Falcon84
Topic Author

Grenade Thrown At Bush Was Not A Dummy

Wed May 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Scary to think what would have happened if this baby had gone off.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/18/bush.georgia/index.html

Glad that it didn't, and that the president and no one else had to go through that hell.
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

RE: Grenade Thrown At Bush Was Not A Dummy

Thu May 19, 2005 12:05 am

...but he still is.

Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANCFlyer

Thu May 19, 2005 12:11 am

Agreed. Wonder who on his Secret Service detail will be fired? Wonder if there will be any repercussion in the Georgian gov't against their own security forces?

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Glad that it didn't, and that the president and no one else had to go through that hell.

Absolutely. The standard US Army M68 Fragmentation Hand Grenade is known to throw some parts and pieces a great distance occasionally. While working on a grenade range for recruits in the mid-1980s, I small particle form a grenade somehow managed to find itself flying out of the range fan, beyond the berms and barely penetrate my left arm just below the elbow. The piece was very small - perhaps 1/4 inch square - but it sure burned and definitely got my attention. I can't imagine having one explode while I was inside the killing radius.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

DIJKKIJK

Thu May 19, 2005 12:39 am

maybe the genius who threw it didn't know that he had to remove the pin....
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Twistedwhisper

Thu May 19, 2005 1:23 am

I thought this was a RPG-5, a Rocket Propelled Grenade model 5. RPG:s are usually launched with a rocket launcher of some kind, not tossed...

Lucky it didn't go of, specially in the crowd, that would have been a lot of innocent dead civilians... And probably not a scratch to the POTUS or Gregorian president, as they were standing behind bullet proof glass...
Read between the lines.

Delta767300ER

Thu May 19, 2005 4:17 am

Where can I pick a few of these grenades at?

-Delta767300ER

pilotsmoe

Thu May 19, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 5):
Where can I pick a few of these grenades at?

Ohhh.. YOu're going to gitmo. The CIA is now enroute to your house  Wow!  bouncy 

srbmod

Thu May 19, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 6):

Ohhh.. YOu're going to gitmo. The CIA is now enroute to your house Wow! bouncy

dl021

Thu May 19, 2005 4:56 am

WIth a kill radius of 5 meters and an effective wound radius of around 30m the US M-33/67 hand grenade and is different evidently than the one thrown there.

Which is an old Soviet made hand grenade with an effective wound/casualty radius of 15-20 meters, with a sheet metal casing and a pull ring type fuze.

These things were known to be of questionable quality, but were cheap and easily made.

If it had gone off at the distance they say it was to the President he probably would not have been seriously hurt, but thats not the point. Evidently this thing hit a little girl, and would have killed her had it exploded. Which once again brings to the forefront the question of exactly what kind of monsters are we fighting that will murder a little girl in cold blood? Not collateral damage, or an accidental byproduct, but the thing hit the girl before it hit the ground. What kind of crap is that?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MD11Engineer

Thu May 19, 2005 5:12 am

Ian,

Where did you get the info about the grenade type used? I recon it could also have been an old Russian F-1 pineapple.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

sacflyer

Thu May 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Shouldn't the topic have been:

Dummy who had grenade thrown at him was Bush.
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

dl021

Fri May 20, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):

Where did you get the info about the grenade type used? I recon it could also have been an old Russian F-1 pineapple.

Jan,
It was identified in a news story and I looked further and found three separate news sources including Reuters, and USA Today. I also read about it on a Georgian news website.

I think that we are at the point that the old pineapples are less than effective due to age related deterioration. That's not to say that they aren't dangerous, but they are so old they are getting rare. Even this RGD is out of issue.

Ian

wunala

Fri May 20, 2005 12:47 am

I was going to add to this thread, but after I read the other replies, I was over it, and wonder if there is hope left.

MD11Engineer

Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 am

Ian,

AFAIK, the F-1 grenades are still being manufactured (as well as the RGD 5) in e.g. Yugoslavia.

The old RG-42 grenades are certainly out of production, but might be still found with 3rd world countries.

BTW AFAIK, the RGD-5 doesn´t just have the sheet metal casing, but it also contains a prenotched beehive like fragment coil made of steel wire.

See:
http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rgd5/index.html

Depending on the storage conditions, they might still be reliable after many years.

Jan

dl021

Fri May 20, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):
AFAIK, the F-1 grenades are still being manufactured (as well as the RGD 5) in e.g. Yugoslavia.

