flyingbronco05

Student Suspended Over Call From Mom In Iraq

Sat May 07, 2005 3:52 am

"COLUMBUS, Georgia (AP) -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a cell phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

Cell phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

More at: http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/06/call.suspension.ap/index.html

10 days seems to be a little harsh to me.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

aa61hvy

RE: Student Suspended Over Call From Mom In Iraq

Sat May 07, 2005 3:54 am

I would have let the student step outside to talk to his mother, what a whacked out school system.
Go big or go home

mdsh00

Sat May 07, 2005 3:54 am

I agree. You know, it wouldn't have hurt that teacher to make an exception to the rule.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Superfly

Sat May 07, 2005 3:58 am

That's interesting, the article stated that he was suspended for acting "defiant and disorderly".
I am sure he could have continued his conversation with his mom in a quiet office and let his school officials know the nature of the situation.
Communication is everything this could have been easily avoided.
He used this as a reason to be defiant and disorderly.
Bring back the Concorde

September11

Sat May 07, 2005 4:02 am

"He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office"

what profanity word did he use!? 10 days of suspension? to me, he must have used profanity words like motherfucker, asshole, or pussy... lol
Airliners.net of the Future

CORULEZ05

Sat May 07, 2005 4:04 am

This is absurd. How can you suspend a student for refusing to end a call from his mom who is in Iraq? My goodness. Whatever happened to compassion and being understanding? I mean, if it was a meaningless call then I would say suspend him but a call from his mom who happens to be at war? I know there are rules but there should be exceptions especially in a situation like this. Its not like he could tell his mom, hey mom call me later I'm busy right now. Putting myself in his shoes, I know I would be excited to hear from my mother and could care less what a stupid teacher or school rule said. I never ignore a call from my mother which often times turn out to be pointless but still it is my mother. Totally agree with what this student did. I hope this gets media attention so they can lift this suspension. I mean, the kid must have enough trouble as is by having his mom away in Iraq and now THIS? The school and teachers should be supporting him and not suspending him. The school system is the United States is the worse and it is plain stupid.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

ltbewr

Sat May 07, 2005 4:06 am

The problem here is that while this call was apparently legitment, you end up on a slippery slope situation. While as noted above, the student should have been allowed to continue his call outside the classroom without penalty, what will happen next? There parent whom is out of town on business? Better and appropiate would be what if there was a family emergency and the student needed to be contacted? Such rules are made due to the use of cell phones in drug dealing, that it interrupts the classroom, and with some exceptions like here, something that should or could be done later. It is possible that the mother of this student forgot or was unable to call at a more appropiate time. No, the student here shouldn't get a 10 day suspension and should appeal it to the local administation or school board and then some other disipline such as school/community service, detention, ect., an indiction on his school records.

desertjets

Sat May 07, 2005 4:06 am

Compassion and understanding all went out the window in this era of "zero tolerance" policies for drugs, violence, and whatever in the schools. While in principle these policies seem good, they give teachers and administrators little leeway in enforcing rules and disciplining students at appropriate levels.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

mdsh00

Sat May 07, 2005 4:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
I am sure he could have continued his conversation with his mom in a quiet office and let his school officials know the nature of the situation.
Communication is everything this could have been easily avoided.

The way it sounds like, from the article at least, is that he wasn't using profanity when he refused to hang up on his mom. However later on he must have. But then again, so what? Sounds to me like this teacher was one of the anal retentive ones.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Greyhound

Sat May 07, 2005 4:10 am

They could have easily overlooked this. If I were that Mom who's in Iraq... first place I'd stop on my way back is the principal's office to have a "nice chat" with the turd who runs that school. Talk about overblowing a situation.
29th, Let's Go!

Superfly

Sat May 07, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 9):
If I were that Mom who's in Iraq... first place I'd stop on my way back is the principal's office to have a "nice chat" with the turd who runs that school. Talk about overblowing a situation.

Agreed.
If she returns and hopefully she will and unharmed, she should have a nice chat with those administrators. It still sounds like this could have been easily delt with. It sounds like this was a situation in which a little snot nosed brat and an over zealous administrator took advantage of a situation.
He knew that he would get some sympathy because is mom is serving in combat and yes I agree that this school policy should have some exceptions to there cell phone ban.

