us330

Hippies-will-get-shot Towns

Sat May 28, 2005 12:56 am

Just for an interesting balance, what towns, cities, or parts of cities, would hippies never go to for fear of losing their life.
My nominee:
Dallas, TX, from the south Highland Park border until the farthest northern suburb.

ACAfan

RE: Hippies-will-get-shot Towns

Sat May 28, 2005 1:06 am

With the exception of Austin, the entire State of Texas.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

DLKAPA

Sat May 28, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 1):

Ahh the safe haven... seriously though Austin is one badass town, the only place I've ever seen rednecks and hippies peacefully coexist.

KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

SLC1

Sat May 28, 2005 1:10 am

LaVerkin, UT

they're a UN-free, gun mandatory zone
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

aa61hvy

Sat May 28, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 2):
Ahh the safe haven... seriously though Austin is one badass town, the only place I've ever seen rednecks and hippies peacefully coexist.

Austin is so-so. Their bars are only decent on one street. 6th street. Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth have much better bar districts and bar scenes. Though Austin is quite weird.
Go big or go home

SSTjumbo

Sat May 28, 2005 1:19 am

Anything west of I-55 and south of I-80, and Lockport, IL.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 1:20 am

Oildale, California
Clovis, California
Yreka, California

These are true redneck towns in rural California. These people are so dumb that some hang the confederate flag claiming it's there heritage.
HELLO, California was a Union State!

I was followed around a thrift shop by the owner with a rifle in Clovis back in 1994.
..and I am not even a hippie!

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:21:15]
Bring back the Concorde

aa61hvy

Sat May 28, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting US330 (Thread starter):
Dallas, TX, from the south Highland Park border until the farthest northern suburb

I live in that region you named, quite honestly it's a pretty open minded area, at least from what I see. Pretty diversified. Alot of Mexicans, Blacks, Asians. So it's a healthy mix of things. You need to go more north east of Dallas to find real bad places.
Go big or go home

MaverickM11

Sat May 28, 2005 1:43 am

My apartment...patchouli and Phish not welcome.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 1:58 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

Sucks to be Phish.  Sad

(dripping with sarcasm)  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

LHMark

Sat May 28, 2005 2:08 am

Gates, Greece, and Irondequoit, NY. The northern suburbs of Rochester. Dose tuff-guy Italiano goombahs don't like no freakin' hippies ovuh heah. Da long hair gets caught in deir gold chains when dey'se kickin der aiss.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Sat May 28, 2005 2:16 am

Irondequoit is not known for its large Dago base, but Greece and Gates is right on. East Rochester on a smaller scale - But they're pussies there anyway.

UAalltheway

Sat May 28, 2005 2:17 am

Some of the parks in east los angeles. lol.

texan

Sat May 28, 2005 2:49 am

Highland Park and University Park in Dallas are pretty darn anti-hippie. Dallas itself, however, voted 51% Bush 49% Kerry in 2004! Midland, Texas on the other hand, even though I like the town, liberals and hippies are not welcome. Nor in Sugarland or Katy, Texas down in the Houston area. Or Tyler, Longview, or Marshall. Or Muscogee or McAlester, Oklahoma. Or Southern Missouri. Or parts of Illinois along the freeways to Kentucky.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 13):
Midland, Texas on the other hand, even though I like the town, liberals and hippies are not welcome.

Isn't that the town whare that little girl fell in to a well and was trapped for like a week?
Bring back the Concorde

theCoz

Sat May 28, 2005 3:05 am

I could imagine Pyŏngyang, North Korea wouldn't be too tolerant with hippies.

That and Tehran, Iran.

tristarenvy

Sat May 28, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 13):
Sugarland

I grew up in Sugar Land, and I remember the police there taking a very dim view of "hippy folk" passing thru town. Of course being a pretty up-tight "company" town, this wouldn't be to surprising.

'Fly, yeah, Jessica some-thing-or-other, fell in a well around the Midland area....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

SLC1

Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 15):
I could imagine Py?ngyang, North Korea wouldn't be too tolerant with hippies.

They're commies though, so that's a start.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 3:23 am

SLC1
If you know anything about hippies, there ideals are totally different than a totalitarian dictatorship.
Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00

Sat May 28, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
These are true redneck towns in rural California. These people are so dumb that some hang the confederate flag claiming it's there heritage.

