clipperhawaii

Newsweek And The Apology. How Big Of Them.

Mon May 16, 2005 10:58 pm

Newsweek magazine said on Sunday it erred in a May 9 report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.

"The Holy Koran was defiled by the dirtiest of hands"

Yeah, Newsweek's. They and their editors are now directly responsible for what, over then deaths? All this over a FALSE story. I hope they are proud!

And we all know who the real loser in this is.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

jamesag96

RE: Newsweek And The Apology. How Big Of Them.

Mon May 16, 2005 11:13 pm

Shame 15 people had to die so Isikoff could get his story.

Can't say I am surprised.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

mbmbos

Mon May 16, 2005 11:36 pm

And how many people had to die because the Administration lied about weapons of mass destruction?

UALPHLCS

Mon May 16, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 2):
And how many people had to die because the Administration lied about weapons of mass destruction?

Fewer than died under Saddam Hussein. Just two weeks ago they found another of his mass graves.

You don't even deserve a responce to the lying comment.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

tristarenvy

Mon May 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Another example of the lack of ethics in journalism these days. Don't copy editors check any of this crap?

Those folks in Afghanistan should exercise another current trend in the USA, SUE the hell outta Newsweek for "incitement to riot"...
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

ANCFlyer

Mon May 16, 2005 11:49 pm

redflag  this thread isn't about WMD or anything else, give it a frickin' rest will ya. Contribute something to the thread topic or STFU.

Newsweek, with their irresponsible reporting, caused a world wide fervor amonsgt the Islamic population. Just a further example of lousy, sensationalist journalism whose only interest is getting the story whether it's right or not.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mbmbos

Mon May 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 3):
You don't even deserve a responce to the lying comment.

Really? Why is it that I don't deserve a response? And how is my comment a lie?

It's amazing how much moral outrage you can muster against Newsweek. Quite a double standard you have going there.

clipperhawaii

Tue May 17, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 6):

It's amazing how much moral outrage you can muster against Newsweek. Quite a double standard you have going there.

You are joking right? To compare the two is really reaching for the highest branch of pathetic comparisons hanging from a dead tree.

Timberrrrrrrrrrrr!

What is not surprising is the outright silence form those who gloat with glee when this story broke because it put the U.S. in a poor light.

Where are those people now?

dl021

Tue May 17, 2005 8:51 am

Too little, too late. In their quest to besmirch the US and the freedom they feel to attack our efforts in this war the left leaning journalists who wrote, edited and published this article managed to give the radicals an excuse to riot and murder. I blame the journalists for shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater. There is a responsibility borne by the free press, and these asses forgot about that.

Well, I was going to respond to that, but these two did ok...I'll echo their responses for further emphasis.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 3):
Fewer than died under Saddam Hussein. Just two weeks ago they found another of his mass graves.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
redflag this thread isn't about WMD or anything else, give it a frickin' rest will ya. Contribute something to the thread topic or STFU.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

EA CO AS

Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 am

Recently heard in Newsweek's H.R. department:

"What the....who the HELL hired Jayson Blair?!?"
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jetjack74

Tue May 17, 2005 9:41 am

An apology? Too late, the damage has already been done.
Made from jets!

mbmbos

Tue May 17, 2005 10:31 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
or STFU.

"STFU", eh? Wow, you really know how to show off your debating prowess!

Looks like I struck a nerve. You might want to ask yourself why my comments have pushed your buttons so.

A large organization lies and many people die because of it. Hmmm, perhaps a parallel?

Where was your moral outrage when you found out that the Administration lied about WMD?

SFOMEX

Tue May 17, 2005 10:42 am

The issue here is if Newsweek made an honest mistake or they reported based on a real or apparent bias against the current administration. Anyway, today Fox News had a bashing fest over the issue and they sort of accused them of reporting out of a liberal bias.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

ANCFlyer

Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 11):
"STFU", eh? Wow, you really know how to show off your debating prowess!

Nothing to debate with you. I worded my post at a level I thought you could understand since you had nothing to say on the thread subject. Get over yourself.

Where was your moral outrage when you found out that the Administration lied about WMD?