I am sure that if it were a 'teacher's pet' that got a call from there parent in Iraq, this rule wouldn't have been enforced.
I think this rule is silly. No cellphones during class instuction I can understand but it was his lunch break. I don't see what the big deal is talking on the phone.
Bring back the Concorde

airlinelover

Sat May 07, 2005 4:22 am

While as noted above, the student should have been allowed to continue his call outside the classroom without penalty, what will happen next? There parent whom is out of town on business?

Now that is obviously different. Out of town on business is not In a WAR ZONE! Schools have been absurdedly crazy about some things, and this qualifies as one of them. I bet this made headines in that town.

If my mom were in Iraq and I was on the phone with her (assuming I was still in high school) and I was told to hang up, I'd sure as hell be swearing too. How would I know if that is my last chance to talk to my mom? Who is to say that this kid will be able to talk to HIS mom again??

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

NWADC9

Sat May 07, 2005 4:25 am

That school's got some issues. What if once the student hung up, she goes out, and gets killed? What are you gonna do? He should be allowed to talk a little bit in an area that is away from the classroom, so he can't disturb them. That phone call could have been the last, for Christ sakes!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

stlgph

Sat May 07, 2005 4:28 am

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

sounds like they initially wanted to arrest him.

If I were that Mom who's in Iraq... first place I'd stop on my way back is the principal's office to have a "nice chat" with the turd who runs that school.

i'd love to see that and wouldn't blame her a bit.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

airlinelover

Sat May 07, 2005 4:29 am

It sounds like this was a situation in which a little snot nosed brat and an over zealous administrator took advantage of a situation.

Superfly, where in the article does it refer to this kid as being a snot-nosed brat? I don't see it anywhere. Furthermore, I don't think an incident like this qualifies the kid as "snot-nosed brat". Most would probably act the same way.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

stlgph

Sat May 07, 2005 4:44 am

could always write the administrators and save the mom the trouble.

http://www.mcsdga.net/schools/high/spencer.html

SHUPirate1

Sat May 07, 2005 5:02 am

Here's what the local newspaper had to say about it:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/11575912.htm
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

da man

Sat May 07, 2005 5:54 am

Okay, this is just wrong.
At my high school cell phones are not allowed to be used during school, but the rule is rarely enforced by any teachers, except for the principals.

This should have been an exception to the rule. The boy (my age) said that he was failing a class, well because of this suspension he will fail and have to go to summer school, which could be a financial hardship. The school district should be ashamed of themselves, especially the principal because of all the negative publicity the school and the district will be receiving in the coming days.

The mom called again 7 minutes after the first call ended and scolded her son for hanging up on her! The boy was not allowed to answer that phone call by the administration. I hope the administrator answered that one and talked to the mom.
War Eagle!

jfkaua

Sat May 07, 2005 6:15 am

If this story isnt slanted... which I have a feeling the story is far from the truth, more than the part that he was asked to turn off the phone.. I think this is more alarming.. again if true..
----
Francois said the teacher tried to take the phone, causing it to hang up.
----

I'm sorry but I just can't picture a teacher physically trying to grab a phone out of a kids hand.

N1120A

Sat May 07, 2005 6:24 am

For crying out loud, his mom may die and they want to take the phone away. I wonder if they would do the same thing if it was the Officer who notifies families of their loved one's death?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

stlgph

Sat May 07, 2005 6:25 am

"I even asked Kevin, 'You know we can try to work something out to where if your mother wants to call you she can call you at the school,'" Parham said. "So we've tried to work with Kevin and we're going to continue to try to work with Kevin and his mother and his relatives. In the course of good order and discipline, we have to abide by our policy."

course of good order and discipline? what happened to allowing amendments and changing ways for the greater good? if you go to the school's webpage, you can see the head principal there is a black woman. she should know all about this. there, i said it. someone had to.

SLC1

Sat May 07, 2005 6:32 am

The problem with ideas of "zero tolerance" is that, even though the "slippery slope" mentioned by LTBEWR is avoided, common sense goes right out the window. I've found that most public schools have very little common sense adopting idiotic, compassionless, often unenforcable, and nearly always counterproductive policies.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

LambertSTL777

Sat May 07, 2005 8:40 am

Quoting Jfkaua (Reply 18):
I'm sorry but I just can't picture a teacher physically trying to grab a phone out of a kids hand.

