Toulouse
Topic Author

Any Gardeners Out There?

Fri May 06, 2005 6:31 pm

OK, I have a problem.

About 6 weeks ago I started to plant a new lawn in my garden. I had used a weed killer (round up) a few weeks before, and as all seemed ok, I got the ground ready, hiring the relevant machinery to do so. I planted the seed in my front garden, but then it got windy, so I put off doing the back. Due to work reasons, I didn't get around to planting the seed in the back until the weekend before last. Virtually no weeds had reappeared, so I got rid of the few that were there and proceeded to plant.

Then... I went to Dublin last Friday (I did a trip report yesterday), and got back on Wednesday to see my entire back garden was green... but nor with my new grass, but a jungle of weeds had appeared.

Any ideas what I can do?
Long live Aer Lingus!

oly720man

RE: Any Gardeners Out There?

Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm

Buy turf

or use more weed killer to kill everything off again. You might want to have a layer of topsoil that has no weed seeds in it so that you won't start growing things you don't want. Mix the seeds with sand.

Growing a lawn can take a lot of grass seeds as well, not just a one-off attempt. You may have to sprinkle seeds all summer so that gaps get filled.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Toulouse
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 1):
or use more weed killer to kill everything off again.

Thanks Oly720man... do you mean to kill everything including the grass seed, and start again from zero?
Long live Aer Lingus!

skysurfer

Sat May 07, 2005 9:49 am

Hey Toulouse.....what you should do is rent a 'spreader' to spread the seeds on your 'lawn'. All you do is fill the 'bucket' with seed and walk around in a set pattern and it'll spread them depending on how you set it. It works wonders!
OLY had a good point with the topsoil, just make sure it's topsoil....agromix isn't the best although it will work. When your new lawn starts to take hold, try adding some lawn fertilizer to it to help it along.....or you could do the fertilizingg 1st, although i suspect it would make your weeds grow faster! lol Anyways, if your lawn takes off but is plagued by weeds, try a product called KILLEX.......it kills weeds without harming your grass! It's a gem of a thing.
Need anymore help or info gimme a shout at smcisaac1@cogeco.ca

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

mham001

Sat May 07, 2005 4:09 pm

When you work the soil, you'll expose otherwise lost weeds seeds. They should have been germinated and then killed before sowing grass. They probably coincidently germinated rright when you planted the grass. You have to do the weed killer routine again or pull them by hand.
I have done quite an extensive planting over the last year, 2 houses, 5 areas, about 7000 ft. He was right about multiple sowing.

CaptOveur

Sat May 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Where I live had sod laid.. We still got tons of weeds. I got some fairly inexpensive stuff at Home Depot that claims to kill weeds and not the grass. After 1 application the weeds are hurting and the grass is still doing ok. We have this new supergrass though, it is called Zoysia El Toro... supposed to be resistant to drought, parasites, nuclear war, etc.

I am fighting a problem with some yellow and black bugs that are eating my herb garden, pecan tree, and lime tree... Any advice on how to kill the little bastards?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.