planesarecool

Those Annoying Files That You Can't Get Rid Of?

Thu May 05, 2005 6:31 am

Hi, i have had my new laptop for about 2 weeks, and i have tried to keep it "clean" (i.e. no bearshare/music downloads etc, which kinda mucked up my main computer). Though i downloaded "Blubster" and, having just run Norton 2005, it seems i have 19 infected files of spyware etc. Great!

A quick check in the C drive shows that i have folders like "MyWay," and things like that which i can't get rid of. It just says "Cannot delete *****: Access is denied."

Also, having supposedly uninstalled blubster (through add/remove programs) it still seems to be infecting my computer with crap.

Another thing is that if i run Norton AntiVirus 2005, it shows the infected files, but then doesn't give me an option to delete or quarentine. Wow what a great program. Show me the crap i've got on my computer, but don't let me get rid of it.

Help! How do i get rid of these annoying folders like MyWay, how do i get rid of blubster, and how do i delete files found on AntiVirus?

Thanks
Stephen

Leskova

RE: Those Annoying Files That You Can't Get Rid Of?

Thu May 05, 2005 6:51 am

If you're using WinXP and have a bootable CD, you can always try using the rescue console - it's basically an MS-DOS-like text interface that let's you access the harddrive: since Windows isn't loaded at that point, you might be able to get rid of the files and/or directories that way.

Fortunately, I've never had to try that out - because I've somehow managed to keep my PC and Notebook virtually spyware/adware/whatever-ware free...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

edka

Thu May 05, 2005 6:59 am

Looks like Norton is not doing the job it is suppose to be doing.
Maybe report it to them see if they can fix it?

alternatively try searching the web, there are number of forums which you can ask IT geeks (i'm sorry, wizards) how to fix things...

i had a malware/spyware problem couple of weeks ago, and that's what i did - the one of the forums i have found this guy in Italy who sent me a solution for free!! and it worked!!

i did send a small donation through paypal to him as thanks - i ahev changed my firewall sofware since and there are no problems now.

Airboeing

Thu May 05, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Thread starter):
Also, having supposedly uninstalled blubster (through add/remove programs) it still seems to be infecting my computer with crap

You surely need to clean the registry of your computer to definitly get rid of it. But to know what part of it is to be cleaned is not easier !
Some times my English is purely fonatiks...

Ezra

Thu May 05, 2005 9:33 am

If it's under warranty, return it and get a Mac!

nwajetset

Thu May 05, 2005 10:13 am

Norton has nothing whatsoever to do with spyware/adware. It is virus protection. You need specific software for these issues. Webroot, IMO, has the best out there. They are the industry leaders, and updates are often. www.webroot.com If you want to remove the files...use your registry editor. BE VERY CAREFUL! Start, run, type REGEDIT. Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE> Find the file you need to remove, right click and delete. This may not work because of permissions. To change permissions, right click file, select properties. This is where you perform this funtion. Good Luck