cornish

Saw An Avantime Yesterday!

Fri May 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Well I finally did it - I witnessed the Holy Grail of European motoring.

I saw a Renault Avantime on the road yesterday on my way home from work. Quite an achievement when they only sold about 3 of the things in total  Wink

My life is complete, I can retire a happy car enthusiast !!

Anyone else seen one on the roads ?? (as opposed to motorshow or showroom?)

Actually it was quite a night to go home - I also followed a Ferrari 612 Scagliatti and a Ferrari 430 spyder, saw a Bentley Azure convertible, a Maserati Quattroporte and one of those pretty little 70s Lancia Fulvia 2 dr coupes. Made a change from the usual Focuses, Astras, etc.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

whitehatter

RE: Saw An Avantime Yesterday!

Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting Cornish (Thread starter):
I saw a Renault Avantime on the road yesterday on my way home from work. Quite an achievement when they only sold about 3 of the things in total

I never really worked out what the point of the Avantime was. What kind of company produces vehicles which compete with their own range?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

OYRJA

Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 pm

Now that is an ugly ass car.. Big grin
Thankfully they have only sold about 3 or how many it was Big grin

JGPH1A

Fri May 13, 2005 6:42 pm

What is an Avantime ? Is it like a VelSatis  yuck  ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Fri May 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
What is an Avantime ? Is it like a VelSatis ?

The idea was a sports coupe-cum-people carrier - obviously an oxymoron 

[Edited 2005-05-13 11:53:18]
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri May 13, 2005 7:03 pm

This is the thingy :

More (in French)
http://www.automobile-sportive.com/guide/renault/avantime.php

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

JGPH1A

Fri May 13, 2005 7:13 pm

Euwww - looks like something Thunderbird 2 would carry in its pod. NOT beautiful.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

OYRJA

Fri May 13, 2005 7:43 pm

Why is it that Renault are making this spacy looking cars. They sure know how to make a nice car become ugly.

aloges

Fri May 13, 2005 7:51 pm

Goodness... that thing looks worse than the Vel Satis! Talk about "achievement"!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RedDragon

Fri May 13, 2005 8:25 pm

*drools*

I saw my first and still only Avantime on the road about 18 months ago, in a rather sublime setting. It was driving up Lenton Boulevard in Nottingham, which is in the middle of the student ghetto - not really where you'd expect to see an Avantime! But the sun was shining, the car was clean... great stuff!

The other day I got overtaken by a Maserati 3200GT with the boomerang lights. On the one hand I admired the driver for having the definitive version, styling-wise... on the other hand I wondered how he coped with the relatively rubbish dynamics  Smile

Can't wait to see a Quattroporte on the road - now there's a gorgeous limousine!

Also saw an electric Berlingo (badged Electrique) two days running this week, pootling around (well, parking actually, both times) on campus. I don't know if it's the university's or not, but it's not in Corporate Dark Blue.

Rich

cornish

Fri May 13, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 9):
Can't wait to see a Quattroporte on the road - now there's a gorgeous limousine!

I drive past Maranello Concessionaires at Egham every day going to and from work. Its usually full of Ferraris and Porsches - but its the Quattroportes that catch my eye there at the moment.

The Avantime was in that blue colur that they all seem to have come in - although UTA's pic showed they did actually make it in another colour.

RedDragon

Fri May 13, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 10):
The Avantime was in that blue colur that they all seem to have come in - although UTA's pic showed they did actually make it in another colour.

Yeah - if I had an Avantime I'd probably have it in the blue. I can't remember what colour the one I saw was...

A black Avantime might look the business! Or it might just look incredibly tacky...  Sad ...Speaking of which, yesterday I also saw a Ford Expedition super-stretch limo. It was in silver, which didn't help its cause, but I suppose at least it wasn't white...

Rich

andz

Fri May 13, 2005 10:24 pm

Looks like the new Scenic....therefore f'ing ugly, as are all Renaults.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

skidmarks

Fri May 13, 2005 10:28 pm

Ugly cars, ugly aeroplanes, at last, something the French are good at!!!!!!!!!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

IFLYMCO

Sat May 14, 2005 2:22 am

I've seen exactly 1 of those "beauties" parked in Amsterdam.

A couple weeks back I rented a new Renualt model called a "Modus" while not as ugly as that beast still won't win any beauty contests.

