LHMark

Extra Loud Harleys.

Sun May 08, 2005 9:56 am

This post is not flamebait. It is the result of five years of urban living.

People who ride modified extra-loud Harley-Davidsons are a$$holes with a genital compensation problem. There is no other valid argument for the disturbance they cause. I agree with these bastards that the helmet law should be repealed. In fact, I think it should be illegal for them to WEAR helmets. Good friggin' riddance.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

flight152

RE: Extra Loud Harleys.

Sun May 08, 2005 9:59 am

You know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover don't you?

The location of the dirt bag.

DfwRevolution

Sun May 08, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting LHMARK (Thread starter):
People who ride modified extra-loud Harley-Davidsons are a$$holes with a genital compensation problem

Bingo... same with "men" who insist on driving trucks. Trucks with Crew-Cabs and leather. Way to go manly man...

2H4

Sun May 08, 2005 10:09 am

There is no other valid argument for the disturbance they cause

While I agree that straight pipes are obnoxious, and that Harley riders usually have genital compensation problems, there is a valid argument for the noise.

With pipes that loud, cars notice you.

It may seem trivial to non-motorcyclists, but let me tell you....one or two brushes with death from an idiot driver on their cellphone will make you think otherwise.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

FDXmech

Sun May 08, 2005 10:12 am

How about the, "men", wearing leather and driving a Prius?

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 1):
You know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover don't you?

The location of the dirt bag.

I bet your man enough to tell a biker that.
You're only as good as your last departure.

LHMark

Sun May 08, 2005 10:16 am

Not riding a dangerous machine also saves lives, and people can sleep at night.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

2H4

Sun May 08, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 4):
I bet your man enough to tell a biker that.

...Most Harley riders I've met would laugh and proudly admit they're dirtbags.

biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

LHMark

Sun May 08, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
...Most Harley riders I've met would laugh and proudly admit they're dirtbags

What, you mean "Hell's Orthodontists?" Most harley riders around here are qwhite collar professionals with a midlife crisis.

2H4

Sun May 08, 2005 10:28 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 7):
Most harley riders around here are qwhite collar professionals with a midlife crisis.

Yeah, good point. The ones I've hung out with and was referring to with were anything but white collar professionals. Much more entertaining crowd.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

N317AS

Sun May 08, 2005 10:47 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):
Bingo... same with "men" who insist on driving trucks.

What the hell is wrong with driving a truck? When you hit me with your POS rice grinder, guess who will lose?
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

david b.

Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 am

N317AS is one of those men. So sad.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

ACDC8

Sun May 08, 2005 10:58 am

I saw (heard) one in town today. I pulled up beside him at a red light and he had his radio playing. I'm still asking myself why would he have a radio on a Harley because as soon as he drove away I couldn't even hear the stereo in my pony car anymore !  no 
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

2H4

Sun May 08, 2005 11:29 am

Quoting N317AS (Reply 9):
POS rice grinder,

...Care to examine some reliability ratings and compare "rice grinders" to American trucks?

POS, indeed.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

CaptOveur

Sun May 08, 2005 4:39 pm

I know someone who wanted to buy a harley with mufflers. The dealer was shocked as hell, it took many months to get the bike.

Everyone agrees it is a civilized sounding motorcycle.

This is just like airport noise abatement and speed restrictions.. a Japanese crotch rocket may be just as loud, but it is gone in a second.. A Harley is loud as hell, and lingers around forever.

The other sacks of trash I want to bitch about are the mustang morons down the street from me. GET A FUCKING MUFFLER OR STOP DRIVING AFTER 10PM!!
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

N317AS

Sun May 08, 2005 4:47 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 12):
...Care to examine some reliability ratings and compare "rice grinders" to American trucks?

Don't bother. 100,058 miles on my Silverado. Only thing replaced is the oil, tires and a couple filters. Wouldn't own rice so.......
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

CaptOveur

Sun May 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting N317AS (Reply 14):
100,058 miles on my Silverado. Only thing replaced is the oil, tires and a couple filters. Wouldn't own rice so..

150,000mi on my 90 Accord. Most mechanics agree that is about mid-life on the engine. The car even LOOKS decent still. Aside from those annoying fucking automatic seatbelts.

Change oil, filters, regular mx items especially timing belts and there is no reason the car shouldn't last another 150,000 miles.

It uses maybe 1/4 of a quart of oil every 3k miles. My 88 Caprice, god rest its soul, was a great car but it used a quart every thousand at 185,000 miles and it needed a little more sweet talking and fixing to live that long. And it looked like ass towards the end.

