ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Interracial Relationships: Your Thoughts?

Sat May 14, 2005 11:59 am

It's been a few years since I last brought this up.... the Nebraska thread got me thinking about it again.

As the result of an interracial relationship, I'm often incredulous as to people's attitude toward this subject.

Though Im black as a muthaf^cker, and can easily "pass" for a full-blooded example of one race over the other... I continue to take pride in my mixed heritage, and wouldn't think twice of interacting in a relationship with one of a differing ethnic background.

Interracial dating and interracial relationships are viewed as a positive step towards smoother race relations by some; as "sellout" behavior and a denial of racial heritage by others. What's uncontested however, is that interracial relationships are on the rise. The 2000 census shows that as of 1995; Black males married outside of their race at a 171% increase since 1980, White females marrying interracially increased 124%, and White males with a 96% increase.

So what say you:

• Would you get with whomever makes you happy?

• Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race?

• Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race?

• Anyone here date interracially exclusively?

• ...and lastly, anyone feel that interracial dating is wrong, not only for you, but for society?
    If so, speak up, I'd like insight into your perspective. And (I know that me saying this is totally pot calling kettle, but) I'd appreciate it if people do not attack anyone who says thus, but rather just hear them out.
  • Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

L.1011

RE: Interracial Relationships: Your Thoughts?

Sat May 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Why the hell not?

3 Facts that make this "Interracial" thing a bunch of BS
    *There is more genetic differentiation between members of the same race than members of two different races.
    *The average white person has 2% black ancestry.
    *The average black person has 17% white ancestry.

CORULEZ05

Sat May 14, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Thread starter):
    Would you get with whomever makes you happy?

absolutely. I don't care about people's skin color. I have been with black men in the past. I applaud interracial couples because it isn't easy. For some reason society frowns up such a thing and it is absolutely ridiculous. Ultimately, I think that what is inside a person is what matters and not the color of their skin. If they can make me happy, then I'll all for it. I am not seeing a black person now but I am "talking" with a darker complexion mexican guy ( I am somewhat tanned but without it I am really white). I have heard some comments but I don't care because things are going good so far and he's a good guy. So, I am all for interracial dating.

I'm sure you are more interested in the people against it and hearing what they have to say...
    Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

N1120A

Sat May 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Yep

Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race?

Nope. Being mixed as well means I know how wonderful that can be. I never limit myself. Besides, I like blondes too much Big grin.

Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race?

No, I feel it is ok to marry, have children with and/or date anyone you damn well please. In fact, if you are in love with someone to the point that you would commit to them for the rest of your life and have children, it is a downright disservice to you, them and society to not be with them. It matters not where they are from or what color they are.

Anyone here date interracially exclusively?

Nope

...and lastly, anyone feel that interracial dating is wrong, not only for you, but for society?

No, I think it is right if you are attracted to and have feelings for the other person. It is, in fact, good for society because it allows that much more genetic diversity and makes the human race stronger.
    Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 12:14 pm

YES!!!

Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race?

It's HAPPENED to work out that way now that I'm married to a white Cuban chick  Smile

...and lastly, anyone feel that interracial dating is wrong, not only for you, but for society?
    If so, speak up, I'd like insight into your perspective. And (I know that me saying this is totally pot calling kettle, but) I'd appreciate it if people do not attack anyone who says thus, but rather just hear them out.

You are SUCH an agent provocateur!!!!

Honestly I have gotten jealous over some of the blonde BABES I have seen with some black men, but I eventually come to my senses and realize how ugly I am 'even being white' and I get over it. While I might be jealous it's more of a 'damn I wish I was hitting that myself' thing then look at that BLACK guy with a BLONDE girl thing.

Something I have always wondered.. MOST interracial couples (yes I have seen lots of OTHER variations) I have noticed are Blonde girls and black guys. Given the Vain Nature of most Blonde chicks I have known this makes a LOT of sense as a match to me, but I was wondering if anyone else shared this observation or had any other ideas...

