rootsair

Why Were Stars Wars I,II&III Released After The VI

Sun May 22, 2005 7:32 am

just to make more money in my opinion....what other reason ????
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Falcon84

RE: Why Were Stars Wars I,II&III Released After The VI

Sun May 22, 2005 7:38 am

Most likely because Lucas had the original story in his mind, and hadn't even thought of the ideas that were in the prequel? I don't think it had anything to do with $$ in that regard. He had an idea for the story that ran in the 70's and 80's, and hadn't even thought about the other part.

Simple, really.
Work Right, Fly Hard

EMBQA

Sun May 22, 2005 7:39 am

I don't understand what your asking...?? Why where they released out of order...??

George Lucas had already written the manucripts for all 6 episodes, but if I recall right, had 4, 5 and 6 already in movie script form. That may not be 100% correct, but I do recall seeing George interviewed once and he stated why...

[Edited 2005-05-22 00:46:59]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

garnetpalmetto

Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 am

South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

rootsair

Sun May 22, 2005 7:46 am

No its not crappy. Its a legitimate question. Its like now, the lord pf the rings producers wil lrelease the Hobbit since they know they can make more money out of it
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Falcon84

Sun May 22, 2005 7:54 am

Well, RootsAir, they ARE in the business to make money-it sounds like your kind of offended by this premise.

I still think Lucas had what is now 4, 5 and 6 either as the only stories he had in his mind, or they were more fully developed. If I'm not mistaking, btw, he did authorize a 3rd Trilogy, that came out in book form a few years back, but that will not come out as movies.
Work Right, Fly Hard

garnetpalmetto

Sun May 22, 2005 7:56 am

In general I'm referring to your penchant for starting threads of dubious validity.

And no, the two aren't the same at all. Both LOTR and The Hobbit are products of an author other than the director, whereas the Star Wars saga is the product of Lucas's mind and, as already stated, he had originally planned A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi to be a single film - a "space opera" if you will like Wagner's Ring Cycle. However, Lucas soon realized he had too much story entirely and broke up the story into three chunks, hoping that A New Hope would at least be a mild hit so that the other parts of the original trilogy could be told.

That being said, he already had planned out the basic backstory of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, and much of the dialogue in A New Hope supports this. It's also no secret that he was never happy with the technological limitations of the original trilogy and after working on Jurassic Park, Lucas realized the technology was finally available to tell the story hoe he had wanted to and began work on the re-releases (which, I'll admit were about nothing but more money) and, seeing that he could use the technology as he wished it, began the prequel trilogy so that audiences could see how Anakin fell from grace to become Vader, something many had always been curious about.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

goCOgo

Sun May 22, 2005 10:37 am

If memory serves, the full story for Star Wars was written as one large story treatment, intended to be produced as one movie. He quickly realized there was way to much, so he went with the portion of the original treatment that had what he considered to be the most bankable storyline, what became A New Hope.

Plus, having seen all the movies, it just works better having the movies in the order they are in. Would The Empire Strikes Back have been nearly as cool if we already knew that Vader was Luke's father, etc?

As a side note, one of the problems with the prequels is that they did go mostly back to that initial story treatment, which was something like 60%+ used in the original trilogy. Of the remaining amount, he indicated that he used about 20% each in the first two prequels, meaning that he had to add a lot of filler to round out those films. He used the remaining 60% in Revenge of the Sith, which is at least partly, in my opinion, the reason it is the best prequel.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

oldeuropean

Sun May 22, 2005 8:36 pm

Quote Garnetpalmetto:

Stop posting crapy threads...
...or we will kill this kitten!

Oh, you are the guy who trained Darth Vader.

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

dl021

Sun May 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 6):
began work on the re-releases (which, I'll admit were about nothing but more money)

I would also point out that there were millions who had not seen the original three films in the theater, as they had not even been born when the movies came out and Lucas wanted them to have similar experiences to the older audience so that when the second tranche of movies came out they would have the same background.