N1120A

Sun May 08, 2005 5:03 pm

People who ride modified extra-loud Harley-Davidsons are a$$holes with a genital compensation problem. There is no other valid argument for the disturbance they cause.

First off, Harley's come from the factory about as loud as a bike gets anyway. The sound is actually patented. Also, there is a saying "loud pipes save lives" and they mean it. When there were noise restrictions on motorcycles, deaths went up 5 fold. They got rid of the restrictions and it dropped dramatically.

Oh, and the "don't ride them then" argument definately does not work considering how much less fuel motorcycles use, as well as other raw materials, they are a good thing.

Quoting N317AS (Reply 9):
What the hell is wrong with driving a truck? When you hit me with your POS rice grinder, guess who will lose?

Some of the least safe vehicles out there are trucks. This includes SUVs and Pickups. I have had friends hit "rice" with their full size trucks and tear up their knees while the "rice" owner was unscathed. I have seen more people die in trucks than anything, so I think we know who loses there. Add to that fuel economy and waste of resources.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LHMark

Sun May 08, 2005 9:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
First off, Harley's come from the factory about as loud as a bike gets anyway. The sound is actually patented. Also, there is a saying "loud pipes save lives" and they mean it. When there were noise restrictions on motorcycles, deaths went up 5 fold. They got rid of the restrictions and it dropped dramatically.

Oh, and the "don't ride them then" argument definately does not work considering how much less fuel motorcycles use, as well as other raw materials, they are a good thing.

The d*ckheads cruising around on straight-pipe harleys did not buy them because they wanted a more energy-efficient method of commuting. They bought them as a substitute for a personality- a "look at me, I'm a rebel" image. Since they just cruise around on them to be noticed, and heard, by others, it would be even more energy-efficient if they stayed at home.

Bottom line, these things are louder than DC-8s landing. The community has a right to sleep at 2 in the morning. There are HUNDREDS of these "rebels" here, so it's a pretty constant barrage of noise all night. What I don't understand is why they aren't ticketed. Here in Rochester, we have a law against excessive car stereo volume, in which repeaded violators can have their cars impounded. Why do the harley guys get a pass?

I'm going to get active about it, and start harassing the mayor's office.

Boeing Nut

Sun May 08, 2005 10:46 pm

Wow, I never realized how much people hate these things. I personally really don't mind them so much. I would never own one as I don't have the "passion" for riding/owning one, but sometimes I think they are kinda cool. But that's just me.

LHMARK, you have a good point there. It should be all or nothing.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

2H4

Mon May 09, 2005 12:11 am

Don't bother. 100,058 miles on my Silverado.

Well there we have it. Definitive evidence that American trucks are higher quality than "rice grinders". 100,058 miles. Staggering.

Yeah sure

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 15):
150,000mi on my 90 Accord. Most mechanics agree that is about mid-life on the engine.

Not even, man. I bought a '90 Accord with 150,000 miles on it and drove it to 295,000. Never once left me stranded or ran poorly. Not once.

Ditto for a '92 Civic I drove from 142,000 to 225,000. The best part? The Accord cost $1500, and the Civic cost $2500.

It's absolutely impossible to get more reliability and more mileage out of less money.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

aerobalance

Mon May 09, 2005 1:03 am

A great marketing coup by Harley......It actually costs them less to 'make' them loud - and still charge a premium price for the 'sound'. Tells you how idiotic Harley owners are for paying good money for less refinement.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

CORULEZ05

Mon May 09, 2005 1:35 am

People who ride modified extra-loud Harley-Davidsons are a$$holes with a genital compensation problem.

I totally agree. These guys think they are all that just because they ride a Harley. Big freaking deal. Just reminds me of those guys who drive those big Ford Trucks (250 and so on)...reminds me of a fellow user...  Confused
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

2H4

Mon May 09, 2005 1:59 am

Think loud pipes represent a genital compensation problem?

Allow me to present "Trucknuts"...proof positive that certain people should be forbidden to breed:

Apologies to the rest of the world for my country's idiocy.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Go3Team

Mon May 09, 2005 2:51 am

Since were talking mileages here, mine as passed the 300k mark (looks it too) and my work vehicle is pushing 320k. It's all a matter of (most of the time) how well its taken care of.

