Topic Author

Gays May Be Banned From Donating Sperm

Fri May 06, 2005 5:45 am

E pur si muove -Galileo

flyboy1980

RE: Gays May Be Banned From Donating Sperm

Fri May 06, 2005 5:48 am

It is discrimination, as usual.

Heterosexual transmission rates are higher than homosexual.

Gay people can't give blood either, even if you test HIV negative.

[Edited 2005-05-05 22:48:26]

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 5:49 am

"Heterosexual transmission rates are higher than homosexual."

Evidence?

"Gay people can't give blood either, even if you test HIV negative."

I think that's only if you've had anal sex. Lesbians can give blood and gay men that are not sexually active.
E pur si muove -Galileo

September11

Fri May 06, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Flyboy1980 (Reply 1):
Gay people can't give blood either

that's veru true! how sad . . . "you must not have had sex with partner of same sex" I read that somewhere regarding blood donation
Airliners.net of the Future

jaysit

Fri May 06, 2005 5:51 am

Isn't ALL sperm in sperm banks tested for HIV?

Then what's the point of this nonsense?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

VSlover

Fri May 06, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 2):
"Gay people can't give blood either, even if you test HIV negative."

I think that's only if you've had anal sex. Lesbians can give blood and gay men that are not sexually active.

yes, you cannot give blood if you and a male and have had sexual contact with another male, since 1979. and well that includes probably 99.8% of gay men.

dvk

Fri May 06, 2005 5:57 am

Wrong, Maverick. The form at the Red Cross says you can't give blood if you've engaged in M2M sex, period. It doesn't specify anal. Before the recent upsurge in HIV infectioin among gay men, the groups with the highest new infection rate for a number of years were IV drug users, and women who had sex with HIV+, usually IV drug using, men.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

United737522

Fri May 06, 2005 6:05 am

Good. As if anyone needs to be donating sperm in the first place. It is an immoral thing.
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

PDPsol

Fri May 06, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 2):
I think that's only if you've had anal sex

You think wrong; the existing blood donation questionnaire prohibits prospective male donors who have had "male to male sexual activity" [without defining the "sexual activity"]. ALL gay males, except celibate ones, cannot donate blood.

The questionnaire is phrased:

"Have you had male to male sexual activity in the last 5 years?"

also, [for potential female donors]

"Have you had any sexual activity with a male in the last 12 months, who has had sexual activity with another male in the last 5 years?"

This FDA rule is reprehensible and discriminatory. It not based on sound science and has, I strongly suspect, been developed with political influence from religious groups. The FDA is not protecting the health of our society and will damage its credibility through the implementation of this ban.

JUANR

Fri May 06, 2005 6:08 am

How would they know if you are gay/lesbian?

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

jaysit

Fri May 06, 2005 6:14 am

Good. As if anyone needs to be donating sperm in the first place. It is an immoral thing.

You'd prefer to be paid for it, huh?

United737522

Fri May 06, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 10):
You'd prefer to be paid for it, huh?

Well, if the right price came up....  Wink

Seriously, being paid for it is worse. How would you like to know that somewhere out in the world, you have a kid that will never know you, or any fatherly figure for that matter?
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 6:23 am

"Good. As if anyone needs to be donating sperm in the first place. It is an immoral thing."

It is creepy mc-shady but that's just my opinion. It obviously meets a demand and there's no reason to restrict it.
E pur si muove -Galileo

MD-90

Fri May 06, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 8):
The FDA is not protecting the health of our society and will damage its credibility through the implementation of this ban.

The Red Cross is the one who initiated the ban on gays donating blood.

Quoting JUANR (Reply 9):
How would they know if you are gay/lesbian?

You are supposed to be honest when they screen you pre-donation. They actually don't care if you're gay, just if you've had gay sex.

jaysit

Fri May 06, 2005 7:08 am

And while this ban may have had a public health basis 20 years ago when the AIDs crisis was associated with gays and when detection systems were either unavailable or in their infancy, the level of protection it offers is very marginal.

Does this rise to the level of discrimination? I doubt it, especially if there is a valid public health basis.

adam

Fri May 06, 2005 7:30 am

This rule doesn't make much sense. There are more efficient ways of keeping disease out of sperm and blood banks: by testing the fluids no matter who they come from, homosexual or heterosexual donors, because HIV doesn't play favorites.