That....... and the money....which is really not a problem. If that many people want to go and see the movie, then it should be released. You might not remember the wave of revival viewings of films back in the 70s when movies such as Casablanca, Key West and African Queen saw studio re-release in theaters in order to let people see them again as intended. My dad took me to see Marx Bros. movies, half the Bogie movies, and others at the Silver Screen theater in Atlanta as a kid, and those were as good for me as seeing Bladerunner, The Pink Panther or Raiders with him.

Let me tell you, the Marx Bros were some funny sonsofguns.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

AirWillie6475

Sun May 22, 2005 11:17 pm

Because Lucas intendend the Story of Star Wars to be centered around the ADULT Darth Vader from the very beginning. Then he added some charachters like the princess and Skywalker. Thats why at when the story became so popular it was a no brainer to start a second trilogy about Darth Vader. I have to say that some of Lucas's story line like in Episodes 1/2//6 turned into BS just to satisfy the rest of the plot, everything happened so convinently for the charachters. I guess you have to do that when you have to cover a large story.

I don't think that Lucas had the 1,2,3 episodes in mind when he was doing 4,5,6. He just tried to build on details from episode 4. I don't think it was about the money cause Lucas had enough to live for 10 life times, but it was for the fans and people who enjoyed star wars.

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 8:44 am

I think that the idea that the first trilogy was centered around Darth Vader is more of a revision. The movies clearly centered around Luke and his quest to become a Jedi and save the galaxy. Vader was the counterpoint to Luke, and they represented the two sides of the force.

Now that the entire set is out one could argue that Anakin/Vader is the center of the first three and Luke is the center of the last three, with a reunification at the end, with a fulfillment of the prophecy coming at the climax of Return of the Jedi.

StarAC17

Mon May 23, 2005 10:30 am

If there is anyone here who saw "A New Hope" in 1977 did the opening sequence actually say episode IV or did George Lucas add that in when the original trilogy was released onto video.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

dl021

Mon May 23, 2005 10:35 am

No...the original was done with the hope of being received well enough to permit the other two to follow. The idea of making the backstory into a "prequel" did not come until later. It was added to the re-release, along with some bogus changes to the scenes added digitally.

drgreen757

Mon May 23, 2005 11:25 am

My God, the last time I heard this much mindless banter I was at a Star Trek convention. Please...get help....I did.
Save the grey ghosts.

texdravid

Mon May 23, 2005 11:48 am

Well, I saw "Revenge of the Sith" and it was the best of the current trilogy.
The acting was not nearly as wooden as the first two episodes.

The Jedi Knights were wrong that Anakin Skywalker was the chosen one, and the one that would bring "order" to the force and defeat the Sith.

Instead, it was his son Luke that accomplished all the above.

When viewed in total of all 6 episodes, "Sith" is 2nd best, behind the "Empire Strikes Back" IMHO.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

L-188

Mon May 23, 2005 11:51 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 15):
The Jedi Knights were wrong that Anakin Skywalker was the chosen one, and the one that would bring "order" to the force and defeat the Sith.

Between you and Bill O'Reily giving away the plot, thanks a lot.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

airtran737

Mon May 23, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 16):

We all knew that Anakin was evil and Luke was to bring balance to the Force. We've known that for twenty years now.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Gemuser

Mon May 23, 2005 2:48 pm

God I cant believe this thread! But I guess some people were not around in 1977  Smile

There is a documentary about Lucas and Star Wars, the title of which escapes me at the moment and I am a work and will be for another 8 hours so I cant look it up, BUT it was release in this country on the fourth, Bonus Material, disks of the boxed DVD release of the original three movies and I presume in other countries. I highly recommend it.

In this documentary George Lucas states, in person, that he spent a year writing the original screen treatment and at the end he realised that it was too big for one movie, but not wanting to waste a year of his life, he cut it into three acts, the original Star Wars, being the first act.

It was called Star Wars, nothing else, no words, no numbers, just Star Wars, it did not become A New Hope, Star Wars IV until he decided to do the prequels, which was well after Return of the Jedi was released. I still call the original movie Star Wars, can't get my head around the name change! Which does cause some confusion among younger members of the family.

