rjpieces

AmTrak Northeast Down?

Fri May 13, 2005 11:43 am

Apparantly there was a bridge fire tonight and AmTrak service between Penn and Newark was suspended....Anybody know if this will continue tomorrow?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

TedTAce

RE: AmTrak Northeast Down?

Fri May 13, 2005 12:12 pm

I just saw the bridge in question on the news and if your train is dependent on it, don't expect to use it ANYTIME soon. One of the plyon islands was "fully involved" and I can't imagine severe structural dammage wasn't done..
This space intentionally left blank

allstarflyer

Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
Apparantly there was a bridge fire tonight and AmTrak service between Penn and Newark was suspended

What is this service like anyway? Of course, it has to be serviceable for all the business folks going to and from work, but, I've thought about using the rail from D.C. to N.Y., and I've thought that it would be a bit long of a ride, a bit uncomfortable, too many stops - I've just never taken a ride on it.

-R
Living the American Dream

deltairlines

Fri May 13, 2005 12:58 pm

I'd assume that New Jersey Transit will run all MidTown Direct trains via Hoboken tomorrow, allowing the ALP-44 and ALP-46 engines that these trains normally use to be placed on Coast Line and Corridor trains to help replace some of the engines that are stranded in Sunnyside/Penn Station (routing MidTown through Hoboken would allow NJT to use Arrows). I'd assume Coast Line and Corridor trains will terminate at Newark/Penn, but I could see some of them using the Waterfront Connection to continue on to Hoboken.

Don't know about Amtrak, I'd assume they would terminate at Newark. Either way, Penn Station should be a lot quieter tomorrow, with only LIRR trains and a few Amtrak trains (Boston runs, northern half of Vermonter, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Service, etc.) trains running.

UPDATE (Edit): NJ Transit is stating on their website (http://www.njtransit.com) that there will be limited service between NWK and NYP on Friday. My guess is that this will be limited to select Amtrak Corridor trains and select commuter trains...I'd still guess that MidTown is going to Hoboken, and many trains will terminate in NWK.

Jeff

[Edited 2005-05-13 06:07:22]