Obviously you haven't read my previous posts on that subject. In that light, perhaps if you did some research it would clear your mind and you'd find my position on it. You're an Info Mgmt guru, should be easy for you.

On topic: I just watched an interview on NBC news with the Editor of Newsweek. I was rather taken aback by his apparent lack of ownership of this issue. While he did acknowledge that Newsweek should shoulder some responsibility, he did not outright accept blame for the unnecessary deaths and violence this article caused.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm in mainstream media these days.

[Edited 2005-05-17 04:16:19]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

dl021

Tue May 17, 2005 12:26 pm

You choose to call incorrect information a lie as it suits your political desires. That makes you no better than the self serving assmonkeys who put this article in the public eye and helped ignite a powderkeg.....and this will cost US lives

Believe that.

Everytime someone like you comes up with another reason to hate the US, you encourage the tangos and help them recruit. You are free to do it, but you are also responsible for your actions. Why don't you find something legitimate to say instead of repeating impossible to prove crap.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
On topic: I just watched an interview on NBC news with the Editor of Newsweek. I was rather taken aback by his apparent lack of ownership of this issue. While he did acknowledge that Newsweek should shoulder some responsibility, he did not outright accept blame for the unnecessary deaths and violence this article caus

Well, of course he isn't responsible for the damage.......just like the people that make superviolent video games aren't responsible for desensitizing children to violence. Just like the people who glorify pot smoking aren't responsible in any way for getting teenagers to try it. Just like public figures who smoke aren't responsible for kids who emulate them and smoke as well. Just like the parents of vandalous children aren't responsible for the actions of their little angels who grew up being babysat by dopesmoking teenagers who let them play superviolent video games and bought them cigarettes.

Its always someone elses fault.

UALPHLCS

Tue May 17, 2005 1:30 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 6):

The "Lying comment" in question was yours in reference to the administration.

The reason it dosen't deserve comment is because I don't think you want or would believe an explaination, and I'm not in the habit of wasting my time explaining the differece between "lying" and "not knowing information was wrong."

Additionly, I made no comment about Newsweek. You should read posts more carefully before you vent your "moral outrage."

If you want my opinion on the matter, I do see this as another in a series of jounalistic fabrications when facts don't mesh with the journalists world view. I'm not outraged because I'm not surprised. I've been reading mainstream media with a healthy dose of skeptism for 15 years now.

DLKAPA

Tue May 17, 2005 1:35 pm

Guys there's a reason that Newsweek is up with the rest of the supermarket tabloids.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

stlgph

Tue May 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Interesting articles on this from the Newsweek side.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857407/site/newsweek/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857154/site/newsweek/

Newsweek is not apologizing for any errors, but rather apologizing for what happened as a result of the story being published. Sounds to me like Newsweek went touchy touchy on some government officials, they went squeamish, Newsweek ran it, people went apeshit, the government thought it would be easy to blame Newsweek for it rather than take another blow for a fuck up. Sounds feasible, so I'm anxious to see what develops in the coming weeks following this.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 4):
Don't copy editors check any of this crap?

At a publication like Newsweek, not their responsibility.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

DLKAPA

Tue May 17, 2005 2:28 pm

OK let me say this again:

Newsweek is a tabloid!
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

MxCtrlr

Tue May 17, 2005 7:05 pm

Let's put it this way:

IF the story proves out to be true, then the US Government just stepped into a world of shit and they deserve all the bashing they get from it, however,

IF Newsweek took an anecdotal story and ran with it as hard-based fact, then they should be held liable for negligent homicide / manslaughter. If subsequent investigation proves this to be merely anecdotal heresay, then by Newsweek's running of this story as factual, they have committed 15-16 counts of manslaughter (not to mention how many more cases of kidnapping, etc, because of the outrage over this story by religious zealots).

I'd be interested to see what, if anything, idiot talking heads like the Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson types have to say about this (probably nothing much of any importance to anyone with more than half a brain).

All I'm saying is, rather than jumping to conclusions, like what happened after this "story" broke, maybe we should all wait for the smoke to clear and see how much truth there really is to this "story" before bashing everything from Mom's Apple Pie to GWB's mother (for having him to begin with).

(Note to self: Don't count on many people on this board being mature enough to actually look at, and weigh, the facts by themselves without bringing in all the associated baggage.)