As for the bikes, I can't hear them anyway, unless its the a$$ at the end of the street.
Yay Pudding!

andz

Mon May 09, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 3):
It may seem trivial to non-motorcyclists, but let me tell you....one or two brushes with death from an idiot driver on their cellphone will make you think otherwise.

I agree, I have had more of those than I care to remember, but when my Yamaha had the standard exhaust system on I did seem to be more invisible in the traffic.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 13):
Everyone agrees it is a civilized sounding motorcycle.

Sorry can't agree with you there, a Harley is an obnoxious, overrated, overpriced, poseurcycle.... and makes an awful racket.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ShyFlyer

Mon May 09, 2005 4:03 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 3):
With pipes that loud, cars notice you.

Tell that to emergency vehicle drivers who go down the road sirens and air horns blasting and yet few vehicles yield. The car's stereo and soundproofing (and driver inattention) mute all that noise.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 3):

Exactly why I wear very bright clothing while riding.
I lift things up and put them down.

2H4

Mon May 09, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 25):
Tell that to emergency vehicle drivers who go down the road sirens and air horns blasting and yet few vehicles yield. The car's stereo and soundproofing (and driver inattention) mute all that noise.

Well, it's a fact....drivers frequently merge into me and pull out in front of me when I'm on my quiet bike, yet it almost never happens when I'm on my loud one.

Things may very well be different in Norway, but here in the US, I believe the plight of emergency vehicle drivers is more a matter of apathy on the part of motorists. Additionally, driver training in the US is effectively nonexistant. Got a pulse? Here's your driver's license. It's criminal.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

dtwclipper

Mon May 09, 2005 4:26 am

I can not stand them!

They are loud and distrub my peace. I think these "noise saves lives" answers are pure BS.

I would love to see a ban on these loud P.O.S. bikes and cars put into effect.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

LHMark

Mon May 09, 2005 4:47 am

2H4, good point on American driving requrements. So many people drive with a sense of immortality and superiority. I gotta take issue with your other statement, though.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
Well, it's a fact....drivers frequently merge into me and pull out in front of me when I'm on my quiet bike, yet it almost never happens when I'm on my loud one.

Harleys are almost as big as subcompact cars, anyway. Somehow, I manage to ride my comparatively dinky bicycle in traffic and not die, without having to make a loud rumbling sound through a megaphone, or anything!

Sure, yutzes will drive like jerks, or not pay attention, but it'm my duty, as the guardian of my own ass, to be defensive and anticipate the moves of others. One thing I'm certain of: The desire to ride my bike certainly does not take precedence over the quality of life of an entire city of people.

I think a lot of loud harley drivin' dudes just don't think about their numbers: as far as the biker is concerned, it's just him, and he'll be past in a couple of minutes, so what's the problem?

The problem is that rugged individualist Harley owners are as rare as Dave Matthews Band fans. They're everywhere! The barrage of noise is constant.

In fairness, there are lots of guys who buy the motorcycle of their dreams, and still manage to remember that the rest of the world exists, and that their inner audience is a figment of the imagination. To those dudes, I say ride to your heart's content, and nice bike!

N1120A

Mon May 09, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 17):
Why do the harley guys get a pass?

Because far too many got killed when they tried to quiet their pipes. The same is true of Sportbikes, which are just as loud just at a different pitch. Quite frankly, those wake me up far more often than Harleys do because of the high pitch they emit, which fires up your heart so fast you freak out.

The d*ckheads cruising around on straight-pipe harleys did not buy them because they wanted a more energy-efficient method of commuting

A lot of them to used them for commuting

Since they just cruise around on them to be noticed, and heard, by others, it would be even more energy-efficient if they stayed at home.

So, now you want to tell people they have to stay home?

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 23):
Since were talking mileages here, mine as passed the 300k mark (looks it too) and my work vehicle is pushing 320k. It's all a matter of (most of the time) how well its taken care of.

Diesel powered?

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 28):
Harleys are almost as big as subcompact cars, anyway.

Now you know that is completely untrue

Somehow, I manage to ride my comparatively dinky bicycle in traffic and not die,

You have a lot more places to go. You have dedicated bike lanes, gutters, sidewalk escape routes, etc. You can also squeeze in to traffic better and are not traveling at the same rate of speed as a motorcyclist. Finally, bicycle riders act far more often like they own the world than motorcycle riders, constantly zipping into blindspots and almost killing themselves.

pilotsmoe

Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 am

Don't bother. 100,058 miles on my Silverado. Only thing replaced is the oil, tires and a couple filters. Wouldn't own rice so.......

