mika

Getting A Job/moving To Italy?

Tue May 03, 2005 11:46 pm

Ciao all you guys! Come stai?

For a long time now i have been having thoughts about trying to a find a job in Italy and live there for a longer period, mainly to learn the language better and learn more about the country and it´s people. I always had a liking for italy and in the past had a half italian ex girlfriend and also some friends with connections to the country.

Now, as i am a citizen of the EU i guess working permits and visas is a non issue, however the language barrier at this point probably is as i know next to no italian. How could one get around this? Is it possible to find a job that does not require any fluency in italian? I know my ex worked in Germany for a while and even today dont know any significant amount of german so i guess those kind of jobs do exist.

Any advice regarding this would be appriceated. Educational wise i have some university courses in psychology and sociology but i dont hold any formal degree. What kind of jobs can be expected with that academic background? (probably an impossible question to answer though).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

/ Mika

curlyheadboy

RE: Getting A Job/moving To Italy?

Wed May 04, 2005 12:00 am

Mika,

Unfortunately in Italy language is an issue. The average Italian speaks poor English or no English at all. Anyway it is not impossible to find a job. First thing that comes to my mind is that you could work as an English teacher. There are many English language institutes here where I live (Milan), they hire people from all over the world. Condition is that your English is quite perfect and a basic knowledge of Italian is appreciated. You're not becoming rich but you can have a sufficient income to get a decent lifestyle, learn a better Italian and move on to something better. E-mail me if you wish and I'll see what I can do.  Smile

Cheers!
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

mika

RE: Getting A Job/moving To Italy?

Wed May 04, 2005 3:59 am

You got mail Marco! Big grin