The cinema re release was a GREAT idea, my son who was 14 at the time was beside himself with joy at the thought of FINALLY seeing it as it was ment to be seen, on the big screen. He was blown away for days! I also totally enjoyed it! On the bonus material disk mentioned above is a TV ad for the rerelease that makes this very point, great ad.

When news of the second trilogy came out it was that there were TWO new trilogies, a prequel AND a sequel to the original trilogy. The sequel trilogy, as movies, has not been mentioned for a l-o-n-g time, but having now seen 1 to 6, I would love for Lucas to do the third trilogy!!!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

texdravid

Tue May 24, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 16):

You aren't serious, are you?!!
I didn't give away anything!! My comment is something that has been known for over 20 years!!

Yeah sure

ACDC8

Tue May 24, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 12):
If there is anyone here who saw "A New Hope" in 1977 did the opening sequence actually say episode IV or did George Lucas add that in when the original trilogy was released onto video.

Yes, the original Star Wars released in 1977 DID have the title "A New Hope" on the opening screen. That was something that bothered me for years and we kids always tried to figure out what happened to the first three parts. It's always kinda bothered me when people called it a trilogy, I always told them there were 6 parts, but then they always laughed at me.

As mentioned above, when Lucas wrote Star Wars, it was one big story which was to big so he had to divide it into 6 parts. Thus, George Lucas always had all 6 parts in mind, however the reason why part 4 was released first is because he believed tha the storyline of the last 3 parts were a bit better to

capture an audience. If the first three parts were successful enough, he would later film the first 3 parts (hence the prequels).
It was as simple as that.

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 18):
It was called Star Wars, nothing else, no words, no numbers, just Star Wars, it did not become A New Hope, Star Wars IV until he decided to do the prequels, which was well after Return of the Jedi was released. I still call the original movie Star Wars, can't get my head around the name change! Which does cause some confusion among younger members of the family.

As I mentioned above, the original Star Wars released in 1977 was called "A New Hope". That title was used during the opening credits of the 1977 as well as the original video release (ah the memories). It was even on some of the original movie posters. I had the biggest fight with me cousin back in '79 over this. He didn't believe me either, until we rented the movie (before "Empire" came out in 1980) and showed him that the original Star Wars was, indeed episode 4 (he didn't believe me that Leia was Luke's sister after we saw Empire neither). Just like the "Empire Strikes Back" has always been episode 5 and "The Return of The Jedi" has always been episode 6.

The order of the films has nothing to do with the 1997 re-releases of the original films back, that was nothing but pure marketing from Mr.Lucas himself, who is indeed a true master in marketing.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
As I mentioned above, the original Star Wars released in 1977 was called "A New Hope". That title was used during the opening credits of the 1977 as well as the original video release (ah the memories). It was even on some of the original movie posters. I had the biggest fight with me cousin back in '79 over this. He didn't believe me either, until we rented the movie (before "Empire" came out in 1980) and showed him that the original Star Wars was, indeed episode 4 (he didn't believe me that Leia was Luke's sister after we saw Empire neither). Just like the "Empire Strikes Back" has always been episode 5 and "The Return of The Jedi" has always been episode 6.

I think you are mistaken, but I will research this as I have been wrong before. I will return with the results of this search.

ACDC8

Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 am

This may give a bit more insight...
http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/history.html

goCOgo

Tue May 24, 2005 9:54 am

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. It was still Anakin who killed the Dark Lord of the Sith, the Emperor, then allowed himself to die, killing the last Sith, himself. He still was the Chosen One, but it was fulfilled in a way the Jedi didn't expect. Luke killed neither of the Sith, albeit he was the inspiration for Anakin's actions.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
As I mentioned above, the original Star Wars released in 1977 was called "A New Hope". That title was used during the opening credits of the 1977 as well as the original video release (ah the memories). It was even on some of the original movie posters.

No. When Star Wars was released in 1977, it lacked the "A New Hope" title. However, in 1978 (which sort of melded together with the original release, making the interesting trivia that Star Wars is the only move to remain #1 one year after it's release, even though it was really 2 separate releases) and 1979, the original was re-released, containing the "A New Hope" title. I know I just read that somewhere. It was still Episode 4 in his mind, but before he tried to produce a series of films, he just wanted to make sure it would be a success. When that was apparent, the "A New Hope" title was added.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 10:03 am

ACDC8....ok dude, I hope this stays a simple little geek-gument but I think you are mistaken.

According to the Internet Movie Database and other sources, including my own memory of the movie and the laser disc (with the Tatooine scenes outside Mos Eiseley with Biggs and Luke) the movie was originally released as Star Wars, and the addition of the IV "A New Hope" came only with the release of the video....the word 'episode' was added at the re-release.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/

Alternate Versions for
Star Wars (1977)

* When the original theatrical version was first released, it was simply titled Star Wars.The opening crawl was changed to "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" during the 1981 re-release. According to Sterling Hedgpeth, Lucasfilm film archivist: "I found a box with all the positive elements for the 'revised' opening crawl, and the assorted trim boxes are dated from October through December 1980. This, then, is consistent with the view that Episode IV: A New Hope was added for the first time to the opening crawl for the April 10, 1981 re-release."

IMDb name and title search

A search for "star wars" found the following results:

Popular Results
Popular Titles (Displaying 8 Results)

1. Star Wars (1977)
aka "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" - USA (reissue title) (new title)
aka "Adventures of the Starkiller: Episode 1 - The Star Wars" - USA (original script title)
aka "Star Wars IV: A New Hope" - USA (video box title)

Also Known As:
Adventures of the Starkiller: Episode 1 - The Star Wars (USA) (original script title)
Guerra de las estrellas, La (USA: Spanish title)
Star Wars IV: A New Hope (USA) (video box title)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (USA) (reissue title (new title))

StarAC17

Tue May 24, 2005 10:04 am

Instead, it was his son Luke that accomplished all the above.

I think this was mentioned in another Star Wars thread but Luke doesn't kill any of the sith. If you have seen Return of the Jedi Luke defeats Darth Vader making him Anakin Skywalker again and then Anakin kills the emperor, so technically Anakin still fulfills the prophecy of bringing balance to the force.

Also in episode III Palpetine metions that good is a point of view and in that case maybe Anakin thought that his job was then to destroy the Jedi which he was sucessful in doing and him doing that also brings balance to the force but it puts the dark side in charge.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 25):
I think this was mentioned in another Star Wars thread but Luke doesn't kill any of the sith. If you have seen Return of the Jedi Luke defeats Darth Vader making him Anakin Skywalker again and then Anakin kills the emperor, so technically Anakin still fulfills the prophecy of bringing balance to the force.

Luke brought balance to the Force by NOT killing Vader. He defeated Vader, but showed mercy by refusing to execute a defenseless man, and this allowed Vader to defend his son and kill Sidious/Palpatine thus ending the reign of the Sith and the Dark Side.....leaving Anakin Skywalker to die a human again.

All that said....Luke brought the balance by evening out his fathers influence and leading his father back to the light. Luke was tempted in the most difficult way and resisted the evil.

Klaus

Tue May 24, 2005 10:24 am

Catholic bible exegesis has nothing on you! Big grin

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 11:14 am

Thousands of people in Australia declared on their last census that their religion was the Force and the way of the Jedi. I'm not one of them, but I see where it came from.

theCoz

Tue May 24, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 28):
Thousands of people in Australia declared on their last census that their religion was the Force and the way of the Jedi. I'm not one of them, but I see where it came from.

I noticed that too, it has a ton of biblical metaphors -- case in point, Anakin's mother just became pregnant out of nowhere and gave birth to "the chosen one". Strange how he ends up as Darth Vader.

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 11:46 am

But he ends up on the side of light and good. Also the son redeems the father, and the galaxy, and is the beacon for all to follow.