ANOTHER thing I have to say is if ANYONE is STUPID enough to say God didn't mean for the races to mix or other such NONSENSE, you are an IDIOT!!!

If race mixing is "wrong" why can I get a Black/Hispanic/Asian/whatever chick pregnant and why can men of those races impregnate whoever they wanted to as well?

Animal sex is wrong that's why Humans don't have puppies...

Interracial sex is alright!!!  checkmark 
    This space intentionally left blank

Delta767300ER

Sat May 14, 2005 12:19 pm

It doesent bother me. Your free to date whoever you want.

-Delta767300ER

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Here's a little some'n some'n else you types can help me out with as well:

What's the obsession with blondes? Noticed it in two posts already.

I've personally rarely found them physically alluring, but perhaps it's more to do with the fact that anyone with $20 and a blowdryer can be one. Help me understand.
    Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):
    Help me understand.

Taste is a powerful sense.

I have NEVER tasted a NATURAL blonde that was offensive, Redheads are usually a bit better  Smile

N1120A

Sat May 14, 2005 12:30 pm

I've personally rarely found them physically alluring, but perhaps it's more to do with the fact that anyone with $20 and a blowdryer can be one. Help me understand.

Well, part of it is we want to see if they are a natural blonde, if you know what I mean Freddie  bigthumbsup 

What's the obsession with blondes?

I think it is an opposites attract thing. I mean, there are a lot of guys who are obsessed with East Asian girls or exotic Latin/Sub-Continental looking girls. A lot of the ones into the tanned, dark haired type girls are lighter white dudes. A lot of black men are into East Asian girls. You know what I look like, and for those who don't, I have tan skin, dark eyes and dark hair. I look just like my Iranian father. A lot of guys like me like blondes. I have always had a thing for them. Then again, I think this girl is the most beautiful in the world:

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 7):
    Redheads are usually a bit better

To that (i.e., the non-freckled ones) I will WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!!!

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
    Well, part of it is we want to see if they are a natural blonde, if you know what I mean Freddie

...part of me wants to remind you how many chicks (and hell, dudes for that matter) dye both hemispheres, if you know what I mean whateveryournameis.

KC135R

Sat May 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Absolutely, it should be a crime not to be with whoever makes you happy - as long as that person is a consenting adult, or of the same age range if you yourself are not an adult.

Irrelevant, it is about the person, not about the race.

Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race?

It's ok to date, marry, and have children.

Nope - but have in the past - so not exclusive either way.

No - now question for you....

As an interracial child, did you have any problems fitting in? Because some people argue (though IMO even if this is true it is society's problem not the couple's problem or the child's problem) that mixed children have a harder time, I am just wondering if there is any truth to that.

BTW: I am sure there is truth to it, let me clarify my question though. I would assume, due to the prejudices that people have, it is tough - but some people (mostly bigoted people) argue that is a reason not to introduce mixed children into society - is their argument as ridiculous as it sounds? I am sure it can be tough growing up mixed, so I am not trying to minimize that situation, that's what I wanted to clarify.

[Edited 2005-05-14 05:47:06]

N1120A

Sat May 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 9):
    ...part of me wants to remind you how many chicks (and hell, dudes for that matter) dye both hemispheres, if you know what I mean whateveryournameis.

Very few women dye the lower (no idea about men, don't have your experience) from my experience. Often, they will just shave it.

Quoting KC135R (Reply 10):
    As an interracial child, did you have any problems fitting in?

Ask him about being interracial AND gay. That will get you an interesting earfull

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 12:47 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 9):
    To that (i.e., the non-freckled ones) I will WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!!!

Girls with freckles have been good to me.. I like playing connect the dots with my tongue  Smile

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 10):
    As an interracial child, did you have any problems fitting in? Because some people argue (though IMO even if this is true it is society's problem not the couple's problem or the child's problem) that mixed children have a harder time, I am just wondering if there is any truth to that.

