prosa

Goals Of The Iraqi Insurgents?

Wed May 04, 2005 4:29 am

Something I've not been able to figure out amid all the turmoil in Iraq is what the ultimate goals of the insurgents really are. In the short term, of course, they want to expel the Coalition forces - but what comes next? Keep in mind that the insurgency is comprised largely of Sunni Muslims, a minority in the country. Any Sunnis who consider the issue should realize that their chances of controlling the entire country once again, as in the days of Saddam, are nonexistent. The Kurds and the Shiites are newly empowered, with a majority of the new government. They considerably outnumber the Sunnis, and the Shiites probably can count on help from Iran if things get really bad. Partition of the country may be a possibility, but surely the Sunnis realize that should that occur, their territory will have little oil wealth. I'm left with the conclusion that at least some of the insurgents basically want to stir up trouble for trouble's sake.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MaverickM11

RE: Goals Of The Iraqi Insurgents?

Wed May 04, 2005 5:29 am

Sunnis want civil war so they can get another change to rule the country again. Problem is, they offer no incentive whatsoever to jump on their bandwagon other than death, torture, and a brutal regime. They will not win. They may succeed at starting a civil war but the only thing I could see happening there is a massive annihilation of the Sunni Muslim population, and if that happens, who is going to care?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 04, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
the only thing I could see happening there is a massive annihilation of the Sunni Muslim population, and if that happens, who is going to care?

*soft cricket chirping ensues*
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

FDXmech

Wed May 04, 2005 5:57 am

The Sunni's are an insurgency, but not a popular insurgency.

I think the situation is apropo to a neiborhood (sp) being infested with vicious criminals. The people surely don't like it but feel powerless to do something about it.

Of course this feeling of powerlessness might be misconstrued as willingly accepting a bad situation.
You're only as good as your last departure.