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

garnetpalmetto

Tue May 17, 2005 10:29 pm

http://www.thestate.com/multimedia/thestate/KRT_packages/ariaillg.gif
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

NUAir

Tue May 17, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 19):
IF Newsweek took an anecdotal story and ran with it as hard-based fact, then they should be held liable for negligent homicide / manslaughter. If subsequent investigation proves this to be merely anecdotal heresay, then by Newsweek's running of this story as factual, they have committed 15-16 counts of manslaughter (not to mention how many more cases of kidnapping, etc, because of the outrage over this story by religious zealots).

I'm sorry but why should Newsweek be held accountable for anything? I'm still lost at why a Muslim would read a story about the Koran being flushed down a toilet and go out and kill other Muslims... something just seems completely out of wack here. When I saw Arabs burning American flags on Al Jeezer (sp?) I didn't go out on the street and kill a bunch of my fellow Americans. Newsweek didn't kill anyone some crazy religious zealots did. And since when did religious zealots start believing everything the US media says?

I hate Newsweek but I have to take their side on this one. If they want to blow what's left of their already defunct reputation good for them but don't hold them accountable for the crazy actions of others.

People need to learn to take the media with a grain of salt, god knows we don't hold them up to any ethical standards so why would we expect them to act ethically? They are in business to make money like anyone else and they live off controversy like this. If you want gov't control on media I heard Saudi Arabia and Cuba are nice places to live.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

NumberTwelve

Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 pm

Sorry, but I still believe in Newsweeks's first report.
We all know how governments can preasure "independent" newspapers.
Bush admin f.e. informed Qatari government to tell Al Jazeera to be friendly to the USA and "asked" for a more positive report.
The Qatari government denied - they had to inform the US admin, what "freedom of the press" means. So I am sure, that a request from US admin also arrived at Newsweek.
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

jamesag96

Tue May 17, 2005 11:05 pm

Yeah...I am sure #12 is spot on.

:rollingeyes:

Quoting NUair (Reply 21):
I'm still lost at why a Muslim would read a story about the Koran being flushed down a toilet and go out and kill other Muslims... something just seems completely out of wack here.

crazy actions

Ding ding ding.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 11:05 pm

The people that haven't gotten it yet will never get it. People who take religion FAR more seriously then we westerners do died because they trusted one of the few news sources that could offer an insight as to what was going on in Gitmo. Because of editorial arrogance.

I just hope that this example makes the J-school textbooks as an example of the consequences of poor ethical decison making in journalism.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

NUAir

Tue May 17, 2005 11:23 pm

This Just In!!!

The Onion published a list of the new agenda for the Iraqi gov't (and looking at the picture it must be from a credible source).

Maybe the US gov't should step in and shut down this publication before thousands of Iraqis start to riot and kill each other over the idea of putting down the insurgency by hiring them as police!

ANCFlyer

Tue May 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 22):
Sorry, but I still believe in Newsweeks's first report.

There's a surprise.  sarcastic 

I'm still lost at why a Muslim would read a story about the Koran being flushed down a toilet and go out and kill other Muslims... something just seems completely out of wack here. When I saw Arabs burning American flags on Al Jeezer (sp?) I didn't go out on the street and kill a bunch of my fellow Americans.

I would agree. It makes no sense to me . . .

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 11:52 pm

It doesn't really matter if it makes sense to us. People are dead because of this story. That's why editors and reporters have to think the shit through before rushing to get the scoop.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

NUAir

Wed May 18, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 27):
It doesn't really matter if it makes sense to us. People are dead because of this story.

Nobody died because of the story people died because of extremists. I read the story and I would really love to know where in the story it would lead a muslim to go out and kill another muslim. Last time I checked, the Koran (you know the piece of literature that was flushed down the toilet that they are so pissed off about) doesn't really encourage muslims to go out and kill each other.

In other words it seems like these "extremists" are going with the word of Newsweek, a BS American publication, over the word of god and the Koran... Now call me crazy but I think that these guys might pose more of a threat to stability in Afghanistan than some dumbshit editor at an insignificant US magazine.

