Biggles
Topic Author

Canadian Troops To Sudan..

Sun May 08, 2005 8:10 am

Canada is sending 150 troops to Sudan.It's not much,but it's a start..

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...005/05/07/canada-darfur050507.html

Mir

RE: Canadian Troops To Sudan..

Sun May 08, 2005 8:17 am

Wow, that's not much of a showing, but compared to what most other countries have done, it's impressive.

Thanks Canada, and let other countries follow their example. Hmm, what if one were to say to Bush, "Hey, Canada just sent 150 troops to Sudan. They're really winning the humanitarian aid PR battle, are you going to let them get away with that?" I think we might see some US troops deployed.  thumbsup 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

yyz717

Sun May 08, 2005 9:38 am

This is nothing but a cynical move by a desperate Cdn PM. He needs the support of an independent MP whose raison d'etre is Darfur, so he has agreed to send troops to Sudan. The Cdn PM does not give a hoot about Darfur. This is a political gesture to mollify an Alberta MP.

While this does help Sudan, if that specific MP wanted money instead for the preservation of lesbian whales, that's where funding would flow this week from the PM, rather than Sudan.

Paul Martin is fighting for his political life. He could not give a crap about Darfur.

There are 2 more independent MP's Paul Martin needs support from. Heaven only knows what THEIR pet projects are. Onion farmers in Madagascar? Or perhaps cliff erosion in Niue?  Yeah sure
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

jutes85

Sun May 08, 2005 10:13 am

Well, its a nice start, but I don't know how 150 will change anything in that region.
nothing

tbar220

Sun May 08, 2005 11:16 am

This is a start, and I want to see other countries match that number of soldiers and money. If each country (U.S., Britain, France, Germany, etc.) contributed this much this would be a start. Its not enough, but why not at least do this?

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 2):
While this does help Sudan, if that specific MP wanted money instead for the preservation of lesbian whales, that's where funding would flow this week from the PM, rather than Sudan.

Of course, we all know where you stand on helping black African's whose life is just cheaper than ours.
NO URLS in signature

yyz717

Sun May 08, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 4):
Of course, we all know where you stand on helping black African's whose life is just cheaper than ours.

Just like we all know where you stand on not having confidence that Africa can solve its own problems.

If you don't like contrary opinions, a/net is not for you bucko.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.