Falcon84
Topic Author

DeLay Goes Ballistic Over "Law And Order"

Fri May 27, 2005 8:19 pm

This guy is just too damned sensetive for his own good!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/27/delay.law.order/index.html

Lighten up Tom! Although I guess you could call for the show to be banned, in good old neocon style.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

JGPH1A

RE: DeLay Goes Ballistic Over "Law And Order"

Fri May 27, 2005 8:54 pm

All the fervent denials from NBC and the producers are a bit disingenuous. It so WAS a political comment (and a damn funny one  rotfl  Wink

Tom Delay is a fascist. This is official.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2005 9:14 pm

Maybe they did, but this guy has better things to do than to worry about what a fictional show says about him. That's just pure bullshit.

And I agree with you. He's a fascist, which is why the neocons love him.
Work Right, Fly Hard

tristarenvy

Fri May 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Why do Republicans get all hysterical over s*** like this? I'M one, and I just expect the barbs when I watch TV. This has been going on since Ronnie was in the White House in the 80's.

Did I find it offensive? No.

Holy crap, Tom, if you can't take the heat...

And then, think of this: One of the highest rated shows on TV, right now has a NRA card carrying Republican as a main character. "Bree Van De Kamp" on "Desperate Housewives"! THAT ought to even things out, right? Right???
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

redngold

Fri May 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Sheesh... I understood it in the context of the show. He should, too. (Then again, they've never dropped *my* name in Law & Order...)
Up, up and away!

dl021

Fri May 27, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
Tom Delay is a fascist. This is official.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
And I agree with you. He's a fascist, which is why the neocons love him.

If you guys really think Tom DeLay is a fascist then neither of you know what a fascist is, and I know thats not true. You both know better and are taking the facile route to potstirring. Be accurate in your name calling, because he is a fascist the same way Hillary Clinton is a communist.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 3):
Holy crap, Tom, if you can't take the heat...

Thats true, seeing as he is a politician. However, if someone equated me with a constitution circumventing murderer I'd probably be a little pissed myself

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 3):
right now has a NRA card carrying Republican as a main character. "Bree Van De Kamp" on "Desperate Housewives"! THAT ought to even things out, right? Right???

Except that she, like all the other characters on that show, is an unrealistic and overblown nutcase. I watch the show with my wife on Sundays, and I usually get irritated....although I do think that two thirds of the women on that show are hot.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
If you guys really think Tom DeLay is a fascist then neither of you know what a fascist is, and I know thats not true.

A guy who threatens judges, Ian, because they don't make decisions he likes, is a fascist.

A guy who threatens and belittles the loyal opposition, because they dare oppose his party, is a fascist.

A guy who stands up with the gun lobby, and says "in times of trouble, it's nice to be surrounded by frneds who are armed", is a fascist.

He's a little dictator. He no more believes in democracy than did those who ran Nazi Germany. He and others like him are a threat to freedom in this country-to the benefits of a two-party system, to an independent judiciary, to anything that is decent in this country, Ian.

Not a fascist? On this one, you're dead wrong, friend.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
Be accurate in your name calling, because he is a fascist the same way Hillary Clinton is a communist.

Hillary doesn't go threatening judges and the oppostion-and networks. So you tongue-in-cheek isn't even accurate on this one, Ian.

I stand by what I said, and I'll add guys like Santorum and Ashcroft into that mix as well.
Work Right, Fly Hard

tristarenvy

Fri May 27, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
However, if someone equated me with a constitution circumventing murderer I'd probably be a little pissed myself

Betcha "Dubya" probably feels that way. But it's part of politics. Did Ted Kennedy cry when SNL did a pretty nasty gag about his driving abilities in 1980. Not that I can recall. I have seen and heard far worse out of both sides of the aisle.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
I watch the show with my wife on Sundays, and I usually get irritated....although I do think that two thirds of the women on that show are hot.

Me, too, on all of what you said. But, it's H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D. I'm a Republican, and according to Hollywood, I should dress like a 1984 yuppie, talk like Thurston Howell, drive a Rolls, and not give a crap about anyone who isn't a member at my country club. Well, Hollywood ain't right on any of the above counts, and I just expect that.