Aren't all fluids checked anyway?

Adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 7:37 am

"Aren't all fluids checked anyway? "

That's what I assumed. I can't imagine they say "gee he said he's straight and disease free and A- so it all must be true" and pass it on to the transplant victim that needs blood...
E pur si muove -Galileo

travelin man

Fri May 06, 2005 7:55 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 13):

I've given blood at work, and I don't remember them asking if I was gay. Or maybe they did and I lied. F#%k them if they are going to discriminate me on the basis of who I have sex with. Why don't they discriminate against African-Americans, since that group has the highest growth of HIV infections? (And I am not advocating this, just posing the question rhetorically.)

bezoar

Fri May 06, 2005 7:58 am

It can take 6 months or longer for an HIV test to turn positive following exposure. A negative test is not completely fail-safe.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

afay1

Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 am

If you have stepped foot in most western european nations after some point in the 1980s you are also banned from giving blood in the US as well due to Mad Cow fears.

aa777jr

Fri May 06, 2005 8:35 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155637,00.html

My company is currently involved with several litigations regarding this very topic. I can tell you the concerns from people are very real, regardless of the nature of it. I'm glad I only read contracts, this is very out there!

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

RedDragon

Fri May 06, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 8):
The questionnaire is phrased:

"Have you had male to male sexual activity in the last 5 years?"

also, [for potential female donors]

"Have you had any sexual activity with a male in the last 12 months, who has had sexual activity with another male in the last 5 years?"

In the UK the restrictions are similar, but without the time limit - so any gay man who's ever had any kind of sexual activity with another man is barred from donating blood.

QANTASforever

Fri May 06, 2005 11:00 am

Quoting United737522 (Reply 11):
Seriously, being paid for it is worse. How would you like to know that somewhere out in the world, you have a kid that will never know you, or any fatherly figure for that matter?

How do you know that a person wouldn't have a fatherly figure around just because their mother used a sperm donor? Perhaps the legal father was somehow reproductively disabled?

It's these sorts of dogmatic and illogical sweeping statements that lead a lot of people away from social conservatism.

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 19):
If you have stepped foot in most western european nations after some point in the 1980s you are also banned from giving blood in the US as well due to Mad Cow fears.

That is correct. I ate meat in the UK before 1984 - so I cannot legally give blood in Australia due to Mad Cow concerns.

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 21):
In the UK the restrictions are similar, but without the time limit - so any gay man who's ever had any kind of sexual activity with another man is barred from donating blood.

But still - how would they know? Gaydar?

I mean - any sexual activity, that's a bit rough. Does that mean that Tony Blair can't give blood because of his "encounters" with GWB?

Seriously though - this is discrimination in it's purest form. It must end.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

CORULEZ05

Fri May 06, 2005 11:10 am

Being banned from donating sperm and blood is basically saying that all gay men have HIV, and well that is NOT true. It is complete discrimination which doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Next time I hear the Red Cross and other organizations complain about the lack of blood, I'll throw this in their face. I mean, what is next...gay people denied medical attention because they might have HIV? It is ridiculous. This all goes back to the idea of the 80's when people thought ONLY gays got HIV and that is why so many straight men and woman got it. It is called being uneducated.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

flybyguy

Fri May 06, 2005 11:18 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 17):
Why don't they discriminate against African-Americans, since that group has the highest growth of HIV infections? (And I am not advocating this, just posing the question rhetorically.)

Apparently African Americans rarely give blood or donate organs. Period. If they went to the red cross in droves I'm sure similar actions will be made against them as well.

I guess when it comes down to it, it's elimination of unnecessary risks. All the advocates for gay blood donations say the screening process is perfect. However, it is not. And to let loose high risk blood samples into the pool is not prudent because some unfortunate soul is going to contract a disease they didn't deserve. Now, HIV in the gay community IS indeed a problem. Thank God that treatments are available to quell the avalanche of premature deaths, but men who have sex with men are way up there in terms of HIV critical demographics. I am certain that drug users and people engaging in unusually high sexual activity with multiple partners are also barred from giving blood. Needless to say, that the red cross can never know if a sadistic person is lying about their personal life in order to infect innocent people.