HAHA. I have seen one of these too. I think around where I live, it would have to be Norco, CA. Not all of it, but the parts that are North of 6th street. It looks like the 1930s there. I had to take my brother to a park around there for volunteering there and like Superfly said, I saw houses there with Confederate flags hung out. Not comforting for a non-white person, let alone a hippy.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

L-188

Sat May 28, 2005 3:38 am

Hippies have no place to fear in this country.

Fact is that the people that are put down as "Rednecks" by the left wingers are usually the most open minded people out here, and interested in different cultures and ideas.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 3:53 am

L-188:
I certainly don't like to throw the 'redneck' term around but if they are waving a confederate flag, chances are they are a redneck. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

SLC1

Sat May 28, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
If you know anything about hippies, their ideals are totally different than a totalitarian dictatorship.

well ya, obviously, I was just saying, they have SOMETHING in common

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 4:08 am

SLC1:
Hippies have a lot more in common with 'rednecks' than with the North Korean government.
Bring back the Concorde

us330

Sat May 28, 2005 4:38 am

AA61Hvy:
I grew up five minutes north of highland park. HP and the area of Dallas directly north of HP, the area home to the North Dallas Prep School bubbles, is pretty damn conservative. I admit that the Dallas side is at least slowly diversifying, which is probably due the presence of a healthy amount of democratic-voting Jews. During the 50's-70's the area around Hillcrest high school was the center of Dallas' jewish population, and there is still a significant remnant of the original population, even though Dallas' jewish center has moved northward into Richardson.

garnetpalmetto

Sat May 28, 2005 5:01 am

The entire state of South Carolina, except for Charleston, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

MD11Engineer

Sat May 28, 2005 5:21 am

Funny thing, back in the late 80s, I looked like a hippy (long hair tied up in a ponytail, long beard, boots, torn jeans, old M65 field jacket), and whenever I went to East Berlin, I got stopped and strip searched by the East German Communist border guards.I Communist east Germany you couldn´t go into a restaurant without wearing a proper suit and neck tie. Hippies are absolutely disliked by communist (stalinist) dictatorships.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ilikeyyc

Sat May 28, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Isn't that the town whare that little girl fell in to a well and was trapped for like a week?

Quoting TriStarEnvy (Reply 16):
'Fly, yeah, Jessica some-thing-or-other, fell in a well around the Midland area....

Jessica McClure is her name. Happened in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_McClure
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

tbar220

Sat May 28, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
I was followed around a thrift shop by the owner with a rifle in Clovis back in 1994.
..and I am not even a hippie!

Maybe he suspected you were an A-rahb, with your dark skin and all...

j/k j/k
NO URLS in signature

senorcarnival

Sat May 28, 2005 6:57 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 4):

Austin is so-so. Their bars are only decent on one street. 6th street.

That's partially true. Downtown bars break down like this:
-6th Street is the college bar street, official party street. If you turn 21 while in Austin, the 6th St. bars will hook you up with free drinks, 4th St. bars won't.
-4th is the "grown up" version of 6th. More adults (25-40 age range) than 18 year olds or 16 year olds with fake IDs.
Also, if you live here, you can always find some hole in the wall gems like Crown and Anchor, near the UT Law School or even Trudy's has a pretty good bar, and even better restaurant.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

N1120A

Sat May 28, 2005 7:49 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

You forgot girls Big grin
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

102IAHexpress

Sat May 28, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 1):

Hippies in Austin? Yeah right  Yeah sure . Austin is filled with yuppies; young urban professionals. Or at least it’s filled with wanabe yuppies. UT-Austin has some hippies, but in the summer time they all go back to Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.

texdravid

Sat May 28, 2005 1:16 pm

Victoria, Texas

It's about 130 miles south of Houston on U.S. 59.

People here just don't like Democrats, they would like to shoot them.
People here just don't like minorities, they would like to shoot them.
People here think Christianity is the one and only religion.
People here think 22 is too old to get married and way too old to have children.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Texdravid:
I know a model who is very beautiful from Vanderbuild which just right out side of Victoria. She told me some horror stories about being Black and living in that part of Texas.
What a shame Congressman Ron Paul represents a district full of low lifes. He is one of the few Republicans I can respect. I am glad he defeated turncoat Greg Laughlin in the 1996 GOP Primaries.
Keep in mind Greg Laughlin was a conservative Democrat that represented that district for many years.
Bring back the Concorde

StevenUhl777

Sun May 29, 2005 8:05 am

Anywhere in the United States that lies 20 miles or farther outside a major city.