..I can.. I've seen it MANY times. SOME teachers like to take the law into their own hands, and act like they have the power to do-so, even if it's illegal. I've witnessed teachers physically grabbing students, and grabbing their posessions. If his mother happens to not make it, and that was the last phone-call he got from his mother, I really hope that teacher thinks long and hard about what he/she did.

As for the mom calling back and leaving a message scolding her son, I really hope she found out the truth, and an apology by the teacher and administration.
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

777ER
Crew

Sat May 07, 2005 8:42 am

How pathitic, kicking a student out of school for 10 days just because he wanted to talk to his mum.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

ANCFlyer

Sat May 07, 2005 9:06 am

If I were that Mom who's in Iraq... first place I'd stop on my way back is the principal's office to have a "nice chat" with the turd who runs that school. Talk about overblowing a situation.

yes  The school administration and I wold be having a serious heart to heart talk at the next school board meeting.

And then I'd make sure my son, who was suspended, is properly reprimanded for becoming abusive. Not that I care one way or the other what he said to the teacher, it would be good for him to know that becoming abusive isn't tolerable.

If I were in this kids place, I likely would have told to teacher to go to hell.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

flyboy36y

Sat May 07, 2005 9:08 am

I guess, umm, this child was left behind.

USAIRWAYS321

Sat May 07, 2005 9:52 am

This is my email to Olivia T. Rutledge, principal at Spencer High School:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mrs. Rutledge,

I'm truly worried about the state of education in Georgia as a whole and especially at Spencer High School. To overlook the fact that a student's mother is serving in Iraq and can only place one phone call to her 17 year old son in the enforcement of your ridiculous cell phone policy is totally absurd. I can't fathom the emotional stress that both Kevin and his mother are undergoing right now, and your pathetic administrative team is making it unjustly worse.

It was bad enough that this over-zealous clown of a teacher forced Kevin to end the phone call without even bothering to find out why he was on the phone in the first place. I don't want to hear some "rules are rules" spiel either (if you even have the courage to stand behind your decision and reply). There are special circumstances that create exceptions to every rule ever made (even murder), and this is certainly a special circumstance that should easily justify a phone call during his lunch period, for crying out loud!

Secondly, if this nutjub teacher truly grabbed the phone out of Kevin's hand, I recommend a 10-day suspension for her as well. After all, she committed assault, did she not? This will of course never happen, because she was being the puppet of your task force of perfect school administration.

Additionally, your vice principal's (Alfred Parham) harebrained quote in the "Ledger-Enquirer" illustrates the illogical thinking of your staff:

"I even asked Kevin, 'You know we can try to work something out to where if your mother wants to call you she can call you at the school..."

How, honestly, do you plan to "work something out" when you've suspended the kid for the remainder of the school year? Care to explain that one to me? It sounds like a great application of your 'Message from the Principal' on your school's website:

"I feel confident that your experience here will be rewarding."

How is Kevin's experience rewarding in any way? Any normal person would expect that the staff of Spencer High School rally around and support Kevin in his time of hardship. Not you though. Instead of lifting him up, you shove his face back into the dirt.

I just truly hope that you and your staff realize what a huge mistake you've made and not only reinstate Kevin before the year ends, but additionally make a public apology to Kevin and his mother. I don't expect this however, because I've never known an administrator to admit to making a mistake. It's too embracing for such a super-human to do. What a shame.

airlinelover

Sat May 07, 2005 10:17 am

USAIRWAYS321- Well done. I have emailed all my firends and family about this with the links provided here. I am also going to email them (and perhaps write a physical letter too) about this situation. Pass this along to everyone you can so this can become known.

Flyboy36y- That "no child left behind" shit is just that. In Detroit schools, teachers are threatened with dismissal and sometimes more if they do not pass their students, even if the students have not actually passed.

Chris

Biggles

Sat May 07, 2005 10:44 am

I think the really sad thing is this boy's mom is half way around the world instead of at home looking after her son..  Sad

ANCFlyer

Sat May 07, 2005 2:04 pm

I guess I missed the part where the teacher grabbed the phone from the student. In simple terms, that is assault in the 3rd degree (in Alaska anyway), and at that point the student had every right to defend himself.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LOT767-300ER

Sat May 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Ive seen it in my high school many times man. MANY times.

jwenting

Sat May 07, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):
I would have let the student step outside to talk to his mother, what a whacked out school system.

