UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

The Official A.net Star Wars III Thread

Wed May 18, 2005 2:40 pm

So the countdown is on.
Any other hardcore fans that shall (...) be seeing it at midnight tonight ?
and will (me) you be dressing up for the occasion ? (just where did I put that lightsaber, rhaa)

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

DLKAPA

RE: The Official A.net Star Wars III Thread

Wed May 18, 2005 3:02 pm

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

707CMF

Wed May 18, 2005 4:24 pm

Were I a hardcore fan, I could have seen it already...

As it is released one day earlier in France than elsewhere  Silly .

However, I prefered spending time with someone special than go dress myself like a dork and queue in the freezing night.

Well, this morning I am quite tired, but at least for a nicer reason  Wink .

Will prolly see it in two weeks with some friends. Dressed as a 707cmf

Cheers,

JGPH1A

Wed May 18, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 2):
As it is released one day earlier in France than elsewhere .

But not in bloody VO !! I refuse point blank to see American movies dubbed into French. No sign of a VO release anywhere near here, yet.  grumpy 

P.S. They had Attack Of The Clones on M6 on Monday night, WTF is going on in that movie ?

- Who ordered the Clone Army ? Are they good, bad, indifferent ?
- Who was Boba Fett's Dad working for ?
- Who the f*ck is Count Dookoo ? Is he good, bad, indifferent ?
- What were the "insect people" doing ? Whose side were they on ?
- If Brian (tee hee, Monty Python), the son of the guy who married Anakin's mum, is Anakin's half-brother, how long ago did his Dad meet his Mum ? The guy looks older than Anakin !

Help help - I have hurty-brain syndrome, and require explanations in words of one syllable.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Thom@s

Wed May 18, 2005 9:36 pm

I'll try, but I'm gonna end up getting bashed by some hardcore fan anyway...

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):

They were ordered by the Jedi Sifo Dias(?) to aid the republic, but without the permission of the jedu council. They are good at first, but as you can guess from episodes 4,5, and 6, they end up fighting for the dark side.

Boba Fett is the kid in Episode II right? In that case, he was working for count Dokuu. (That's why you see the two in the colloseum towards the end.)

No idea of his background, but he appears to be a baddie.

Aiding Dokuu is my guess. On the baddie side.

- If Brian (tee hee, Monty Python), the son of the guy who married Anakin's mum, is Anakin's half-brother, how long ago did his Dad meet his Mum ? The guy looks older than Anakin !

Not quite sure about this, but perhaps Jedi age slower. (Which is why Yoda is some 700 years in episode 6)

Only guesses from my part...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Mir

Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 pm

I'll be seeing it tomorrow in Prague (opening day yayness).

I do consider myself a semi-nerd when it comes to Star Wars.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MYT332

Wed May 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 4):
If Brian (tee hee, Monty Python), the son of the guy who married Anakin's mum, is Anakin's half-brother, how long ago did his Dad meet his Mum ? The guy looks older than Anakin !

Good god, I still can't get my head around that one. Help!
One Life, Live it.

JGPH1A

Wed May 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 6):
Good god, I still can't get my head around that one. Help!

Alex, it seems that in your case, hurty-brain syndrome is a permanent condition  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

707CMF

Wed May 18, 2005 10:51 pm

But not in bloody VO !! I refuse point blank to see American movies dubbed into French. No sign of a VO release anywhere near here, yet. grumpy

Problem of living in France, you have to be in Paris to see it in VO...

Lol, took me some time to understand why you called him Brian !!!  Silly
Owen, (his real name) is Lars son ,but not Beru's as I have understood. When Lars and Beru married, or started to live together, they both had children from previous unions... So Owen is not really Anakin's brother. Merely his mother's stepson.

