COAMiG29
Topic Author

What Do You All Think Of Trains?

Tue May 10, 2005 5:49 am

what do yall think of trains?
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

Newark777

Tue May 10, 2005 5:55 am

A nice but expensive way to get into Manhattan.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

whitehatter

Tue May 10, 2005 5:56 am

an even more expensive way of getting from Heathrow almost into London
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

September11

Tue May 10, 2005 5:57 am

Train? OK

Given this situation: I am in Los Angeles and I have to go to Las Vegas. I only have 2 choices:

1st choice: Take the train
2nd choice: Fly on AA from LAX to ORD, then ORD to LAS...

I'll pick 2nd choice!!!!
Airliners.net of the Future

Newark777

Tue May 10, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 3):
Train? OK

Given this situation: I am in Los Angeles and I have to go to Las Vegas. I only have 2 choices:

I'll pick 2nd choice!!!!

The drive isn't that long...

Harry

Leskova

Tue May 10, 2005 6:16 am

There are few, if any, trips within Germany where I'd prefer the plane over the train - the plane has little to no advantage in travel time, the train is cheaper and, above all, much more comfortable.

The situation is different, though, as soon as the destination is outside the borders of Germany, which is where I'd rather fly than take the train.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

BCNGRO

Tue May 10, 2005 6:19 am

Trains suck.  yuck 

I take the train to the university everyday. I have traveled nearly 20,000km by train in the last two years. That is so boring...

BCNGRO
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Greyhound

Tue May 10, 2005 6:20 am

The train is a nice way to go... if you've got the time and money. Amtrak- San Diego to Seattle cost as much as the plane and took as long as the bus for me. But it was a beautiful trip, to say the least. The Pacific Surfliner to LA took us right along the coast, and the Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Seattle. It was nice in some places; the only thing there was the train, the track and that was it.
29th, Let's Go!

Mexicana757

Tue May 10, 2005 7:30 am

Trains are ok for long journeys, but when you have to take them everyday to work you get sick of them and trip seems to take longer more time you spend taking it.

I had a good experience in Spain with trains from Valencia to Barcelona. I recommend business class on RENFE.

FlyingTexan

Tue May 10, 2005 7:48 am

Amtrak serves Vegas by way of bus from SoCal. No Amtrak trains come to sin city anymore. I frequently see motor coaches that say ‘Amtrak California.’ Keep in mind there is copious air service SoCal to McCarran.

I have an Amtrak trip scheduled next week MSY-HOU. I have never taken a ‘cross-country’ train in the States.

The ticket was only $41.00 and the journey takes 9 hours. Luckily, I have time to spare right now. I am looking forward to the experience and scenic views. Albeit, I’m expecting swamps and rivers in Louisiana and chemical plants nestled among piney woods in East Texas.

Amtrak called me this weekend regarding mailing a paper ticket. (as opposed to picking it up at a ‘will call’ window). I guess they have yet to enter the age of electronic tickets.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Newark777

Tue May 10, 2005 7:54 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 9):
Amtrak called me this weekend regarding mailing a paper ticket. (as opposed to picking it up at a ‘will call’ window). I guess they have yet to enter the age of electronic tickets.

I have used electronic tickets many times on Amtrak. I select my ticket online, print out the ticket, and then pick up my "real" ticket at the station when I get there.

Harry

COAMiG29
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2005 11:55 am

sorry about wasting the time here, my friend at school bet me $5.00 that i wouldent say somthing about trains on airliners.net and now thanks to all of you here in the non av forum im $5.00 richer thanks for playing along and sry for using ur time

--COAMiG29--
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

September11

Tue May 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Quoting COAMiG29 (Reply 11):
thanks to all of you here in the non av forum im $5.00 richer thanks for playing along

no problem ... I had good time, lol. Can I borrow $1.00 from you?
Airliners.net of the Future

BMIFlyer

Tue May 10, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting COAMiG29 (Thread starter):

I work on them. Good job (when things run well) and good money too.

I Won't stay here forever tho......