ACDC8

Tue May 24, 2005 6:29 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):
ACDC8....ok dude, I hope this stays a simple little geek-gument but I think you are mistaken.

Hi DL021! From one geek to another ...  Wink

http://www.starwarssource.net/sws_display.php?url=/SW/anh_script.txt
http://members.tripod.com/~RodneyT/anh.txt
http://www.fortunecity.com/millenium/rockbridge/16/stkiller.txt
http://www.fortunecity.com/millenium/rockbridge/16/anewhope.txt

Perhpas, the title Episode IV was taken out of the US version, but not some others? Just a thought I had today.

A bit of topic, but, anyone remember seeing the Octopus scene in the original theatre version of "The Goonies"? Then it disappeared on the video version. Why?

dl021

Tue May 24, 2005 10:02 pm

Well, even though it feels like we are in a comic book shop arguing about the exact origin of the third sibling of the Power Pack....here goes.

I checked out your sites and cannot find anything authorotative that tells me I'm wrong. Go back to IMDB and see the chronological order in which the names of the movie was released.

If that fails go to the official website and ask them.

It was released in the US prior to anywhere else.

What was the original name for Return of the Jedi?

Gemuser

Tue May 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Sorry ACDC8 but you are wrong!

The original 1977 release DID NOT have the title "A New Hope". I was there, in person, me myself & I and it did not have it. This was, of course, the Australian release, but it was not mentioned until many years later, some time in the 1980s it seems unlikely that it could have been changed just for the Oz release, without it being generally known,at least among the fan base.

Also, that new title was not mentioned as being in the original release in that documentary I mentioned in reply 18.

DL012
The original name of Return of the Jedi was ---> Return of the Jedi!!! During pre-production/production it was change to "Revenge of the Jedi" it was changed back to "Return" the week before original release. See above mentioned documentary.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Klaus

Tue May 24, 2005 11:29 pm

I´m pretty sure the original german release didn´t have the sub-title as well... Not before the re-release when Empire came out. I remember noticing the re-labeling at that point.

dl021

Wed May 25, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 33):
During pre-production/production it was change to "Revenge of the Jedi" it was changed back to "Return" the week before original release. See above mentioned documentary.

I must disagree, my friend, the change to Return of the Jedi came months prior to the release of the movie. The working title of the movie was Revenge of the Jedi, but Lucas decided that Jedi don't seek revenge so the name of the movie was changed. However his original intent, according to everything I've read was Revenge.

However, if you will post the name of the documentary you mention I will watch it to see. Thanks.

ACDC8

Wed May 25, 2005 11:12 am

Hello all!

So I did some more research (BTW, you guys owe me $10 for gas money, since I had to drive to another town to find the book I was looking for  silly  ).

I may have to raise the  white  on this one. According to the book "The Cinema of George Lucas" by Marcus Hearn, the original movie did not have the "Episode IV" subtitle, however, the re-release in July 1978 (not 1981) did. Now here comes the confusion, during the summer of 1978 both versions (1977 & 1978) were playing at theatres. So if you saw it in 1978 you may or may not have seen the subtitle "Episode IV", depending on the version that the theatre was playing.

As far as "Revenge/Return of the Jedi is concerned. The original title was Revenge, not Return of the Jedi. When exactly they changed the title, I don't know. But I do know is that it was not too long before because some of the merchandising already produced had the title "Revenge of the Jedi" ... a quick google search will provide lots of images to prove this.

As DL021 stated, the reason for the change was that George Lucas felt a Jedi does not seek revenge.

texdravid

Wed May 25, 2005 12:09 pm

Another interesting thing I just found out recently.

I watched the original trilogy packet that came out last fall. In the ending to the original Return of the Jedi, Luke sees the images of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the older, aged Anakin.

In the revised edition of Return of the Jedi, Hayden Christiansen appears as Anakin and he looked as he was in Episode III!!

In addition the celebration of the defeat of the Empire is not limited to the planet Endor, but shows celebrations in Naboo, Corsucant, etc. This new ending is much better.

dl021

Wed May 25, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 36):
As DL021 stated, the reason for the change was that George Lucas felt a Jedi does not seek revenge.

praise  praise I am the King of ALL GEEKS!!!!  praise  praise 

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 36):
So I did some more research (BTW, you guys owe me $10 for gas money, since I had to drive to another town to find the book I was looking for silly ).

$10 Canadian? No sweat, that's like $1.75 US, right?  Wink

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 37):
In the revised edition of Return of the Jedi, Hayden Christiansen appears as Anakin and he looked as he was in Episode III!!

In addition the celebration of the defeat of the Empire is not limited to the planet Endor, but shows celebrations in Naboo, Corsucant, etc. This new ending is much better.

Goddamnit! I know they are his movies, but I wish he'd quit screwing with them post-bellum!!

ANCFlyer

Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 38):
Goddamnit! I know they are his movies, but I wish he'd quit screwing with them post-bellum!!

Dangit . . . now I have to buy ANOTHER Star Wars movie!!! Shit Shit Shit Shit . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ACDC8

Wed May 25, 2005 12:32 pm

I am the King of ALL GEEKS!!!!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

10 Canadian? No sweat, that's like $1.75 US, right?

You wish! Try more like $2.35 US. HA!  Silly

Are you serious? You realize that in 20 years from now they're gonna be arguing about that?! AAARRRRRGGHHHH!

Memo to Mr.Lucas: PLEASE STOP MESSIN' UP YOUR FLIPPIN' MOVIES! biggrin 

Gemuser

Wed May 25, 2005 7:49 pm

DL021 Reply 35

""Quoting Gemuser (Reply 33):
During pre-production/production it was change to "Revenge of the Jedi" it was changed back to "Return" the week before original release. See above mentioned documentary. "

I must disagree, my friend, the change to Return of the Jedi came months prior to the release of the movie. The working title of the movie was Revenge of the Jedi, but Lucas decided that Jedi don't seek revenge so the name of the movie was changed. However his original intent, according to everything I've read was Revenge.

However, if you will post the name of the documentary you mention I will watch it to see. Thanks"

OK DL020, one amendment, the title was changed back to Return "just weeks" before release. In fact up until the start of principle photography its *working* title was "Blue Harvest"!! Information privoded on cemera by Howard Kazanjian, a producer at Lucasfilm.

The source of all this information is the documentary refered to above. Details of which are:
Name: Empire of Dreams:The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy
Produced by: Promethmous Productions and Lucasfilm
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox on the 4th disk of the DVD, boxed set, release of the first three films in 2004. (Details are for the Oz release, of course)

I dont know if it is available else where. It is very good and contains an enormous amount of information about the first three films, much less about the forth, it was obviously made about the time of the 4th movie. It is two & half hours long!

Gemuser

garnetpalmetto

Wed May 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 41):
In fact up until the start of principle photography its *working* title was "Blue Harvest"!

Blue Harvest was never the working title, but a cover name. When the raw film was shipped (I believe to the FX lab) it was in canisters labeled "Blue Harvest" (an homage to the Kurosawa film "Red Harvest") for security reasons. Similarly the first teaser trailer for "Revenge" was shipped as "Sand Dogs" and the actual reels for "Attack of the Clones" were shipped as "Cue Ball."

slider

Thu May 26, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):
The working title of the movie was Revenge of the Jedi, but Lucas decided that Jedi don't seek revenge so the name of the movie was changed. However his original intent, according to everything I've read was Revenge.

True, as well as the fact they had heard there was another film being released around the time of Jedi that had the word "revenge" in it as well. I can't recall the name of that movie, but according to Rick McCallum, the producer of both trilogies, that was also a factor.

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 41):
It is very good and contains an enormous amount of information about the first three films, much less about the forth, it was obviously made about the time of the 4th movie. It is two & half hours long!

I can ditto this; that Empire of Dreams piece on the DVD set is outstanding!