I presume that in the end the Civil Liberties Union will sue the hell out of the red cross for this. But one day soon, infected blood that slips through the system (and it will... the system isn't perfect) is going to infect an innocent person and that is something that the people who cry wolf over this defensive measure are going to have to contend with.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

OzarkD9S

Fri May 06, 2005 11:20 am

One less source of income in the George Bush Economy I guess.

Oh well, guess I can still blow Republicans on the side for my gas money.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

dvk

Fri May 06, 2005 12:04 pm

It is actually extremely rare for it to take more than six months for an infected individual to test HIV+. Many seroconvert within 3 months of infection, and the vast majority will convert within six months. While I haven't researched it recently, I believe P24 antigen testing is done on donated blood, which can detect infected blood from a donor who hasn't yet seroconverted
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

DeskPilot

Fri May 06, 2005 12:20 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 22):
That is correct. I ate meat in the UK before 1984 - so I cannot legally give blood in Australia due to Mad Cow concerns.

Must....not....bite.....  Smile

I mean - any sexual activity, that's a bit rough. Does that mean that Tony Blair can't give blood because of his "encounters" with GWB?

Is being a "lap-dog" contagious ?
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

gigneil

Fri May 06, 2005 1:36 pm

This ban has no basis in good science. Straight people carry disease, too, and usually they're more apt to not know if they are or not. Therefore, all fluids should be tested.

End of story.

N

MD-90

Fri May 06, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 17):
I've given blood at work, and I don't remember them asking if I was gay.

I've given blood several times, and they don't ask if you're gay, but they do ask if you've had sex with a member of your own sex.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 24):

I presume that in the end the Civil Liberties Union will sue the hell out of the red cross for this.

And they will most likely lose. There are much better tests for HIV than there were when this ban was enacted, but no one has a right to have their blood accepted. I remember when I gave blood for the first time, after having been in Mexico the previous month. The nurse and I scrutinized the list of Mexican cities that you cannot go to and then give blood afterwards (like Tijuana), since Estacion Catorce (in San Luis Potosi) was not going to be on any list like that.

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 28):
Straight people carry disease, too, and usually they're more apt to not know if they are or not.

That's a heckuva generalization. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I feel more confident that I'm disease-free because I live a clean life, and have never had sex, especially with partners I don't know well (reference to one night stands of any orientation).

concord977

Fri May 06, 2005 1:58 pm

As of April 2005, the two groups with the most rapid increase of HIV infections were African American females and Hispanic teens between the age of 15 and 19. They now exceed gay men in recent per capita infections.
No info

QANTASforever

Fri May 06, 2005 3:23 pm

Quoting DeskPilot (Reply 27):
Must....not....bite.....

*Falls of chair laughing*

Whe the hell have I been drinking (or eating by the sounds of it)?

The d***heads over at airwhiners are going to have a field day. lol

QFF

DeskPilot

Fri May 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 32):
Quoting DeskPilot (Reply 27):
Must....not....bite.....

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 32):
*Falls of chair laughing*

*realises double meaning with revulsion*

so I cannot legally give blood in Australia due to Mad Cow concerns.

Just had to quote you out of context QFF.  Smile
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

QANTASforever

Fri May 06, 2005 6:15 pm

It's cool, it's cool - gave me a good laugh.

QFF

ConcordeBoy

Sat May 07, 2005 3:39 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 19):

Not exactly true... at least here.

You're asked if you've spent more than 90 cumulative days in Europe (6wks in Africa) in the past 5yr period. Also, if you've eaten certain meats, had a blood transfusion, or any sort of injection in those areas.

If so, then you're no longer eligible. Taking a week-long vacation to Paris however, puts you in no danger of rejection.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 24):
Apparently African Americans rarely give blood or donate organs.

Dunno where you got that from, or whether it applies to the "blood market" holistically....

...but having volunteered at both a blood-bank and plasma center, I can personally attest that more than 80% of paid donors and 30% of non-paid donors were Black.

Then again, I live in a predominantly Black city, so go fig.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!