Well, since I've never ~not~ been mixed, I really don't have sufficient scientific control as to make that call.

That technical BS aside, I'm inclined to agree with the argumentative "some" that you mentioned, to an extent. Some identity crises, some problems fitting in:
  • My eldest sister can/does "pass" for white, and rarely has anything to do with Blacks or the black side of our family
  • My two elder sisters and myself lived in an all-white neighborhood, went to an all-white church, a virtually all-white school (17 out of 940 students identified as non-Caucasian), and basically could go weeks without interracting with any Black besides our mother and housekeepers (keep in mind that New Orleans is by far a predominantly-Black city)
    Our parents have since rectified this with our younger sisters.
  • One of my mother's brothers still has not "forgiven" her for marrying a white man, some 26yrs after the fact.
  • etc

• That said, I also believe that I've been given insight and perspective that one raised within a single race environment (with little interaction elsewhere) might not.... and that's invaluable. A "mixed" blessing  Smile But a blessing nonetheless

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
    Ask him about being interracial AND gay.

You forgot Southern Baptist and Republican. Avek00 believes my house should become a protected sanctuary  Yeah sure

N1120A

Sat May 14, 2005 12:50 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 13):
    Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
    Ask him about being interracial AND gay.

You forgot Southern Baptist and Republican. Avek00 believes my house should become a protected sanctuary

Yeah "sanctuary" is Earl's way of saying "sanitarium"  crazy 

My two elder sisters and myself lived in an all-white neighborhood, went to an all-white church, a virtually all-white school (17 out of 940 students identified as non-Caucasian), and basically could go weeks without interracting with any Black besides our mother and housekeepers (keep in mind that New Orleans is by far a predominantly-Black city)

New Orleans may be, but La Place?

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 pm

Southern Baptist and Republican

I KNEW there was SOMETHING that wasn't 'quite right' about you!!!!!!

allstarflyer

Sat May 14, 2005 1:05 pm

Color doesn't mean jack. We all eat, breathe, sleep, put our pants on, bleed red, get cavities, fart, suffer acne, wear glasses, make friends, make enemies and plug along no matter what color we are. The fact that all people have feelings and bleed the same color of blood is what escapes those who continually adhere to anti-interracial sentiments.

-R
    Living the American Dream

avek00

Sat May 14, 2005 1:09 pm

FYI - I'm a 20-something college-educated Black male from a suburban background.

*Raises hand*

The four women that I have dated over the years fit into the same profile: tall (5'10"+), of Scandinavian ancestry (Swedish/Norwegian family background), with *BLONDE* hair and blue or green eyes. I have the right to miscegenate, and I choose to exercise it whenever possible.
    Live life to the fullest.

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 1:10 pm

I guess no one wants to be flame bait.... or answer my question about blondes/blacks, but I guess I have to go to sleep sometime ey?

ShyFlyer

Sat May 14, 2005 1:13 pm

We are all the same on the inside, so why not?

Quote:
    If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

William Shakespeare
    I lift things up and put them down.

CaptOveur

Sat May 14, 2005 1:14 pm

# Anyone here date interracially exclusively?

My girlfriend is Hispanic... I am pasty white.. You really can't tell we aren't both white though.
    Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

garnetpalmetto

Sat May 14, 2005 1:16 pm

Well, there's one thing I do share in common with Freddy and that's being biracial, in case some of you didn't know/hadn't guess by now. In terms of my skin tone, I can pass off for lots of things, but neither really "white" or really "black." For me it was a bit harder growing up, especially since I was raised by, and adopted by, my maternal grandparents. To start off with, my early childhood was pretty solitary in that I was "too white" for the black kids around me and "too black" to fit in with the white kids. When I got to middle school though, I fell into a multiracial crowd who didn't care what ethnic background I was.

My problem cam ewith my last ex. Her mother did NOT approve of us dating based on the grounds that it was "immoral" and 'unholy." Mind you she was a Republican Southern Baptist. After we broke up, her hypocrisy was revealed in full to me when she set her daughter up with another guy...a half Australian/half-Pakistani medical student. Hmm...I wonder why....

At any rate, to answer the questions posed...

Would you get with whomever makes you happy? Heck yes.

Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race? Err...gee, I'm trapped in a corner. No matter WHOM I get involved with, it's interracial.

Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race? No, I don't.

Anyone here date interracially exclusively? Again, see above. ALL dating I do, by its very nature, is interracial.
    South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 20):
    My girlfriend is Hispanic

I don't consider my wife to 'not be white' and she's Cuban... Did I miss something about latins being a 'separate race'? I thought we (generic whites, and latins) were all part of European decent?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be very happy to be wrong on this one, and I'll love my wife no matter what.. I just had a different perspective on this till now...

KC135R

Sat May 14, 2005 1:18 pm

You forgot Southern Baptist and Republican. Avek00 believes my house should become a protected sanctuary

Wait...interracial, gay, Southern Baptist, and Republican? What an absolutely interesting combination.  Smile

My eldest sister can/does "pass" for white, and rarely has anything to do with Blacks or the black side of our family

Do you personally relate more with one race than the other? Or is it fairly evenly split?

MD-90

Sat May 14, 2005 1:20 pm

Red hair, green eyes, and not pasty-white skin is best, in my book... Big grin

4 of my good friends are black guy-white girl couples. None of us think twice about it, although Dre has said that he notices people giving them looks sometimes, and it's not the people he would expect). Especially in Tuscaloosa (less so in Mississippi, I guess). Derrick always says that mixed (one black one white parent) children are the most beautiful of all.

You know, once you go black, you never go back.

CaptOveur

Sat May 14, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 22):
    Did I miss something about latins being a 'separate race'? I thought we (generic whites, and latins) were all part of European decent?

Depends who you ask. Some say yes, some say no.
    Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

TedTAce

Sat May 14, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 24):
    Red hair, green eyes

....Big boobs, and.....

ArmitageShanks

Sat May 14, 2005 1:29 pm

Race has nothing to do with my mate selection. If I liked a girl that was black, white, or orange it doesn't matter.

Love has a way of breaking down ANY barrier be it religious, family pressure, background, etc.

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 1:42 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 23):
    Wait...interracial, gay, Southern Baptist, and Republican? What an absolutely interesting combination.

...that's one way to describe it; I've heard plenty of others

Quoting KC135R (Reply 23):
    Do you personally relate more with one race than the other? Or is it fairly evenly split?

Because I LOOK so much like one, and "act" so much like the other... the choice is often made for me, so far as others' perception goes.

KC135R

Sat May 14, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 28):
    ...that's one way to describe it; I've heard plenty of others

No doubt you have - the world is getting better, but still has a long way to go in accepting people who are different from the "norm". I personally find it fascinating that you come from such a unique background and have become such a unique person. I bet you have, as you alluded to before, some really interesting perspectives on life and other, more specific, topics as well.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 28):
    Because I LOOK so much like one, and "act" so much like the other... the choice is often made for me, so far as others' perception goes.

What about you, on the inside though? Deep down do you relate more to one than to the other, or not really?

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 29):
    I bet you have, as you alluded to before, some really interesting perspectives on life and other, more specific, topics as well.

...um, you must be new: apparently aren't to familiar with my "work" around here, are ya? Big grin

Quoting KC135R (Reply 29):
    What about you, on the inside though? Deep down do you relate more to one than to the other, or not really?

relate much more easily to Whites and Latinos than I do Blacks.... not to say that I cannot though.

Don't relate well with (non-westernized) Asians at all.

KC135R

Sat May 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 30):
    ...um, you must be new: apparently aren't to familiar with my "work" around here, are ya?

I am new to posting here, but I have been reading for quite some time. I have seen your posts before, always though they were insightful - though I don't always agree, but that's normal.

ConcordeBoy
    Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 31):
    though I don't always agree,

...would be pretty scary if ya did--- I have a rather "unique" perspective on certain issues.  Wink

mrniji

Sat May 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Being colored and having lived abroad almost all of my life, I have only had interacial relationships - fo me, never a matter to think about.. and even the only Indian I dated had another race for me, as she is from the South, while I am a punjaby (Texdravid, hope you read this Big grin )
    "The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ANCFlyer

Sat May 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Yes . . . it's my business . . .

Nope . . . I prefer to get and/or remain romatically involved with the person that makes me happy.

Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race

Nope - if getting married is your thing, have at it! If having little rugrats is your thing, go for the gusto! Me, I hate marriage and hate kids more, so the question, as far as I'm concerned, is moot.

Not exclusively. I have dated interracially, but not exclusively. See my reply to your first question.

Not at all . . . in fact, it's a part of society, another facet of this race called humans.
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

flybyguy

Sat May 14, 2005 4:10 pm

I've noticed a lot of Asian half-breeds at school. Many have only subtle features of the Asian race while the 'white' half of them seems to overpower everything else. If you don't look closely they'd easily pass for full white. Looks like people were getting pretty busy with Asian women during the 80s.

I personally think mixed people look a little bizarre, especially when they exhibit very uncommon features for their race... for instance, an African-American person with blond hair or an Asian person with blue eyes.

As far as dating interracially, I don't think I can stand the social repercussions of it and I think at least in America. I am a very self conscious person and rarely take criticism lightly. I have also read somewhere that interracial relationships don't last too long because of negative societal pressures. Then again, we rarely can control with whom we fall in love with so I am not completely discounting the prospect of dating outside my race.

For the most part I would have to say that the very positive opinions expressed in this thread are probably not representative of mainstream views. Therefore, all those who tread on the interracial path could look forward to an arduous journey of ridicule and secret whispers behind their backs.
    "Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

texdravid

Sat May 14, 2005 9:45 pm

As an Indian-American, I have had the pleasure of dating every race imaginable, as well as those of mixed-race. I have learned much from each person, and think variety is the spice of life.

Remember, racism is not limited to white people. On the contrary, they have made probably great strides in the last 20 years.

On the other hand, there are other cultures, like India, where skin tone is very important, and racism sometimes flourishes. Put it this way, I have experienced more grief for being a dark skinned man from fellow Indians that from any white man!!
    Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

NumberTwelve

Sat May 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Sorry, what a question! In what century do you live, Concordeboy?
    signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Falcon84

Sat May 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Where's Libturd to spicen up a post when you need him?  Big grin
    Work Right, Fly Hard

BMIFlyer

Sun May 15, 2005 12:09 am

Nothing at all wrong with interracial relationships in my opinion. If you want to be with each other then so be it. You going to stop just because he/she is a different race?

For me, No.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
    Where's Libturd to spicen up a post when you need him?

rotfl   rotfl  I wondered who'd be the first to mention that  Wink

Thanks

Lee
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

canuckpaxguy

Sun May 15, 2005 12:14 am

# Would you get with whomever makes you happy?
    SURE, IF THEY COULD HANDLE ME.

# Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race?
    NO, OTHERWISE I'D HATE MY PARENTS.

# Do you feel it's okay to date, but not marry/bear children, outside of your race?
    ABSOLUTELY.

Amy

Sun May 15, 2005 12:17 am

The person I went out with the longest so far was Indian.

I actually prefer being in mixed race relationships, plus I tend to find I am more attracted to people who are not English and white. No offence to any white English people!
    A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

n229nw

Sun May 15, 2005 12:21 am

Interracial relationships are definitely a LIBERAL PLOT to destabilize us so the gays can take over the country, and then the world. I know this because I am very smart for a 6-, er, I mean 13-year-old.

Recently I went to the zoo and measured the monkeys' foreheads there, comparing them to the local Negros. It can be clearly seen that the colored, the apes, AND THE FRENCH share a forehead height of about 7 times the length of my pee-pee (this was the only measuring aid I had available). The angle is also different from the forehead angle of good Christian white folks. If we whites start marrying out, what will happen next? pre-marital sex!?!?!?

In conclusion, my logic clearly proves the following: GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS GEORGE WALKER BUSH, OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF!

Signed,
    Libturdslayer

[Edited 2005-05-14 17:23:23]
    All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

TedTAce

Sun May 15, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 42):
    Signed,
    Libturdslayer

Beauty!!!!
    ROFLMAO!!!

But ummmm.. be careful what you wish for...

PacificWestern

Sun May 15, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 42):
    :

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! I love it.

CORULEZ05

Sun May 15, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 34):
    I have dated interracially,

...surprising I must say....

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 24):
    You know, once you go black, you never go back.

.....not always true.......

I don't consider my wife to 'not be white' and she's Cuban... Did I miss something about latins being a 'separate race'?

of course it is. If your wife is Cuban, she is not technically white...even though she might be white in skin color. If you are dating a hispanic, you are dating "interracial" because us latins are a seperate race.

[Edited 2005-05-14 19:08:52]
    Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

TedTAce

Sun May 15, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 45):
    If you are dating a hispanic, you are dating "interracial" because us latins are a seperate race.

Goody for me  Smile !!!

PDPsol

Sun May 15, 2005 2:57 am

Did I miss something about latins being a 'separate race'? I thought we (generic whites, and latins) were all part of European decent?

Actually, it depends on who you are referring to. "Latins" can be of ANY race, native American/Indian, European, Asian, African or any possible mix.

Most "latinos" from Mexico are of mixed Indian and European descent, "mestizo"; over 80% of Mexico's population is either Indian or mestizo. Central American nations have similar demographic characteristics, and, of course, ALL these societies have citizens of European descent who [surprise, surprise!!] also tend to be wealthiest and exercise the greatest political and economic power.

Many latinos from the Carribean [Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba] are of mixed African, European ["mulatto"] and, in many cases, Indian descent.

In South America, the Andean nations [Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia] have large, and in most cases, majority Indian and mestizo populations.

Brazil is a truly diverse society [much more so than the US], with a large African and mulatto population as well as descendents of European immigrants from every possible country you can think of, including Italy, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Germany, France, Lebanon, etc., as well as a large Jewish community. In fact, southern Brazil is home to the largest Japanese community outside of Japan and has GREAT sushi restaurants!

River Plate Argentina and Uruguay are the only societies with European-majority populations in Latin America and European influence is everywhere; cuisine, architecture, customs, etc.

The ONLY characteristic defining all these societies as "Latin American" is the fact that, at some point in time, they were colonies of imperial Spain and Portugal! In addition, one could even refer to former French colonies in the western Hemisphere, Haiti and even Quebec [and New Orleans] as "Latin" as well.

So, the reality is infinitely more complex than the simple characterization of certain individuals as "latinos".

TedTAce

Sun May 15, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 47):
    Many latinos from the Carribean [Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba] are of mixed African, European ["mulatto"] and, in many cases, Indian descent.

Great post  Smile

My wife has some Chinese in her as well, can tell by her eyes, which aren't fully asian, but have a hint of it.

jasepl

Sun May 15, 2005 3:51 am

Being a half breed myself (Caucasian and Subcontinental), everything's interracial for me, I guess. Unless I meet someone else who is part French and part Indian! I'm going to have to go with Garnetpelmetto's responses, for the most part:

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 21):
    Would you get with whomever makes you happy? Heck yes.

Do you prefer to remain romantically-involved within the confines of your own race? Err...gee, I'm trapped in a corner. No matter WHOM I get involved with, it's interracial.

Anyone here date interracially exclusively? Again, see above. ALL dating I do, by its very nature, is interracial.

The only exception being:
    Of course it is. Why is it even an issue?