airlinelover

Where Were You When The Challenger Blew Up?

Mon May 09, 2005 9:13 am

I was in school. My mom called and brought some extra tv's for us all to watch it on..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

allstarflyer

RE: Where Were You When The Challenger Blew Up?

Mon May 09, 2005 9:21 am

Strangely, I was sick that day from school. Mom and I were watching it in the kitchen, and when the shuttle exploded, I knew it was over, even though, to my memory, it was like nobody was really saying anything. Just shock. I still remember that it was like those rockets on the sides were veering off from the explosion. I remember it fairly well.

-R
Living the American Dream

jfkaua

Mon May 09, 2005 9:24 am

i was sleepign.. my mom woke me up n turned on the tv... what was the date? again

airlinelover

Mon May 09, 2005 9:26 am

I think it was 1-28-85.. .. or 1-30-85

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Newark777

Mon May 09, 2005 9:27 am

Quoting Jfkaua (Reply 2):
i was sleepign.. my mom woke me up n turned on the tv... what was the date? again

I believe you are thinking of the Columbia, since you probably weren't born yet when the Challenger blew up. Of course, I wasn't, either.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

DfwRevolution

Mon May 09, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 3):
I think it was 1-28-85.. .. or 1-30-85

Challenger - January 28, 1986

Columbia - February 1, 2003

aerorobnz

Mon May 09, 2005 9:32 am

Probably at Playcentre, or asleep in bed after a day of eating/drinking/burping/pooping/crying/watching planes. It was not really a big event for me personally.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

PacificWestern

Mon May 09, 2005 9:43 am

I was in Palm Springs, California sick with strep throat. I had a dangerously high fever. When the fever broke, I had to stop and wonder if the Challenger had actually blown up or if it had just been part of the fever and I imagined it.

air2gxs

Mon May 09, 2005 9:45 am

I was looking for a job. I was interviewing in an upholstery place and the radio was on in the background. I actually told the owner to quiet down a second.

jfkaua

Mon May 09, 2005 9:46 am

oo yes my bad i was thinking of columbia

Springbok747

Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 am

Uh..I was 3 years old, making my parents' lives miserable as usual Big grin I had no idea what Challenger was...
אני תומך בישראל

NWADC9

Mon May 09, 2005 9:51 am

I wasn't born yet, so n/a
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

SmithAir747

Mon May 09, 2005 10:02 am

I was a fourth-grader at Faith Christian Academy, Auburn, IN.

That day, we had a day off school (winter weather?). Mom, Dad, my little sister, and I were in Fort Wayne, IN (my little sister was having her artificial legs adjusted there). It was either on the TV or radio that we heard about the Challenger explosion. I remember seeing it on TV later.

Strangely, that week had been a terrible week for our school, too. Several people from the school had been tragically killed in a car-train accident (the school librarian, her kids, and one or two other boys in the car all together).
That week was full of funerals for all of them. The day that Challenger exploded, we went to see the body of one of the boys in our town funeral home (after being in Fort Wayne). Altogether, that week was a week of tragedy for both our nation and our school.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

StevenUhl777

Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 am

I was in 2nd period of Global Studies at Ogden Jr. High School in Oregon City, Oregon. I was in 7th grade at the time.

The principal made an announcement over the loudspeaker about what had happened, and to this day I still remember the looks on other students' faces after the announcement was made.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

beefer

Mon May 09, 2005 9:42 pm

I was in 10th Grade and sitting in a Math Class (Geometry, I think). The school secretary came over the PA and announced that the Challenger has blown up and that everyone on board had died.

I also remember the looks on all of the other kids faces but I especially remember the reaction from our teacher. He was visibly shaken and after a few minutes he told us that he had applied for that teacher in space mission and had actually made the first cut. I'm sure he was thinking all sorts of thoughts about what would have happened had he been the teacher chosen for the mission.

The other interesting thing was that school pretty much went on like normal the rest of the day. My Dad picked me up after school that afternoon and we went down to the local Department store (Pamida) to the Video department so that I could watch the coverage on TV. That was the first time I saw the explosion for myself.