Cheers,

KLMA330

Wed May 18, 2005 10:53 pm

I bought my tickets on line last week to go see it this Saturday, and was genuinely excited, but at this point, I'm FED UP.. too much hype can even ruin a good thing..  Sad

VS74741R

Wed May 18, 2005 11:09 pm

All ready seen it people  cool 

It's pretty cool, you should go and see it before everyone else tells you what happens lol
Obviously a Virgin Atlantic fan!!!

garnetpalmetto

Wed May 18, 2005 11:44 pm

To touch up the points Thom@s missed out on

Count Dooku is a former Jedi who voluntarily left the Order, one of only 20 to ever do so. He was once Yoda's Padawan learner and, in turn, Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson in Epi 1) was his apprentice. Dooku left the Order around the time of the events of Episode 1 for as yet unknown reasons but would later become seduced by Darth Sidious to become the Sith apprentice after the death of Darth Maul in Episode 1. Taking the name Darth Tyrannus, Dooku helped stage the Clone War by forming the separatist Confederacy of Independent Systems who sought to secede from the Republic. So, in sum, former good guy turned bad.

The "insect people," or the Geonosians, are on the side of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, as their planet is the home of the factories and forges where the droid armies used by the Confederacy's members are located (the battle droids from Episode I were all constructed here, for instance). Consider them the counterpoint to the Kaminoans (the residents of the water planet Obi-Wan visits in Episode II), who are providing the clones for the Grand Army of the Republic.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

alphafloor

Thu May 19, 2005 12:03 am

I'm gonna see it tonight ! Can't wait for it !!

Alphafloor
Whatever

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 12:06 am

Merci, Garnet - clarity dawns !

Falcon84

Thu May 19, 2005 12:09 am

I'll be taking my wife and my two oldest kids to see it Saturday or Sunday afternoon. The little guy will have to go over to his cousin's house, as I think he's still to young to watch it before we've screened it.

I'm looking forward to the completion of this story, 30 years in the making, to be honest. I've watched the original 3 movies in the last 2 weeks, just to get in the mood again.  Smile

I still wish, 2 years ago, I had turned my idea into LucasFilm for a trailer....
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
as I think he's still to young to watch it before we've screened it.

Should be OK. No naked boobs in Star Wars, and the only character who swears is R2D2, but they bleep over it.

KROC

Thu May 19, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
Should be OK. No naked boobs in Star Wars, and the only character who swears is R2D2, but they bleep over it.

Maybe so, but there is allot of violence and killing in this one allegedly, so that might mean younger viewers might have to wait to see this one.

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 16):
Maybe so

Hellooo ! I was joking. R2D2....bleep over it ? Ring a bell ? No ? Oh, well, I'll get me coat.

cornish

Thu May 19, 2005 12:20 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 17):
Hellooo ! I was joking. R2D2....bleep over it ? Ring a bell ? No ? Oh, well, I'll get me coat.

It was an extremely poor gag JGP - even by a.net standards Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MYT332

Thu May 19, 2005 12:22 am

Oh, well, I'll get me coat.

Quite frankly both you and KROC should. You've both let yourselves down here. One with mambly pambly American sissyness and you with bad ass jokes.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

Falcon84

Thu May 19, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 16):
ybe so, but there is allot of violence and killing in this one allegedly, so that might mean younger viewers might have to wait to see this one.

I told my kids after "Attack of The Clones", that they better not expect a lot of the deadpan humor, and funny lines that they've come to expect in Episodes I, II, IV, V and VI. This one would be, easily the darkest of the 6 movies, as it's the one where the young boy with the promise of the Universe, becomes the ultimate evil of the Universe.

Can't wait to see it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

garnetpalmetto

Thu May 19, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Merci, Garnet - clarity dawns !

No problemo. One other nit to fix

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 8):
Owen, (his real name) is Lars son ,but not Beru's as I have understood. When Lars and Beru married, or started to live together, they both had children from previous unions... So Owen is not really Anakin's brother. Merely his mother's stepson.

Beru is Owen's girlfriend (and Luke's future aunt), not Lars's wife/Anakin's mother (that would be Shmi). So yes, Anakin and Owen are step-brothers rather than being blood brothers, making Owen and Beru Luke's step uncle/aunt.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ACAfan

Thu May 19, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):

It was an extremely poor gag JGP - even by a.net standards Big grin

Two thirds of a pun: P.U.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

airlinelover

Thu May 19, 2005 12:49 am

I'm getting off work early tonight to see it.. One of my friends picked up my ticket, and a bunch of us are going to the midnite show..

Not as cool as Star Trek, but close..

May the force be with you..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 12:54 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):
It was an extremely poor gag JGP - even by a.net standards

I thought it was very funny. I officially hate you all.