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

57AZ

Tue May 10, 2005 5:42 pm

I worked on vintage trains for a decade. Quite an experiance and one that I would not trade for anything. Aside from ships, they are the most economical and efficient shipping method for large bulk goods. Not so great for intercity travel in North America due to the poor network outside of the West Coast and the Northeast Corridore. Aside from the technology, the passenger train has remained essentially unchanged for the past century. The only thing that Amtrak has changed recently (due to 9/11) was the elimination of onboard ticket sales (bane to the passenger train conductors). As one myself (not with Amtrak though) I never really liked cash fares-take too much time to deal with when you've got other things to do. Good jobs but the hours can be hell during the freight rushes.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

JGPH1A

Tue May 10, 2005 5:52 pm

Trains can be very convenient for point to point journeys. The highspeed train network in Europe is growing, and becoming easier and cheaper to use (still not THAT cheap though). In NCE we will have to wait till 2010-15 to get a TGV link direct to Paris though.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

N1120A

Tue May 10, 2005 6:24 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 2):
an even more expensive way of getting from Heathrow almost into London

No trains to Vegas. That may be changing soon as Amtrak California (the joint venture between a state that gives a damn about transport infrastructure and a company that does its best to provide that with a crap deal with train companies and constant b!tching by the polution lovers in the GOP.)

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 7):
if you've got the time and money.

Trains are not as fast as airplanes for sure but they are fast becoming as cheap as driving, especially in California.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 9):
I have an Amtrak trip scheduled next week MSY-HOU.

Hate to be technical, but that is NOL-HOU in Amtrak speak

Quoting COAMiG29 (Reply 11):
sorry about wasting the time here, my friend at school bet me $5.00 that i wouldent say somthing about trains on airliners.net and now thanks to all of you here in the non av forum im $5.00 richer thanks for playing along and sry for using ur time

Many of us here love trains as much as airplanes.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
In NCE we will have to wait till 2010-15 to get a TGV link direct to Paris though.

Hey, 700 km in under 6 hours is not bad as it is right now.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FLYtoEGCC

Tue May 10, 2005 6:43 pm

Well, here in the UK, since privitisation all the franchises on the network were awarded to private Train Operating Companies (TOCs) so what people think of trains in general depends on the length of the route and type of train used.

For the main trunk routes in the UK - West Coast Mainline (London Euston - Birmingham/Manchester/Glasgow), East Coast Mainline (London Kings Cross - Leeds/Newcastle/Edinburgh) and the Great Western (London Paddington - Bristol/South West), the trains used on these routes are either new or recently refurbished, are fast and very comfortable to travel in. Punctuality is steadily improving, no matter what people say, and service frequency has increased dramatically over the last decade. The general impression is that people are very satisfied. GNER, who operate the East Coast franchise, have even been operating spare Eurostar trains on some services.

Local and commuter services are a different story - years of under-investment means that only now are new trains starting to replace the 1950s/1960s stock still in use on some lines (such as commuter routes into London), and even the more recent 1980s DMUs in use on local services in other areas are usually dirty, smelly and noisy.

The biggest uproar in recent years has been about the new trains brought into service on the Virgin Cross Country franchise, which operates long distance services right across the UK. They tried to replace old, longer trains with new, shorter ones and tried to double service frequency. Unfortunately, the new trains (despite some niggles) were quite attractive to commuters and caused a 90%+ rise in passenger numbers, meaning some trains get dangerously overcrowded (I've been on them at such times, it's not nice.)

Remember that with the UK being a lot smaller than the US, there are far fewer domestic air routes here than over there, and (apart from a few of the LCCs) fares for air services tend to be a lot higher, meaning the train is usually the more viable option - far more people travel by train than fly domestically. As I said, though, what people think of them depends entirely on the route and company travelled on. Some are good, some are bad and some are downright horrible.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

N1120A

Tue May 10, 2005 6:58 pm

Quoting FLYtoEGCC (Reply 17):
no matter what people say

Tell me about it. In the time I lived in the UK (and since), all I heard Britons do is slag off the transport system, particularly around The Capital. The thing that they don't understand is that London would GRIND TO A HALT without that system they constantly like to complain about. I think the main problem is that LT does too much in the way of reporting any minor problem. One train sits at Waterloo for 1 minute too long and they announce delays on the Northern Line for the next 5 hours, when in reality a train is coming within the next 1-3 minutes. 1-3 MINUTES!! And people complain?