Revelation

Mon May 09, 2005 9:44 pm

I guess I'm 'old man of the thread'  Smile I was a year or two out of college an was in line at the company cafeteria when a co-worker mentioned it. He did it so casually that I thought he was making a bad joke. It took quite a while for the reality to sink in. None of us thought such a thing could happen. Afterwords I read a great deal about it and then realized how much risk is taken every time the thing flies.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

clrd2go

Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

I was eating lunch in my office at work. A guy walked in and told me..this was
pre-internet so of course I couldn't jut log on and read about it somewhere. that afternoon I had to go to a meeting at another facility and it was very difficult to concentrate on what was taking place.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

tristarenvy

Mon May 09, 2005 10:00 pm

I was sleeping. I was working a part-time job at a K-mart in the town I had just graduated from college. Normally, I'd have been in the TV section, too. I got up about 1 pm, and made myself a sandwich, and grabbed a Coke. I popped on the TV, and surfed thu channels to get to a TV show I watched at 2. Noticed all the news guys on...They took forever to show what had happened.

A friend of mines dad was a NASA engineer, and had an experiment on Challenger.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Falcon84

Mon May 09, 2005 10:01 pm

I had slept in that morning, since then I didn't have a job, and was taking care of my Grandma in our house.

I do remember waking up and thinking "oh yeah, that teacher goes into space today...what if something happened"?

I got out of bed, maybe two minutes after the explosion. I went to check on grandma, and she was visibly upset-she couldn't speak much by then-and then I looked over at the TV........

I'll never forget that moment.
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

Mon May 09, 2005 10:17 pm

Jan 26 1986 ? I was at AFB Grootfontein, in Namibia. I think I saw the news of the Challenger blowing up on TV, I certainly remember the slew of sick military-style jokes that came over the teleprinter network shortly afterwards.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANCFlyer

Mon May 09, 2005 10:22 pm

I was at Ft. Knox, Kentucky - had my trainee platoon at a map reading class. We took longer breaks that day and watched the coverage on the news.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Mon May 09, 2005 10:36 pm

I was at Wright-Patterson working LOGAIR on the swing shift. I woke up and turned on the TV right after it happened. I was pretty much glued to the TV until I had to head to work. Nobody at work had heard the news so I broke it to them. A number of folks didn't believe me.....

regards
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

redngold

Mon May 09, 2005 10:38 pm

I was in fifth period English class in sixth grade, middle school. In sixth period I was in concert band and our teacher tried to tell us that the Challenger had exploded. She was a real joker (Mrs. Beale) and we didn't really believe her and told her it was the worst joke she had ever tried to pull on us. She just sat there with this sad look on her face and some of us may have actually started to believe she was telling the truth.

In seventh period - science class for me - the Principal made an announcement over the PA. Our teacher, Mrs. Adamson, said we were going to talk about the Challenger disaster and its impact on scientific research and progress for the next two days. I don't know if she did that with all of her classes, but our class was the gifted and talented class, and I think she wanted to let us know that if we wanted to become astronauts or space/astronomy researchers before the explosion, we shouldn't let our dreams die, even if we might face harsh realities.

I think the Challenger explosion was especially hard on teachers because it was Christa McAuliffe's flight. If you were too young or otherwise don't remember, she was a grade school teacher who was selected to be the first civilian aboard a Space Shuttle flight. She trained for two(?) years along with the professional astronauts, essentially becoming an astronaut herself. Mrs. McAuliffe carried with her the aspirations, hopes, and dreams of not only millions of children, but the grateful wishes and hurrahs of thousands of teachers. Hundreds if not thousands of children and teachers watched the Challenger's liftoff for that very reason, and less than two minutes later, watched their dreams evaporate in a seemingly benign puff of white that then rained flaming debris. The video and photos are burned into my own memory, but I wonder how much more it affected those who saw it live.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Falcon84

Mon May 09, 2005 10:39 pm

One of the things that make the Challenger disaster and it's immediate aftermath memorable in NE Ohio is that when the memorial service was on, with President Reagan leading the mourning, we were struck by, what is for us a large earthquake, measuring 5.0 on the Richter. I was watching the service for the astronauts, and was walking into the kitchen, when I felt the ground shake violently, and the plants my mom had on a hanging shelf were swaying back and forth. My grandma didn't believe it, but local news cut into the service to report that, yes, you weren't imagining things, we had just had an earthquake.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AA777

Mon May 09, 2005 11:21 pm

I was about.... 15 months old.... lol...and living in Saudi Arabia.....

-AA777

Klaus

Tue May 10, 2005 12:18 am

I and a few friends were on our way to a restaurant; We went to pick up another guy and I still vividly remember us all crowding his small room and staring at his small TV where the images of the disaster were just replayed. It was quite a shock for all of us. Sad

The shuttle launches had appeared so routine before...

PHLBOS

Tue May 10, 2005 12:23 am

I was working at a Friendly's (during my sophmore semester break) at the time when the manager told us about it when she heard it on the radio. Most of us were shocked when we heard the news.