I'm curious, how many of those Avantimes did they actually sell? The smaller Renault models are every 3rd car it seems like but those are incredibly rare to see.
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

RedDragon

Sun May 15, 2005 12:12 am

Today on the M1 I saw a Bentley Flying Spur!  eyepopping  It was overtaking me in my 60bhp Ibiza, unsurprisingly  Smile

Anyone else seen one on the road yet? (Not on trade plates, that doesn't count!) How long have they been on sale?

Rich

jamesbuk

Sun May 15, 2005 7:35 am

you can tell its a french car and must be related to the airbus co.  Wink lol that thing looks like that renault megane with the fat a$$ and i can understand why only 3 were ever sold
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

RedDragon

Sun May 15, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 16):
that thing looks like that renault megane with the fat a$$

Yeah, that's kind of intentional  Wink

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 16):
you can tell it...must be related to the airbus co...i can understand why only 3 were ever sold

Careful, at least the Avantime sold more copies than the Beluga (even if only just  eyepopping  Wink

Does anyone know in what markets other than France the Vel Satis is still being offered? (New-build, the facelift version - rejigged grille inserts and rear lights - not old stock.)

Rich

lijnden

Mon May 16, 2005 1:58 am

Did any of you guys look at www.autotrade.nl ? There are at least 8 you can buy! I see these cars drive by every day (my office is right next to the A4 motorway).
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

RedDragon

Mon May 16, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 18):
I see these cars drive by every day (my office is right next to the A4 motorway).

*drool*

I remember reading a letter in either Autocar or (maybe) Auto Express at around the time of the cancellation announcement, from a guy who owned a small company that was looking to replace its fleet of three PT Cruisers. (It was something of a media/design company IIRC, so had rather more of a design/style requirement than most companies!) Knowing full well the Avantime débacle, the guy went ahead and bought three. Fantastic! There was even a photo showing the three lined up, as I recall.

Rich

Braybuddy

Mon May 16, 2005 7:19 am

It's an amazing and beautiful looking car and nothing like anything else on the roads at the moment. The reason it didn't sell is that it's way ahead of its time, this car will be a collector's item in twenty years time. Look at the new Megane, which takes its looks from the Avantime. . . that got off to a slow start, but once people got used to the look it started to sell. The French have a flair for designing original and classic cars, eg the Citroen 2CV and the timeless DS.

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon May 16, 2005 4:14 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 17):
Does anyone know in what markets other than France the Vel Satis is still being offered?

We have the thingy available here in Eire.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

skidmarks

Mon May 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Its downright ugly and should have been shot at birth!!!!!!

The French can produce good looking cars, but this isn't one of them!!!!

Andy  old 

PS: You've no idea how painful it was for me to say that!!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

paulc

Mon May 16, 2005 5:16 pm

seen one ? - have actually driven one - not too bad but the looks are awful. It belongs to a mate of mine with no taste but at least it is a step up from the 2CV he use used to own  Wink
English First, British Second, european Never!

aerorobnz

Mon May 16, 2005 7:14 pm

I saw the other 2 Avantime on one high street at the same time....beat that.... Wink Unfortunately an answer to a question nobody asked....that said it's a good design project.

I like the Renault Megane II Sedan, I think it and the Renault Clio Sport 182 are rather good looking actually. Actually Renaults are genuinely stylish cars, their avanguarde designs actually making cars have a bit of style, if it were that ugly the megane would not sell as many as it does.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

sccutler

Mon May 16, 2005 8:31 pm

Am I wack because I actually *like* French cars?

I think that Avantime looks like an interesting and practical buggy. But, of course, I also thought that the Citroen range- especially the inimitable DS- are among the most innovative and interesting cars in the world.

I still entertain the fantasy that, having saved Nissan through investment, Renault might yet leverage its position and return to the US market.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

RedDragon

Mon May 16, 2005 8:49 pm

Paulc, your mate went from a 2CV to an Avantime? Not in one step I assume?  Smile

Hmmm, don't think I'd have chosen the Mégane saloon/sedan as an example of Renault design at its best... but having said that, it's a significantly better looker than the new Focus four-door, if not the Bora - and small-saloon-derived-from-family-hatchback isn't the easiest design brief!

When I win the lottery, my garage is going to contain an Avantime and a late-model DS... *drools again*

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 6:00 pm

Quoting Paulc (Reply 23):
seen one ? - have actually driven one - not too bad but the looks are awful. It belongs to a mate of mine with no taste but at least it is a step up from the 2CV he use used to own

Well your mate would be wise to hold on to it for as long as possible because in time the Avantime will almost certainly appreciate in value as a classic car. It is so different to anything else and so few were made. A future classic for certain.

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 26):
Hmmm, don't think I'd have chosen the Mégane saloon/sedan as an example of Renault design at its best... but having said that, it's a significantly better looker than the new Focus four-door, if not the Bora - and small-saloon-derived-from-family-hatchback isn't the easiest design brief!

Very true - and the new Bora replacement is not the best looker either (I think the outgoing model looked pretty good as small saloons go) - although it is designed to look like a smaller version of the new Passat. Its hard to think of a small saloon version of a hatch that did look particularly good. Vauxhall/Opel Astras being examples of the very worst.....

RedDragon

Wed May 18, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 27):
Very true - and the new Bora replacement is not the best looker either (I think the outgoing model looked pretty good as small saloons go) - although it is designed to look like a smaller version of the new Passat.

To my eyes (going only on publicity photos so far, of course) the new Bora looks better than the Passat - it seems to carry off that strangely boat-shaped rear more easily. Plus it looks a whole lot better than the flabby-arsed Golf (although on that note, I was surprised at how much better the Golf GTI looks than the rest).

To my mind, well-designed small-saloons-from-hatchbacks include the current SEAT Córdoba (very sexy for a high-backed supermini saloon) and Mazda 3 (astonishingly good-looking, and substantially better than the quirky-but-odd hatch). Badly-designed s-s-f-hs include the Škoda Fabia... what the hell happened there?

[Edited 2005-05-17 17:40:12]

tristarenvy

Wed May 18, 2005 12:46 am

As I understand it, Nissan will be using, in a way, some of these Renaults, as basis for cars coming to the USA. Car & Driver had a picture of a new Nissan, that is to compete w/Scion, that looks really good. Had a slight Renault "air" to it, as well.

I'm not big on two door hatches, but man, I'd consider one of 'em.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

RedDragon

Wed May 18, 2005 12:52 am

This may or may not be the same car(s) as TriStarEnvy is thinking of, but I recall seeing a (possibly official) picture of Nissan's new Almera-sized-ish offering for Japan. It didn't half look like a Mégane II... as does that high-powered three-door concept, although it's apparently built on the Micra platform and hence would struggle to take more than a ~1.5-litre engine...

If only I was at home I could look through old issues of Autocar and the like... as it is I can't be arsed to trawl through the Internet instead, sorry!

Rich

paulc

Wed May 18, 2005 4:50 pm

Red Dragon,

no he did have a montego or 2 + an espace or 2 before the Avantime - so still no sense of style or taste though  Smile The 2CV's were only ever hosed down (inside and out) but they did have a lot of miles on them when disposed of.
English First, British Second, european Never!

cornish

Wed May 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Well as if the shock of the Avantime wasn't enough, I saw a silver Vel Satis this morning too !!

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 30):
This may or may not be the same car(s) as TriStarEnvy is thinking of, but I recall seeing a (possibly official) picture of Nissan's new Almera-sized-ish offering for Japan. It didn't half look like a Mégane II...

Yep - there's pictures in the current issue of CAR magazine - it does indeed look like a 3dr megane.

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 28):
To my eyes (going only on publicity photos so far, of course) the new Bora looks better than the Passat - it seems to carry off that strangely boat-shaped rear more easily. Plus it looks a whole lot better than the flabby-arsed Golf (although on that note, I was surprised at how much better the Golf GTI looks than the rest).

I think so too - I'm not at all sure about the passat's new look, but I'll wait until I've seen one in metal before I judge - no doubt we'll have one down here at my work for crash testing very soon.

As for the Golf - I think my A3 is a much nicer looking thing - well at least in 3dr - the 5dr is a bit too stretched for my liking. The 3dr is a much sharper looking bit of kit.

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 28):
and Mazda 3 (astonishingly good-looking, and substantially better than the quirky-but-odd hatch).

actually my other half drives a Mazda 3 - the hatch though. I like the hatch - looks good in blue, but is a bit quirky at the rear end. The saloon does look nice and I'm starting to see quite a few around.

RedDragon

Wed May 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Paulc: not one Montego, but two! Classic Big grin My dad drove a Montego back when I was a nipper; it was a short-lived replacement for his company Austin Princess (priceless!). Quite how he found those two after owning a Porsche 911 I'm not sure...!

Cornish: I think we discussed the colour sensitivity of the Vel Satis in a previous thread didn't we? The first one I saw was black, and it looked a right hearse - but in a good silver-or-similar shade, it looks the business  Smile

Your work crash tests cars? What do you do? Doesn't it say Aviation Consultant in your profile - or is that just you offering your consultation services to A.net?  Silly

I don't think I've seen a five-door Mazda 3 in a colour other than metallic blue yet... although what's perhaps even more surprising is that I've seen more saloons around than hatchbacks. Maybe the junior-junior exec styling is proving more popular with buyers than hatchback versatility?

And yes, the three-door A3 is indeed a very sharp-looking car, a suitably subtle-but-sporty update of the previous generation. Still not convinced by the Sportback though - although at least if you want a smallish estateish from Audi you've got a choice of two...!

Rich

cornish

Wed May 18, 2005 8:59 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 33):
Your work crash tests cars? What do you do? Doesn't it say Aviation Consultant in your profile - or is that just you offering your consultation services to A.net?

Ha ! No that's indeed what I do - although aviation is only a very small part of the work done here. most of it is in roads and safety - including doing crash testing, and top secret testing of new vehicles on the high speed track here.

I think we discussed the colour sensitivity of the Vel Satis in a previous thread didn't we? The first one I saw was black, and it looked a right hearse - but in a good silver-or-similar shade, it looks the business

I thought it looked pretty smart this morning I must agree.

Still not convinced by the Sportback though - although at least if you want a smallish estateish from Audi you've got a choice of two...!

Yep the A3 5dr has a decidedly similar profile to the new A4 avant in my eyes....

I don't think I've seen a five-door Mazda 3 in a colour other than metallic blue yet... although what's perhaps even more surprising is that I've seen more saloons around than hatchbacks.

That's the most popular colour but I've seen silvers, greys and reds too. There's only about six colours you can get them in here anyway. I've seen lotsof hatches and a few saloons, but that's as much because when you or someone close gets a particular car you start seing them everywhere when you didn't really notice them before.

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 1:43 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 34):
There's only about six colours you can get them in here anyway.

From Mazda's website (specifically, their amusingly named "Colourator") they appear to have all of seven colours (only three of which are actually colours anyway  Wink). Hmm, they must be trying to do a Saab.

I've seen lotsof hatches and a few saloons, but that's as much because when you or someone close gets a particular car you start seing them everywhere when you didn't really notice them before.

Hehe, either that, or you realise that there aren't many of that particular car on the road, and so you congratulate yourself or your friend on owning such an exclusive car  Silly

Miscellaneous thoughts: Saw a Mitsubishi Grandis today. It was in black, was shiny clean, had some pretty sharp alloys, and looked the business. Just a shame that the all-blacked-out windows and chrome mirrors (no, really) made it look a bit too pimp-o-matic. Please, leave that kind of thing to the Voyager owners!

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 6:35 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 35):
I've seen lotsof hatches and a few saloons, but that's as much because when you or someone close gets a particular car you start seing them everywhere when you didn't really notice them before.

Hehe, either that, or you realise that there aren't many of that particular car on the road, and so you congratulate yourself or your friend on owning such an exclusive car

That would be the Avantime or Vel Satis owner then  Wink

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 35):
Miscellaneous thoughts: Saw a Mitsubishi Grandis today. It was in black, was shiny clean, had some pretty sharp alloys, and looked the business. Just a shame that the all-blacked-out windows and chrome mirrors (no, really) made it look a bit too pimp-o-matic. Please, leave that kind of thing to the Voyager owners!

I've also thought that if a pimp drove a people carrier he'd definitely drive a Grandis  Silly

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 7:08 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 36):
That would be the Avantime or Vel Satis owner then

Well actually I was thinking of myself. It occurred to me when I saw a dark blue facelift Ibiza (old model) the same colour and with as many doors as mine, that it was the first almost-identical one I could recall seeing in the year of having it. (Did that sentence make any kind of sense whatsoever?)

