Greyhound
Topic Author

Have You Goofed On Anyone Lately?

Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 am

I find it quite amusing to read in different a.net threads all of the "signed by" postings and other jabs people take at one another. Not that I'm trying to instigate anything here, but for amusement only, anyone you care to take a shot at? Mom jokes (however lame), sheep references and anything bashing lib****slayer are more than welcome. (I need something to laugh at... some of these threads are getting a little dull.)
29th, Let's Go!

LHMark

RE: Have You Goofed On Anyone Lately?

Tue May 17, 2005 7:09 am

There is an etiquette to cracking on fellow A.netters. Here's a good starter guide, not sanctioned by A.net or it's administration and crew:

1. You have to make them a caricature; assign them an overblown trait based on something they once posted that becomes their "crackback persona." For example,

• Jcs17 is fat and eats constantly

• Aa61hvy is a roided-out fratboy who can't hold his liquor

• All women not hospitalized for anorexia are too fat for EmiratesA345

• Airlinelover gets fired all the time

• I'm a Beetle-driving, makeup-wearing lush

etc. The joy of the crackback isn't in the personal attack, but in finding creative new ways to slam folks with their existing persona.

2. People who aren't regular trash-talkers may not enjoy being cracked on. If they repeatedly say stupid things, post tons of attention posts, or spew flamebait, then by all means, blast away. Otherwise, if the victim gives a negative response after a trial blast, you know they're "off limits." Euros often fit into this category, especially the humorless Germans.

3. Posting gay references in blasts on straight people is a gray area. The essence of the "you're gay" joke isn't really to call someone gay. It's to tease an obviously straight dude about his masculinity.

These are generally too obvious and easy to constitute good smack. Most gay members don't care too much about this sort of thing, but some can get pretty riled up. If you're gonna post a "gay" blast, base it on some cheesy innuendo you found within your victims post, don't just make a cheesy gay reference out of the blue. And for god's sake, don't blast any of the gay members for being gay. It's tacky and they've heard it all before without having to get it on A.net as well.

4. Overly political users are really fun to wind up

5. Pics, pics, pics. ebaum's world has a bunch of forum-ready crackback images, as does eurowhiners, which focuses on more of the classic A.net member-generated images. Lately, I've been getting a kick out of making my own. Remember, every time you post a pic of you or your stuff, you're putting your a$$ out to get kicked

6. If someone wants you to stop, stop. Personal example, a couple of years ago one member posted something that went over as extremely southern racist. I illustrated the point by making a photo collage of a klansman driving the General Lee (from the Dukes of Hazzard), and posting it a few times, saying "you're ride is here." After a bit, I got the feeling that he really hated it, and maybe it was too harsh. That image was retired that second. The smack talking and crackbacks are supposed to be funny and edgy, not overly hurtful.

7. The most important thing. If you swing it, be able to catch it, too. Nothing gets someone piled on more than being able to dish it out, but not take it. KROC gets accused of this a lot, but he'll even KO himself if the smack is strong enough. Which brings me to...

8. The "awards." KROC brought most of them to the forum (I think MattD brought "The Prize." They just sort of evolved here. A brief rundown:

• The K.O.

An award for a knockout blast against another member. There have been imitations, but there is only one K.O., And only KROC can issue it with authority.

• The Shaft

Issued for self-gloss and Ralph Wiggum-style idiocy. Again the shaft is pretty much the sole province of KROC, its inventor.

• The Piazza

This image of Mike Piazza striking out is issued whenever someone brings weak smack (see Appendix D. Subsection II: TheCoz). Anyone can employ the Piazza with decent effect.

• The Cricket Player

Like the Piazza, but reserved for members from commonwealth countries. Since Indian and Australian members have pretty much no sense of humor, that leaves the Brits. It will apply to Gkirk until I can find an image of someone screwing up a caber toss.

There are plenty of others: The Prize, the Attention Whore, The room (or cargo bay) of People who Care, etc. Go ahead, mix and match!

One of the things that makes the non-av forum is the spirited give-and take between the members. If you've been refraining from joining this fray, but you'd like to, feel free to initiate yourself by hurling your first blast at me. You can rest assured I'll view it with good, sporting humor. But you'd better steel yourself, 'cause I'm gonna crack back.

[Edited 2005-05-17 00:16:23]

[Edited 2005-05-17 00:18:34]
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

gkirk

Tue May 17, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):

# GKirk bangs sheep

Thankfully now banned  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AeroWesty

Tue May 17, 2005 7:15 am

Oh, this is just so much bullshit!

Signed,
ANCFlyer
International Homo of Mystery

Sabena332

Tue May 17, 2005 7:16 am

GKirk bangs sheep

GKirk/sheep jokes are not longer allowed and will get deleted.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 7:19 am

-Edited to reflect that rule change on Gkirk. I was unaware.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

AeroWesty

Tue May 17, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 4):
GKirk/sheep jokes are not longer allowed and will get deleted

Oh thank Odin. They were so tiresome.

gkirk

Tue May 17, 2005 7:23 am

Feel free to crack on about the fact that I do wear kilts once in a while, or that I do eat haggis (thats the only way that you are to mention me in connection with sheep - in that I eat them)  Wink

DLKAPA

Tue May 17, 2005 7:23 am

I guess I shouldn't post that picture I took of Gkirk on the family farm yesterday...it's ok, because the pic would probably give you nightmares anyway.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

AeroWesty

Tue May 17, 2005 7:27 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):
the only way that you are to mention me in connection with sheep - in that I eat them

Why didn't someone post something in Site Related entitled "Silence of the Lambs" or something?  Smile

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
Why didn't someone post something in Site Related entitled "Silence of the Lambs" or something?

DLKAPA

Tue May 17, 2005 7:37 am

is that AA61hvy after a can of Pabst?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Sabena332

Tue May 17, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 11):

No, that's GKirk after two pints of Bud Light.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 17, 2005 7:45 am

Jcs17 is fat and eats constantly

Aa61hvy is a roided-out fratboy who can't hold his liquor

All women not hospitalized for anorexia are too fat for EmiratesA345

Airlinelover gets fired all the time

I'm a Beetle-driving, makeup-wearing lush

...you forgot rule #6:

USAirwys757 is always fair game  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

A346Dude

Tue May 17, 2005 7:52 am

Wow, is that the first time a rule has been made with only one member in mind?

It never got tiring for me, but I can understand how Gkirk might have become rather annoyed with it.

A346Dude
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

aa61hvy

Tue May 17, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 11):

No thats GKirk in a public bathroom...
Go big or go home

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 12:52 pm

So... he's actually drinking from the toilet?

NZ747

Tue May 17, 2005 1:53 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):
mention me in connection with sheep - in that I eat them

Do they return the favour?  Wink

pilotsmoe

Tue May 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
No, that's GKirk after two pints of Bud Light. Wink

What, he drinks piss now??  drunk   drunk 

CaptOveur

Tue May 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 17):
Do they return the favour?

I think we have a winner

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/matt45223/ROSEPHS016000.jpg

Anything that goes that far should have a stewardess on it.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KROC

Tue May 17, 2005 7:38 pm

7. The most important thing. If you swing it, be able to catch it, too. Nothing gets someone piled on more than being able to dish it out, but not take it. KROC gets accused of this a lot, but he'll even KO himself if the smack is strong enough. Which brings me to...

Let me add this to LHMark's excellent guide to A.net smack talking. Being ab le to take the smack and turn it around and or takethe smack and keep rolling with the punches is key. I get accused of "not being able to take it" because when someone starts cracking on me, I do not get all pissed off or bow down right away. I'll sling smack back or take the smack being used against me and turn it around. The minute I do this, I'm an asshole. Perfect example recently was Pope trying to engage in a "Your Mom" battle with me, and I would not bite. All of a sudden I "could not take it". Not so, if your gonna bring smack, bring something worthwhile. As LHMark said, I KO myself when someone gets me. Captoveur has KOed me, LHMark has KOed me, several others have and have all gotten there credit.

*How to handle getting smacked on*

All one has to do is look at EmiratesA345. In one thread several months back, he took the worst smackdown beating anyone ever received on A.net. From his saying any chick over 67 pounds is fat, to his job in the K-Mart Junior Misses Department he took a beating. Dude never cried, never got pissed, he never complained. He even will reference it on occasion to crack on himself. Dude might have unrealistic tastes in women, but he has all my respect.

AA61hvy - I got 20 bucks says Mark puts you down in a drinking contest.

Usairwys757

Tue May 17, 2005 8:35 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 20):

AA61hvy - I got 20 bucks says Mark puts you down in a drinking contest.

Its not nice to steal from people Mike.  Wink
Inactive.....

KROC

Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 21):
Its not nice to steal from people Mike.

It's also not nice to diss people when they come to your craphole for a beer and a ballgame too.  Wink

LHMark

Tue May 17, 2005 9:38 pm

Captain Sweatervest (Usairways757) doesn't actually GO to baseball games. He's afraid he'll be hit with an L.L. Beanball.

KROC

Tue May 17, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 23):
Captain Sweatervest (Usairways757) doesn't actually GO to baseball games. He's afraid he'll be hit with an L.L. Beanball.

Usairwys757 says NO MAS, NO MAS!

gkirk

Tue May 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
No, that's GKirk after two pints of Bud Light.

I probably would throw up after drinking that piss water!

Greyhound
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 12:36 am

5. Pics, pics, pics. ebaum's world has a bunch of forum-ready crackback images, as does eurowhiners, which focuses on more of the classic A.net member-generated images.

Forgive me for being rather new, at least at posting images. How exactly do I post one? I've dug up a few, and tried to follow a.net's "how to" section, but I got nothing but what I typed, no images.
29th, Let's Go!

LHMark

Wed May 18, 2005 1:01 am

The easiest way is the [img src=""] tag (replace the brackets with carrots (the greater than/less than signs) Find your image's online address (easy through google's image search, or right click then select "copy image location, and type [img src="image address"].

To post your own images, you need a server, like Photobucket. Create an account, then you can upload your images and copy the tags right from the host site.

Greyhound
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 1:22 am

29th, Let's Go!

Greyhound
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 1:23 am

Hot damn.... Thanks LHMark. I was beginning to wonder about myself.
29th, Let's Go!

KROC

Wed May 18, 2005 1:24 am

Mark is real good when it comes to "helping" out guys.

gkirk

Wed May 18, 2005 1:30 am

He's a bit like Michael Jackson, but unlike Wacko Jacko, he's not fussy about their age

KROC

Wed May 18, 2005 1:33 am

Hey GKirk, Mark is rather sensitive about getting cracked on for liking young boys and well men of all ages, so he is kindly asking you to cease all such comments.  Wink

gkirk

Wed May 18, 2005 1:41 am

Fair enough  Wink
Mention that to Aa61hvy also if he posts that pic with Mark and Jacko peering around a tree at a little girl  Wink

aa61hvy

Wed May 18, 2005 2:07 am

Ask and you shall recieve.

KROC- Lets put a bottle of Jack Daniels on the line for this bet.
Go big or go home

Kieron747

Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 am

I'm a Beetle-driving, makeup-wearing lush

LHMark: What is the origin of this one as I have seen it many times. Do you wear make-up, did you wear make-up, or is it a load of bull?

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Usairwys757

Wed May 18, 2005 5:00 am

You know how those Catholics are, Mark isnt any different. He's become one of them.

[Edited 2005-05-17 22:00:56]
Inactive.....

gkirk

Wed May 18, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 35):
LHMark: What is the origin of this one as I have seen it many times. Do you wear make-up, did you wear make-up, or is it a load of bull?

I believe it started because he's part of a tribute band to someone called The Cure/The Cult? and wears makeup when singing

LHMark

Wed May 18, 2005 5:08 am

I'm in a Cure tribute band. I have to be Robert Smith on stage. Although for the last few shows I said "sod it" and wento no without the clown paint.

A346Dude

Wed May 18, 2005 8:35 am

LHMARK, you're a Cure fan eh. What do you think of their song "Just Like Heaven"? I ask because I've been listening to it for 2 days straight - it's so catchy!

A346Dude
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

CaptOveur

Wed May 18, 2005 2:48 pm

I dunno.. I am betting LHMark is toting around a few pounds on AA61hvy.. and he probably practices just as much.

I think it will be a close fight but I am betting LHMark.

And yes EmiratesA345 does take it like a champ, or at least he did last night when I slipped him the puddin' pop

Signed
TheCoz

[Edited 2005-05-18 07:49:50]

KROC

Wed May 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 40):
And yes EmiratesA345 does take it like a champ, or at least he did last night when I slipped him the puddin' pop

Signed
TheCoz

Usairwys757

Wed May 18, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 40):
I think it will be a close figh

The only close fight there is gonna be is the race to the bathroom. Other than that, nothing.  Wink
Inactive.....

KROC

Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 pm

yeah, noice one Troyvis. Instead of posting TheCoz like crackbacks, why don't you go check this site out...

www.landsend.com

I hear they are having a killer sale on sweater vests.

Usairwys757

Wed May 18, 2005 9:01 pm

Yeah, you know me. Cant get enough of those sweater vests.  scratchchin 
Inactive.....

KROC

Wed May 18, 2005 9:24 pm

That or crappy New Jersey Nets Jerseys when you are in one of your 'Boyz In The Hood" phases...

CaptOveur

Thu May 19, 2005 3:15 am

Signed,
Usairwys757

KROC

Thu May 19, 2005 3:16 am

How did you photoshop in those chicks Captoveur? Usairwys757 won't let a chick within 20 feet of himself.

dl021

Thu May 19, 2005 4:34 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 25):
I probably would throw up after drinking that piss water!

Imagine how the pisswater felt!!!!  Wink

Did anyone yet mention the heretofore unstated fact that adding the  Wink emoticon takes away the seriousness of whatever insult you just hurled?

LHMark....great job on posting the unspoken rules for newbies......now they don't have to use their empathy or brains or anything to figure crap out, which as we all know makes it really difficult for Germans and Scots.  innocent  angel 
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LHMark

Thu May 19, 2005 3:36 pm

"Just Like Heaven is an incredible song. Simple, asthetically balanced, with an unabashed vulnerability. That said, Aa61hvy would have better luck against an Egyptian Camel than against me.;