Edited to add:

I was at home working on my tax forms when me brother called me on the phone and told me about the Columbia disaster. After that, I had the TV on for about 2 hours.

[Edited 2005-05-09 17:28:34]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

dl021

Tue May 10, 2005 12:24 am

I was at Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood when the Challenger exploded.

I was in bed at home when a friend called me to tell me to turn on the television when the Columbia came apart on re-entry.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Thom@s

Tue May 10, 2005 12:53 am

No idea.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ltbewr

Tue May 10, 2005 12:55 am

I was at work, here in NY City. I was in the Mailroom, and a guy who worked there walked into the room to start his day, and said that the shuttle blew up. I then returned to my desk area, someone set up a small tv and we watched the news for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Not a good day. Later, the evening news had extensive coverage, including replays of the launch.

Tom in NO

Tue May 10, 2005 12:56 am

Challenger:
At work at our old 6th and Vermont offices of the Los Angeles County Aviation Division. Our director had a TV on his office when the first news came.

We had a memorial service at one of our airports (Compton) a bit later on (as I recall, Ron McNair had spent some time in the area).

Columbia:
At my desk at home, found out via an a.net post, immediately turned on the TV.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

tristarenvy

Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 am

In Tampa, on a good day, you can see launches from Canaveral, and my not-yet-wife was driving to a college class watching it go up.

And since we are posting some Columbia items, too, I was at work as a traffic reporter getting set to do a top of the hour TV report for our local NBC affiliate, when the news anchor said, "Columbia's landing was running behind". I called the producer of the show, and said asked what was up. He's a big av-fan, too, and he said something wasn't right, NASA had gotten quiet about feed times, suddenly. We both thought that meant something bad. Then NBC went to a "Special Report" and they started to feed that video from Dallas that we have all seen of the shuttle breaking apart. Tampa was having it's big Gasparilla parade that day, and the organizers were unsure as to what to do. Part of the celebrations had begun, and there were several thousand people downtown to participate. Then news began to break about parts landing in Texas, and since I had lived and gone to school in East Texas, I got a hold of our news people and gave them the proper pronunciations of some of the towns.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Logan22L

Tue May 10, 2005 2:10 am

I had dropped out of graduate school, and was back living at home.  Sad I had just had a job interview a day or so before, and I was waiting to hear about that. So, I slept late and when I got up, my mom was watching it on TV.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

jpetekyxmd80

Tue May 10, 2005 2:14 am

Newly conceived  Smile

filler
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Superfly

Tue May 10, 2005 2:38 am

I was in 7th grade. We watched it in my 'Computers' class. We used the Radio Shack TRS-80s. They were already outdated by 1986.
Bring back the Concorde

EMBQA

Tue May 10, 2005 5:37 am

Challenger - January 28, 1986....On my way home from a College course.

Columbia - February 1, 2003....My Dad died the next day, so a lot of that was missed by me.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Leezyjet

Tue May 10, 2005 6:12 am

I had just got home from school (was 10 at the time) and watched it on John Craven's Newsround on BBC1.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

planespotterx

Tue May 10, 2005 6:18 am

Dont forget a common misconception is that the crew instantly died from the explosion but infact a less-known fact is that they actually died when the cockpit section they were in crashed in the ocean from that height, same goes for Columbia.
If NASA had installed parachutes on both vehicles then 14 lives could have possibly been saved, and at the end of the day the shuttle can always be re-made.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

VSlover

Tue May 10, 2005 6:23 am

challenger:

was in my parents bedroom watching TV while they were getting ready for work...i was 6 at the time.

columbia:

i was in my high-rise apt in manhattan sitting in the living room just staring out on the cold, gray hudson--i could sleep the night before and was out of it-- when one roomate comes out of his bedroom and says "turn on the TV" and we sat and watched coverage for a few hours, he was more affected because he had worked at NASA for a few summers.

aaflt1871

Tue May 10, 2005 6:40 am

I was in the 4th grade on a field trip at the White House when she blew up. We had met Nancy Reagan just 10 minutes before it happened. I will never forget her scream that day when it happened.
Where did everybody go?

AGC525

Tue May 10, 2005 6:50 am

Challenger - I was home sick from scool in the 4th grade, watched it on TV

Columbia - I walked into a VFW in Gettysburg to ask for directions. They said it blew up while landing and lost contact. I thought it was shot down by sand bandits.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

redngold

Tue May 10, 2005 6:55 am

Planespotterx -

Parachutes or a shock absorbent cabin might have saved the lives of the Challenger crew, but Columbia was 400,000 miles above the earth when she broke apart.