You can put all the blame in the world on Newsweek but I have a feeling that these guys are looking for any excuse to kill people...

ltbewr

Wed May 18, 2005 12:08 am

The worst problem with this story is that it is plausable in the context of the well documented issues of the Bush administration's policies, status, treatment and interrigation of Gitmo prisioners. This is further compounded by the well documented bad treatment toward some Abu Garith prisioners, the general attitude of the Bush Administration toward the Islamic world, the anti-Islamic attitudes by many so-called Christians in the USA, the total refusal to acknowlege or to loophole around well established International Human Rights treaties as well as the transfer of suspected terrorists to 3rd countries to subject them to torture by their police/military agencies.
Because of all that, the creditability of our USA Government is virtually non-existant in the Islamic world, and worse yet, will probably lead to the long feared 'quagmire' for the USA in Iraq.
Newsweek is screwed too either way. If they held the story, probalby some web media person without the sourcing and editorial control would have done it. If they appear to give in to the USA government, then how can the public trust them to not just be in the control of our government. The worst part of this is that a lot of Islamic terrorists have been given a huge moral boost and more American/UK soldiers will die in Iraq and Afganistan because of it.

texdravid

Wed May 18, 2005 1:17 am

Isn't it amazing that the same people who accuse Bush of every bad act known to man, who don't give him ONE iota of credit in any sphere of public policy and don't give him a single benefit of the doubt now can state emphatically that Newsweek's Isikoff or Sandy Berger deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It is high time that we prefix every journalistic comment/story by saying that
this story was written by liberal/conservative leaning reporter ________.
If we have disclaimers on other items, we should have them when it comes to stories on the net, on TV, and in newspapers.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

flybyguy

Wed May 18, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting Jamesag96 (Reply 1):
Shame 15 people had to die so Isikoff could get his story.

Can't say I am surprised.

Another reason why selfish... far left leaning news media will one day face the consequences of their imprudent profiteering.

Quoting NUair (Reply 28):
Nobody died because of the story people died because of extremists.

Yeah, is that so? I think those 15 people would have been alive and well today if extremists weren't angered by that heap of horsesh*t article from Newsweek. Freedom of the press my ass, its just freedom to yellow journalism and ensuing profits. I hope the families of those 15 people sue Newsweek to bankruptcy. I think that with cause the news media... (i.e. rubbish dispensers) to excercise more caution when they consider publishing provocative stories of questionable veracity.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Leskova

Wed May 18, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 30):
Isn't it amazing that the same people who accuse Bush of every bad act known to man, who don't give him ONE iota of credit in any sphere of public policy and don't give him a single benefit of the doubt now can state emphatically that Newsweek's Isikoff or Sandy Berger deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It's not one iota more surprising that those who believe the US-Administration's ever changing reasoning, whatever the current version may be, for the war in Iraq was the one-and-only reason from the get-go.

What happened at Newsweek should never have happened - either you have your sources fully checked out and know (a "we assume with a high degree of probability" just won't cut it) that their reports are true - or you continue your work. You do not report something before that moment; certainly not something as problematic (in it's foreseable effect on the Muslim world) as this.

But guess whom else this standard applies to...

While some on the right side seem to be celebrating this as proof of the "liberal media's incompetence", I'd really keep the Champagne bottles in the refrigerator: neither side of the political spectrum has any type of moral high-ground to claim in this matter, currently it's just a question of "who's messed up more often than the others"?

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

mbmbos

Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 am

...and yet it still amazes me of the outrage that this Newsweek story has generated.

How many of you got this upset when you found out the the Administration systematically lied about Iraq? They told us that Hussein was a imminent threat to the U.S. They told us that they had WMDs, specifically, uranium on hand and sophisticated germ warfare equipment.

We went to war under false pretenses. Hundreds of Americans have died because of it. Thousands of Iraquis have died because of it.

Why is it that some of you are so upset with Newsweek and yet give the Bush Administration a pass on their deceptions?

777236ER

Wed May 18, 2005 2:32 am

Wait a minute. From John Simpson:

The pressure was on Newsweek to retract its report. The magazine checked with its source - a senior US official - who confirmed that he had come across references to the mistreatment of the Koran in the results of an US investigation into the mistreatment of prisoners at Guantanamo.

