keesje

Where Is Iraq Heading?

Mon May 02, 2005 6:42 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...u=/ap/20050502/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

I will ask no more to avoid any accusations of being not objective..

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

curlyheadboy

RE: Where Is Iraq Heading?

Mon May 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Iraq has become the Islamic integralism Vs. US war theater. That's not going to make things easy for this troubled country. I'm quite pessimistic, I don't see a way out of it, at least in the close future.  Sad
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

JGPH1A

Mon May 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

NZ747

Mon May 02, 2005 9:02 pm

777ER
Crew

Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 3):

LOL, thats a good one rotfl 

bravo7e7

Mon May 02, 2005 9:49 pm

The answer is simple. Only time will tell. We can speculate all we want, but in the end it will be up to the Iraqi people.

L410Turbolet

Mon May 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Quoting BRAVO7E7 (Reply 5):
but in the end it will be up to the Iraqi people.

This one is even better!!!  rotfl   rotfl 

JGPH1A

Mon May 02, 2005 10:59 pm

The original post said...

but in the end it will be up to Halliburton the Iraqi people.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 4:10 am

Through their patronage in the election process, the general Iraqi populace has demonstrated that they're ready and willing to undergo the work and inherent risk in establishing a democratic government.

It's up to the USA and the powers at large to facilitate this for them... however that goes, will be the fate of the country.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

concord977

Wed May 04, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 8):
Through their patronage in the election process, the general Iraqi populace has demonstrated that they're ready and willing to undergo the work and inherent risk in establishing a democratic government.

What have you been smoking on your long hiatus away from us?
No info

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 4:14 am

Unfortunately, nothing... why do you ask?

concord977

Wed May 04, 2005 4:16 am

What the Iraqi general population has 'demonstrated' is tightly choreographed image that our own occupying forces and administration want us to see, and want us to believe is 'progress' in a country that flirts with anarchy every day.
No info

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 11):
What the Iraqi general population has 'demonstrated' is tightly choreographed image that our own occupying forces and administration want us to see

...then why, pray tell, were even some of the most virilently anti-USA/anti-war media sources around the world marvelling at said 'demonstration'?

and want us to believe is 'progress' in a country that flirts with anarchy every day.

Ah yes, it's all a big conspiracy.

concord977

Wed May 04, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 12):
Ah yes, it's all a big conspiracy.

As jaded and sarcastic as ever, I see.

If I intended to mean a conspiracy, I would have used the word "conspiracy". Come up with a few of your own words for a change instead of pissing on mine.
No info

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 4:39 am

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 13):
As jaded and sarcastic as ever, I see.

*takes a bow*

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 13):
Come up with a few of your own words for a change instead of pissing on mine.

...why work so hard, when the latter's just as effective cher?  Wink

concord977

Wed May 04, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 14):
...why work so hard, when the latter's just as effective cher?

Well, working harder would require your brain to engage. Pissing on my words only requires your, er, uh . . . that thing you're probably playing with at the moment.
No info

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 4:52 am

...struck a nerve, eh?

Sheesh, calm down; I wasn't even trying  Silly

keesje

Sun May 08, 2005 7:01 am

Man, today's and yesterdays news, one terrible attack after another

escalation / troops taking revenge/ breaking the rules could grow IMO

if a camera coincidently picks it up we have the next scandal

what a mess..

Sad

Mir

Sun May 08, 2005 7:53 am

Geographically, I think it's slowly moving out into the Persian Gulf. Politically, who the hell knows?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DfwRevolution

Sun May 08, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 17):
Man, today's and yesterdays news, one terrible attack after another, escalation / troops taking revenge/ breaking the rules could grow IMO

By any objective analysis, Iraq is improving, though very slowly. In 2003-2004, all we heard is bad news, but now we are getting some good and bad news. We live in a society that has decibalized war, therefore, every horror will be presented in its full horror. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way, as it shows the reality of the world we live in, but it isn't fair to the progress that is taking place.

A car bomb makes the news. A school opening, a clinic opening, Iraqis recieving the right to travel... doesn't.

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 1):
Iraq has become the Islamic integralism Vs. US war theater.

Try... Whabist fundamentalism versus United States liberalism. So easy for those with so much to content themselves when others have so little...

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 6):
This one is even better!!!

I'm really suprised that someone who spent half their life behind the iron curtain would have the balls to say that... eh well, your right. Enjoy it.

I don't understand Europe. The EU is enjoying amazing prosperity due to the liberal idealogy that the United States helped enforce for more than half a century. We helped you defeat autocracy, imperialism, facism, and communism... but once the coast is clear in Europe, your willing to stop? How selfish is that?

The U.S. spend billions upon billions ensuring liberalism would take root and flourish in Europe. It did, and now Europe is at the highest level of prosperity ever. Liberalism is the only and unequivicaly successful system of governence and you Europeans are living proof of it. Now, why the hell are you so reluctant to export it to the remainder of the world??

[Edited 2005-05-08 01:44:50]

FDXmech

Sun May 08, 2005 9:02 am

I think the general populace wants to live peacefully.

A group of criminals, terrorists, insurgents or whatever you prefer to call them is desperately trying to create self sustaining chaos. The Shiite majority has shown great self control to avoid this.

People like myself and others on this board want to be proven right, even if being proven correct means Iraq descending into the abyss.

I won't take the actions of a few despicable murderers with their heinous crimes and extrapolate that to mean this is the will of the Iraqi people any more than extrapolate the secret will and sympathies of Americans lie with criminals over here.
You're only as good as your last departure.

keesje

Mon May 09, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 20):
A group of criminals, terrorists, insurgents or whatever you prefer to call them

IMO a good versus bad view is oversimplification.

Remarkably I heard some of the killings are local folks that got their brother / father / son / uncle killed in the first or second Gulf war and are "taking one/a few back" to restore family honor.

airlinelover

Mon May 09, 2005 9:00 am

Straight to hell were it belongs. At least, unless they DEAL with the insurgetns (see nuke the country and re-start it..)

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

CORULEZ05

Mon May 09, 2005 9:05 am

Iraq will be right back where it started. The US will EVENTUALLY leave and they will resume their old ways of living. Why? Because you can't teach these people democracy in a few years when they have lived a different lifestyle for ALL their lives. Too bad all those deaths of soldiers and civilians will be a waste.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

DfwRevolution

Mon May 09, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 23):
Because you can't teach these people democracy in a few years when they have lived a different lifestyle for ALL their lives

Germany and Japan did it, and it didn't take decades either.

AirWillie6475

Mon May 09, 2005 11:22 am

Which heading did other U.S invaded countries go? Religion is a bitch though so it might take the Iraqi's longer to adapt.

Klaus

Mon May 09, 2005 6:31 pm

DfwRevolution: Germany and Japan did it, and it didn't take decades either.

Yes, it did. And both cases were fundamentally different from Iraq in individual ways.

Making the mistake of not seeing those differences was a part of the idiotic strategy that led up to the current mess.

JGPH1A

Mon May 09, 2005 7:30 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 19):
Now, why the hell are you so reluctant to export it to the remainder of the world??

We already did - remember all the British, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc etc empires ? That was us, exporting our political system to the world. Where do you think the American's got their so-called "liberal" system from ? They didn't just make it up by themselves - it was based on English and French political thought from around the same era.

Imperialism, which is what the US is practising now, is not a long term solution. Europe figured that out 50 years ago, and the various empires were cut loose (except for the really nice bits, in France's case  Smile ). Bottom line, you cannot FORCE people to think like you do - all you can do is lead by example. And if the US is so gung-ho on exporting Mom and Apple Pie, how come you haven't nuked the crap out of Saudi Arabia, or Uzbekistan, or China ? Oh yeah, right - you owe them, so it's OK for them to have appalling human rights records and no attempt at democracy. Silly me, what was I thinking ?

jasepl

Mon May 09, 2005 8:45 pm

ROFL ! Still toeing the party line I see !

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
We already did - remember all the British, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc etc empires ? That was us, exporting our political system to the world.

Unfortunately, they didn't stop there. Us colonials now have to live with some particularly scary 'exports' as well, such as baked beans !

Also, I'm sure many Americans sometimes secretly wish the Mayflower had sunk en-route, and that Jamestown had survived ? There'd be a lot less of this Puritan nonsense around, let me tell you !

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
Where do you think the American's got their so-called "liberal" system from ? They didn't just make it up by themselves - it was based on English and French political thought from around the same era.

Shhh ! How dare you even suggest that !  Wink
Apparently, there's recently been a bit of, well, agitation in America, because judges were citing cases from Britain, Canada, Australia, India etc whilst arriving at their ruling. How can that be allowed ? Don't you know jurisprudence is a fully American invention ? How ignorant of you. How typically foreign.  Wink

JGPH1A

Mon May 09, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 28):
such as baked beans !

To have been granted the privilege of that most noble of pulses, the baked bean, by itself justifies the half millennium of oppression that it took to "civilise" you people ! The ingratitude of you "colonials" astounds me Big grin

Falcon84

Mon May 09, 2005 9:01 pm

but in the end it will be up to the Iraqi people.

It should have been up to them, in the first place, Bravo7E7. We shouldn't have stuck our nose into their nation. We had no right to do what we did.

And you're wrong-it will, in the short run, be up to us, since we decided to go to war against a dirt-poor, backwards nations was somehow good for our naitonal security.

In the long run, after we leave, and the full extent of their hatred towards the US is vented, they'll become an Islamic Republic. And the US will have sacrificed a lot of fine young men and women for nothing.

They're only going through this because we've forced them to. That's the only reason. Talk about pie-in-the-sky bravado.

What the Iraqi general population has 'demonstrated' is tightly choreographed image that our own occupying forces and administration want us to see, and want us to believe is 'progress' in a country that flirts with anarchy every day.

Amen. Couldn't have said it better.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jasepl

Mon May 09, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 29):
To have been granted the privilege of that most noble of pulses, the baked bean, by itself justifies the half millennium of oppression that it took to "civilise" you people ! The ingratitude of you "colonials" astounds me

Ha ha ha ha ! This should be directed towards QantasForever ! That would be fun !

duck 

JGPH1A

Mon May 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 31):
Ha ha ha ha ! This should be directed towards QantasForever ! That would be fun !

I agree - he should kneel and kiss the Queen's feet in gratitude to the English for introducing the meat pie to his barren and hostile continent

duck  Big grin

QANTASforever

Mon May 09, 2005 11:17 pm

HEY - I HEARD THAT!!

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):
I agree - he should kneel and kiss the Queen's feet in gratitude to the English for introducing the meat pie to his barren and hostile continent

I would rather kiss a manky pigeon than kiss the feet of that incompetent, incapable, delusional, twisted, archaic woman. She makes me sick with rage. I want lepers to vomit on her day and night.  Wink

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):

Now, that is an affront to our history of achievement, innovation and nationhood. To call Australia a barren and hostile continent is to have war declared on you. Seriously JGHP1A - I know you have no respect for Australia, but could you please just hold back a little sometimes? I am perpetually singing the praises of your nation.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

gkirk

Mon May 09, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 33):
I want lepers to vomit on her day and night. Wink

lmfao  rotfl 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jasepl

Mon May 09, 2005 11:26 pm

I am perpetually singing the praises of your nation.

LMFAO ! Good job WFF ! I knew you would bite !  Wink

God save the Queen ! Vive la Reine !

QANTASforever

Mon May 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 35):
LMFAO ! Good job WFF ! I knew you would bite !

Oh yeah, clap clap buddy. You were winding me up? I had no idea!! (ffs.....)

QFF

JGPH1A

Mon May 09, 2005 11:40 pm

Seriously JGHP1A - I know you have no respect for Australia, but could you please just hold back a little sometimes?

Just ignore me - you know I only do it to annoy you ! You are SO easy to wind up, just push the buttons and hey presto ! And you KNOW I do love Australia very much, it was my favourite place to live, and I'd go back in a heartbeat (even though the meat pies are SHITE, even South African pies are better !).

And you can sing the praises of France till you're blue in the face, I'm not French and therefore care 0  Smile

QANTASforever

Mon May 09, 2005 11:44 pm

Geez, you just don't get it do you? Why do you think I keep responding to obvious wind ups? Could it be that I enjoy the conflict that is generated by them?

But keep thinking that you're clever and that I will rally to each and every call. So long as the wind-ups continue.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 37):
And you can sing the praises of France till you're blue in the face, I'm not French and therefore care 0

What the bloody hell are you, anyway?

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 37):
And you KNOW I do love Australia very much

No, I don't. What you say finds me incredulous, confused, and upset. If you really did love Australia - you wouldn't say that sh*t, even in jest.

QFF

gkirk

Mon May 09, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 38):
What the bloody hell are you, anyway?