In addition, Columbia was at a height where uncontrolled descent caused almost every piece of wreckage to be scorched or burned to some degree. Nobody could have survived an exposed descent from that altitude, and it's unlikely that, without a control mechanism, a cabin could have sustained life amidst the high temperatures caused by atmospheric friction. In fact, it was the temperatures sustained by unprotected wing surface that caused the breakup in the first place.

redngold

PS When Columbia broke up I was in a college class. I found out when I got in my car and turned on the radio. They were broadcasting the Q&A portion of the NASA news conference, and I immediately knew something had gone wrong with a shuttle because they were talking about the heat shield tiles. What a sad day...
Up, up and away!

texdravid

Tue May 10, 2005 10:28 am

I was a senior in high school, and when I got back from lunch, a girl said "The space shuttle blew up!!"

I couldn't believe it, even when I went to the Principal's room between classes and saw it.

Those who died that day were true heroes who suffered a horrible death. Later research and investigation showed that the shuttle astronauts activated extra oxygen and were probably alive for the entire time until the crew compartment hit the water several minutes later.

Those aboard the Columbia probably died instantly and never knew what hit them, as their craft disintegrated almost immediately.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

dvk

Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 am

Challenger: I was an intern checking on my patients in the CCU when the telemetry technician told me what had happened.

Columbia: I was on the interstate driving back to BHM from Wetumpka, AL, where I was going to do some extra work on the film Big Fish the following Monday.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

pilotsmoe

Tue May 10, 2005 11:24 am

umm, lets see... I was two weeks old when the chalenger blew up so I was probably at home in a crib pissing and shitting myself...
Colombia- I heard about it when I was driving down the parkway.. I was heading out to the field to madien my new r/c plane I had built over the winter that year...(still have the plane)

[Edited 2005-05-10 04:39:23]

[Edited 2005-05-10 04:40:10]

prosa

Tue May 10, 2005 11:52 am

Challenger: I was at work when a co-worker said that the space shuttle had blown up and everyone was dead. It was quite hard to believe, as I had never thought of the shuttle as dangerous (naive, I know). Anyway, it was a bit frustrating because there were no television sets in the workplace, so my co-workers and I were limited to following the story on the radio.

Columbia: I came home from the supermarket and my stepson, who had been on the computer, said that the shuttle had exploded. Needless to say, I was able to follow this story on television.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MxCtrlr

Tue May 10, 2005 12:26 pm

I was working at PA on the ramp when we heard about it in the breakroom. That place got as quiet as a tomb - it was eerie. A bunch of us were hoping to see Challenger come gliding into MIA (as it was (is?) an alternate emergency runway) but alas, it was not to be.

My brother, who was a Purser for PA, was in-flight coming into MIA that morning and saw the launch plume. His Captain was talking to the pax on the PA about the launch and then they saw the explosion - The mood of the flight was quite sober the rest of the trip into MIA.

One trivia bit, who was the host of The Tonight Show that night? It was one of the shorter monologues in the history of that show.

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

sunking737

Tue May 10, 2005 12:40 pm

I was home from work the day Challenger blew up, in Minneapolis, and my future Parents in law were at Kennedy that day to see the launch. They told us about later it was sad. Dad said it was real cold, almost like they were in MN and not Fla.

Columbia, I was home recovering for a work comp. Injury. I was off for 130 days so I got to see a lot of TV and many hours online.

These were very sad days in aviation and space.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

ltbewr

Tue May 10, 2005 1:16 pm

I commented above about the Challanger, which happened just before Noon/ 12:00 EST that day.
As to the Columbia, I was home, in my apartment, at my computer websurfing, had CNN on. Around 8:45 am EST. Miles O'Brien, whom handles a lot of space related stories for CNN came on to note the anticipated arrival of Columbia in Florida in about 15-20 minutes and that CNN would show it live. I waited and see the anticipated landing as I hadn't seen one for long time. Then it became apparent about 9:05 am, the anticipated landing time, that there was a problem. Did it make an emergency landing? Did it crash? Did it somehow abort it's landing? By 9:15 it was apparent with info comming in via Texas area residents and news stations there reporting of debris falling from the air.
What a terrible experience. I followed the story the rest of the morning, and then later that day.

dvk

Tue May 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Joan Rivers hosted the Tonight Show the evening the Challenger blew up. I remember it vividly. She showed a gentler, yet still humorous side that I think was one of her finest hours.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.