Now that I have ranted, I do have to say that some train companies have a problem with getting trains in on time on certain routes. South West Trains in particular seems to have a problem on the Hounslow Loop/Windsor/Staines services. I lived on Queenstown Road in Battersea, a 3-5 minute walk from Queenstown Road station and that line constantly had delays. South Central/Southern did a much better job with the lines through Battersea Park into Victoria, in addition to providing a much more frequent service, even though the Waterloo lines were always much more crowded. It is a matter of consistancy and the train companies don't provide it. Honestly, all the PPP does is subsidize the profits of train company owners (normally bus companies that got train contracts) at the cost of the British tax payer. What they should do is renationalize the industry, which will eliminate that profit padding needed for the train companies and invest in faster, less invasive improvements to the network.

FLYtoEGCC

Tue May 10, 2005 7:06 pm

Something I forgot to mention - the reason for a lot of problems over here, as many rail enthusiast websites will testify, has been the way the Government's Strategic Rail Authority has handled the network. Unfortunately, its management appeared to consist of a bunch of people who didn't really have a clue about how to run a railway, and almost everything they touched turned to a farce. As a prime example, when Virgin discovered how badly overcrowded their new Voyagers were becoming, they wanted to upgrade all their 4-coach Class 220s to 5 coaches, matching the 221s. They were prepared to put up the necessary finance to do so, but they weren't allowed to do it - simply because the SRA said so. Fortunately, the SRA is now being disbanded and Network Rail is taking over the running of the whole network rather than just the track and infrastructure (although the private TOCs will remain.) Improvements are noticeable already.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

willo

Tue May 10, 2005 7:13 pm

I love train travel. I didn't even mind commuting up to London every day. I'm not so keen on some of the new trains in the UK where seats and windows don't line up.

Turn up and travel tickets are far too expensive in the UK - they will never get people out of cars with the prices as they are - however, if you can book far enough ahead there are some good deals (bit like the airlines).

In my view the best train travel to be had anywhere is in India. It is cheap, reasonably punctual (considering the distance involved) and great way of seeing and being part of that great country.

cornish

Tue May 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
South West Trains in particular seems to have a problem on the Hounslow Loop/Windsor/Staines services.

As somebody who lives on that line, I can agree with that point.

When I lived in Europe I loved travelling around by train.

In the UK, unless its into central London I'll normally drive these days, as its quicker and cheaper for me most of the time.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Thom@s

Tue May 10, 2005 8:15 pm

They are ok provided I have music and something to read. Helps if the chairs are comfy.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

HAWK21M

Tue May 10, 2005 8:36 pm

Mumbai city depends on the train a lot.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Greyhound

Wed May 11, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
Trains are not as fast as airplanes for sure but they are fast becoming as cheap as driving, especially in California.

Considering the traffic problems I've seen in Southern California, I would definetly consider being a frequent train rider. I think you're right, it is becoming as cheap as driving. Or maybe it's that driving is just getting too expensive.
29th, Let's Go!

FlyingTexan

Wed May 11, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
Hate to be technical, but that is NOL-HOU in Amtrak speak

You know that entered my mind when I typed it. But I just went ahead and put MSY because most – especially in aviation circles identify that as the Crescent City. And Houston is HOS according to Amtrak.  Wink
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

PMN

RE: What Do You All Think Of Trains?

Wed May 11, 2005 6:32 am

I like trains as long as they look like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/MMSR5/45212.jpg

Wink

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

KFLLCFII

Wed May 11, 2005 7:18 am

They're a bunch of shiny metal boxes with wheels that roll on tracks and goes "choo-choo", but that's not important right now...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

aloges

Wed May 11, 2005 7:50 am

I like them a lot, especially since most I ride on are either modern or very classic. I take the tram to Uni every day, and I often catch a train from perhaps the 60s - mind you they're all in great condition, clean and run just a little less smooth than the modern ones.