Jan,
My information as of 1993 was that the F-1 grenades were out of production in Yugoslavia, but at that point the RGD-5s were still. I don't think that the RGD-5 is still in production even in Serbia-Monte. They are still in the contingency stocks for most of the eastern European militaries.

When we took one apart (to use it for a class) it had a sheet metal casing, and once we removed the fuze we sawed it open and found the explosive casing was made of the wrapped metal coil with what I now know for sure were fragmentation notches, that we assumed was designed to provide the shrapnel upon explosion.

I looked at your website and noted that while the fuze assemblies look like they have similar spoons and probably use the same det cap, but the F-1 looks shorter...I wonder if thats an optical illusion or if the RGD-5 uses a larger cap. Do you know? I'm now curious.

Ian

MD11Engineer

Fri May 20, 2005 1:26 am

AFAIK, it is a basic fuze assembly designed in Russia during WW2 and later copied in several other countries, with small differences. Concerning the sizes of the RGD and the F-1, I wouldn´t know, since I´ve only seen them in pictures so far. I´m actually looking for two inert, demilled F-1s or RG-42s to fill the grenade pouches of my WW2 Soviet infantryman uniform. from my collection, but the few I´ve seen on Ebay (postwar ones) were extremely expensive.

Jan

dl021

Fri May 20, 2005 10:29 am

All you have to do is go to a flea market in Bosnia. Unless they have banned demilled souvenirs they should be available aplenty. Go for a side trip on your next vacation to the Dalmatian coast.

I actually have an F-1 replica (I think it was a training aid), but I am certain I would have difficulty shipping it to you, so I won't bother looking for one here.

A good story you will appreciate......I took a grenade simulator and set it off in my backyard as a demonstration for a friend...my younger brother was quite distressed and expressed his opinion of the activities in no uncertain terms.

So, naturlich, I took an artillery simulator (like a grenade sim only three times as big) and threw it up the storm drain pipe on the side of the house, it of course made an incredibly loud and reverberating report that shook the entire house and upset the neighbors dog and china and my younger brother who was sleeping at the time. There were no more complaints from the peanut gallery after that.

MD11Engineer

Fri May 20, 2005 7:43 pm

Hehe, reminds me of my chemistry teacher in high school, a big, beasrded Frankonian.
Within the neighbourthood I grew up in was a US Army urban combat training facility. Some of my school mates would climb over the fence (strictly forbidden and there were often guards around) and look for training ammo and grenades, left there by the GIs. Once one of my classmates brought a blue training grenade to school to show off. A teacher noticed it and the thing got confiscated, ending up in the teacher´s room. Now after last lesson this day my chemistry teacher entered the teacher´s room to find this egg lying on the table. Since he did his basic training in the Bundeswehr years before, he felt competent to dispose of it. There was nobody else around, except for a female English language teacher, the more poetic kind, who was correcting paperwork.
So this chemistry teacher opened a window and pulled the pin with the intention of lobbing it out into the empty school yard. Only thing was, he forgot to keep hold of the spoon...
The ting exploded still within the teacher´s office, barely away from his hand, leaving him standing in a cloud of white chalk dust...  eyepopping  and the female teacher screaming her head off.... Big grin!
He stood there for a while, counting his fingers, to make sure they were still all around...

But no matter, this guy liked explosions and set off quite a few himself during chemistry class.... always good fun...

Jan

dl021

Fri May 20, 2005 10:59 pm

Tell me you didn't grow up near Doughboy City!!

Thats a good story! I'll bet he never forgot basic safety again. Sounds like he was trying to impress the english teacher.....I've gotten in trouble doing that as well.  Wink

MD11Engineer

Sat May 21, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
Tell me you didn't grow up near Doughboy City!!

Have you ever been there?! You know the name!

I grew up in Kadettenweg in Berlin-Lichterfelde, the street running straight to the main gate of Andrews Barracks in Finckensteinallee! (At the other end of Kadettenweg was the American military railway station)
Once in the late 80s, there was a big exercise in Doughboy City with the bangs noticable all over Lichterfelde and a huge cloud of smoke hanging over the place. I just got on my bicycle and pedalled there (about 2 kilometers as the bird flies). There were GIs dressed up in funny uniforms with blue pants and the old M-1 helmets, using Russian equipment (at least I saw one guy carrying an RPG-7). Their trucks had red circles painted on the cabs, roughly resembling the shape of the Soviet Army sign.
Did you notice that while Doughboy City was built right next to the East German border, there was no wall in this place, just a chain link fence with plenty of guard towers? Everytime you guys had an exercise, the towers would be full with East German and Soviet officers snapping away with their cameras... Big grin

Jan

dl021

Sun May 22, 2005 11:29 pm

As long as you are talking about Parks Range in Berlin, then yes. We actually collected some M1 ammo casings there. We also blew up the tracks at the U-Bahn station. Had to help put them back together too.