And, actually, the DeLay line went by so fast, I about missed it.

Might as well cut Dick Wolf and the L&O family some slack, "Trial By Jury " got cancelled.....

[Edited 2005-05-27 16:23:11]

dl021

Fri May 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 6):
A guy who threatens judges, Ian, because they don't make decisions he likes, is a fascist.

Tell me....is he threatening them physically or is he questioning their judgements...as you often do with people who think differently than you.

A guy who threatens and belittles the loyal opposition, because they dare oppose his party, is a fascist.

You often belittle your opposition, but the question of threatening...how exactly has he threatened them?

A guy who stands up with the gun lobby, and says "in times of trouble, it's nice to be surrounded by frneds who are armed", is a fascist.

You make jokes around your friends all the time that could easily be taken out of context and blown up out of proportion. He was under assault from his political enemies for behaving the same way that they do, only in the other direction, and he was being welcomed by a group that works to defend ideals with which he holds, and felt comfortable.

He's a little dictator. He no more believes in democracy than did those who ran Nazi Germany. He and others like him are a threat to freedom in this country-to the benefits of a two-party system, to an independent judiciary, to anything that is decent in this country, Ian.

To refer to the guy with a Chaplinesque name as another Hitler is just completey wrong. He may be an asshole, but no more than Terry whatshisname or Ted Kennedy from the Democrats. He is a product of the two party system, and the primary reason Democrats don't like him is that he outdoes them at their own games. A fascist is one who wishes to claim all power to the government and destroys all freedom to do so. Go back and re-read the definition and then come back with an Oxford definition as well as examples of DeLays actions that show him to be fascist.

Hillary doesn't go threatening judges and the oppostion-and networks. So you tongue-in-cheek isn't even accurate on this one, Ian.

No...she merely fired people because she wanted to turn offices political, she wanted to radically reform health care, with no mandate or background for it, she made broad and paranoid, and wrong, declarations of her husbands fidelity while accusiing a mythical "vast right-wing conspiracy" of making it all up. She remade herself into a New Yorker in order to collect her payoff from the Democrats for supporting her husband and not dumping his ass, and got the city of New York to elect her Senator (only after Giuliani was forced out by cancer), and she was unable to find documents being subpoenaed that were in her possession, as they tended to incriminate her. She avoided being implicated in financial scandal by the grace of a woman who would not rat her out, and she is a well known liar......see the example of her telling the New Zealanders that she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary.

All that said...she is not a communist, just as DeLay is no fascist.
Go get the examples I asked for and educate me.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2005 11:36 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
Tell me....is he threatening them physically or is he questioning their judgements...as you often do with people who think differently than you.

Come on, Ian, you're smarter than that. He has threatened their jobs because they make decisions they don't like. That's fascism at it's best. The man wants to get rid of an independent judiciary, and replace them with judges who will suck the collected schlongs of the GOP.

Anytime a person of authority and some power like DeLay openly threatens the independence of the judiciary, that makes him a fascist in my mind.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
You make jokes around your friends all the time that could easily be taken out of context and blown up out of proportion

What was out of context? He's up there, with a shitty grin on his fac, with a shotgun in his hand, saying this? Kind of alarming when a democratically elected politician, with power, is saying such shit.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
All that said...she is not a communist, just as DeLay is no fascist.

Agree with the first. Disagree with the second. I think DeLay is a fascist, and I don't see anything to change my opinion of him.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Logan22L

Fri May 27, 2005 11:47 pm

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 7):
I should dress like a 1984 yuppie, talk like Thurston Howell, drive a Rolls, and not give a crap about anyone who isn't a member at my country club. Well, Hollywood ain't right on any of the above counts, and I just expect that

Instead, you have a mullet and drive an Aztec.   

Falcon, I'm going to have to say that Ian has got you on this one. DeLay is a complete asshole, but it's not all that uncommon on both sides, these days. Given a choice, I'd much prefer the Democrats be in power, but I'm not sure that it would be all roses and butterflies. The Dems hate the GOP more than ever now because they have indeed figured out how to obtain and maintain control of the government (perhaps illegally). Be it by legal or illegal means, I'm sure the Dems would pull the same sort of things if they were in the majority.

Logan

[Edited 2005-05-27 16:59:45]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

dl021

Fri May 27, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 9):
He has threatened their jobs because they make decisions they don't like

Has he said they should be shot? Or has he said they should be censured....which is the right of Congress. THey provide oversight on judges.

Anytime a person of authority and some power like DeLay openly threatens the independence of the judiciary, that makes him a fascist in my mind.

OK...so whats your threatening of jurists who want the 10 Commandments on display?

What was out of context? He's up there, with a shitty grin on his fac, with a shotgun in his hand

Come on..... your opinion of the grin on his face (which I took to be relief at not being attacked) is no more than that...opinion....which I think is wrong here.

and I don't see anything to change my opinion of him.

NO! You are going to be stubborn here? STOP IT!  Wink

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 10):
Instead, you have a mullet and drive and Aztec. crazy Wink

The Aztec could be forgiven, but if the dude has a mullet he needs to see my barber.

Superfly

Fri May 27, 2005 11:58 pm

Seems like Republican politicians watch a lot more TV.
Bring back the Concorde

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri May 27, 2005 11:59 pm

I'll put it this way, Ian. There are other Republicans I haven't like over the years (no, really?). But very few did I think were outside mainstream America. I wasn't a fan of Reagan, or people like Rumsfeld, or Rice, or Nickles, or Jeb Bush. But I don't call them fascist. Guys like Ashcroft, Santorum and DeLay, in my view, are outside the mainstream, and have very little faith in freedom, unless it fits what they believe and when it goes their way.

So I'll stand by what I said. I think he's way out there. I think he's a little dictator in waiting, and who, if he could, would elimiantate all opposition to what he wants, if he could. He's a fascist.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ctbarnes

Sat May 28, 2005 12:03 am

It seems the ghost of Lenny Briscoe is alive and well.  Big grin

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
I think he's way out there. I think he's a little dictator in waiting, and who, if he could, would elimiantate all opposition to what he wants, if he could. He's a fascist.

But Gawd is on his side!  dopey 
Bring back the Concorde

jaysit

Sat May 28, 2005 12:09 am

Be accurate in your name calling, because he is a fascist the same way Hillary Clinton is a communist.

Hillary Clinton is capitalist lawyer turned politician.

Tom DeLay is a fascist.

The only thing that prevents him from being a fascist in the mould of Mussolini and Franco is the fact that our democracy is a mature one and keeps the reins on his wretched aspirations.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

tristarenvy

Sat May 28, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 10):
Instead, you have a mullet and drive an Aztec.

HA! Good memory. The mullet died when I walked down the asile w/the other long haired blonde in that photo, in 1992. The Aztek is all of the "rebel" that's left in me.... (Wasn't that a line from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"?)

Quoting DL021 (Reply 11):
The Aztec could be forgiven

Get 'Fly to agree w/you, and you are my HERO!

dl021

Sat May 28, 2005 12:22 am

You guys have an emotion driven personal lexicon.

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 17):
The Aztec could be forgiven

Get 'Fly to agree w/you, and you are my HERO!

That's easy....remind him that it was an effort to replace the Eagle as an everyday driver that most people could afford. Big American metal on the road with AWD capability and the effort to be distinctive.

That's really the best I could do...I actually was pissed when they made it look like a 1989 Pontiac LeMans (Korean make) on steroids, and then failed to really support it.

tristarenvy

Sat May 28, 2005 12:35 am

Noting beats a German engineered, Daewoo built, Korean Pontiac.

I think that there's a Citroen CX thrown in the Aztek DNA, too....

Back to Topic: DeLay should just let all this roll off his back, and get back to fixing the image problem. He has angered me by getting involved in the Schaivo case, at just the time he was beginning to have his troubles. Then the Republican party tries to "change the rules" about investigations.

And, I'm worried that my party is going too far "right" for my tastes. They will never be able to work a deal with the Democrats, because anyone who does, will be branded a "traitor" to the GOP. It's already begun to happen, as was reported on NPR, this morning, that there is dissapointment about McCain's working out a way to find some sort of compromise w/the Democrats.

