bristolflyer

US Drivers Learn This Word: 'courtesy'

Fri May 27, 2005 11:08 am

Well I've been in the States for a while now and it surprises me how discourteous drivers are in the US compared to the UK, especially as they're such a friendly bunch generally.

There's very little of letting people out of side roads, even if the car on the main road is about to stop anyway for traffic ahead. Freeways are the same - nobody lets anybody in adjacent lanes in to theirs if it requires a bit of acceleration or braking to make a gap.

In the UK people will always flash you to let you out of side roads or let you into their lane, especially if you have a trailer. I'm often towing a trailer on busy freeways in Phoenix and nobody cares about your predicament when trying to change lanes. When a truck (or trailer-towing vehicle) is overtaking another in the UK the vehicle being overtaken will flash his lights to let the overtaker know that he is clear and can pull back into that lane. Absolutley no chance would that happen in Arizona!

Anyone else done a lot of driving in the US and the UK and noticed the difference?

BF
Fortune favours the brave

ANCFlyer

RE: US Drivers Learn This Word: 'courtesy'

Fri May 27, 2005 11:13 am

Wishful thinking.

Other than France and Italy the most obnoxious drivers I've ever seen are right here in the USA - and I can't decide whether the DC area or Anchorage has the worst.

Pet Peeve: When I'm merging ON to a freeway, why doesn't that asshole in the right lane move to one of the other TWO lanes that have no traffic so I can merge easily. . . .

Pet Peeve: If you know you have to make a left turn three blocks up and you're in the far right lane on Northern Lights Blvd, get the fuck over to the left BEFORE you get to the turn, dumbass. Oh . . . and use a signal either way.

Of course, all drivers become instantly courteous and law abiding - provided I'm in my cruiser and not my truck . . . . funny how that happens.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

USAFHummer

Fri May 27, 2005 11:15 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Of course, all drivers become instantly courteous and law abiding - provided I'm in my cruiser and not my truck . . . . funny how that happens.

I love that effect...everyone sees a cop and traffic slows down to stay behind him...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ltbewr

Fri May 27, 2005 11:19 am

I have driven close to 10000 miles in the UK over several trips, from Dover to Iverness, Wales to Norfolk. One big difference in the UK is the better 'lane disipline' on the motorways. The slow lane is for around the speed limit or under it, trucks, caravans, slow vehicles, slower drivers. The middle lane is for the speed limit and slightly above, passing slow lane vehicles. The fast name is not for trucks and mainly for either passing or going as fast as the cops or lack of them will let you. In the USA, our interstates have little of that disipline. Also, our drivers tend to be a bunch of amatures who tend to drive distracted on the cell (mobile) phones, put on makeup, drink coffee, eat, look at maps, all illegal in the UK per their distracted driving rules. You are also more likely to have difficulty in the USA keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you, as someone behind you is cramming your real bumper, flashing lights trying to get one second in front of you.

ANCFlyer

Fri May 27, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 2):
everyone sees a cop and traffic slows down to stay behind him...

I love that "Yes Sir" effect also . . . stop some asshole and it's all "Yes Sir, No Sir" until I drive off . . . then it's WT@_(UI$O)UHF@(&!@&$(&(@!GHDFIH*U@!. Ha Ha Ha.

Ever hear that joke . . . .

Cop pulls a guy over, guy gets to being a smart ass, cop pops him in the chops with his flashlight, tells him to be more respectful . . . before he lets the guy go cop goes around to the pax side of the vehicle, smacks the shit out of the passenger with the flashlight too. When asked," why did you do that, I didn't say a word". Cop replies,"because 5 miles down the road you'd have said, If that SOB would have hit ME in the mouth . . . "   

[Edited 2005-05-27 04:34:01]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Usairwys757

Fri May 27, 2005 11:28 am

ANCFlyer, just to let you know. I LOATHED cops when I was in high school.

The only time I like you guys now is when I need you for something.

- Edit, I do have respect for what you do though.

[Edited 2005-05-27 04:29:28]
Inactive.....

ANCFlyer

Fri May 27, 2005 11:32 am

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 5):
ANCFlyer, just to let you know. I LOATHED cops when I was in high school.

The only time I like you guys now is when I need you for something.

laughing  Don't sweat it, you're not alone, and you're in good company . . . I won't hold it against you . . .