We mooned the Soviet observers who had been pointed out by the OCs. A couple of guys from F.co Tankers told us that getting caught would be bad, but everyone did it anyway.

Pe@rson

Sun May 22, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Grenade Thrown At Bush Was Not A Dummy

Thank God for that.  Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MD11Engineer

Sun May 22, 2005 11:37 pm

Parks Range was down in Wannsee, right beside the Allied and the civilian golf courses (and the nuclear research facility with the research reactor).

Jan

ANCFlyer

Sun May 22, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 20):
A couple of guys from F.co Tankers told us that getting caught would be bad, but everyone did it anyway.

Man, that's the truth . . .

I remember border patrol with 11th ACR there - and we'd get right to the border of course and naturally the East German/Russian border guards are watching from the towers . . . they'd do all kinds of crap to provoke a response from us . . . and they had a great system. One guy in one tower would be raising hell with US border troops, and another guy, in a different tower would film it. IF there was a response from the US troops you'd eventually hear all about it . . .

Our communist friends would send the film up their food chain, and it would make it's way through all the diplomats and eventually roll back down hill to us on the border . . . usually, there was a simple ass chewing awaiting the US offender. Occasionally there was something in writing explaining that descretion is the better part of valor when it came to our "international relations with the Soviets". I have, for the record, two such written documents signed by the Regimental Commander.  bigthumbsup 

Those Soviet troops had no sense of humor.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 12:23 am

Our Civila Defense (THW) company (1 company group, 2 rescue platoons, one infrastructure platoon and one bridging section) had the only pontoon ferry / bridge outside the Allied military in Berlin.
We had to go on regular exercises to keep our boat drivers current. This was usually done during a long weekend execise on the river Havel. A rescue platoon would help the bridging section to assemble the ferry at the police water training area close to Spandau fortress on a friday and then we had nothing to do until disassembly on sunday afternoon. We would load a huge barbeque grill (commercial pattern) with our crane into one of the pontoons, together with a good load of beer kegs, salads, meats and sausages and then do a cruise down the river, until we reached the line of white buoys at Glienicker Bridge, where East Germany started. There we would drop anchor and have a barbeque, with the East German/ Russian border troops coming up with a speed boat on their side of the buoys and they would take pictures of us. We would offer them food and beer, which they refused and we would generally takke the mickey off them.

Jan

CORULEZ05

Mon May 23, 2005 12:46 am

I will say that even though I don't like Bush, I am happy this thing didn't go off because well for one, I wouldn't wish death on anyone and secondly, Cheney would become president and that is a BIG NO NO...even worse than Bush being president.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

pilotsmoe

Mon May 23, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 25):
I will say that even though I don't like Bush, I am happy this thing didn't go off because well for one, I wouldn't wish death on anyone and secondly, Cheney would become president and that is a BIG NO NO...even worse than Bush being president.

not to mention we probably would of found ourself in another war  Yeah sure

L-188

Mon May 23, 2005 3:59 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 23):
have, for the record, two such written documents signed by the Regimental Commander.

You know at some point those are going to be worth some money on E-bay Big grin

The wall was down for about two years before I got over there.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 4:49 am

I thought that section was called Lichterfelde or something. My geography of the area is not terrific as I was not stationed there, only on TDY.

Smaj...we were cammied up and our faces were unrecognizable as far as we knew, and we never heard anything about it. I held a special bit of detestation for the Vopos and the Soviets, as I had seen the memorial markers along the wall where people fell trying to get over to the West.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 5:17 am

Ian,

Doughboy City, Andrews Barracks, McNair Barracks and Roosevelt Barracks were in Lichterfelde.
The Berlin Brigade HQ, Truman Plaza with the PX, library and cinema, the US Army hospital and the barracks of an armoured unit (I forgot the name) together with Parks Range was in the neighbouring district of Zehlendorf, of which Wannsee is a part (Lichterfelde is a part of Steglitz).
Most married quarters were also in Zehlendorf.