Let me guess, is this the truck with the Japanese built diesel engine?  Yeah sure

2H4

Mon May 09, 2005 8:17 am

Somehow, I manage to ride my comparatively dinky bicycle in traffic and not die, without having to make a loud rumbling sound through a megaphone, or anything!

Good point, but it's still apples and oranges. Bicycles generally do not keep up with traffic....thus, they are viewed by drivers as obstacles to avoid. Motorcycles, on the other hand, do keep up with traffic, and are often stuck in a driver's blind spot for minutes at a time. So, to many drivers, motorcycles are not obstacles to avoid, but fellow motor vehicles "that better stay out of my way".

Additionally, there's the problem of perspective and speed. When a car is preparing to pull out into traffic, or preparing to make a left turn across lanes of oncoming traffic, the driver is usually bad at judging the closing speed of a motorcycle. When a driver pulls out in front of you at the last second, it's easy to stop in time on a bicycle...you're only doing 15-25mph, and the bike weighs 20-30lbs. When you're doing 40-50mph on a motorcycle, it's a lot more difficult to safely harness the momentum and energy in the last possible second.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 27):
I think these "noise saves lives" answers are pure BS.

Just out of curiousity, how long have you been riding motorcycles?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

N1120A

Mon May 09, 2005 8:25 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 27):
I think these "noise saves lives" answers are pure BS.

Like 2H4 said, have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Also, go ask the California Highway Patrol about their Loud Pipes Save Lives program? The most environmentally conscious state in the country was the one that pioneered an end to motorcycle noise reduction regulations because the statistics said that people were dying at an alarming clip. This went way down after the loud pipes came back

FDXmech

Mon May 09, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 22):
Think loud pipes represent a genital compensation problem?

If that's true then sign me up.

Seriously though, sorta. A loud Harley sounds great. Not a steady diet of course but the occasional unmuffled V twin sounds like a DC3 on take-off.

A loud Japanese bike sounds like a sewing machine on steroids; instant headache.
You're only as good as your last departure.

LHMark

Mon May 09, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks, N1120A. Maybe they have dedicated bike lanes in France, but you sure as hell won't find them here. I appreciate the option of diving into the gutter, though.

Anyway, how does any of this really address my point? How is it ok for people to deal with the ear-splitting racket, sacrificing sleep and sanity so a minority can ride around on extra-loud harleys? It is urban bullying. Justify it.

2H4

Mon May 09, 2005 12:06 pm

LHMark, your point is well taken.

The problem you're describing is more directly attributed to the riders than the pipes themselves. One of my bikes is rather loud, but if I'm riding through a residential neighborhood at 1am, I run the engine at lower RPMs to keep quiet (and avoid attracting cops). It's a simple matter of not flooring it at every stoplight and being conservative with the engine RPM.

The problem is, these inconsiderate asshole showoffs give the rest of us a bad name. Quiet residential areas at night are neither the time nor the place for being loud and/or enjoying the sound of your engine.

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 33):
Seriously though, sorta. A loud Harley sounds great. Not a steady diet of course but the occasional unmuffled V twin sounds like a DC3 on take-off.

I think some of the straight pipes on Harleys are a bit over the top, but I know exactly what you mean, FDX. Last summer, I had the chance to ride a Triumph Thruxton with mildly modified pipes. The first thing that came to mind was how vividly it reminded me of a Meyers open-cockpit biplane I flew several years ago. What an experience!

I think it's all about finding a happy medium...loud enough to let cars know you're there and to enhance the sound of the engine, but reasonable enough to avoid deafening those around you.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ShyFlyer

Mon May 09, 2005 12:36 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
Things may very well be different in Norway,

True, but I've never been there.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
I believe the plight of emergency vehicle drivers is more a matter of apathy on the part of motorists.

Apathy plays a part, but its not the whole enchilada. Modern automobiles are soundproofed, some more that others. Point is, it is very hard to hear anything outside the vehicle.

alert Visibility is the key to safety when on two wheels.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Because far too many got killed when they tried to quiet their pipes.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
Also, go ask the California Highway Patrol about their Loud Pipes Save Lives program?

Are there any published studies on loud pipes and safety? Seriously, I'd like to have a look at them if they are available.

ORFflyer

Tue May 10, 2005 2:22 am

Lot's of different opinions here, and most have a valid point, one way or the other.

Now, for my  twocents 

Too many good quotes to go back and plug here, so I'll simply offer this;

Harley's are the bike of choice for police departments in nearly every state of the US. These may not be the loud straight pipe Harleys that seem to be getting the most attention here, but a fact nonetheless. Must be a reason.

