juventus

Americans Love Europe. Top 5 Int'l Destinations

Thu May 12, 2005 10:53 am

The top 5 international destinations for American tourists according to National Geographic Travel Magazine (Feb. 2005 issue):

1-London
2-Paris
3-Cancun
4-Frankfurt
5-Amsterdam

UAL747

RE: Americans Love Europe. Top 5 Int'l Destinations

Thu May 12, 2005 10:56 am

Can't imagine why Frankfurt is up there. Would expect more destinations in Mexico.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

PA110

Thu May 12, 2005 10:57 am

Frankfurt over Amsterdam? Surely not as a destination in itself. Perhaps as a gateway, or transit point. I think most Germans would agree that as a tourist destination, the city of Frankfurt itself does not have as much to offer as other European cities (or other German cities for that matter). Germany is a fantastic destination, but I wouldn't ever consider Frankfurt as anything more than a gateway or transit point. Either we don't have the whole story, or there is something wrong with the math.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

MarkATL

Thu May 12, 2005 11:02 am

Frankfurt has massive amounts of military related i.e troops, family members, etc. traffic. Not to mention it is the financial capital of continental Europe.
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

commavia

Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 am

And the top US carriers to each destination, as ranked by number of available seats:

London:
1) AA
2) UA
3) CO
4) DL

Paris:
1) AA
2) DL
3) CO
4) UA

Cancun:
1) AA
2) CO
3) US
4) DL

Frankfurt:
1) UA
2) DL
3) AA
4) CO

Amsterdam:
1) NW
2) CO
3) DL
4) UA

rommel

Thu May 12, 2005 11:05 am

Frankfurt?!? And honestly, Cancun really is pretty horrid although the Mayan Riviera is pretty nice.

Where's Italy in the list?

Kahala777

Thu May 12, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
Can't imagine why Frankfurt is up there.

Frankfurt is heavy from the United States for connection traffic. In addition Frankfurt/Munich are both heavy for passengers to and from the U.S. for militray reasons. US Airways goes out packed from Philadelphia to Frankfurt and Munich because of its contracts with the D.O.D.!

Quoting Juventus (Thread starter):
1-London

Not a Suprise.. Considering the shear number of flights daily from almost all major U.S. cities! - American Airlines alone transports about 1,000,000 passengers per year to and from the London market   

2-Paris

Again, not a Suprise... We all know about those great weekend packages to Paris in off-season... Especially from here on the East Coast! Air France alone transports about 2,000,000 passengers from the United States to and from Paris every year!  eyepopping 

3-Cancun

The bulk of traffic is December to April! Great market, that has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years. This market, is much stronger from the East Coast than the West Coast. West Coast to Mexico usually ends up in PVR, ACA, SJD, MZT, ZLO, and ZIH.

5-Amsterdam

Amsterdam, for what ever reason???? seems to be a right of passage for American youth on their pilgrimages to Europe ....   

Regards - Kahala777

[Edited 2005-05-12 04:11:03]

[Edited 2005-05-12 04:14:29]

adam

Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting Rommel (Reply 5):

I was also surprised not to see Rome on the list.

adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

ComeAndGo

Thu May 12, 2005 11:13 am

And …

Garmish Paten Kirchen
Baden Baden
Heidelberg
Singelfinger and the majeur ask udo …
Octoberfest and tons of Beer
Prague
Pamplona and the bulls
Florence and our David
Monaco
Zermatt and the Matterhorn that strangely resembles the one at Disneyland
Verbier and cheese
Lugano that looks like Rio or Italy without the mess
Positano
Barcelona for the parties till 7am
Cannes and Nice
and Amsterdam for you know what …

nycflyer

Thu May 12, 2005 11:25 am

if such a list could be separated between business and pleasure destinations, I would be very interested to see it.

If it was just pleasure, would CUN move up into first place? It'd be close.

Kahala777

Thu May 12, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting ComeAndGo (Reply 8):
Garmish Paten Kirchen

Psst... You spelt it incorrectly...

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

It is a destination in its own right because it houses a resort complex operated by AFRC, a branch of the United States D.O.D.

Octoberfest and tons of Beer

I think he was trying to say Oktoberfest

Which is in Munich, and throughout Southern Germany/Bavaria  sarcastic 

Florence and our David

It is not your sculpture, now is it?

