QANTASforever

Tue May 03, 2005 3:10 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 20):
Qantasforever any chance you can get me her number? LOL

lol Well, she spends most of her time in Paris so I've rarely seen her. The only member of the house of Grimaldi I see on a frequent basis is Princess Stephanie. You want her number? (I'm kidding)

QFF

Matt27

Tue May 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Quoting SK A340 (Reply 11):
As Matt27 wrote the king's popularity has grown a lot since the tsunami. When the people was mad at the government for doing nothing right (I think they did a very professional job)

Quoting SK A340 (Reply 11):
(I think they did a very professional job)

?????????

You have got to be kidding!!!

SK A340

Tue May 03, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 25):
You have got to be kidding!!!

To make a long story short: I don't think that when a Swedish tourist calls the foreign ministry on a cell phone the government should rebuilt aircrafts and send down the whole fleet of SAS without evaluating the situation. Also, when you are traveling in a foreign country you can not expect the same service from the government as you can when you are at home. You have made a decision when you book the trip and you have to be able to take care of yourself. And remember, the disaster happened on Dec. 26. On Jan. 1 at around 2 or 3 am I saw the first SAS ambulance aircraft RETURN to ARN. That means that they had been taken out of service, rebuild, send down, been loaded with injured and flown back in less than a week. And also, we are 9 million people here. No one can expect us to have the same resources as say Italy, Germany or France.

It's not easy to sum up such a big question in a short answer, but I hope I made my point clear.

/SK A340

MIAspotter

Wed May 04, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 24):
lol Well, she spends most of her time in Paris so I've rarely seen her. The only member of the house of Grimaldi I see on a frequent basis is Princess Stephanie. You want her number? (I'm kidding)

Hehehe! Paris eh.... time for me to have a little trip to Paris.... And hey! I won't mind Stephanie's number... I could give her a call and she can hook me up with Charlotte's number hehehehe! nice plan.

[img]http://www.creamteam.no/site/ bildevote/images/45.JPG[img]

Damn she is cute...

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

SAS_A330-300

Wed May 04, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 23):
They hold no political power at all. Influence at times, perhaps, but the Swedish Royals are probably the most "figureheadish" of all European monarchies and British monarchy.

They're not even allowed to vote or express any kind of political opinions. It sucks somestimes to be a Royal.  Wink
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

QANTASforever

Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting SAS_A330-300 (Reply 28):
They're not even allowed to vote or express any kind of political opinions. It sucks somestimes to be a Royal.

Just......*scream*......*stomps on floor*...... OMG! *dies of frustration*.

QFF

CPH-R

Wed May 04, 2005 8:49 pm

They're not even allowed to vote or express any kind of political opinions. It sucks somestimes to be a Royal.

So is our Royal Family, but you don't really see them adhering to it Big grin - I find it hilarious to watch the leftwingers blow their lid off in outrage.

QANTASforever

Wed May 04, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 30):
I find it hilarious to watch the leftwingers blow their lid off in outrage.

Hardly outrage - more incredulity... that people seriously can think that senior royals cannot be major players behind the scenes! Sheesh, if some of these people could see what I have seen in my dealings with government.....

QFF

SK A340

Wed May 04, 2005 9:31 pm

They're not even allowed to vote

Yes they are.

"The King is now liable for taxation and, like other Swedes, he and his family are entitled to vote, though by tradition this right is never exercised."
(www.royalcourt.se)

He cannot go to jail though. I don't know if this is the case with the whole royal family, but I don't think so:
"The Head of State cannot be proceeded against in civil causes."
(www.royalcourt.se)

Matt27

Fri May 06, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting SK A340 (Reply 26):
And also, we are 9 million people here. No one can expect us to have the same resources as say Italy, Germany or France.

The population of Finland is 5 million, and their government took action way faster than the Swedish.

I guess there are any good theatres is Helsinki.  duck 

SK A340

Sat May 07, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 33):
The population of Finland is 5 million, and their government took action way faster than the Swedish

The story in the Finnish media was "Look at Sweden. Why are we so slow when they are reacting so fast?"

/SK A340

sq_ek_freak

Sat May 07, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks for all your replies and links...one last thing...any good links (even forums and other types of sites, including fan sites) for pictures and news (other than background, more regarding persona and behavior) about Prince Carl Philip? He seems to be the one who has the least amount of information out there. Thanks again!!!
Keep Discovering