Jan

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 8:38 am

Jan....thanks for the geography lesson. The official name of the range for Doughboy City, and I remember this for some reason...was Parks Range. I understand that when they removated the range in the 80s they expanded it. Do you think that they had multiple annexes?

I think the armored unit was the 40th Armored. A descendant from an old WWII tank battalion.

ANCFlyer

Mon May 23, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 30):
I think the armored unit was the 40th Armored.

You are right! Dang, I spent thirty minutes searching for that, just couldn't remember . . . yes, 40th Armor was the Berlin Brigade tank unit. You know, those clowns actually POLISHED their tanks! With Johnsons wax no less . . . a show for the commies . . .

Although I never served in Berlin, I made several trips there . . . only once going through Checkpoint Charlie - my Security Clearance prevented my going alone (which was never a good idea anyway) and often I wasn't able to get company to go along.

I consider myself fortunate to have revisited Berlin, Post-Wall/Reunification, in 1999.

Great City . . . great people (haven't met too many Germans that aren't), great history.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 am

Wasn´t Parks Range the name of the small arms firing range in Wannsee or am I confusing something? I know that it was also bordering the Berlin wall. Ian, if you could see some high rise apartment blocks around the western edge of the training area you were in, then it was the Urban Combat training site in Lichterfelde Süd, next to the "Thermometer" residential area (so called because all the streets there were named after persons related to thermodynamics, Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, Reamur etc.).

Sgtmaj.,

Back in 1989 I had a friend, who was a sergeant in the 5th Bat 502nd Inf Rgt (if I remember correctly). Just a few months before the wall came down we went quite often to East Berlin, because he wanted to see what was going on behind the Iron curtain. He had to cross through Checkpoint Charly, wearing his class A uniform, while I, at this time looking like a hippy, crossed at Friedrichstrasse (as a Westberliner I wasn´t allowed to use Checkpoint Charly and I got almost strip searched by the East German Vopos every time I crossed).
Unfortunately I lost contact with him after he left the military and went back to the States. Is there a way you can trace a former US Army soldier? I´d like to say hello to him.

Jan

[Edited 2005-05-23 03:07:33]

[Edited 2005-05-23 03:27:00]

L-188

Mon May 23, 2005 10:04 am

Hey Jan.

Try checking out to see if he is registered over at Military.com.

They have a bunch of unit boards, that people can put their names up at. Kind of a Classmates.com deal except for free.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 10:22 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 32):
Wasn´t Parks Range the name of the small arms firing range in Wannsee or am I confusing something? I know that it was also bordering the Berlin wall. Ian, if you could see some high rise apartment blocks around the western edge of the training area you were in, then it was the Urban Comabat training site in Lichterfelde Süd, next to the "Thermometer" residential area (so called because all the streets there were named after persons related to thermodynamics, Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, Reamur etc.).

Jan...I was there once back in 1987 and would be hard pressed to give you too many details, other than the sign at the entrance called it Parks Range and had the words "Doughboy City" in quotes. We were right on the border, and it was a truly impressive site, the likes of which I had only seen at Fort Bragg and Camp MacCall prior to that.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 am

I think I have been confusing the name with the small arms range in Wannsee.

Jan

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 10:28 am

Jan. I found a website that has some answers.

http://www.berlin-brigade.de/us-ins/us-ein1.html

Has some pretty good photos too.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 10:36 am

Ian,
Thanks for the link! It brings memories back!
The gate of Andrews Barracks was just 500 meters away from my home!

As I said, I confused Parks Range (Doughboy City) with Rose Range (the firing range).
BTW, I know a German couple who set up a private museum including a collection of vehicles and uniforms (they also do living history displays at memorial events) of the US Army Berlin Brigade.
The hospital was about two blocks away from my high school and I passed it on the way to university (the department of inorganic chemistry of the Freie Universität is in the same street).