Zermatt and the Matterhorn that strangely resembles the one at Disneyland

You, mean the one that Disneyland patterned after?  yawn 

Lugano .....Italy without the mess

You think Lugano, is better than Lago Maggiore, Lago di Como?  rotfl 

Lugano that looks like Rio

You have never been to Rio de Janeiro, or Buzios have you? They are nothing even remotely similar to Lugano, or Southern Switzerland/Northern Italy!  sigh 

You seem to have left off of the list!

Malaga
Budapest
Corfu
Ibiza
Prague
Provence
Mykonos
Tuscany
Venice

.... and the millions of other European sites that Americans flock to in droves every year throughout Europe!

Regards - Kahala777

rwsea

Thu May 12, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 6):
5-Amsterdam

Amsterdam, for what ever reason???? seems to be a right of passage for American youth on their pilgrimages to Europe ....

Umm have you been to Amsterdam? Probably my favorite city in Europe. So many sights, very nice and down to earth people (who generally speak English better than I do), and great location (London, Paris, Brussels all relatively close).

Contrary to what some may think, AMS has a lot more going for it than the red light district and the coffeeshops (although they need to be on every tourist's itinerary).

PolAir

Thu May 12, 2005 12:15 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 4):
Paris:
1) AA
2) DL

I was always convinced DL "owned" this one.

DLPMMM

Thu May 12, 2005 12:22 pm

I think there is a real problem with the researchers who came up with this list. I'd like to see their methodology. This could well be a case of garbage in, garbage out.

commavia

Thu May 12, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting PolAir (Reply 12):

Nope. Believe it or not, in spite of DL's relationship with AF, AA actually has more flights per week (42) than DL (35) and AA offers slightly more weekly seats (8904) vs. DL (8484). Remember also that AA carries more passengers to Europe than any other US airline.

United Airline

Thu May 12, 2005 1:01 pm

What about Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore etc????

Kahala777

Thu May 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 11):
Umm have you been to Amsterdam?

Yes, it is a wonderful city. From experience the Hotel Okura, and Sofitel are great hotels! Unfortunately, many Americans associate Holland(Nederlands) with just one thing, and that is very sad! For me, I have my favourite places of which are Den Haag, and Noordwijk aan Zee.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 15):
What about Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore etc????

The topic was more about Europe. Americans are not the strongest clients to Asia! Asian countries are frequented more by Europeans, and Australians than Americans.

Regards - Kahala777

FlySSC

Thu May 12, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting PolAir (Reply 12):
Paris:
1) AA
2) DL

Air France is by far the top carrier between USA and France.
But this is about the top US carriers. DL code shares with AF on all AF's flights France-US-France but doesn't operate that much flights by itself ... And I think that's what they count.

Mark_D.

Thu May 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Misleading thread title there  fluffy 

But #1, #2 and #3 sound about right.

#4 and #5 I'd like to see how National Geographic figures those, unless as has already been mentioned those are just for catching a connecting flight and they maybe count up say the most international-flight-tickets sold and just leave it at that.

ComeAndGo

Thu May 12, 2005 3:26 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 10):
It is a destination in its own right because it houses a resort complex operated by AFRC, a branch of the United States D.O.D.

Really? Does it have a US Zip code? Everyone I talk to that goes to Germany has been there. Must be nice.

You have never been to Rio de Janeiro, or Buzios have you? They are nothing even remotely similar to Lugano, or Southern Switzerland/Northern Italy!   

No, I've never been to Rio. But Lugano is full of Americans. There's also an American High School and an American College - Franklin College - in Lugano. Sure, there's many other places. That's why everyone flies into Frankfurt, Paris and London. First you go to the big city and then to the countryside like Garmisch P. and the lakes in Italy.

You, mean the one that Disneyland patterned after?

Actually no. I read this article in the LA times a few weeks back about Zermatt. This guy was sitting on a terrace of a restaurant and looking at this funny shaped mountain and thought it looked familiar. Yes, Disneyland.

juventus

Thu May 12, 2005 8:43 pm

London, Paris, and Cancun are the top three international destinations. I think FRA, and AMS re up there due to the fact that they are transit points. It is cheaper to fly to any of these place than FCO, BRU, or MAD. (I think)

commavia

Thu May 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 17):
But this is about the top US carriers. DL code shares with AF on all AF's flights France-US-France but doesn't operate that much flights by itself ... And I think that's what they count.

No, Delta does not carry those passengers to CDG. They may sell them the ticket, but their butt is in a seat on an AF plane. AA has more seats to CDG each week for butts to go in than DL does.

geoffm

Thu May 12, 2005 9:18 pm

The top 5 international destinations for American tourists

Quoting MarkATL (Reply 3):
Frankfurt has massive amounts of military related i.e troops, family members, etc. traffic. Not to mention it is the financial capital of continental Europe.

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 6):
In addition Frankfurt/Munich are both heavy for passengers to and from the U.S. for militray reasons. US Airways goes out packed from Philadelphia to Frankfurt and Munich because of its contracts with the D.O.D.!

Note the word "tourists". I don't count military or business travellers as tourists...

Geoff M.

keesje

Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 pm

where is the most beautifull of all : Rome?

Probably via the above mentioned hubs..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

tinpusher007

Thu May 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 14):
Remember also that AA carries more passengers to Europe than any other US airline.

Umm...I don't think so. DL and CO for that matter serve many more destinations in Europe than AA does. AA is massive in the UK and serves Paris from BOS, NYC, ORD, DFW and MIA...thus overtaking DL in US-France seats but for Europe as a whole, Im quite sure DL has the lead on that one.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Flighttime

Thu May 12, 2005 10:01 pm

You have never been to Rio de Janeiro, or Buzios have you? They are nothing even remotely similar to Lugano, or Southern Switzerland/Northern Italy!

Well I've been to both plenty of times and have always noticed a slight similarity between the two. Glad someone else thinks the same as me! (And whilst 'chaos' is definitely part of Italy's beguiling charm, Tessin does look like Italy but definitely acts like Switzerland!)

commavia

Thu May 12, 2005 10:10 pm

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 24):
Umm...I don't think so. DL and CO for that matter serve many more destinations in Europe than AA does. AA is massive in the UK and serves Paris from BOS, NYC, ORD, DFW and MIA...thus overtaking DL in US-France seats but for Europe as a whole, Im quite sure DL has the lead on that one.

Sorry, but you are wrong. This summer, in fact, DL will only offer one more daily flight to Europe (41 total) than AA (40). Even though the CO and DL route maps show so many cities in Europe, they are misleading as the vast majority of those cities are served once daily, and at least in CO's case, with 175-seat 757s. Remember, AA alone has 20 daily flights to just London, plus another 6 just to Paris! Then there is double-daily service to FRA, FCO, ZRH, BRU, MAN, etc.

In the year 2004, the latest full year with available statistics, AA carried more passengers to Europe than any other airline. I don't have the latest copy of Air Transport World with me right now, but if anybody does, on one of the last pages is the statistics for US carriers' international traffic for 2004. It clearly shows that AA, indeed, carried more passengers to Europe, and internationally in general, than any other US carrier in 2004.

United Airline

Thu May 12, 2005 10:30 pm

Kahala777,

Umm.......true. But there are lots of Americans visiting Asia too. At least for Hong Kong. Both on business and leisure.

Regards,
Desmond

checkraiser

Thu May 12, 2005 10:56 pm

FRA is probably up there because of cheap airfare in/out.

Late last summer my brother and I went to Rome. He flew US and routed ORD-PHL-FCO and paid $1150.

I scored an el cheapo AI ticket ORD-FRA. Then AZ FRA-FCO. My total cost was $475. For that kind of cash I'll go without PTV's.

Maybe the stats come from the amount of American passports stamped at FRA. Since my next flight was a Schengen I had to go through German immigration even tough I didn't stay there.

By the way - what's with the crazy security at FRA?? I tried "bypassing" one of the checkpoints because I'd just been through one - it didn't make sense. I thought I was gonna get shot.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

LUV4JFK

Thu May 12, 2005 11:31 pm

And the top US carriers to each destination, as ranked by number of available seats:

Paris:
1) AA
2) DL

That's just sad. you would think with Paris being a Sky Team hub, Delta would try to funnel more flights through.

LUV4JFK
 yes 
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

B742

Thu May 12, 2005 11:46 pm

I'm not suprised to see London as top as a huge amount of airlines fly LON-USA:

DL, CO, UA, AA, NW, AI, KU, BA, VS, PIA, US!

Suprised to see Frankfurt and not Rome on there!

Rob!

VEEREF

Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 am

I wonder if this is just a "by air" study or does that include people who not only fly but drive and go by rail into Canada. Technically that's international.
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

cayman

Fri May 13, 2005 12:35 am

It seems very surprising that YYZ isn't on the list--with so many flights to and from US--

I believe for example that YYZ is AA's largest international destination by number of daily flights--though not by total seats.

Can YYZ be farther than 5th down the list considering the totals and how many US airlines fly there?

Aircellist

Fri May 13, 2005 12:41 am

Veeref,

Good point...

Thanks for the "Technically" !  Smile
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

BOSPMV

Fri May 13, 2005 12:45 am

How can people make the point that combined, two airlines(CO and DL) have more service to Europe than one airliner(AA) does? Look at how many 752s CO uses as compared to how many widebodies AA will use. AA only uses 752s on the BOS-SNN-BOS and BOS-MAN-BOS flights. Of course two large carriers are going to have more service to a market as flooded as Europe is, but at the same token, it's kind of funny how one airliner(AA) has mors service to South America than those two airlines(DL and CO) combined.

I wonder where Athens ranks up on the list? I know Greece is a pretty popular tourist attraction.

Kahala777

Fri May 13, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 30):
DL, CO, UA, AA, NW, AI, KU, BA, VS, PIA, US!

You left out NZ!

Regards - Kahala777

tinpusher007

Fri May 13, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting BOSPMV (Reply 35):
How can people make the point that combined, two airlines(CO and DL) have more service to Europe than one airliner(AA) does

The point I was trying to make is that individually, both of these carriers serve more destinations in Europe than AA does. I also stand corrected if there is documented evidence that AA did in fact carry more pax to Europe than any other US carrier.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

juventus

Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 am

I would think CO carries more pax to Europe than AA. AA carries more pax to Mexico and Latin America than any other US airline. I don't have a source, just my opinion.

tinpusher007

Fri May 13, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 24):

Quoting Commavia (Reply 26):
Sorry, but you are wrong. This summer, in fact, DL will only offer one more daily flight to Europe (41 total) than AA (40). Even though the CO and DL route maps show so many cities in Europe, they are misleading as the vast majority of those cities are served once daily, and at least in CO's case, with 175-seat 757s. Remember, AA alone has 20 daily flights to just London, plus another 6 just to Paris! Then there is double-daily service to FRA, FCO, ZRH, BRU, MAN, etc.

I thought so too, with DL and also CO, but apparently, there is documented evidence to the contrary.

I think he was saying AA carried more pax..I was mostly stating that DL and CO serve more destinations (which I would think means more pax), but I guess I was wrong.

cayman

Fri May 13, 2005 1:44 am

using only AA as an example if my count is right there are 26 daily flights from US into YYZ, including Eagle--

LGA YYZ x9
BOS YYZ x5
LAX YYZ x2
ORD YYZ x6
MIA YYZ x3
DFW YYZ x3

If that is just AA, surely YYZ total numbers must be up there--considering there are also so many flights from UA, NW, DL, US, CO and others not to mention service from probably 40 plus destinations in the US to YYZ on AC.

commavia

Fri May 13, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 39):
I was mostly stating that DL and CO serve more destinations (which I would think means more pax), but I guess I was wrong.

I don't have the numbers right now but I can get them a bit later in the day, but of course you are right -- both CO and DL serve far more cities in Europe than AA, but the average number of seats for both is less than AA, and AA has their flights so concentrated in a few large cities (i.e., 20 flights a day to London, 6 a day to Paris, etc.).

Kahala777

Fri May 13, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 22):
I don't count military or business travellers as tourists...

Military familys come from the states to meet their relatives who are on R/R!

Quoting Juventus (Reply 38):
I would think CO carries more pax to Europe than AA.

American operates the 777-200, and 767-300. Continental operates 757-200, 767-200, 767-400, and 777-200. Most of Continental Airlines service are single daily flights from IAH/EWR. Most of American Airlines are Double Daily!

**LONDON

AA-
LHR-JFK(6), LHR-BOS(2), LHR-LAX(2), LHR-ORD(4), LHR-MIA(2)
LGW-RDU, LGW-DFW(2)

CO-
LGW-EWR(2), LGW-IAH(2), LGW-CLE

DL
LGW-ATL(2), LGW-CVG

**PARIS

AA-
CDG-JFK(2), CDG-ORD, CDG-DFW, CDG-MIA

CO-
CDG-EWR(2), CDG-IAH

DL-
CDG-JFK, CDG-ATL(2), CDG-CVG

**FRANKFURT

AA-
FRA-ORD, FRA-DFW

CO-
FRA-EWR

DL-
FRA-JFK, FRA-ATL, FRA-CVG

**ROME

AA-
FCO-ORD, FCO-JFK

CO-
FCO-EWR(2)

DL-
FCO-BOS, FCO-JFK, FCO-ATL, FCO-CVG

**MANCHESTER

AA-
MAN-ORD, MAN-BOS

CO-
MAN-EWR

DL-
MAN-ATL

**MADRID

AA-
MAD-MIA

CO-
MAD-EWR

DL-
MAD-JFK, MAD-ATL

Avianca

Fri May 13, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 42):
**FRANKFURT

AA-
FRA-ORD, FRA-DFW

CO-
FRA-EWR

DL-
FRA-JFK, FRA-ATL, FRA-CVG

FRA-ATL by DL is double daily.

UA-
FRA-IAD(2)
FRA-ORD(2)
FRA-SFO(1)

NW-
FRA-DTW(1)

US-
FRA-PHL(2)
FRA-CLT(1)

just for your information, FRA handled nearly the double of pax each year than FCO. FRA is the biggest continental european airport, with tons of US flights each day by multible airlines.

regards
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

commavia

Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am

TinPusher007--

Sorry it took so long, but now I can give you some firm numbers per Air Transport World’s May 2005 issue. All numbers are for the year 2004:

International Passengers Carried:

1) AA (17,299,000 passengers)
2) UA (9,370,000)
3) CO (8,708,000)
4) NW (7,647,000)
5) DL (7,263,000)
6) US (4,451,000)

Europe Passengers Carried:

1) AA (4,432,000 passengers)
2) DL (4,355,000)
3) UA (3,620,000)
4) CO (3,331,000)
5) NW (2,524,000)
6) US (1,866,000)

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 37):
The point I was trying to make is that individually, both of these carriers serve more destinations in Europe than AA does.

You are absolutely right. As of this summer, based on number of European airports served:

1) CO (23)
2) DL (21)
3) US (17)
4) AA (12)
5) UA (7)
6) NW (5)

What these numbers largely reflect is how concentrated AA's European network is. While CO serves 23 cities, over half receive just one flight per day. At AA, by contrast, one city, London, receives fully half of all of AA's daily flights to Europe, and nearly 54% of all AA seats to Europe! That is just one city. If you add Paris and London together, just those two markets account for over two thirds of all AA seats to Europe.

It is just a reflection of a different market strategy. Generally speaking, CO and DL have chosen to serve many cities, with relatively few flights, from their enormous US connecting hub(s). AA, on the other hand, has chosen to serve relatively fewer cities, but generally operate more flights with more seats to each.

SESGDL

Fri May 13, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 42):
DL-
CDG-JFK, CDG-ATL(2), CDG-CVG

DL operates flights from JFK-CDG twice daily.

Jeremy

VS747SPUR

Fri May 13, 2005 6:13 am

Just a question for you all, why does AA operate both from LHR and LGW ?
Is this due to a slot issue at LHR or they just happy operating to LGW as well ?

Many thanks
VS747SPUR
Fly DL

commavia

Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting VS747SPUR (Reply 45):
Just a question for you all, why does AA operate both from LHR and LGW ?

Bermuda II. AA flies three times daily from LGW to DFW, its largest hub, and once daily to RDU. Per Bermuda II, both cities are prohibited from receiving nonstop access to LHR, otherwise AA would fly from both DFW and RDU to Heathrow, as they would prefer.

tinpusher007

Fri May 13, 2005 6:39 am

Commavia...thanx for the info. I love it when people provide documented info to back up their claims as you have done here. I always new AA was strictly T7's at LHR with tons of flights...but never knew it translated into more pax without serving the broad number of destinations of CO and DL.

Even so...DL is nmumber 2 on that list. The same scenario also appears between CO and UA...never would have guessed that UA takes more pax across the pond than CO, but it seems to be for the same reason as AA compared to DL. Maybe if DL would hurry up and claim BOS as theirs (and surpass AA's lead, respectively) they'd be number one on that list. Oh well...just my two cents.

AeroVodochody

Fri May 13, 2005 6:42 am

The top 5 international destinations for American tourists according to National Geographic Travel Magazine (Feb. 2005 issue):

I think that means that's where most people fly to, but they probably have flights from there to other places, like Prague, which is so congested with tourists that it's probably very high up on the list.
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

JrMafia90

Fri May 13, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting Adam (Reply 7):
Quoting Rommel (Reply 5):

I was also surprised not to see Rome on the list.

adam

Same here, I love to travel to Rome.