He's Elton John...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Logan22L

Mon May 09, 2005 11:46 pm

Strangely, I see the relevance of baked beans and meat pies to the future of Iraq.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

jasepl

Mon May 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 40):
Strangely, I see the relevance of baked beans and meat pies to the future of Iraq.

Well, it's not enough to just transform the political structure of the country. If you're going to do it, you may as well do it right !

So, no more shwarma and babaganouj for the Iraqis ! It's time for beans, pie (apple and meat) and burgers !

JGPH1A

Tue May 10, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 38):
If you really did love Australia - you wouldn't say that sh*t, even in jest.

It is precisely because I love Australia that I endeavour ceaselessly to point out and correct the one blind spot in her citizens' normally broad and entertaining sense of humour - Australia herself ! You have to learn to lighten up, seriously. It is possible to love a country deeply and passionately, and still be amused by jokes about meat pies.

P.S. I am South African by naturalisation, travelling under a British flag of (in)convenience.

QANTASforever

Tue May 10, 2005 12:10 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 42):
It is precisely because I love Australia that I endeavour ceaselessly to point out and correct the one blind spot in her citizens' normally broad and entertaining sense of humour - Australia herself !

So, you're on a crusade to make Australians consider their nation the subject of humour? I certainly don't like that one bit. Nations should not be the subject of ridicule.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 42):
It is possible to love a country deeply and passionately, and still be amused by jokes about meat pies.

I'm quite happy to joke about pies, but when you add to the cannon of insultingly perverted popular criticism of Australia - you aren't doing anything positive at all. You become a cancer that must be purged.

You're a foreigner and have no business campaigning Australians to do anything, least of all encouraging them to ridicule their own country.

I sincerely hope you fail in your endeavour.

QFF

JGPH1A

Tue May 10, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 43):
So, you're on a crusade to make Australians consider their nation the subject of humour? I certainly don't like that one bit. Nations should not be the subject of ridicule.

I hope you're not serious. Nothing in this world can be sacrosanct, least of all political structures or entities of any description. If the population of any country suffers such insecurities about the nature and rightness of their homeland that even a small amount of ridicule threatens them, how can such a country survive ?

QANTASforever

Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 am

I love how this conversation has veered off in a completely different direction.

Anyway....

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 44):
I hope you're not serious. Nothing in this world can be sacrosanct, least of all political structures or entities of any description.

It is illogical to disrespect what I believe is the spiritual core of Australia. By all means politicians, political structures and governments are well and truly up for ridicule (and in most cases deserve it). What I object to - is people ridiculing the very notion of Australia - in some ways trying to belittle what in fact it has grown to be. This constant barrage of criticism (mainly from certain commonwealth member states) does damage the Australian psyche. The criticism is often illogical, erroneous and just plain old stupid. But it remains none the less offensive. By all means criticise Australia - many sectors of the country deserve it, but don't make fun of the notion of Australia - it's far more damaging that 'humourous'.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 44):
If the population of any country suffers such insecurities about the nature and rightness of their homeland that even a small amount of ridicule threatens them, how can such a country survive ?

In many cases I see it as insecurity on behalf of the discriminator than by Australians themselves. Australia is a confident nation, but it still has something to prove. The US, UK and various other countries have effectively shown the world what they are all about - however Australia has not. People get dribs and drabs of information - then make a decision based on that. If after the world has clearly been shown exactly what Australia is all about and they still want to criticise, then that is entirely valid. But so long as Australia is still a developing country with regards to an international popular profile, ridicule should be toned down a notch or two. Of course people will continue to ignore that, and I'll continue to say the same things I've been saying for four years - but you must admit, opinions such as mine are starting to resonate. The work in progress is moving toward a conclusion, it would seem...

QFF

JGPH1A

Tue May 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Um, QFF... it was a meat pie joke. Nobody died, OK ? Take deep breaths...

Smile

DeskPilot

Tue May 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 46):
Um, QFF... it was a meat pie joke. Nobody died, OK ? Take deep breaths...

QFF has been very restrained lately. However, occasionaly he has to vent  Smile
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

JGPH1A

Tue May 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Quoting DeskPilot (Reply 47):
QFF has been very restrained lately.

I can see why that would be necessary. Presumably heavy-set men and a canvas long-sleeved jacket were involved ?  Smile