Jan

[Edited 2005-05-23 03:39:39]

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 11:05 am

Another thing: I noticed the British ghost town. I remember how another guy and myself once set fire to the tarpaper on the highest building during a civil defense exercise . At this time I didn´t have my blasting ticket yet and was under training. So during this major exercise, for which the civil defense and fire brigade borrowed the site from the British Army, I was attached to a pyrotechnics specialist to assist him in setting up the fireworks for the exercise. We had the top floor incl. the roof and the back stairs of the highest building for ourselves, in the other floors the fire brigade training staff placed actors dressed as casualities by the Red Cross. We placed big backing pans full of selfmade Napalm in the top floor and set them alight with sticks of cordite, salvaged for us from old WW2 artillery shell by the police bomb disposal amourers. Then we had loads of smoke bombs, some of them converted to electrical ignition by ourselves (We simply suck some black powder igniters into the fuze hole and secured them with RTV). And for the big show for TV and the brass (both German and British), we assembled two plastic 5 gallon jerry can petrol bombs wound with detcord and a 50 kg paper bag full of flour with three sticks of dynamite in the centre....
When the fire brigade arrived at the site of this gas "explosion", set off first one of the petrol bombs from our exploder behind the building, which gave us a 20 meter fireball and then immideately the bag of flour! The firefighters almost soiled their pants!
Right afterwards I ran up the stairs to check if everything was ok on the roof and discovered that the tarpaper on the edges of the building was on fire, so I had to run down again, to a fire engine and had to borrow a fire extinguisher from them, a very big and heavy one. With this I ran up the stairs again, heaved the heavy thing through the hatch and extinguished the fire.
Then we set the napalm on fire to give the guys something to extinguish. I also dropped smoke bombs all over the place (the only time in the civil defense I really had to wear my respirator), so that the firefighters couldn´t cheat with their breathing equipment... BIG FUN!

Afterwards the top floor of the building was a soothy mess, but fortunately for us we only had to remove our firing wires. The site was rented by the Berlin Fire brigade and they were responsible to bring it back to it´s original condition... and it was sqeaky clean before we got into it!

Jan

[Edited 2005-05-23 04:06:33]

[Edited 2005-05-23 04:06:59]

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 11:11 am

Also Roosevelt Barracks, this was the place where my great-grandfather served as a sergeant in the Imperial Army before WW1.

Jan

ANCFlyer

Mon May 23, 2005 11:22 am

Unfortunately I lost contact with him after he left the military and went back to the States. Is there a way you can trace a former US Army soldier? I´d like to say hello to him.

Jan, it's very possible. . . . he might still be in actually . . . only been 15 years . . .

Regardless - as L-188 says, try www.military.com. Failing that, if you can recall any details about him - perhaps he mentioned a hometown, or some such thing, drop me a note on my A-Net contact, I'll see if I can get a line on him with friends still at the Pentagon . . . . hell there's probably one or two people there I didn't piss off in the 5 years I was assigned there . . . no guarantees but never know . . . I could put an advisory out on the Army Times also . . . if you really want to find the guy, it might be difficult and take time, but certainly not impossible . . .

He had to cross through Checkpoint Charly, wearing his class A uniform

So did I . . . I hated that . . . not every soldier had to do that. . . only those with a high security clearance . . . what a pain in the butt . . . however, the East Germans, although obviously fairly strict and rude with everyone - were not so with American GIs in Class As. I had little problem, other than having to get my Flag Orders reissued twice . . . typos and format errors were frowned upon . . . .

I'll be glad to help you find your friend - let me know what you think.

MD11Engineer

Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 am

Sgtmaj,

There is a IM on the way.

BTW, once we were in East Berlin, we usually got out of the city center quite fast (only walking permitted though), because there were too many officers hanging around Alexanderplatz and he got fed up of constanly saluting them.

Jan

planespotting

Mon May 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Wonder who on his Secret Service detail will be fired?

judging by the article, it doesn't appear that anyone in the secret service was at fault for the grenade being thrown in the first place, or not going off for that matter.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 37):
The gate of Andrews Barracks was just 500 meters away from my home!

Then we were probably in the same neighborhood at one time for at least a few weeks.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 38):
When the fire brigade arrived at the site of this gas "explosion", set off first one of the petrol bombs from our exploder behind the building, which gave us a 20 meter fireball and then immideately the bag of flour! The firefighters almost soiled their pants!

rotfl  the main difference between men and boys is the blast radius of their toys!  Wink

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 38):
Then we set the napalm on fire to give the guys something to extinguish. I also dropped smoke bombs all over the place (the only time in the civil defense I really had to wear my respirator), so that the firefighters couldn´t cheat with their breathing equipment... BIG FUN!

HuUuugee fun!

Hey, try classmates.com as well. They have a military section that is pretty well developed as well.