Okay, so maybe "exclusive" isn't quite the right word for a 1.4 Ibiza... but you get the idea  Smile

My only disappointment with seeing the Grandis was that there wasn't a hip-hop bass line blaring out through the vibrating body panels. Oh, and it was leaving University Park - fairly far removed from the dodgier areas of Nottingham where a pimp would fit right in  Silly

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 7:27 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 37):
Well actually I was thinking of myself. It occurred to me when I saw a dark blue facelift Ibiza (old model) the same colour and with as many doors as mine, that it was the first almost-identical one I could recall seeing in the year of having it. (Did that sentence make any kind of sense whatsoever?)

Nope  Silly

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 37):
Okay, so maybe "exclusive" isn't quite the right word for a 1.4 Ibiza...

Nope  Silly

Of course my problem was that as soon as I bought my A3, I set the fashion and everybody then went and copied me - now everyone seems to be driving them. The price to pay I suppose for being a trend-setter Big grin

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 7:41 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 38):
Of course my problem was that as soon as I bought my A3, I set the fashion and everybody then went and copied me - now everyone seems to be driving them. The price to pay I suppose for being a trend-setter

It's a difficult world you inhabit, isn't it?

I can remember my father always saying the same thing back in the day when he went through a succession of Isuzu Troopers. This was before the whole middle-class-mums-in-school-run-blitz phenomenon (at least in deepest darkest Cardiff), and he started off with the really pretty old (pre-nineties) agricultural Trooper. (It even had an umbrella handbrake, classic!) Of course, once everyone started seeing him trundling around in one, they had to have one themselves...  no 

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 39):
It's a difficult world you inhabit, isn't it?

Indeed, it's hard having to be at the front of the pack  Silly

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 39):
can remember my father always saying the same thing back in the day when he went through a succession of Isuzu Troopers. This was before the whole middle-class-mums-in-school-run-blitz phenomenon (at least in deepest darkest Cardiff), and he started off with the really pretty old (pre-nineties) agricultural Trooper. (It even had an umbrella handbrake, classic!) Of course, once everyone started seeing him trundling around in one, they had to have one themselves...

A few years back I had a rental Trooper in Cyprus - it was British Racing Green, chromed to the max, with blacked out windows and even had "Handling by Lotus" badges  Silly Now that was a definite pimpmobile.....

you should have seen all those little Suzuki jeeps and Rav4s scatter as I was coming through. Bling bling !!

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 7:53 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 40):
"Handling by Lotus" badges

Ha ha!!! A Trooper with handling by Lotus? Of course, that doesn't actually equate Trooper handling behaviour to Lotus...  Wink

Or maybe it just used the same door handles?

I was going to say something else, but now I can't for the life of me think what it was.  Sad

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 8:07 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 41):
Ha ha!!! A Trooper with handling by Lotus? Of course, that doesn't actually equate Trooper handling behaviour to Lotus...

It didn't handle with quite the (ahem) elan of an Elise that's for sure  Wink

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 8:14 pm

...Or the élan of an Elan?

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 43):
...Or the élan of an Elan?

My use of the word elan was deliberate  Wink

nor for that matter did it excel like an Excel  Silly

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 9:50 pm

I actually know a girl called Elise  Smile

Oh, and I remembered what I was going to say earlier on... it comforts me that my Ibiza undoubtedly shares at least a couple of components with your beloved A3  Silly

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 10:13 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 45):
Oh, and I remembered what I was going to say earlier on... it comforts me that my Ibiza undoubtedly shares at least a couple of components with your beloved A3

Sure does - and with a TiTty for that matter and a Skoda and a Golf and probably a Lamborghini and the new Bentley Flying spur - and maybe even with the Bugatti Veyron  Silly

nor did my trooper have the esprit of an Esprit....

(That's quite enough Lotus gags. Ed. )

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 46):
Sure does - and with a TiTty for that matter

Now now, don't be rude.

The Veyron... now there's a socially pointless car if ever there was one.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 46):
(That's quite enough Lotus gags. Ed. )

Hee Big grin

Do you read Flight? Sounds like something that would be imposed on Uncle Roger  Wink

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 47):
The Veyron... now there's a socially pointless car if ever there was one.

I've actually seen one in the big VW group showroom on Unter den Linden in Berlin.

Will we ever see it on sale I ask myself?