The real reason was probably to set an example that students shouldn't be proud of their parents serving in the oppressive US military.
The US school system (and not just in the US) is far leftwing, doing things that harm students who don't want to be bullied into a leftwing mindset is the norm.
I wish I were flying

LOT767-300ER

Sat May 07, 2005 2:53 pm

Heres what I wrote to one of the vice principles:

----

Mr. Turner,

Do you the state of Georgia have any sympathy left? That phone call could have been the last one. Get your act together and stop monkeying around. As a European immigrant to the USA, I must say I am shocked by state of education particularly in cases like yours. I must say that not only is your education policy laughable compared to that of any country in the Europe your rules and policies are simply pathetic. The poor kid could have just been pulled aside to a quiet corner and finish off his conversation. Heck yes, I would have been swearing and shouting too if a teacher tried to get a hold of my property and when I was talking to my mother who was in a war zone.

Instead of applying your useless rules to cell phones, teach them something usefull, start with some common sense lessons. The no tolerance policies in US highschools such as yours only make your image look worse and worse, perhaps that is why the general population looks very low upon a state who's average ACT score is 20.0, 3rd worst in the nation.

The school board should suspend your pay for 10 days, not the student. Id do this to make you think about what common sense means, something this school obviously lacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/06/call.suspension.ap/index.html
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/11575912.htm

Be glad you are not in Poland, if you decided to pull a stunt like this, and suspend a student for 10 days, you would get assaulted, and your car would have been shipped off to Ukraine faster than you can say 'Atlanta.' Perhaps that would make you think about the idiocy that was pulled here. I doubt it, Ive never seen an administrator do that here, which does not shock me since you never probably had a injection of common sense in your childhood.
---

Someone should lose their job over this bullshite.

saxdiva

Sat May 07, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 31):
The US school system (and not just in the US) is far leftwing, doing things that harm students who don't want to be bullied into a leftwing mindset is the norm.

Um, don't want to seem contrary here, but what the #&%! do you know about the U.S. school system? That's as ridiculous as me saying that all Dutch people are heroin addicts.

But back to the subject at hand. There's almost nothing I despise more than this mindset:

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
The problem here is that while this call was apparently legitment, you end up on a slippery slope situation

The proposition that "if we let you do it, we'll have to let everyone..." is not only stupid when applied to this situation, it's a lame-assed cop-out used with abandon by every moronic administrative hack who's too lazy to think of an alternative. If you're that worried about your fragile policies, leadership is NOT for you. Smart leaders develop policies, and then bend them when it's right thing to do. And they don't worry about what happens the next time, since the people they lead respect them and won't abuse their willingness to help out when it's needed.

Man, that pisses me off.  bomb 
-Leanne

LOT767-300ER

Sat May 07, 2005 3:30 pm

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 33):

Um, don't want to seem contrary here, but what the #&%! do you know about the U.S. school system? That's as ridiculous as me saying that all Dutch people are heroin addicts.

Saxdiva, I finished high school just last year. As far as Chicago is concerned and its suburbs jtwenting is 100% right. The bullshit (and now the school referundums in subrbian Chicago) is so far to the left its amazing. Its not cool to be a Republican in school (wether you like GWB or not is a separate manner)

stlgph

Sat May 07, 2005 3:59 pm

The real reason was probably to set an example that students shouldn't be proud of their parents serving in the oppressive US military.

Are you a moron? This has -NOTHING- to do with right wing this, left wing that. The issue of his mom being in the military didn't even come up to the school officials until long after the initial confrontation between student and teacher began. Not to mention that the event occurred in Georgia, so do your homework.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 32):
Be glad you are not in Poland, if you decided to pull a stunt like this, and suspend a student for 10 days, you would get assaulted, and your car would have been shipped off to Ukraine faster than you can say 'Atlanta.'

Now now, the school administrators are listed in the phone book. They're never going to live this one down.

USAIRWAYS321

Sat May 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 35):
Now now, the school administrators are listed in the phone book. They're never going to live this one down.

O T Rutledge

1019 Leaf Brook Dr
Midland, GA 31820-5501
(706) 561-5079

Have fun!

(Side note: her email address is now rejecting new mail for exceeding the bandwidth limit!)

[Edited 2005-05-07 09:06:37]

ANCFlyer

Sat May 07, 2005 7:36 pm

e real reason was probably to set an example that students shouldn't be proud of their parents serving in the oppressive US military.

redflag   redflag   redflag 

And the bullshit flags are flying for a bullshit statement . . . what a ridiculous thing to say.