But he was no longer certain that they had come from the specific report he had originally named.

These are not even the first allegations that US guards and interrogators have desecrated the Koran in order to frighten prisoners or humiliate them.

On his website the respected US authority on the Middle East, Professor Juan Cole of the University of Michigan, carrie a despatch from the Italian news agency Ansa on 18 August 2004. It quotes accusations from former Guantanamo prisoners that a Koran was thrown into a toilet.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4551149.stm

So just how wrong was Newsweek?
Your bone's got a little machine

clipperhawaii

Wed May 18, 2005 2:40 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 34):
So just how wrong was Newsweek?

Very wrong. So wrong they retract the whole story and apologize. What don't you get about that???????????

Subscription cancelled.

777236ER

Wed May 18, 2005 2:47 am

Did you even read the quote from John Simpson?

stlgph

Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am

they hijack our planes. they try to blow up our buildings and embassies. they cut off heads of our humanitarian workers. they burn our flags. and we're supposed to play nice all the time? give me a fucking break.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 27):
That's why editors and reporters have to think the shit through before rushing to get the scoop.

so then what happens if Newsweek turns out to be right?

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 35):
Very wrong. So wrong they retract the whole story and apologize. What don't you get about that???????????

you obviously don't process words very well. their "apology" letter was nothing of the sort. Newsweek's letter was along the lines of....we've got a fully loaded plane, engines started, it's on the runway...we took off but we did a go around, came back, landed, and now we're poised to take off again but some pansy government official is trying to tell us he never said we could take off the first time.

NUAir

Wed May 18, 2005 2:53 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 31):
Yeah, is that so? I think those 15 people would have been alive and well today if extremists weren't angered by that heap of horsesh*t article from Newsweek. Freedom of the press my ass, its just freedom to yellow journalism and ensuing profits.

Wow an American siding with the extremists and opposed to Freedom of the Press. You rock!!

The beautiful thing about this country (and the thing you hate) is that we have freedom; the same thing that we are fighting for in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you don't believe in our rights or freedoms I'm sure Al Qaida would love to have you aboard.

...otherwise you could always read something else besides Newsweek... I know it sounds crazy but we have multiple sources of information here.

If you want gov't control on media I heard Saudi Arabia and Cuba are nice places to live.

United737522

Wed May 18, 2005 2:53 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 33):
...and yet it still amazes me of the outrage that this Newsweek story has generated.

Why is it that some of you are so upset with Newsweek and yet give the Bush Administration a pass on their deceptions?

Quit dragging your Bush bashing crap into a thread completely unrelated to the subject at hand.

The media is a joke these days, it is not about facts, but rather getting it first.
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

mbmbos

Wed May 18, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting United737522 (Reply 39):
Quit dragging your Bush bashing crap into a thread completely unrelated to the subject at hand.

So, I take it, you aren't able to explain this double standard?

clipperhawaii

Wed May 18, 2005 3:03 am

From Newsweek -- "But we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst."

That looks like an apology to me. An apology is to make an excuse for, or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense. I process words well thank you.

Newsweek blew it and they blew it big time!

Pope

Wed May 18, 2005 3:04 am

Am I the only one who thinks that they only people who are really owed an apology are the only ones we haven't heard from - the brave men and women stationed at Gitmo.

Newsweek's report was a slap in the face to the professionalism of US service men and women around the world. While any organization of this size can't be perfect, US military personnel are the apex of professionalism. I'd bet that in their relatively short history, the US military has lost more of our troops liberating people from oppression than any other military in all of history.

Newsweek's candy ass reporting cast a cloud on anyone who's served the uniform of the United States of America by making it seem that we tolerate this crap.

If Isikoff had any balls, he'd offer to fly down to Gitmo and personally apologize to the troops his report libeled.

Finally - I wonder how many Christian bibles were destroyed in the World Trade Center? Funny how that story never gets written.

[Edited 2005-05-17 20:19:07]
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

LHMark

Wed May 18, 2005 3:07 am

Good angle, Pope. You just shed some light on how the story affected everyone involved in the Afghanistan thing, regardless of religion or side.

stlgph

Wed May 18, 2005 3:09 am

yeah, too bad you left out the rest of it, which, pretty much reads (if you read the rest of the article), the government is backing out of everything using Newsweek as their scapegoat.

