dtwclipper

(not) Without My Daughter

Sun May 01, 2005 12:29 am

Many of you may be familiar with the 1991 movie "Not without my daugher" staring Sally Field.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102555/

"Moody" is an Iranian doctor living in America with his American wife Betty and their child Mahtob. Wanting to see his homeland again, he convinces his wife to take a short holiday there with him and Mahtob. Betty is reluctant, as Iran is not a pleasant place, especially if you are American and female. Upon arrival in Iran, it appears that her worst fears are realized: Moody declares that they will be living there from now on. Betty is determined to escape from Iran, but taking her daughter with her presents a larger problem.

There is a documentary response to the film made in Finland called "Ilman tytärtäni". English title: Without my Daughter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345428/

Has anyone seen this? Is it worth trying to get a copy?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

luv2fly

RE: (not) Without My Daughter

Sun May 01, 2005 1:26 am

I never saw the movie though I did read the book (not sure if it had the same name) and it was a very interesting read to say the least.
You can cut the irony with a knife

nwajetset

Sun May 01, 2005 1:39 am

It was a very good movie. It was amazing what this lady went through just to leave Iran. It still runs on cable quite often.

SWA TPA

Sun May 01, 2005 1:52 am

I am happily married to a man from the middle east for 8yrs now. When we got engaged you would not believe the amount of "concerned" friends and relatives that brought this damn movie up to me. Even still I occasionally hear things such as "don't men from over there beat their women?" "Be careful with your child"
We have a gorgeous 5 year old boy together (my sweet boy  veryhappy  ) and the best relationship. His family is incredible and I love them dearly. I digress.
Anyways, it's definitely a good movie to watch. Unfortunately though, people see this movie and think all middle eastern men are like this. I am sure they are out there but then we all have the crazy people in every nationality all over the world (did that make sense?) that make the rest look bad.
Please,  listen  I beg of ya'll, dont turn what I just said into a hate thread about terrorists and the middle east culture and such. This has happened to me before (several years ago) on this forum.  worried 

Luv,
SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....