777ER
Crew

Sat May 07, 2005 8:33 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 36):
(Side note: her email address is now rejecting new mail for exceeding the bandwidth limit!)

Sounds like everyone is e-mailing that person with their disgust
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

flyingbronco05

Sat May 07, 2005 11:24 pm

USAIRWAYS321

Perfect! That is awesome! Well done!  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

777236ER

Sat May 07, 2005 11:31 pm

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

Kids in the US can be arrested for being defiant?!?!

This is the same school system Jwenting calls 'left wing'. I call it 'moronic'.
Your bone's got a little machine

sacflyer

Sun May 08, 2005 12:05 am

"Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

I can't believe that he could have said this with a straight face. Do they expect to be thanked for not having the kid arrested. If the school had done the right thing in the first place, a courteous and appropriate apology to both Francois and his mother could have and probably would have averted any disorderly conduct from him. The school does not sound like they tried to calm the situation, they are just standing by their rules and were probably happy to give Francois just enough rope with which to hang himself.

Here's my suggestion next time she calls, he should go into a restroom stall, pull down his pants, sit on a toilet, and then wait to see how far the school is willing to go to violate his privacy. Does it sound like the administration would wait outside the stall patiently while he speaks to his mom?

"They are really allowed to have those cell phones so that after band or after chorus or after the debate and practices are over they have to coordinate with the parents," said Alfred Parham, assistant principal at Spencer. "They're not supposed to use them for conversating back and forth during school because if they were allowed to do that, they could be text messaging each other for test questions."

I'm sorry, but Alfred Parham is an idiot. Where else but the South would you hear an assistant principal use a non-word like "conversating?" Also, is he under the impression that students take tests during lunch or send text messages by speaking into the telephone? Oh, and let's see, students can use the phones to coordinate rides with their parents after school, but speaking to a parent in Iraq isn't justifiable?

banghead 
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

TheRedBaron

Sun May 08, 2005 12:44 am

Moms should never go to war......nuff said !!!
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

LFutia

Sun May 08, 2005 12:53 am

I live in Chicago and i can tell you... where i live in the North suburbs of Chicago, my town is mostly filled with condos and old people and this is like the 3rd time that the schools in our area have had a vote of No for School referendums to make the schools better.

USAirwaysA321 -- good job... now I know who i can mail my junk mail too.. (we can omit the address that your mailing it from right?)
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

cwapilot

Sun May 08, 2005 1:44 am

They should "bend the rules" due to the circumstances, or they are inflexible, ignorant fools, eh? Well, seeing as telephones are specifically listed on their school handbook's PROHIBITED ITEMS list, they shouldn't be there to begin with. That they are allowed to carry them by the administrators is, in itself, bending the rules (or outright ignoring them) in order to be flexible and reasonable. In bending the rules, this is the type of situation to which administrators open themselves. In short, the students should follow the telephone ban, the administrators should not open themselves up to this type of thing by allowing something that is prohibited, and things like this won't happen. If he didn't have his phone at school, he wouldn't have heard it ringing. If he had had it shut off like the "bending of the rules" stipulated, he wouldn't have answered it. It could have been anyone calling....it happened to be his mother, so he felt he could throw a fit over it.

A bunch of hate-filled, knee-jerk email reactions to something about which you people don't even know 1/2 of the story is not going to help the situation. And what the hell does No Child Left behind and ACT scores have to do with this?! Nothing, which underlines the ignorance of responses here so far. I am sure that, now knowing that they would be beaten up and their cars stolen and vandalized in Poland, will make them rethink their position! The emails displayed on here are filled with nothing but insults and personal attacks. The funny thing is, none of you know enough about any of these people to make any statements about their intelligence or character. You have no details as to how things actually transpired. The kid is free to run his mouth in front of any camera or microphone they stick in his face. His story, by now, has been embellished and polished for public consumption, to get the most dramatic response possible. School officials are bound by confidentiality rules and other concerns regarding any possible litigation at a later time.

USAirways321...I'll have you know, by listing the home addresses and other contact information in a hostile environment such as this thread, with the "have fun" endorsement opens you up to a whole world of shit, junior. What you are objecting to is something that they did in their official capacity as school officials, and their personal address and phone numbers have nothing to do with it. What does "have fun" mean? Are you encouraging people to harass this woman in her home? That's how it appears to me. Your attitude is typical of snot-nosed brats who think they can do whatever they want, and then call everything "stupid" when you are called on it. If I was in her shoes, I would take every single piece of hate mail and any other consequence of your post straight to an attorney.

It could have been anyone calling....it happened to be his mother, so he felt he could throw a fit over it. If anyone should be ashamed of how they treated the situation of a parent serving in Iraq, this kid should...using this as a platform for a tantrum. On the surface, I agree with everyone, but it is something that should not have been able to happen to begin with, if the rules were followed to begin with.

[Edited 2005-05-07 18:48:51]
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

KaiGywer
Crew

Sun May 08, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting LambertSTL777 (Reply 22):
..I can.. I've seen it MANY times. SOME teachers like to take the law into their own hands, and act like they have the power to do-so, even if it's illegal. I've witnessed teachers physically grabbing students, and grabbing their posessions.

Actually, this is perfectly legal in Minnesota. Teachers are just to afraid to do anything due to fear of lawsuits. Per M.S. 609.06:
609.06 Authorized use of force.

Subdivision 1. When authorized. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:

(6) when used by a parent, guardian, teacher, or other
lawful custodian of a child or pupil, in the exercise of lawful
authority, to restrain or correct such child or pupil; or

This being said though, I do think the teacher acted inappropriate. Like many of you has already said, this could be the last time he gets to talk to her.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

stlgph

Sun May 08, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 44):
USAirways321...I'll have you know, by listing the home addresses and other contact information in a hostile environment such as this thread, with the "have fun" endorsement opens you up to a whole world of shit, junior.

not at all. the principal, along with Mr. Parham, and the other school administrator officials have their names published, in a public domain. it is available for anyone to use their dispense. if someone else decides to call her house, that is their own responsibility. no encouragement necessary.

i love the fact he took my idea one step farther than i did.

If I was in her shoes, I would take every single piece of hate mail and any other consequence of your post straight to an attorney.

and which hand would you want to slap first?

LOT767-300ER

Sun May 08, 2005 8:21 am

A bunch of hate-filled, knee-jerk email reactions to something about which you people don't even know 1/2 of the story is not going to help the situation. And what the hell does No Child Left behind and ACT scores have to do with this?! Nothing, which underlines the ignorance of responses here so far. I am sure that, now knowing that they would be beaten up and their cars stolen and vandalized in Poland, will make them rethink their position! The emails displayed on here are filled with nothing but insults and personal attacks. The funny thing is, none of you know enough about any of these people to make any statements about their intelligence or character. You have no details as to how things actually transpired. The kid is free to run his mouth in front of any camera or microphone they stick in his face. His story, by now, has been embellished and polished for public consumption, to get the most dramatic response possible. School officials are bound by confidentiality rules and other concerns regarding any possible litigation at a later time.

Give me a break, youve been out of high school to see half the shite that goes on here, especially around Chicago. Every school I went to here the administrators are idiots, and treat kids like they are in prison. For gods sakes, cameras in Junior High? and hall monitors and passes? Its bs, I dont need to know anything about this and make a solid opinion by reading the first line saying "He was on the phone with his mom from Iraq in at lunchtime" that statement isnt slanted in any way, i dont see how it can be.

jfkaua

Sun May 08, 2005 8:23 am

Quoting LambertSTL777 (Reply 22):

..I can.. I've seen it MANY times. SOME teachers like to take the law into their own hands, and act like they have the power to do-so, even if it's illegal. I've witnessed teachers physically grabbing students, and grabbing their posessions. If his mother happens to not make it, and that was the last phone-call he got from his mother, I really hope that teacher thinks long and hard about what he/she did.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 30):
Ive seen it in my high school many times man. MANY times.

hmm well I have a story about contact from teachers... well basically a foreign language teacher kind of pushed a shopping cart into me last year... not anything hard really but a good shove... I didnt complain but others in the class said something to the admininstration and she was promptly fired... it was her last year without tenure. Im not glad she got fired but I am not sad either. She wasnt really meant to be a teacher.. she did not work well with teenagers.

ScarletHarlot

Sun May 08, 2005 11:23 am

"They are really allowed to have those cell phones so that after band or after chorus or after the debate and practices are over they have to coordinate with the parents," said Alfred Parham, assistant principal at Spencer. "They're not supposed to use them for conversating back and forth during school

Conversating?

Sounds like this school has more problems than a kid talking on a cell phone!
But that was when I ruled the world