When JR Rider played for the Portland Trailblazers (NBA) he made an ignorant comment (one of MANY by that loser) that if he went outside the city limits in Oregon, the KKK would hang him. What a moron. There's just as many hippies and liberals on the Oregon coast, well outside Portland city limits. Now southern Oregon, that's a different story...
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

lowrider

Sun May 29, 2005 8:31 am

What a load of self-pitying crap we have here. Do your maps include the label "Here there be monsters" over large portions of the US? I can think of parts of Detriot, Cincinatti, Chicago, and DC which may not be the safest for anyone to visit, but statements such as "anywhere in the United States that lies 20 miles or farther outside a major city" are so ignorant and ridiculous it is hard to know where to start. The fact is, the odds of you getting shot, or even harmed over political views anywhere in the US are so low they could be considered insignificant. People may find other reasons to do harm to you, such as robery, but the length of your hair will probably not be a determining factor. All this "red state/blue state" angst is artificially generated bull. The very premise of the thread makes about as much sense as an Aryan Nation rally in Baltimore.

The US was meant to have a large amount of variation within its borders. People may disagree with you, and if you let the do so and go thier way, you will have few problems. If you cannot cope with the idea that some of your fellow citizens will hold tightly to radically different views from your own, you are in for a lifetime of stress.
Proud OOTSK member

allstarflyer

Sun May 29, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting SSTjumbo (Reply 5):
Anything west of I-55 and south of I-80, and Lockport, IL.

I think it's farther south, though, that Boers and Bernstein (WSCR - The Score) reference when they call downstate folks a bunch of "toothless inbreeds" (totally inaccurate, but hilarious) - but I've seen hippie types that way.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
The entire state of South Carolina, except for Charleston, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach.

Nobody close to the coast cares for the Upstate. He's right, though - if it's an area that, say, is out of range of WORD radio (the closest station they have to intelligent adult programming), then it's probably unfriendly territory for hippies.

-R
Living the American Dream

BA747400

Sun May 29, 2005 2:02 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 34):
Anywhere in the United States that lies 20 miles or farther outside a major city.

I live 40 miles outside of BOS, and, well, my entire school WAS hippies.....

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Washington DC!! LOL  Smile

nycflyer

Sun May 29, 2005 5:56 pm

my vote would be far-eastern Tennessee, Sevier and Blount Counties, and probably some other adjacent ones. That is one seriously redneck part of the country (home to the classy destinations of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg). PF and G'burg themselves would actually be considered cosmopolitan by East Tennessee standards, but even I, - a white Christian Yankee in a rented Taurus - felt pretty uncomfortable at the stares I got in many of the mountain backroads there.

SSTjumbo

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 36):
I think it's farther south, though, that Boers and Bernstein (WSCR - The Score) reference when they call downstate folks a bunch of "toothless inbreeds" (totally inaccurate, but hilarious) - but I've seen hippie types that way.

After I-80 and I-55, it slowly becomes redneck territory, then it really becomes redneck territory unless you're in a college town. In Dwight, IL, I actually saw a 15 year old pop-chick in a McD's along the freeway who's father ended up being a toothless inbreed.  Wow!

However, south of Peoria, IL, is probably the strongest of the hick areas. The only places that aren't in ruins are bars, and the only vehicles built past year 1990 there are pickup trucks. You don't want to know the outlook on the people I saw attending a funeral there.  scared 
I don't know, so this is my signature.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:09 pm

"You forgot girls "

On very rare occassions...only if they have a visa and an invitation...and by visa I mean a bottle of liquor.
E pur si muove -Galileo

pilotsmoe

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:41 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 38):
my vote would be far-eastern Tennessee, Sevier and Blount Counties, and probably some other adjacent ones. That is one seriously redneck part of the country (home to the classy destinations of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg). PF and G'burg themselves would actually be considered cosmopolitan by East Tennessee standards, but even I, - a white Christian Yankee in a rented Taurus - felt pretty uncomfortable at the stares I got in many of the mountain backroads there.

What? The rental place didn't have a beat up '86 chevy pickup with gunracks?  fight