Pope

Sat May 28, 2005 12:36 am

I never understood why guys like this take the bait.

The audience for this episode now skyrockets when Tom Delay commented on it. He should have ignored it, not said a thing and this would have been a non-story.

This is no different than Carl Jr. producing the Paris Hilton ad. They know that they'll get a 100 times more attention by producing a racy ad than if they'd just made a regular old burger ad.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

rjpieces

Sat May 28, 2005 1:54 am

Tom DeLay is not a neocon, sorry to destroy your rants. There is nothing new about his conservatism.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

TWFirst

Sat May 28, 2005 2:24 am

Can you say Dan Quayle all over again?? Doesn't Tom remember how Dan's uproar over a fictional TV show COMPLETELY backfired on him?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

diamond

Sat May 28, 2005 2:39 am

The worst thing that Delay did was to even achknowledge that he had ever HEARD of Law & Order on TV. He should be letting this stuff roll right off his back.

But then again, he is as tone-deaf as any other uber-conservative out there. They live in their own little worlds completely unaware of reality swirling around them.

They make stupid remarks and wonder why anyone might object.
Blank.

ltbewr

Sat May 28, 2005 2:41 am

I have watched many episodes of 'Law and Order' over the years. Political comments have been very often a part of the plotlines. As you may also know the head Proscutor is actor and Former Republican US Senator Thompson (Tenn.). One recent episode I saw had to do with NY Police officers whom murdered their wives, had served in Iraq and where the Proscutor was trying to tie it to drugs taken by them in the Army that messed them up. The Proscuter tried to Supenona Sec. of Def. Rumsfeld. in this plotline, yet I didn't hear of any complaints from him.
Yes, they also take on local politicans and politics as well, conflicts as to international politics and had political comments of a negative nature as to former Presidnet Clinton and other Democrats. Maybe the DeLay line was dumb, mainly as it was to tie him to someone who would kill judges (well at least the 'liberal' ones... duck  ).
Seriously, DeLay is a jerk of the top level and hopefully he will go the way that Gingrich did.

b757300

Sat May 28, 2005 2:57 am

And if the suspect had been a member of the black panthers a similar group and line had been "Maybe we should put out an APB on anyone wearing a Jesse Jackson or Barack Obama shirt", the outcry from the left would be so insane it would dominate the news for a week. Not only would Law & Order CI be off the air but the lawsuits would be flying left and right.

The hypocrisy from the left is never ending.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 3:07 am

B757300:
What in the hell is that all about?

The Black Panthers haven't been around for over 30 years. There philosophy was totally opposite of Jessie Jackson's and Barack Obama's.
Actually if you read more about the Black Panthers, you'd be suprised how much you as a conservative would agree with them and there philosphy.
Bring back the Concorde

diamond

Sat May 28, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 25):
Not only would Law & Order CI be off the air but the lawsuits would be flying left and right.

Dude, seriously. Ask your friends to sit you down and give you a reality check.

How many times in the last 6 years have the tighty-righties sought to censor a TV show or prevent it from airing? NUMEROUS is the answer. (remember the "Streisand conspiracy" they feared over the Reagan biography?)

The GOP has file not less than five formal complaints with NBC because they disagree with the way conservatives are portrayed on The West Wing. Give me a break.

The FCC didn't seriously go after Howard Stern until he started to openly criticize Bush's misuse of intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. Suddenly, just THEN, they started to find him offensive?

How many times have the Democrats tried to prevent an unflattering piece from going on the air? I know of NONE.

Of all the people that post in this forum, you are the least capable of being objective.

If a conservative makes a comment, in your view it MUST be accurate.

If a conservative is criticized, in your view it MUST be unwarranted, and an unfair attack.

Get real.
Blank.

tristarenvy

Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
As you may also know the head Proscutor is actor and Former Republican US Senator Thompson (Tenn.).

I had read that there is a lot of friction on the set, becuase of politics.

Sam Waterston being fairly left wing must have made for a happy cast during the election....

Hey DIAMOND, "tighty-righties"?!? Great line. You have a very valid point, too.

