captain777

At Last Women In Kuwait Get There Right To Vote!

Tue May 17, 2005 1:48 pm

Yesterday the 16th of May 2005 was a great and historic day in Kuwait, The Members of the Kuwaiti parliament voted for giving the Kuwaiti women there right to vote, granting them the only right they did not have to become equal to men in Kuwait. Now Women in Kuwait could vote and be candidates in the parliament of Kuwait ( The National Assembly) and they even have the right to become Ministers. At last the Kuwaiti women's long fight with the parliamentary system is over in with a great out come to women and to Kuwait in all. Now Kuwait is truly a democratic country were all its people are equal by law.Making it one of the first Arab countries to grant this blessing

And God Bless Kuwait and its people.

Captain777
the sky is the limit.............actually FL410 is the limit

qr332

RE: At Last Women In Kuwait Get There Right To Vote!

Tue May 17, 2005 4:38 pm

This is great! Nice to see they finally managed to beat the people trying to hold this back.

Congratulations to all Kuwaiti women!
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

ANCFlyer

Tue May 17, 2005 4:45 pm

Congratulations to the Kuwaiti women!  champagne 
 cool 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

qr332

Tue May 17, 2005 5:52 pm

Just a slight correction, Captain777:

Quoting Captain777 (Thread starter):
Making it one of the first Arab countries to grant this blessing

Women in Jordan can vote & can be MPs, same with Egypt & Lebanon. Qatar has several women in high positions in government, although I am not sure about the voting issue, and finally, I think the Emirates has also put several laws in place for equality of men and women. Lets just hope all Arab countries follow down this path.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

CcrlR

Wed May 18, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 3):
Women in Jordan can vote & can be MPs, same with Egypt & Lebanon. Qatar has several women in high positions in government, although I am not sure about the voting issue, and finally, I think the Emirates has also put several laws in place for equality of men and women. Lets just hope all Arab countries follow down this path.

Congrats to the Country of Kuwait and I didn't know that the other countries QR said allow women to do that. At least there is some equality in the middle east.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

rjpieces

Wed May 18, 2005 1:01 pm

"Kuwait is one of only two countries in the Middle East and North Africa that do not permit universal suffrage, even though its constitution grants equal rights to men and women. The country's parliament is elected by popular vote, but only about 15 percent of the country's 950,000 citizens are eligible to cast ballots."
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

qr332

Wed May 18, 2005 8:08 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 5):
"Kuwait is one of only two countries in the Middle East and North Africa that do not permit universal suffrage, even though its constitution grants equal rights to men and women. The country's parliament is elected by popular vote, but only about 15 percent of the country's 950,000 citizens are eligible to cast ballots."

Source?

rjpieces

Wed May 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 6):
Source?

Sorry, forgot to put it in. I don't believe this has been updated since this decision.
http://www.freedomhouse.org/research...rld/2003/countryratings/kuwait.htm
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

iakobos

Wed May 18, 2005 11:12 pm

Equality in the Middle East is subjective...sorry QR, at this stage women in Kuwait will be equal to a certain category of men...and you know that the parliament has no power, it is a thin layer of democratic paint on a family run business.

It reminds me that the leader of the local church (here) is the most equal among the equals (very official).  hypnotized 

Nonetheless, a very good step up the ladder for our Kuwaiti sisters.

Falcon84

Wed May 18, 2005 11:31 pm

Congrats not only to Kuwait's women, but to Kuwait itself, for taking a great step forward for not only them, but the entire Arab world.
Work Right, Fly Hard

qr332

Thu May 19, 2005 5:05 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 7):
Sorry, forgot to put it in. I don't believe this has been updated since this decision.

Freedom house... figures... Jordan is more free than Lebanon according to them...

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 8):
Equality in the Middle East is subjective...sorry QR, at this stage women in Kuwait will be equal to a certain category of men...and you know that the parliament has no power, it is a thin layer of democratic paint on a family run business.

I cannot really comment on this because I do not know how the system in Kuwait works, but AFAIK, the parliament of Kuwait is more than just a "thin layer of democratic paint".

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 9):
Congrats not only to Kuwait's women, but to Kuwait itself, for taking a great step forward for not only them, but the entire Arab world.

Kuwait is not the first Arab country to give equality to women, nor will it be the last.

iakobos

RE: At Last Women In Kuwait Get There Right To Vot

Thu May 19, 2005 8:18 am

A mini picture of Kuwait....

Amir H.H Al Sabah
PM H.E Al Sabah
First deputy H.E Al Sabah
Deputy PM H.E Al Sabah
Min Communications H.E Al Sabah
Min Foreign Affairs H.E Al Sabah
Min Electricity & Water H.E Al Sabah
Min Interior H.E Al Sabah
Min Social Affairs & Labor H.E Al Sabah
Min Transport & Plannin H.E Al Sabah
Min of State for Amir Diwan Affairs H.E Al Sabah (Diwan = coach/divan)
Governor Central Bank Mr Al Sabah
Ambassador to the US Mr Al Sabah

A pretty busy and big family if you ask me.

Notes:
the formation of political parties is illegal (tells you something abt the parliament).
10% of the population is elligible to vote (slightly more now with the women)

ps: the system works reasonably well by the way