But the thing is that many Western tourists don't get to see this. Many envision it as a rich paradise but do not get to see the actual backbone of the city
But that's the case with any tourist destination, be it Manhattan or Shanghai or Dubai. Tourists are there on vacation, not to bond with laborers.
Plus, someone has to build those over-the-top bling bling hotels, absurd man-made islands, tacky McMansions, and endless miles of EK
When you have an endless supply of cheap labor just a 2 hour flight away, why not use it? It's a win-win situation for everyone.
That is true. However, I think among recent South Asian immigrants, I don't see such a case.
I would say that 80% of S. Asian immigrants into Dubai today are laborers and construction workers, while the other 20% are middle class management and business professionals.
In any case, from my limited trips to Dubai, I sense a pecking order/caste system established by the Dubai Emiriti themselves. At the top are the Emiriti who think they are God's chosen creatures but who deep inside still feel inferior to the West and have to prove something. Then you have the Brits followed by the Germans. The Americans are somewhere below the Brits and the Euros, because Arabs think that Americans are crass, while Euros are sophisticates (hardly - most of the Euros in Dubai are totally trashy). Then you have this odd strata composed of Indian doctors, and super rich Indian businessmen (who the Emiriti tolerate because they really, really need them - after all Arabs get sick too, and the Indo-business types keep the business backbone of Dubai going even if they aren't too flashy). Below them are Arab professionals from Lebanon, Egypt, etc. And below them are professionals from the Indian subcontinent, followed by Indian/Iranian/Eygptian traders and petty businessmen. After that you have the folks who really keep Dubai going - Filipino and Thai maids, Pakistani and Indian laborers, Sri Lankan wait staff, etc etc etc.
Atheism is Myth Understood.