[Edited 2005-05-27 20:17:57]

L-188

Sat May 28, 2005 3:24 am

And when did he actually threaten any judge? I want a name.

So Ted Kennedy, Tom Daschle, and all of the other left wing wankers are facists?

Nope, Delay is correct. One of these days you may actually learn that a gun owner is not a bad thing, but I don't think you are mature enough yet.

Again it appears you are describing the democrats.

Really you don't remember the early 1990's, back when she was claiming not to be Lorretta Lynn do you?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

SFOMEX

Sat May 28, 2005 3:30 am

On this one DeLay is way out of control.

Had CSI made the joke, that would be worrisome, but it was Law & Order for chris sake!

Tom DeLay has more important things to care about that a lame TV show.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

mdsh00

Sat May 28, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
B757300:
What in the hell is that all about?

You know you're never going to get an answer from B757300 and his "hit and run" tactics.  Smile

By the way. DeLay needs to chill out. Better yet, leave!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

dl021

Sat May 28, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 27):
The FCC didn't seriously go after Howard Stern until he started to openly criticize Bush's misuse of intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. Suddenly, just THEN, they started to find him offensive?

Yes, they did. They fined him prior to that plenty.......besides... he did not go negative on President Bush until AFTER the FCC hit him with the fine. Check it out for yourself.

The GOP has file not less than five formal complaints with NBC because they disagree with the way conservatives are portrayed on The West Wing. Give me a break.

Well, they are a group that has a vested interest in making sure that equal time is given on the airwaves to both parties...and the West Wing is a democrat lovefest. They make persuasive arguments for rather extreme left wing causes (such as slave reparations and national single payer health insurance) and they do this during election seasons. THey rarely have a positive portrayal of a Republican and when they do it's because he/she is acting like a moderate Democrat.

How many times have the Democrats tried to prevent an unflattering piece from going on the air? I know of NONE.

Well....perhaps that is because they never really get any unflattering press...
they did seem to have a series of coniptions about the Lionel Chetwind produced movie about President Bush during the 9-11 attacks and afterwards.

N1120A

Sat May 28, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
If you guys really think Tom DeLay is a fascist then neither of you know what a fascist is

They absolutely know what a facist is and are completely right about it

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
However, if someone equated me with a constitution circumventing murderer I'd probably be a little pissed myself

Well, sounds about right when it comes to the current powers in the GOP

OK...so whats your threatening of jurists who want the 10 Commandments on display?

You mean telling them that it is against the Constitution to do so? That is not threatening, that is the law

Quoting B757300 (Reply 25):
And if the suspect had been a member of the black panthers a similar group and line had been "Maybe we should put out an APB on anyone wearing a Jesse Jackson or Barack Obama shirt", the outcry from the left would be so insane it would dominate the news for a week. Not only would Law & Order CI be off the air but the lawsuits would be flying left and right.

Man, over and over again you prove that you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about politics, tolerance or anything of the sort.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):

So Ted Kennedy, Tom Daschle, and all of the other left wing wankers are facists

No, they do none of that
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

SRQCrosscheck

Sat May 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 7):
"Trial By Jury " got cancelled....

and damn, it was so good! I love Bebe Neuworth.

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 14):
It seems the ghost of Lenny Briscoe is alive and well

LOL

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
And when did he actually threaten any judge? I want a name.

Well, he's openly pissed at Judge Greer in FL over the Terry Schiavo debacle. Granted, Greer is a state judge and DeLay doesn't have power to do anything about him. Here are the words from his mouth:

DeLay made angry comments March 31, the day Terri Schiavo, a severely brain-damaged woman, died -- two weeks after a court ordered her feeding tube removed at the request of her husband. The congressman argued that federal courts should have intervened to save her.

At the time, DeLay said, "We will look at an arrogant, out-of-control, unaccountable judiciary that thumbed their nose at Congress and the president."

...because Tom DeLay doesn't thumb his nose at the integrity of the judicial branch of government...

Quoting DL021 (Reply 32):
Well....perhaps that is because they never really get any unflattering press...

So I guess the world hearing about your semen on a blue dress isn't unflattering (for Monica even more unflattering, although she was the homewrecker)? Whether or not you think Clinton should have been impeached/removed for obstruction of justice, the media was on that story like white on rice.

And how about all the air time that people who said Terry Schiavo's husband was a monster/murder?

ANCFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 3:04 pm

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 34):
Whether or not you think Clinton should have been impeached/removed for obstruction of justice, the media was on that story like white on rice.

SRQ - personally, what happened between Slick Willie and Monica was their business . . and Hillary's of course . . .

However - you cannot be so naive as to presume the President of the United States gets a blow job in the Oval Office and that isn't gonna hit every network from Dubai to Sydney? C'Mon? We're talking about PotUS here not just anyone. Of course it will hit the news. Bad anaolgy sir.

Hell the President gets a physical and they plaster his vitals on network news . . .

Quoting DL021 (Reply 32):
and the West Wing is a democrat lovefest.

Now that's the truth . . . . .

DeLay made angry comments March 31, the day Terri Schiavo, a severely brain-damaged woman, died -- two weeks after a court ordered her feeding tube removed at the request of her husband. The congressman argued that federal courts should have intervened to save her.

That whole episode is crap. No one had any business in that mess except the family. For it to even get congressional level is nonsense - pure nonsense.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SRQCrosscheck

Sat May 28, 2005 3:20 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
However - you cannot be so naive as to presume the President of the United States gets a blow job in the Oval Office and that isn't gonna hit every network from Dubai to Sydney? C'Mon? We're talking about PotUS here not just anyone. Of course it will hit the news. Bad anaolgy sir.

Hell the President gets a physical and they plaster his vitals on network news . . .

oh, no, i understand why it got press coverage. i'm just asserting that democrats can receive unflattering press. especially in channels owned by Rupert Murdoch (Fox News and NY Post), the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, or any of the myriad of books published by Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. these are probably better/more accurate examples than Clinton's impeachment, but the impeachment was so huge it was the first thing to hit me.

OH!, and how could we forget the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?!

edit: on the swift boat veterans: if a democrat alleged that a Republican's purple heart were of dubious merit, the conservatives would unfetter the horses and horsemen of the apocalypse.

[Edited 2005-05-28 08:25:06]

L-188

Sat May 28, 2005 3:31 pm

At the time, DeLay said, "We will look at an arrogant, out-of-control, unaccountable judiciary that thumbed their nose at Congress and the president."

OK so where is the threat?

I see only a statement of opinion, no matter how based in fact it actually is.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 36):
i'm just asserting that democrats can receive unflattering press. especially in channels owned by Rupert Murdoch (Fox News and NY Post),

Yup, agreed . . . completely.

OH!, and how could we forget the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?!

Well, on that note, I will put on my old GI hat and ask you, simple question: Speaking Swift Boat Vets and their barrage against Kerry . . .

Why is it Bush readily released his entire military record (although, in my opinion not stellar by any stretch) and Kerry refused to sign the SF180 to do the same??? I spent enough time in the military to know, everyone has a few speed bumps in a long military career . . . Kerry didn't have a long military career . . . so with a career that short, why not release the data? WTF? Could there possibly be something amiss? We will never know - Kerry is the only one that can release those documents. Futhermore, what was available on his web site during the campaign suggested he was discharged with a "General Discharge". That is not normal. Although certainly upgrades to honorable by now, what was it only General in the beginning. Simple questions, but valid, Sir. Very valid.

if a democrat alleged that a Republican's purple heart were of dubious merit, the conservatives would unfetter the horses and horsemen of the apocalypse.

Oh yes . . no question.

I'm not going to question the Purple Hearts . . . I wasn't there. Still, release those records Senator Kerry . . . what are you afraid of????

[Edited 2005-05-28 08:48:02]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SRQCrosscheck

Sat May 28, 2005 3:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):
Why isit Bush readily released his entire military tecord (although, in my opinion not stellar by any stretch) and Kerry refused to sign the SF180 to do the same??? I spent enough time in the military to know, everyone has a few speed bumps in a long military career . . . Kerry didn't have a long military career . . . so with a career that short, why not release the data? WTF? Could there possibly be something amiss? We will never know - Kerry is the only one that can release those documents. Futhermore, what was available on his web site during the campaign suggested he was discharged with a "General Discharge". That is not normal. Although certainly upgrades to honorable by now, what was it only General in the beginning. Simple questions, but valid, Sir. Very valid.