:P

MYT332

Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
I officially hate you all.

Do you hate the world also? Is everyone against you? Haha.
One Life, Live it.

theCoz

Thu May 19, 2005 1:18 am

I'm going to go see it. I hope Spock gets stuck in the warp core and explodes. The only way it will be a good movie is if I see a Klingon eat a Cardassian. That would be entertaining to see.

mdsh00

Thu May 19, 2005 2:11 am

Sifo Dyas, a Jedi. But my guess is that Palpatine was behind it, since he took the chancellorship at the same time the order made. What better way to declare yourself an emperor than through a phony war? (sound familiar?  stirthepot  )

Being a bounty hunter (and a badass to boot) the monetary and physical compensation (Boba Fett) was enough to make Jango work for Tyrannus(Dooku).

Good Jedi turned bad, and Darth Sidious' latest apprentice till the big-bad Vader comes along.

I think more than anything, they were just being used as pawns in Palpatine's games. Since the battle driods were produced there and they had been turned to "rebel" against the Republic, it was a justifiable threat for Palpatine to start the Clone Wars.

I think 707 summed it up, Brian is a son from a previous marriage and even says to Anakin that they are step-brothers.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

VS74741R

Thu May 19, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
I told my kids after "Attack of The Clones", that they better not expect a lot of the deadpan humor, and funny lines that they've come to expect in Episodes I, II, IV, V and VI. This one would be, easily the darkest of the 6 movies, as it's the one where the young boy with the promise of the Universe, becomes the ultimate evil of the Universe.

I can confirm that there are quite a few funny bits in Episode III.
Obviously a Virgin Atlantic fan!!!

EA CO AS

Thu May 19, 2005 4:04 am

I'm debating - the midnight shows here are already long since sold-out, but there's a 3:15am showing available on the biggest screen in the state.

Of course, the prospect of getting out at 5:45am and having to be at work by 8:30am REALLY sucks....maybe I'll wait...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sacflyer

Thu May 19, 2005 6:26 am

I've got my ticket for the first showing in the morning, 9:10am. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight so I couldn't go to any of the after midnight shows. I'm just hoping to have a good time.
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

alphafloor

Thu May 19, 2005 6:39 am

Well I'm just returning from the theater and... wow ! The best episode of the second trilogy by far, an excellent bond between the two trilogies (athought there is still some little inaccuracies, but not very disturbing) , the darkest one with lots of LS action ! I'm going to watch it again for sure ! The fall of Anakin in the dark side and the consequences of it are very sad and could be disturbing for little childrens.

Alphafloor
Whatever

Newark777

Thu May 19, 2005 9:38 am

A friend of mine decided to buy a bunch of tickets, so I am scheduled to go to the 12:01 show. I just hope this doesn't suck. I know school in the morning will.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

LHB727230Adv

Thu May 19, 2005 10:14 am

I'm gonna see it tonight (Malaysia opening night) at 9:00 PM Local time. Can't wait.

Cheers,
Alex  bigthumbsup 

TheRedBaron

Thu May 19, 2005 10:28 am

To sum it up:

Owen midiclorian count...Nothing, nada
Anakin Midiclorian count ---Off the scale!!!...

so they are stepbrothers....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

theCoz

Thu May 19, 2005 10:45 am

I'm gonna go tonight wearing this...

EA CO AS

Thu May 19, 2005 10:52 am

I'm gonna go tonight wearing this...

Man, Urkel's gonna be pissed that you stole his uniform!  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

melpax

Thu May 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 31):
Well I'm just returning from the theater and... wow ! The best episode of the second trilogy by far, an excellent bond between the two trilogies (athought there is still some little inaccuracies, but not very disturbing) , the darkest one with lots of LS action ! I'm going to watch it again for sure ! The fall of Anakin in the dark side and the consequences of it are very sad and could be disturbing for little childrens.

Gotta agree, best one yet! - Saw it last night (Midnight screenings here in Melbourne) The local Star Wars socitey was in attendance (lots of stormtroopers, jedis & the best Darth Vader costume I've seen!) This is one to see again.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Continental

Thu May 19, 2005 5:10 pm

What a sweet movie! Just got back from the midnight show, and I was impressed. I liked how everything tied together, and the way it ended. I have to agree, that shiny new Darth Vader suit was pretty nice. I'll probably end up seeing it again.

Venezuela747

Thu May 19, 2005 6:07 pm

Well I just came out of it here in Colorado from the midnight showing. It was really good, the only things I would change was the sound was too loud, to much/repetitiv fighting specially between Anakin and Obi, and then a bunch of little scenes at the end. The scenes at then end kind of helped tied everything together but they took a little off the excitement of the movie, I would have been fine if it had ended with Darth standing up. My favorite scene of the movie had to be when the Jedi council tries to arrest Darth Sidius/ Palanate and then, and then Anakin jumps in and Samuel L Jackson gets f'd up. And of course any scene with Yoda, like when the trie to kill him.

Overall really good movie
ROLL TIDE!!!

alphafloor

Thu May 19, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 39):
And of course any scene with Yoda

Yeah and ILM has done an astonishing job with Yoda. I mean in the Phantom menace Yoda is just rididulous, on the Clone Attack he was very well done but not sastisfying in my opinion but on episode III... man ! Now he seems real. Even on the closeups of his face !! Very good !

Alphafloor
Whatever

slider

Thu May 19, 2005 10:51 pm

Well, I went to the midnight show and opener of Episode III!

The local cinema was showing it on 6 screens in their largest theaters, and it was as packed and busy teeming with people at 2330h as it would have been seemingly as a Saturday afternoon.

Of course, there were a lot of SW nutballs dressed up, ranging from really bad costumes to really amazing ones. While there was some degree of "dorkitude" certainly present, for the most part, I was surprised at how "normal" the place was. Major demographic curve- from small kids, which surprised me, to a lot of high schoolers, to 30-somethings like me who (gasp) actually were alive and saw the originals in the theaters as kids ourselves. This would mark the 6th and final opening day viewing for me too, and going into this movie, I had read a ton of spoilers, read reviews, but was trying to temper my enthusiasm as well as expectations.

I was never keen on Episodes I and II, and really feared this would also suffer from the same shortfalls in terms of forced dialogue, questionable acting performances, etc, but Episode III improved on all that on an overall basis. I intentionally didn't get caught up with being critical of it as I watched it; I just wanted to let go and lose myself in the experience. The hell with over-analyzing it, just enjoy it.

In that regard, Revenge of the Sith is totally amazing. Visually, I don't think I've seen a better movie of that genre, and can't wait to see it digitally. The sound was tremendous. The pacing was pretty good for the most part.

I had read reviews that said Anakin's conversion to the dark side was too abrupt, but I really didn't think so. Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine is absolutely a steller bad guy. He really nailed a great performance. Yoda is a major central character in this one and you'd swear he was real; just a dynamic performance from a digital creation. The Wookie scenes were too short, but it was great to see Chewbacca. R2-D2 absolutely rocks in this one--has a LOT of screen time and you see him do things he hasn't done before. It is substantially darker than the previous ones, and darker then Empire Strikes Back. It isn't so much graphic violence (although there is that too), but implied especially with the slaughter of the Jedi younglings. Wow.

Contrary to some of the reviews, I think Lucas tied up all the loose ends very well....it's spooky how much it correlates to the original SW Episode 4. I mean, uncanny. To see it all transpire is really something, and the final act rolls out tremendously well.

Beyond the movie itself, the most amazing thing to me was just the entire Star Wars culture. Whatever your thoughts on SW, there is the fact that it is a complete American cultural reference point. The mythological themes and arcs throughout the saga are timeless, and its impact on pop culture in general is staggering. Last night I savored every moment of it, because I realized wistfully that that was the last SW movie I'll see new in the theater. it was a wonderful ride that's run for most of my life thus far.