Were you a naughty little 737 in High School . . .  biggrin 

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 27, 2005 11:51 am

Oh yeah, the well known case of black-and-white-fever  Wink I like how on four way stops, people will sit there until the cop goes, even though they clearly had the rightaway. They will yield to you anywhere you go...except when you're going code, then all of a sudden they can't see you...

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
I love that "Yes Sir" effect also . . . stop some asshole and it's all "Yes Sir, No Sir" until I drive off . . . then it's WT@_(UI$O)UHF@(&!@&$(&(@!GHDFIH*U@!. Ha Ha Ha.

Yup. Its kinda funny how if you have two kids standing there. One being extremely (as in way more than normal) polite, and the other being a cocky smartass. Which one is more likely to cause trouble later that night? The "nice" one, because he knows how to work the system and fool cops.

Ever hear that joke . . . .

Yup.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

JBLUA320

Fri May 27, 2005 12:36 pm

Was driving today... I was doing 50 in a 40, and I guess that wasn't good enough so the guy passed me in a no-passing lane, sped up... and I caught up with him at the next traffic light. Really got him to his destination that much faster...

JBLU

DLKAPA

Fri May 27, 2005 12:43 pm

I try to be a curteous and cautios driver.... But Going from DEN to ABQ in 5 hours (With a stop on the way) was kinda fun Big grin
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

mdsh00

Fri May 27, 2005 12:50 pm

I don't even want to start with all the asshole drivers in West LA. But one thing I have to say about bad driving. If anyone deserves the title for reckless driving, it should be drivers in the Persian Gulf counties. That month I spent in Dubai, WOW. I have never seen so much highway crossing, insane speeding, etc. I hear reckless driving is a major problem in that region.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

sccutler

Fri May 27, 2005 12:53 pm

In driving, courtesy accompanies skill and competence. Dream on.

We license drivers as a reward for being able to fog a mirror, and driving is now regarded as a right, rather than a regulated privilege.

The ability to watch from above and smirk as I blast by is reason enough to justify flying...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

LHMark

Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 pm

I've always figured that one of the most annoying things about being a cop would be everybody in front of you driving exactly at the posted speed limit.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

ANCFlyer

Fri May 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 12):
I've always figured that one of the most annoying things about being a cop would be everybody in front of you driving exactly at the posted speed limit.

Yup, I do hate that . . . I generally drive with traffic if I'm in my truck . . . 3-8 over in the cruiser . . . and it's hilarious . . . some folks will pass me . . . but it takes them 5 miles to do it . . . going 1-2 mph more than I . . . I don't even look over . . . .

DLKAPA

Fri May 27, 2005 2:18 pm

My sister is a sheriff's deputy, kinda. I once blew by one of her colleagues while he was set up in a speed trap doing 75 in a 55. I was like  wave  and he was like  no  but he didn't even pull me over!  bigthumbsup 
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ANCFlyer

Fri May 27, 2005 2:28 pm

He told you sister though, and you were busted anyway . . . somehow worse huh.  biggrin 

DLKAPA

Fri May 27, 2005 2:35 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
He told you sister though, and you were busted anyway . . . somehow worse huh.

No he didn't Big grin

aerobalance

Fri May 27, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm courteous on the streets, however, on the racetrack I'm pure Hell.........I should fit right in this June in France.....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

ANCFlyer

Fri May 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 17):
I should fit right in this June in France.....

I'm going to guess you'll be watching to Indy this weekend?

I hope little Ms. Patrick wins . . .

pacificjourney

Fri May 27, 2005 3:06 pm

Bristol you must be insane.

US drivers are by far the most polite anywhere. When you go back to the UK look again please, now there are some mad drivers !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

aerobalance

Fri May 27, 2005 3:10 pm

I'm going to guess you'll be watching to Indy this weekend?

I hope little Ms. Patrick wins . .

Yes - Indy, Nurburgring F1, and Charlotte......It's gonna be good! I'm cheering for Kenny Brack to slice through the field and take Victory!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

NWA742

Fri May 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Having vast inexperience driving in other countries, I can't rate the US compared to others, but I can say that we certainly have our fair share of assjacks on the roads here.