These are both very good points and deserve answers... I don't know much about the military at all. Who knows if or what either GWB or Kerry or both are hiding (or anyone for that matter).

good times...  cheerful 

ANCFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 pm

Oh, hey SRQ, welcome aboard A-Net . . . strap in, hold on, there's often CAT in here! LOL

And in case you missed it above. . . I'm one of the "Delay needs to hit the Highway" crowd . . .

[Edited 2005-05-28 08:55:32]

SRQCrosscheck

Sat May 28, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 37):

OK so where is the threat?

I see only a statement of opinion,

This isn't a statement of opinion at all. It's a declarative statement of intention. DeLay definitely has an opinion, and expresses it in the adjectives and figure of speech he uses. But strip that aside and he's *clearly* stating *what he will do* based on an opinion. In the context of his heated language though, that's the threat.

SRQCrosscheck

Sat May 28, 2005 3:56 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
strap in, hold on, there's often CAT in here!

awesome!  box 

tbar220

Sat May 28, 2005 3:57 pm

Delay needs to chill out, the comment was ironic and actually rather smart. I think the comment that Delay made which stirred up the controversy was:

"Mrs. Schiavo's death is a moral poverty and a legal tragedy. This loss happened because our legal system did not protect the people who need protection most, and that will change. The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today. Today we grieve, we pray, and we hope to God this fate never befalls another. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schindlers and with Terri Schiavo's friends in this time of deep sorrow."
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=45102

((bold is emphasis))

If you think that is interesting, look at what Senator John Cornyn said about this issue:

"I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect connection but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country. Certainly nothing new, but we seem to have run through a spate of courthouse violence recently that's been on the news and I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up and builds up to the point where some people engage in - engage in violence." [Senate Floor, 4/4/05]
http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005...-gop-senator-john-cornyn-r-tx.html

Make what you will of those comments, I think they are both out of line, and many other people did as well.

As for those of you calling Delay a fascist, you need to know what a fascist actually is.

The word fascism has come to mean any system of government resembling Mussolini's, that

• exalts nation and sometimes race above the individual
  • uses violence and modern techniques of propaganda and censorship to forcibly suppress political opposition
  • engages in severe economic and social regimentation
  • engages in corporatism
  • implements totalitarianism

Fascism is described as a system in which "The State not only is authority which governs and molds individual wills with laws and values of spiritual life, but it is also power which makes its will prevail abroad.... For the Fascist, everything is within the State and... neither individuals nor groups are outside the State.... For Fascism, the State is an absolute, before which individuals or groups are only relative...."

Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism Its very interesting and takes many sources into account.

For more information on Neo-fascism and its relation to religion, read the following link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neofascism_and_religion
NO URLS in signature

MD-90

Sun May 29, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah, he's a fascist, but so are most all the liberals in Congress, too. Along with the Jacobin neocons.

I can think of only one honest, freedom-loving Congressman: Dr. Ron Paul, R-TX.

nycflyer

Sun May 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey Falcon - very well said here. I fully agree. I take back the Palestine berating I dished out a few weeks ago - you're a good guy after all!  

Except I would also add that anyone who goes to such lengths to influence and gerry-rig his state's congressional districting to the point that SIX different districts intersect in the city of Austin, for the sole purpose of eliminating as many opposition districts as possible, is a fascist.

(edited for content)

[Edited 2005-05-29 11:13:26]

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 45):
Except I would also add that anyone who goes to such lengths to influence and gerry-rig his state's congressional districting to the point that SIX different districts intersect in the city of Austin, for the sole purpose of eliminating as many opposition districts as possible, is a fascist.

Forgot about that one. Yes, that's right, he help Gerrymander the entire state to basically elimainate oppostion on the state level for the GOP. Again, he has no interest in a two-party system. He wants a one-party system, ergo, in my mind, it's another reason he's a fascist.
Work Right, Fly Hard