For the occasional hop to Mannheim, e.g., I use the very modern "S-Bahn", which is a regional commuter train. The network was established less than two years ago, the ride is smooth and fast and there are enough runs to get you anywhere you could imagine in reasonable time. Of course, that would be different if I lived out in the country.

All of that plus unlimited bus travel is €79 a semester. It hurts every time I have to pay it, but nevertheless it's a good price.
The two main negative aspects of public transport are, as I see it: Sometimes, your tram arrives just a few seconds too late to make that connection your punctuality depends on - driver of the other train says to himself, "Well, I may be early but that's NO reason to wait half a minute so the people can get aboard!"
Second, some of the passengers on the train are, well, less than olfactorily pleasant. Of course there's nothing wrong with smelling of sweat when it's a hot day and you had to run to make the train, but why do some people have to be so careless about their body odour? I mean, it would be a good and respectful thing if they did at least take a shower every other day (Is this asking too much? I can't even wake up without a shower in the morning!) and didn't drink some of the worst-smelling spirit available at ALDI before they try to mix with the public for the day.

On long distance trips, I usually cough up the money for IC or ICE trains, depending on what's more convenient. There's that wonderful thing called "BahnCard" that, for €100 a year, gives me a 50% rebate on any ticket I buy plus free reservations.
The IC trains are comfortable, fast and provide scenic views of the landscape; however, the trips on them can tend to get lengthy. ICE trips are of course usually faster, depending on the track, but the scenic views department ran out of stock at the time the high speed tracks were built: tunnel-bridge-tunnel-bridge-station!-tunnel-bridge-tunnel-bridge...
However, the ICE made the most insane trip I've made so far bearable: I needed to get to Hamburg and back to Heidelberg in one day, for a half-hour talk. I took the S-Bahn to Mannheim, boarded the direct ICE to Hamburg and did the opposite on the return, all in all about 9 hours on the ICE.
My "Online-Ticket" (that you buy online and print at home) worked as seamlessly as it always does, and I got one of the best seats on the train on the return: endless legroom, a lot of extra recline since there were no seats behind mine and a PTV. Yep, some seats in 2nd class have PTVs - a nice treat, even though they show about one hour of programming over and over which gets boring after a while.

So, summing it up: I like our trains a lot, and they're far from the worst thing to depend on. If you don't need to connect, they're about as fast as a car.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Biggles

Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 am

Thomas the Tank Engine is my favorite.. Smile

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 11, 2005 10:38 am

Having ridden lots of trains in Norway, I didn't like it, because it was just a way of transportation. However, I was surfing Amtrak's website today, and saw their 30 day deal. Now travelling across the US for 30 days with unlimited trains, that would be fun.

I remember a couple of years ago, WF had a deal where you could travel unlimited with them within Norway for 30 days for like 3500NOK ($500-600). That would be fun, I would do all their short runways, just for the thrill. Jumpseat of course
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

TedTAce

Wed May 11, 2005 10:47 am

Amtrak Trains are a lot more conducive to getting it on while traversing from point A to point B. Plus you can get a little exhibishonistic  Smile The cars on the road waiting for your train to pass, and what's this a naked lady in the window getting done from behind?? Opps she's gone, was it my imagination?

You also meet all kinds of people, from the poor, to the trashy, to outright drunk and obnoxious, to pretty affluent.

If you 'need to get there 'now' forget it.. but if you really want to enjoy the trip and see things you can't in a jet... it's the only way to 'fly'
This space intentionally left blank

N1120A

Wed May 11, 2005 11:08 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 25):
And Houston is HOS according to Amtrak

Oh damn you and Amtrak LOL Big grin

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 24):
I would definetly consider being a frequent train rider.

Actually, Metrolink and Amtrak California ridership is skyrocketing to the point that the SCRA and Amtrak cannot keep up.

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 24):
I think you're right, it is becoming as cheap as driving. Or maybe it's that driving is just getting too expensive.

Well, a bit of both. I was actually not talking about a commute with that example, rather a trip to northern CA

clrd2go

Wed May 11, 2005 12:56 pm

I love trains..I've taken Amtrak boston to houston (via Chicago) and back
a couple times..then Boston-Oakland (via Chicago) 4 times. Love it..would love
to take anothe trip, though my wife would go bonkers being on the thing for 3
nights.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

TUNisia

Wed May 11, 2005 1:40 pm

I love riding the MTA (Metro North - New Haven Line), but it gets pricey.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

aerorobnz

Wed May 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 5):
here are few, if any, trips within Germany where I'd prefer the plane over the train - the plane has little to no advantage in travel time, the train is cheaper and, above all, much more comfortable

Yep, I love travelling by Thalys/ICE/TGV/Eurostar they are so smooth, and stressfree. I also like just plain slow rail too. Overnight trains are a lot of fun.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

skidmarks

Wed May 11, 2005 4:33 pm

Our trains are over 100 years old. The steam trains run between Port Erin and Douglas and the electric trains run from Douglas to Ramsey with a side line to Snaefell Peak.

The carriges are uncomfortable but the tourists love them, apparently. Although they do call at Castletown, I wouldn't use them as they are expensive and even with the lousy parking in Douglas, its cheaper to take the car.

Good fun though, for the odd trip.

Andy  old 

PS: No sarky comments about them being younger than me or death will come early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

JGPH1A

Wed May 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 36):
Our trains are over 100 years old.

Do you still have your commemorative mug from the maiden voyage ? I hear they're worth quite a bit now.  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Wed May 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 36):
PS: No sarky comments about them being younger than me or death will come early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, both you and JGPH1A are older than the first trains/cars/aeroplanes  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OYRJA

Wed May 11, 2005 6:53 pm

I love going by train when I travel inside Denmark. It's really nice to see the beautiful nature that you usually don't see from the air.
And it's a lot cheaper than flying Domestic here in our beautiful country. But it takes a little longer though.

skidmarks

Wed May 11, 2005 7:33 pm

Is there no escape from sarcasm and derision on A.net?

If wit was s*** you would be constipated!!!  tongue 

Harumph  grumpy 

Andy  old 

gkirk

Wed May 11, 2005 7:37 pm

Skiddy, we could always take the piss out of you on Pprune  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

skidmarks

Wed May 11, 2005 7:42 pm

I take it this is another slack day for you young kirk? Shouldn't you be helping mummy tidy the house, do the ironing or washing or something?  tongue 

Have a nice day now

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Wed May 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 40):
Is there no escape from sarcasm and derision on A.net?

In your case, sadly, no. It is the duty, nay - the pleasure, of all of us young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous people to mock mercilessly the old and grumpy.  Smile

cornish

Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 43):
It is the duty, nay - the pleasure, of all of us young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous people to mock mercilessly the old and grumpy.

And Gkirk's duty too Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Wed May 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 44):
And Gkirk's duty too

In his case, it's more of a compulsive disorder brought on by chemical dependence  Smile

skidmarks

Wed May 11, 2005 10:17 pm

So, where are all these young, thin, beautiful people then? Sure as hell don't inhabit A.net.

And no-one living in France can be classed as beautiful - not with big noses, hairy armpits and yearly baths! Big grin

As for Scotland, well, I think Deep Fried Mars Bar says it all.

Andy  old   grumpy 

andz

Wed May 11, 2005 10:52 pm

Trains in this country: old, delapidated and generally not the way to travel ( unless you are mega rich and ride the Blue Train or mega poor and have no choice).

Trains in Germany.....fabulous, every time I go there I have at least one ICE trip and it is great, most always on time, comfortable, quiet and FAST.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/IMG_1717.jpg
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

VS74741R

Thu May 12, 2005 4:28 am

Now this is a train!!!!!
http://www.gvaplant.com/Sales/Flying_Scotsman_4.jpg

You can't beat The Flying Scotsman  bigthumbsup 
Obviously a Virgin Atlantic fan!!!

sacflyer

Sat May 14, 2005 2:11 am

They have the power of a locomotive and they corner like they are on rails!
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!