In addition to ANC's pet peeves, here's a view more that I share:

Pet Peeve: If you know you are going to make a turn up ahead, be it right or left, and a nice long turn lane is provided for your sake, USE IT! Don't make me slow down because I'm behind you and you want to ease your way into the turn at the last second without using the freaking turn lane, asshole. And use your signal too, prick.

Pet Peeve: Stop reading, stop chatting, stop doing your makeup, and drive your damn car. How hard of a concept is that to grasp? Quick calls that SERVE A PURPOSE are no problem while driving. And use a hands-free device for your phone, it's a lot safer.

Pet Peeve: If I'm on a 4-lane or more highway, and I pass you in the passing lane, don't speed up. You don't have to be insulted that you're getting passed. Others will drive faster than you no matter what. Maintain your speed, set your cruise, moron.

Pet Peeve: This applies mainly to one group: I DO NOT want to see your last name in a stupid font in your rear window. Just what in the hell does putting it there accomplish? Are you proud that your last name is Gonzales? Well good for you, but keep it to yourself, because nobody else cares.

-NWA742

[Edited 2005-05-27 08:23:19]
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

CaptOveur

Fri May 27, 2005 3:33 pm

Your last pet peeve almost totally gave away the fact you live in south Texas.

I have no idea why they do that. Then again I guess if someone named Gonzales cuts you off in traffic you will have a hell of a time hunting them down to kill them.

I also wish people wouldn't tint the hell out of their windows. I almost had a wreck in the parking lot the other day because I couldn't tell there was anyone in a pickup in the parking lot. Someone sitting in the left seat is one of those clues I have that indicates you might be ready to move.

What the hell is it about Yield signs that makes them totally invisible? Something about South Texas has made yield signs totally useless. I have turned into an asshole though and I honk like hell if someone blows through one and I have to manuver or brake to avoid them.

South Texas has made me into a complete asshole on the road now, when I go up north I have all my nasty aggressive driving habits.. and worst of all I am programmed for the Texas 70mph unenforced limit when Ohio is 65 and strictly enforced.

Lane discipline does drive me nuts. I keep right pretty much all the time and I cannot think of any reason some moron needs to go 5 under in the left lane. Or when some clown can't move over so faster traffic can pass.. Things that make me go RHAAAAAAA
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

NWA742

Fri May 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 22):
I am programmed for the Texas 70mph unenforced limit when Ohio is 65 and strictly enforced.

I wouldn't be calling it unenforced anymore. Usually I've been able to get away cruising at 75-80 going through TX, but not recently.

Texas DPS has been much more strict lately it seems. I got a ticket a month ago for 78 in a 70. Wondering why they bothered with that one, whenever they have plently of cars going 85-90 to pick on.

A week ago, at 4:30am, driving through a ghost-county on my way out of state, I got lit up by another DPS going no more than 68,89 in the 65 night zone. He gave me warning for speeding 4 or so over.

What puzzles me is the risk that that DPS officer took pulling me over, just for a warning for slightly speeding in a night zone. I mean, pulling over a car in the middle of the night, on an empty highway, not being able to see much inside the car, is a lot of risk to take just for a warning Mr. DPS.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

CaptOveur

Fri May 27, 2005 3:55 pm

Last weekend I drove to Lubbock and never saw a single trooper, just one Sheriff out in the middle of nowhere.

This weekend I will be driving my girlfriend to see her parents, we will be going down I-37... There will be troopers there, They love to bag the Mexicans heading to or from the border on 35,37 and 281. I have really never seen a trooper north of Austin or between SAT and AUS for that matter.. It seems on the deserted stretches of road they seem to stay away and let us run however fast we want.

NWA742

Fri May 27, 2005 4:02 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 24):
Last weekend I drove to Lubbock and never saw a single trooper, just one Sheriff out in the middle of nowhere.

You do have a point. On my way back into the state, I drove the I27 stretch from Amarillo to Lubbock and did not see a single cop.

To think I could've driven 95 the whole way, but was only going 74 because I'm now watching my speed more carefully from this past month of bad luck.

-NWA742

skidmarks

Fri May 27, 2005 4:02 pm

I have to say, my experiences in the states are a bit different. I've always found drivers willing to give way at freeway junctions, let you in when overtaking and generally just being decent people.

In UK however the discipline on the roads is appalling. Motorway driving is a lottery and the amount of assholes who drive while on the phone, eating or smoking is amazing. And all at top speed.

Guess I've never been to Phoenix or Anchorage so I can't say anything about them. I even found New York City a damn sight easier to drive around than London!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

paulc

Fri May 27, 2005 4:08 pm

Agree with driving in Dubai - its is bad enough as a passenger but Moscow is also an interesting place to be driven especially in a coach as you are more protected than in a car.
English First, British Second, european Never!

scbriml

Fri May 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
That month I spent in Dubai, WOW. I have never seen so much highway crossing, insane speeding, etc. I hear reckless driving is a major problem in that region.

The driving in Dubai is quite polite compared with Qatar - the locals drive like maniacs (and invariably in a Toyota Landcruiser, so no arguing with them!) Lane discipline? Pah! They don't know what a lane is!

Quoting Paulc (Reply 27):
Agree with driving in Dubai - its is bad enough as a passenger but Moscow is also an interesting place to be driven especially in a coach as you are more protected than in a car.

I haven't found Moscow to be too bad. The biggest problem there is the huge volume of traffic. If I'm driven from the office to the hotel, it can take 40 minutes - I can walk it in less than 10!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

57AZ

Fri May 27, 2005 5:18 pm

"I'm often towing a trailer on busy freeways in Phoenix and nobody cares about your predicament when trying to change lanes. When a truck (or trailer-towing vehicle) is overtaking another in the UK the vehicle being overtaken will flash his lights to let the overtaker know that he is clear and can pull back into that lane. Absolutley no chance would that happen in Arizona!"

Don't judge the rest of Arizona (or the rest of the US) by Phoenix. Here in Tucson, I've generally found that many people will let you in if you signal-same for LA whenever I had to drive there. The key is to keep with the flow of traffic, avoiding becoming an unnecessary impediment if possible. Commercial drivers will often signal an overtaking commercial vehicle when it is safe to make the lane change using their headlights since they are aware of the other vehicle's limited visability in the mirrors. I know this first hand since I spent a year doing over the road driving for a commercial motorcoach operator. Phoenix and LA were great for commercial driving because of the HOV/Bus lanes.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

tbar220

Fri May 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Thread starter):
In the UK people will always flash you to let you out of side roads or let you into their lane, especially if you have a trailer.

Well that's great if its a hot chick driving the vehicle...
NO URLS in signature

oldeuropean

Fri May 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 17):
I'm courteous on the streets, however, on the racetrack I'm pure Hell.........I should fit right in this June in France.....

Come to the German Autobahn.

But perhaps it`s a little bit to strange for snails. (In 1987 I have been in the US, driving throug California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada , and Utah.) Oh my god, how slowly they drove. It was horror.)  Big grin

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Kay

Fri May 27, 2005 6:19 pm

That's what absolutely struck me the first time I drove in Germany. It actually starts miles from the border, well within Austrian territory, drivers cruise at 200km/h or more, an absolutely normal speed.

The change was very welcome, except that I will rent better equipment next time. The top speed of that Renault Scenic SW Diesel was somewhere around 193km/h, that I was hitting repeatedly for a good 10 or 15 minutes and quite often during the whole trip. It was almost dangerous seeing that Audi S6 getting bigger so quickly in the rear view mirror, next thing I know I had to swerve to the slower lane as quickly as possible. I was at the maximum speed of the Renault, it floated all over the place.

Also what struck me in Germany is the car landscape: 1 car out of 5 is a Porsche. Austria is much more conservative and boring.

Kay

AgentM

Fri May 27, 2005 7:44 pm

When I drove in the UK I was really surprised at how much nicer drivers were than in the US. I even stalled out in Manchester and didn't get any horns honking from the folks behind me. London was just too congested to even notice if there was courtesy. I agree 100% with the post about NYC being easier to drive in than London.

As far as horrible drivers in the US; I would give the prize to the Philadelphia, PA area! If there's a slight turn on a highway, cop pulling someone over ON THE OTHER SIDE, or a deer 50ft away a lot of people slow down significantly. I won't even get into how people are assholes on the roads here...

I know LA can be pretty bad with traffic, but I have to respect the drivers for being able to be densely packed on the highways and maintain over 70mph... you know, late at night or early afternoon  Smile

SLC1

Fri May 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 2):
I love that effect...everyone sees a cop and traffic slows down to stay behind him...

Pet Peeve : People driving at exactly 64 miles an hour on the freeway around a cop whose car is clearly labeled as a local cop from another city.

Pet Peeve : People who use the left lane as the slow lane and the shoulder (yes, the shoulder, people do that in Utah) to pass.

Pet Peeve : People who stop at the stoplight less than 12 inches from the back bumper on your car on an extremely steep hill.

Pet Peeve : People who, upon turning on your turn signal speed up so you can't get in front of them.

Pet Peeve : People who double park beside your car when you went to the trouble of finding a place to legally park.

BIG Pet Peeve : When you stop for a pedestrian, the dumbass who doesn't stop in the lane beside you.

BIG Pet Peeve : The DUMBASS - this is the same guy but there's 2 situations:

#1 when the lane at a signal is a straight-slash-right turn lane, you want to go straight, he wants to turn right, the light is red, he of course honks and flips you off.

#2 when the light has just turned green and the guy behind you honks.

btw...if you're behind me and either of the two above apply you ain't going anywhere soon.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

PacificWestern

Sat May 28, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 34):
Pet Peeve : People who, upon turning on your turn signal speed up so you can't get in front of them

People like that deserve to die!

And what about those who insist on driving no more than 50kms where the posted speed limit is 90kms. Grrrrrr.

I don't think US drivers are any worse than Canadian drivers. However, in Montréal, well, that's a whole different story!

SLC1

Sat May 28, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 35):
I don't think US drivers are any worse than Canadian drivers.

I do, what us Americans find funny is you know the ramp speeds that Americans love to ignore (and are told to ignore by police, driving instructors, etc. etc.) - you Canucks follow them to a T. If that yellow sign says 50 km/h even when you could realistically be going 90-100, you're there. I twice about rear-ended a guy in YYC because of that. On top of that, you're generally more courteous. Of course, as you say that goes out the window in parts of Québec, but who are we kidding, are they really Canadians?  Wink And you people can actually turn your lights on during the day without people coming up to you and yelling through the window that your lights are on.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat May 28, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 19):

US drivers are by far the most polite anywhere. When you go back to the UK look again please, now there are some mad drivers !

I've driven in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, US, and Canada. And I give the Germans the most credit. Granted, they don't realize what those shiny things on the sides of car are, but they will flash to pass, and if you flash to pass, they will move over promptly. Only bad experience I had was going 200 kmh when some bozo pulled out in front going only 110... got some braking action then...

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 22):
Your last pet peeve almost totally gave away the fact you live in south Texas.

Nah, you can see that silly stuff here in Minnesota as well. That and trucks that are lowered so they would scrape the ground if they hit a speed bump. People lowering duallys and putting tinted windows, names and funky lights on them...list goes on...

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 34):
Pet Peeve : People driving at exactly 64 miles an hour on the freeway around a cop whose car is clearly labeled as a local cop from another city.

Well, technically that cop could pull you over, as he does have jurisdiction anywhere he goes within his state if he is on "official police business", which most of the time he will be if he is in a squad.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

SLC1

Sat May 28, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):
which most of the time he will be if he is in a squad.

My bets are usually that they are driving home if you see a cop from a town 25 miles away on a highly residential freeway in SLC.

ORFflyer

Sat May 28, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 34):
People who, upon turning on your turn signal speed up so you can't get in front of them.

That's my biggest peeve of all posted, and as Pacific Western noted.... shoot the bastards!!

Merging is another story altogether. I believe it should be mandatory on all driving tests to define the word merge. People really don't have a clue when two lanes are merging into one. Invariably, some dipshit will make damn sure not to let anyone is front of them. To make it worse, these idiots usually just had someone let them in!! Jackasses.

Chip

PHLBOS

Sat May 28, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Thread starter):
There's very little of letting people out of side roads, even if the car on the main road is about to stop anyway for traffic ahead.

I encounter this everytime, I try to exit out the driveway of my apartment complex. To add insult to injury, a motorist wanting to enter the driveway (though 2-way, it is somewhat narrow for 2 normal sized vehicles plus the edges are flanked with a couple of brick posts) will try to shoot in before I try to exit. It's easier for him to exit the street than it is for me to enter it. What ticks me off about this even more is that many of the offenders are other tenants.

Maybe you should use a plain-jane Crown Vic. as your personal vehicle.  Big grin

Or at least a plain-Jane Explorer/Expedition/Excursion. Ford (and GM) do offer special service packages for their trucks and SUVs for many police and fire fighting acencies.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

aaflt1871

Sat May 28, 2005 2:12 am

and I can't decide whether the DC area or Anchorage has the worst

I've been to both and still live in the D.C area and will no doubt throw my vote to the D.C area, in particular the Northern Virginia area at the mixing bowl. Assholes
Where did everybody go?

CaptOveur

Sat May 28, 2005 2:13 am

Living in Texas I really don't think people can bitch about the way Americans drive.

In Texas, especially San Antonio we have an incredible number of cars with Mexican Liscense plates. They take driving like an asshole to a new level.

They drive insanely fast on the highways, or they drive insanely slow. They think the entire world stops for them at intersections. It is like they think the traffic laws don't apply to them. Anymore it seems like most of the people I don't give way to are either Canadian or Mexican.. I put a guy with British Columbia tags into the ditch the other day when he didn't obey a yield sign. (He was Canadian, I knew he didn't have a gun Big grin )

And god help you if you have a wreck with one of the Mexicans. Their insurance company may or may not speak English. If they decide they don't want to pay you they will just transfer your call around until you get someone who doesn't speak English, or claims to not speak English. That isn't a Mexican only trick though, I have heard of Quebecois doing it to people up north.

ANCFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 41):
in particular the Northern Virginia area at the mixing bowl. Assholes

I left there just as they were halfway through the reconstruction of that nightmare . . . . I can't imagine it got any better . . . .

CORULEZ05

Sat May 28, 2005 2:45 am

stop some asshole and it's all "Yes Sir, No Sir"

....uh, not always......

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Were you a naughty little 737 in High School . . .

...lame, oh so lame......

..only the people who don't have radar detectors...

People will always be people and well courtesy is not their way of being. Personally, I think you should get over it and just be on the look out for those who are driving crazy...
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

ANCFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 44):
Personally, I think you should get over it and just be on the look out for those who are driving crazy...

I agree, I'm more concerned about the weavers and those that are dangerous than simple discourteous drivers.

I check people speeding - rarely write a citation for it - if it's within reason. Usually, just hit the lights for a second or two . . . they get the message.

Police work is 50% PR - and it pays not to be a prick 100% of the time.

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 44):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Were you a naughty little 737 in High School . . .

...lame, oh so lame......

Dang, I thought it was kinda funny . . .  biggrin 

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat May 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 42):
I put a guy with British Columbia tags into the ditch the other day when he didn't obey a yield sign.

Hope you're really proud of yourself for causing an accident. What if the person would have gotten hurt? Does it make you feel good? This thread is about drivers just like you.

VHXLR8

Sat May 28, 2005 2:30 pm

To all you guys going on about how discourteous US drivers are etc; I suggest you don't drive in Australia!! If you really want to see rude, discourteous, obnoxious, aggressive (and just some generally bad) drivers, come to Australia, in particular Melbourne.
Compared to Aussie drivers, US drivers are like the headmistress of a finishing school.

AA777

Sat May 28, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
But one thing I have to say about bad driving. If anyone deserves the title for reckless driving, it should be drivers in the Persian Gulf counties. That month I spent in Dubai, WOW. I have never seen so much highway crossing, insane speeding, etc. I hear reckless driving is a major problem in that region.

Its true, my cousins live in Abu Dhabi and my dad works in the Gulf also, and they have so many stories of crazy people who drive way too fast. So many people (esp. younger kids) drive way out of their abilities. Coupled with the fact that you are hard pressed to see any car that is slow, you always see young kids in their Mercs, BMWs, Porsches etc. They like to race and so their accident rates show it.... my cousin knows a Emiraty prince (I kid you not) who is given PLENTY of spending money every year...when he turned 18 he bought an 80 thousand dollar Mercedes E55. Then he got drunk and crashed / (totaled it into a wall), and then fled the scene. He then blamed it on the driver and got the driver deported.......

-AA777

777ER
Crew

Sat May 28, 2005 3:49 pm

I've noticed in New Zealand that if your vehicle has front and/or rear bull bars then your let in because other cars don't want to mess with you. I've driven a ute equipped with bull bars and noticed it easily