Last Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told us that a review of the probe cited in our story showed that it was never meant to look into charges of Qur'an desecration. The spokesman also said the Pentagon had investigated other desecration charges by detainees and found them "not credible." Our original source later said he couldn't be certain about reading of the alleged Qur'an incident in the report we cited, and said it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts. Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we. But we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.

—Mark Whitaker

Editor's Note: On Monday afternoon, May 16, Whitaker issued the following statement: Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Qur'an abuse at Guantanamo Bay.

dl021

Wed May 18, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 42):
Am I the only one who thinks that they only people who are really owed an apology are the only ones we haven't heard from - the brave men and women stationed at Gitmo.

Great point.

Those folks have been on the receiving end of crap from groups who want them to be monsters and portray them as such in order to further these groups' own agendas.

AeroWesty

Wed May 18, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 41):
That looks like an apology to me. An apology is to make an excuse for, or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense. I process words well thank you.

Newsweek blew it and they blew it big time!

Clipper, I'm not sure what part of this apology you're not understanding. They aren't apologizing for reporting what they, at the time, believed to be true, regardless of anyone's political bent on how they read the story.

They've now issued an apology for the events that occurred due to the interpretation of the story, not for having published what they thought to be true at the time.

IF you have evidence that they intentionally ran this story merely to stir up violence in Muslim countries, and further destabilize Iraq, please present your evidence.

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

Pope

Wed May 18, 2005 4:44 am

My point is that the only ones really harmed by this are the ones whose reputation has been damaged. The boys in Washington know that when they get involved in politics that stuff like this is going to come their way.

The vast majority of our soldiers go to work and carryout their duties with the utmost professionalism and respect. While I won't say that no soldier has ever done this, I think that the article attempted to paint a distorted picture of what is and what is not tolerated by our service men and women.

I'm not buying into the righteous indignation that many on the right are exhibiting today. Unless they were implicated in the report they've suffered no harm from this report. That being said, the ones who were implicated, if by nothing more than association deserve an apology.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

UALPHLCS

Wed May 18, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 33):
How many of you got this upset when you found out the the Administration systematically lied about Iraq? They told us that Hussein was a imminent threat to the U.S. They told us that they had WMDs, specifically, uranium on hand and sophisticated germ warfare equipment.

We went to war under false pretenses. Hundreds of Americans have died because of it. Thousands of Iraquis have died because of it.

There is no double standard. I'll try to explain this even though I know you don't care and won't accept the answer and made up your mind about this subject on election night 2000.

The French intelligence agancy said Saddam Hussien had WMDs. The German intelligence agency said Sadam Hussien had WMDs. The Russian intelligence agency said Saddam had WMDs. The Isreali intelligence said Saddam had WMDs. The British said Saddam had WMDs. The Jordanian's said Saddam had WMDs and THE UN said that Saddam had WMDs. Has a pattern sunk in yet. The whole world thought Saddam had WMDs, the UN Demaded that he come clean about his weapons programs. Saddam refused to do so, he thought he could buff the UN and the US and the whole world. Saddam Hussien lied. The only thing the US administration is guilty of is believing his lie.

How many times have you heard about cops shooting a suspect who was threatening them only to find out later that the threat was from a toy gun? I've seen it on TV, and read about it in the paper. One has to take a threat seriously until it can be determined the threat no longer exists or never existed.

Saddam threatened the world and the Bush administration called his bluff.

Newsweek ran a story that they are now totally retracting. They didn't bother to verify it with other sources. Like the US did with the French, Germans Isrealis, Russians, British. They had a single unverifiable story. That's why the two are totally different. That's why your comments have no bearing on the Newsweek story. But I don't expect you to be able to understand the difference, you're just as blinded by hate as the Muslim extremists that rioted over a made up story. You are ready and willing to believe anything that fits with your preconcieved notions.

777236ER

Wed May 18, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 47):
My point is that the only ones really harmed by this are the ones whose reputation has been damaged.

In fairness, the ones really harmed by this were the people who died as a result.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 48):
The British said Saddam had WMDs

This despite our intelligence agencies urging caution.