The comment about the rider versus the pipes is perfect. Even a LOUD harley can be ridden with courtesy through neighborhoods.

This seems to be almost a typical NIMBY argument. Since I don't like/ride/want a Harley, nobody that rides near me should either. What's the difference between this and arguing about jet noise??  banghead 

We have the jet noise jackasses here, and along with that, we have dumbasses that complain about sitting in traffic waiting for a bridge lift to finish. They think the water traffic should be halted for the morning and afternoon commutes. This is total CRAP if you ask me.... a few soccer moms & dads want the tugs, barges, and other commercial river traffic to grind to a complete halt while he/she gets to or from work without any headaches. These idiots are clueless to the fact that these folks are already at work!!  crazy 

If you don't like the sound of Harleys, fine, but don't have a  hissyfit  Remember glass-houses folks!!

Chip

KROC

Tue May 10, 2005 2:25 am

Mark - Were you able to wash the sand out of your clit after this episode?

N1120A

Tue May 10, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 34):
Thanks, N1120A. Maybe they have dedicated bike lanes in France, but you sure as hell won't find them here. I appreciate the option of diving into the gutter, though.

Mark, you have been here longer than I have so I am sure in my nearly 4900 posts you have noticed that I am a half-French, half-Iranian American who has lived in either California or New Orleans my whole life with the exception of the better part of a year living in London. There are plenty of bike lanes in the US and bicyclists have many more excape routes and more maneuverability that motorcyclists have

It is urban bullying.

Not at all. Urban bullying in people trying to bully others because they use a smaller vehicle.

How is it ok for people to deal with the ear-splitting racket, sacrificing sleep and sanity so a minority can ride around on extra-loud harleys?

Well, we also sacrifice safety and space because a minority drive large SUVs. Same goes for rights-of-way for car drivers with people on bikes. It is a trade off. Harleys are not the only loud bikes, all bikes are loud for reasons mentioned above.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 36):
Are there any published studies on loud pipes and safety? Seriously, I'd like to have a look at them if they are available.

Yes, you should write the California Highway Patrol.

Quoting KROC (Reply 38):
Mark - Were you able to wash the sand out of your clit after this episode?

OOOOOOOOOF, that was harsh man. Good thing you are a mod

ShyFlyer

Tue May 10, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Yes, you should write the California Highway Patrol.

Thanks, but I was thinking in terms of published online.

bristolflyer

Wed May 11, 2005 8:27 am

'Loud pipes save lives'? So do helmets but you don't see many people wearing 'em in the US.

Can't see that any biker can use the 'loud pipes save lives' excuse if he isn't wearing a helmet.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

N1120A

Wed May 11, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 40):
Thanks, but I was thinking in terms of published online.

No idea, but I have a good link for you www.google.com Big grin

CaptOveur

Wed May 11, 2005 11:24 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 24):
Sorry can't agree with you there, a Harley is an obnoxious, overrated, overpriced, poseurcycle.... and makes an awful racket.

Ever hear one with mufflers? This one has mufflers and it sounds civilized

AirWillie6475

Wed May 11, 2005 12:14 pm

Those guys have given many near heart atacks with those loud accelerations. I hate it when they are waiting for the light and they rev their engines to maximum because you never expect it. I swear to christ those things are louder then a fighter jet going 700 knots. There should be some nose laws against those bikes.

TUNisia

Wed May 11, 2005 1:49 pm

My little sister's 91 Volvo has 487K miles on it. Still runs great! It's been in the family since new.

About the Harleys... I'm no fan, but what would happen if we outlawed everything we hated? What would be left?
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

andz

Wed May 11, 2005 2:43 pm

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 43):
Ever hear one with mufflers? This one has mufflers and it sounds civilized

I guess I haven't because here they are all horribly loud.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

CaptOveur

Wed May 11, 2005 3:02 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 46):
I guess I haven't because here they are all horribly loud.

They are a rarity.. As I said, the bike had to be special ordered.

sccutler

Wed May 11, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 12):

POS, indeed.

When real work absolutely, positively has to get done, it's Ford or Chevy, not Toyota or Nissan. My many clients in the construction trades make their choices based upon what works best and longest, while costing the least (in maintenance and in productivity). Truck of choice for the really heavy work is almost always a Ford F350 diesel.

===

As for you Harley folks, check out: http://www.hog-air.com/

Sounds like sweet music...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...