Ironically, I still have a lot of my old SW toys, and now my boys are that same age of Star Wars consciousness as I was...it's a cross-generational thing and truly a global reference.

garnetpalmetto

Thu May 19, 2005 11:19 pm

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 40):
I mean in the Phantom menace Yoda is just rididulous

In The Phantom Menace, they were still using a puppet for Yodam as they did during The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...this may be why you think he looks ridiculous

alphafloor

Fri May 20, 2005 4:52 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 42):
Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 40):
I mean in the Phantom menace Yoda is just rididulous

In The Phantom Menace, they were still using a puppet for Yodam as they did during The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...this may be why you think he looks ridiculous

Yep you're right. I knew it was a puppet... but the puppet is not good at all, that's what I mean.
Whatever

whitehatter

Fri May 20, 2005 5:03 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4563631.stm

Get your Bittorrent client fired up....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

sacflyer

Sat May 21, 2005 3:18 am

Is the spoiler grace period over yet?

Can we start talking about the movie yet?

I have a few questions about Episode III if anyone wants to field them.

I'll start with the simple one that is not really a spoiler. There is one quick scene in the movie of the Death Star being built. In Episode IV wasn't the Death Star just becoming fully operational, so my question is, are we supposed to believe that it takes over 15 years at least to finish the Death Star?

slider

Sat May 21, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting Sacflyer (Reply 45):
I have a few questions about Episode III if anyone wants to field them.

I'll start with the simple one that is not really a spoiler. There is one quick scene in the movie of the Death Star being built. In Episode IV wasn't the Death Star just becoming fully operational, so my question is, are we supposed to believe that it takes over 15 years at least to finish the Death Star?

I thought that was curious too...but not for the timeframe of construction issue, but because you'd have to assume that they started building it before the Republic was eliminated....interesting huh? Not like Palpatine could have just hidden it or anything...

There was also bitching about the notion that it took that long to build the first one, but hardly any time at all (between SW and Jedi) to rebuild it. The logic (if you want to call it that) is that the plans were already in place, and it was just easier to rebuild I guess. Dunno.

Upon further review of this movie, I just can't believe how bad Lucas is with directing a picture, directing actors, etc. He claims that post-production is his favorite part, yet he constructed a movie so ill-paced and frenzied that there was no gravitas, no character development, no buy-in to the tragedy that is taking place before you....

Disappointing.

sacflyer

Sat May 21, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 46):
he constructed a movie so ill-paced and frenzied that there was no gravitas, no character development, no buy-in to the tragedy that is taking place before you....

I will agree with that on the first half of the movie. It was way too busy and random for me. I looked at my watch and it was over and hour and ten minutes into the movie and I was thinking, "Okay, when does the story start?"
But, once the second half got going, everything became much more clearer, deliberate, and entertaining.

slider

Sat May 21, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting Sacflyer (Reply 47):
But, once the second half got going, everything became much more clearer, deliberate, and entertaining.

I'll agree....the mid/second act was weak, then it rolled hard.

Some issues I had with it:

* The Jedi Temple massacre...weak. In the original movies, we're told that Vader hunted down and killed the Jedi, yet he didn't other than the Younglings.

* The rest of the Jedi dropped far too quickly and easily. Especially when they went to arrest Palpatine. Two dead in 5 secs? Please.

* The score was unusually weak, and quiet. When Anakin went into the temple, that would have been the perfect time to cue the Imperial March.

* Padme was essentially a prop. So this strong woman through 2 movies is suddenly reduced to being a victim? And then dies during childbirth because she's "lost the will to live?" WTF!

* Speaking of Padme, that hokey line "hold me like you did on Naboo" made about half the audience bust out laughing and the other half cringe.

* The duels weren't nearly as good as I had expected, especially the Dooku battle (too short, far too uninspired), and the finale with ObiWan and Anakin. The action was edited too choppily, shots too close-in, not to mention the dancing around lava thing that would have burned them up anyhow...I was hoping for something like the Darth Maul/ Qui-Gon/ObiWan duel from Phantom Menace.

* Vader's Frankenstein imitation at the end along with the god-awful "NOOOOOOOO!" Give me a break!

* Grievous was hardly the badass he was supposed to be. And that battle was lousy too...

* What was with the Qui-Gon reference at the end without having the scene?

* Far too many intercuts and screen wipes between scenes. Felt like I had epilepsy or something...

Lucas should have made this a 3 hour epic, and paced it better. That alone would have done miracles for it overall.

SATL382G

Sat May 21, 2005 5:46 am

Anyone else catch the Falcon pulling into the senate docking bay? Rather small and I'd would've missed it if I were looking elsewhere on the screen.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill