bravo7e7

Exotic Names Don't Make The Grade!

Wed May 18, 2005 9:22 am

http://www.ktvu.com/education/4482169/detail.html
What could I possibly say without being called a racist? Wink

garnetpalmetto

RE: Exotic Names Don't Make The Grade!

Wed May 18, 2005 9:32 am

What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet;

Thus quoth the Bard. Maybe the living conditions of little Da'Quan has something to do with his poor test scores rather than his name? This is, without a doubt, the most idiotic thread I've ever seen on a.net. Of course the A.Net Klan will probably jump all over it.  Yeah sure
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

September11

Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 am

yeah, exotic names are now spreading all over!
Airliners.net of the Future

ShyFlyer

Wed May 18, 2005 9:53 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 1):
Maybe the living conditions of little Da'Quan has something to do with his poor test scores rather than his name?

Actually, the article states this:

Quote:
Figlio said boys and girls with exotic names suffer in terms of the quality of attention and instruction they get in the classroom because teachers expect less from children with names that sound like they were given by parents with lower education levels. He said the lower expectations often become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

While the name itself is not to blame, it is the way the child is treated because of the name. Teachers, it would seem, shoulder some of the blame.
I lift things up and put them down.

garnetpalmetto

Wed May 18, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 3):
While the name itself is not to blame, it is the way the child is treated because of the name. Teachers, it would seem, shoulder some of the blame.

Indeed - yet another variable that this bogus study can't really account for.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

jetjack74

Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 am

I remember meeting a girl named Latrina Brown. I can't imagine what her parents were thinking, or at least someone at the hospital should've said something.

[Edited 2005-05-18 03:17:47]
Made from jets!

bravo7e7

Wed May 18, 2005 10:04 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 4):

Indeed - yet another variable that this bogus study can't really account for.

Look, no where in here does it it say minorities are stupid. That point is one of the exact reasons that this is possibble. It does not blame the actual kids, but just making a statement about their conditions.

CaptOveur

Wed May 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Here is my observation. This isn't meant to be racist but will probably sound racist to the PC crowd.

The black kids with the funky names tend to have something you could probably describe as excessive pride in their race (nothing wrong with pride in what you are, but it has limits). They have been trained by their parents and many of their peers to carry a massive chip on their shoulder over what happened to their race over 150 years ago. This usually leads to an entitlement mentality which results in not working as hard as they should because they want the world handed to them.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

DLKAPA

Wed May 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 7):

I've actually met alot of people like that, some can be quite arrogant and annoying. When I tell them my feelings, I'm all of a sudden a racist in their eyes...riiiiiight.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

mdsh00

Wed May 18, 2005 5:34 pm

I kinda have to agree with some of the points in this article. This kind of profiling happens in the workplace many times. For example, when a boss sees the resume of two black women, one named Christine and one named Shaniqua, he would probably be more inclined to interview the former. I'm not saying it's fair, but unfortunately it's true.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

jasepl

Wed May 18, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 1):
This is, without a doubt, the most idiotic thread I've ever seen on a.net.

Look who started it ! We can't expect any less, can we ?

flybyguy

Thu May 19, 2005 12:11 am

What the heck is a Da'Quan?

Maybe the brother of this guy...

Seriously though I guess socio-economic standing is far more important factor to African American children's neglect than a name. All a racist teacher has to do is look at the kid to have lower expectations.

The article tries to be logical, but is severely flawed in it's arguement, therefore, it can take its place upon the copious pile of internet rubbish.

The article takes steriotypes and accentuates them with learned jargon. "Asian sounding names" = good grades... give me a break. It is very tempting to say that Asians in general have IQs above 140, but we must remember that those that we see here in the States becoming neuro-surgeons and engineering professors are only a "handfull" of billion or so they left behind in the Orient. I'm sure if any other race had 1 Billion + people that they would have their share of geniuses.

P.S. Does anyone know what the article means by Asian sounding names?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

sacflyer

Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 11):
Does anyone know what the article means by Asian sounding names?

Are you looking to change your kid's name?

Is anyone surprised that this study came out of Florida?
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

komododx

Thu May 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting Sacflyer (Reply 12):
Is anyone surprised that this study came out of Florida?

No. Why should we be?

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed