United Airline
Topic Author

Do You Drink Tap Water?

Tue May 31, 2005 8:46 am

Sometimes when I am lazy to boil water, not in Hong Kong though, though we can.

You?

ArmitageShanks

RE: Do You Drink Tap Water?

Tue May 31, 2005 8:49 am

That's the only kind of water I drink. I'd never pay for water unless I'm somewhere where it's not safe to drink.

misbeehavin

Tue May 31, 2005 8:51 am

I drink bottled water at home. Not because I think the tap water is unsafe, but because I don't like the taste of it. At work, the fountain water tastes just fine, so I drink it without a problem.

NIKV69

Tue May 31, 2005 8:57 am

If it isn't AquaFina or Poland Spring I am not drinking it!  yuck 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Shamrock_747

Tue May 31, 2005 9:04 am

Yes, about 2 litres a day.

dragon-wings

Tue May 31, 2005 9:06 am

Yes, but only when it's filtered.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ZRH

Tue May 31, 2005 9:06 am

Of course! Here in Switzerland the tap water is better than a lot of bottled water (there is absolutely no chlorine in it, like for example in NYC). Water here is very clean. The water of the lake of Zurich you could almost drink without much cleaning and disinfecting (it also great to swim in it  )

[Edited 2005-05-31 02:07:35]

trekster

Tue May 31, 2005 9:07 am

Naa, only in tea.

I nick the water from work. Its FREZZING cold, and tastes nice
Where does the time go???

SouthwestMDW

Tue May 31, 2005 9:12 am

I have to drink bottled water, I can't drink the water in my city. By Next Spring they are saying we will be able to drink it, they are building a more advanced treatment center.

Sabena332

Tue May 31, 2005 9:16 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 6):
Of course! Here in Switzerland the tap water is better than a lot of bottled water (there is absolutely no chlorine in it, like for example in NYC). Water here is very clean.

Same here in Germany, tap water is absolutely clean here and better than some bottled water, so I drink it quite often.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

PacificWestern

Tue May 31, 2005 9:23 am

deleted as it may be considered flame bait or harsh

[Edited 2005-05-31 02:45:52]

theCoz

Tue May 31, 2005 9:28 am

Tap water here in Phoenix is horrible. The odor is enough to turn my stomach. It's a bit along the lines of pool water...literally.

When I'm out of bottled water, I will always go to the store to pick up another couple gallons of water instead of go to the tap, no matter how inconvenient it may be.

The best water I have had would probably be in Nova Scotia, Canada. No need for bottled water there.

ANCFlyer

Tue May 31, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting PacificWestern (Reply 10):
NO. My mommy still breast feeds me so I don't need tap water.

Signed,
A certain A.netter in Florida

rotfl 

Oh, water, yes, tap water . . .

Yes, I drink the water in Anchorage. It's some of the cleanest in the world. EPA requires cities to "clean" a certain amount of contaminants, etc from city tap water during the filtration process. . . the water is so clean here it's not possible to do that - Anchorage always exceeds EPA and other health standards for it's water.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

FriendlySkies

Tue May 31, 2005 9:40 am

I use a water filter, but the water is tap...I think bottled water is just a wild scam and a ripoff.

Springbok747

Tue May 31, 2005 9:51 am

I only drink tap water. Bottled water is just too expensive and basically the same thing.
אני תומך בישראל

Logan22L

Tue May 31, 2005 10:03 am

Just so you all know, my job is to provide technical support to EPA for tap water regulation in the U.S. A few points:

Municipal water (i.e., water that is provided by a town or city system) is highly regulated here in the U.S. Unfortunately, private wells cannot be regulated in a similar fashion, as you may recognize the impracticality of this.

I recommend that if you drink water from a private well, please consider sending tap water samples to an accredited lab that is proficient in the analysis of drinking water.

As for municipal water, as TheCoz says, sometimes the water tastes like shit, even if it is OK for you. Usually, it is because there is a high percentage or liklihood of bacterial contamination that requires this kind of disinfection. EPA and municipalities are working to develop other means of disinfection to reduce taste issues, but, of course, there are cost implications. Other taste issues arise from natural formations that contain sulfur and other deposits, or surface waters that contain 2-methylisoborneol and geosmin (taste indicator compounds). Often, these are formed by natural decomposition of leaves, etc. in source waters. Again, I and many, many others are working on this.

As for bottled water, it MAY be cleaner, or it may not. It MAY taste better, but taste does not guarantee quality. There are fewer regulations on bottled water than there are on Municipal tap water.

I'm workin' for you guys.  

Logan

[Edited 2005-05-31 03:16:10]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

looneytoon

Tue May 31, 2005 10:10 am

I don't like the taste of tap water unless I am either in the US or South Africa. On occasion I drink tap water here (Asuncion, Paraguay) but it isnt reccomended, hasnt made me sick yet!
LooneyToon

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 10:14 am

Tap water in Hong Kong is 100% drinkable. It is up to world class standards. But I don't trust the tanks, pipes etc.......

What about Sydney, Singapore, London, New York etc? Is tap water drinkable in these cities?

Logan22L

Tue May 31, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 17):
But I don't trust the tanks, pipes etc.......

You know, UA, that's a very good point. Here in the U.S., water is tested thorougly at the source (i.e., the water treatment plant), but there are limitations on how much the post-pipe water can be tested. One regulation we have is the lead and copper rule, which requires testing for lead and copper in targeted areas. Lead is an extreme toxin that comes from old piping (here in the U.S., only in older areas or from solder on slightly older copper piping; copper is less of a problem, but has asthetic issues and taste issues). Actually, Beacon Hill is a very old area of the City of Boston, and there are lead issues there. However, since excavation of lead piping in this very hilly and cramped are of downtown Boston is impractical (not to mention undesireable to the rich bastards who live there), the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) adds sodium carbonate to the water to raise the pH of the water to ~9, to minimize leaching of lead from pipes. Everyone in MA pays for this, BTW.

Other than this, though, I wouldn't worry too much about pipes, as much of the deposition is calcium/iron-based, etc. As long as the source water is clean, and lead and copper aren't an issue, you should be OK in terms of piping.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 am

But can we trust the tanks 100%?

Not sure about other countries. But in Hong Kong, most people live in high rise (40-80+ floors). We are not 100% sure whether or not the tanks are clean and how often they clean them.

Do they clean the pipes from time to time? Are they really that clean?

Better boil the water before you drink........

OzLAME

Tue May 31, 2005 10:32 am

I am perfectly happy to drink tap water anywhere. I grew up on a sheep station where we drank unfiltered 'rain water' from a corrugated metal tank that was probably full of various organisms and had mosquito larvae and frogs living in it. During a severe drought in the early 1980s we ran out of rain water for several months and drank water pumped from a nearby "tank", which was a big hole dug in the ground, situated to collect run-off from the pastures. God only knows what was in it, but it was the colour of tea with milk and sheep had died in it.
A few years ago we had a water-quality alert here in Sydney; everyone was told to boil their water before drinking as there were giardia and cryptosporidium in it. I didn't bother, I figured that I probably had drunk much worse already.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

AzoresLover

Tue May 31, 2005 10:35 am

I never drink tap water. I love good, cold, clear, refreshing pure water, but it is hard to find. Even bottled waters vary greatly, and many have a noticeable taste that I don't like.

But I have found one that is perfect, IMO. My fridge is always full of it, and I drink nothing else when at home: FIJI WATER!!!!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

A340600

Tue May 31, 2005 10:36 am

Yep, only water I drink, don't see why I should have to pay for water unless its dangerous to drink out of the tap in a particular area,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

NZ747

Tue May 31, 2005 10:41 am

Where I live at uni, the tap water tastes bad, and isn't even clear. So I just buy bottled water. However, most people here drink tap water.

SLC1

Tue May 31, 2005 10:49 am

The water at the dorms at UW really tastes like shit, and at home to be quite honest, but after running it through a Brita filter I drink it.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 10:50 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 18):
You know, UA, that's a very good point. Here in the U.S., water is tested thorougly at the source (i.e., the water treatment plant), but there are limitations on how much the post-pipe water can be tested.

I dunno... I've had someone from my city come and ask for a water sample from my kitchen sink.

Tap water is just about all I drink. My local water system doesn't seem to taste or smell funny (or atleast I don't notice it), it's flourinated, and I'd rather not waste the money and resources to purchase botteled.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 24):
The water at the dorms at UW really tastes like shit, and at home to be quite honest, but after running it through a Brita filter I drink it.

I agree!!!! Even my dorm too!

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 25):
Tap water is just about all I drink. My local water system doesn't seem to taste or smell funny (or atleast I don't notice it), it's flourinated, and I'd rather not waste the money and resources to purchase botteled.

I seldom purchase bottled water unless I feel thirsty when I am at the town....

Do you boil it first? I do sometimes.

garnetpalmetto

Tue May 31, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
If it isn't AquaFina

You do realize that Aquafina comes from municipal tap water sources near Pepsi bottling plants, right?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

jfkaua

Tue May 31, 2005 11:40 am

has anyone seen thats news report where they compared like a 1000 dollar ultra violet something something filtration system against water from a janitors sink... and well Im sure you know which one was cleaner...

flymia

Tue May 31, 2005 12:08 pm

Yea I drink mostly tap. Will drink bottled water always unless I am in Canada the USA or The Bahamas.
Will buy bottled water once in a while.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TPASXM787

Tue May 31, 2005 12:11 pm

Definately bottled. Our tap water tastes like crap. I guess it's good if you like large chunks of dirt floating in your water. If not, go bottled.
This is the Last Stop.

NIKV69

Tue May 31, 2005 12:19 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 27):
You do realize that Aquafina comes from municipal tap water sources near Pepsi bottling plants, right?

It still tastes the best as far as all bottled water goes!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

LambertSTL777

Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 pm

Quoting AzoresLover (Reply 21):
But I have found one that is perfect, IMO. My fridge is always full of it, and I drink nothing else when at home: FIJI WATER!!!!

Please tell me how many teeth you have left? Watch out, Fiji Water doesn't contain any added flouride which some other bottled waters and all tap water in the U.S. do/does. That's part of the reason many country-hoosiers are missing teeth. Not only do they not brush them, but there's no added flouride in the well-water..
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

Airlinerfreak

Tue May 31, 2005 12:24 pm

I would probably die of some poisoning if I drank the tap water here in L.A.

gigneil

Tue May 31, 2005 12:25 pm

I pass tap water through a Pur filter here at the house before drinking it. I just prefer the taste of water after I filter it.

DC has had some water contamination problems, but it doesn't really scare me. I mean, I'll drink the water right from the tap if its 0400 and the bathroom is as far as I can make it.

When out in public, I drink water from a bottle. I don't care for water fountains (I know for absolute certain they aren't clean) and its really quite convenient.

N

ANCFlyer

Tue May 31, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 15):
I'm workin' for you guys.

An unappreciated field of endeavor - wonder how many folks know what it takes to get and maintain clean water?

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 18):
As long as the source water is clean, and lead and copper aren't an issue, you should be OK in terms of piping.

Since we're talking of plumbing . . . what about PVC or other such non-metallic supply piping?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

gigneil

Tue May 31, 2005 12:33 pm

There are still parts of DC that transport water in wooden aqueducts.  Smile

N

CanadianNorth

Tue May 31, 2005 12:36 pm

I drink it all the time. Sometimes when travelling I use the bottled stuff, and to be honest I can't tell the diff in taste between bottled water and our tap water, so I'm assuming Whitehorse has pretty decent water.

CanadianNorth
Way to go, nice and slow, never late, 748!

vaporlock

Tue May 31, 2005 12:39 pm

I always drink bottled water....it is so cheap to buy and tap water tastes like crap!

Phyllis  bouncy 

Falcon84

Tue May 31, 2005 12:40 pm

Been drinking tap water all my life.

The only city I haven't been able to drink it in was St. Joseph, MO, my wife's hometown. Their water left a film over everything. Really gross.

Most tap water in the U.S. is very drinkable.
Work Right, Fly Hard

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 12:46 pm

What about Australia and Singapore?

monteycarlos

Tue May 31, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 14):
I only drink tap water. Bottled water is just too expensive and basically the same thing.

Interestingly enough, Melbourne water (straight from the tap) is actually bottled and exported. Its very good because of its natural levels of mineral concentrations. But many other places in the world are the same (i.e. Switzerland and parts of France).

If I am drinking water (and a rare event it is) I drink a mixture of both. Bottles when a tap is not readily available and tap water whenever available. Where I work, bottled water costs AU$3.30 per 600ml and AU$4.20 per 750ml. Just not worth paying for. Supermarkets are cheaper but thats because of volume etc. The price is a major source of complaints, and most people say "$4.20 for water! You're kidding! It's just water!" and we always tell them that they have a choice to buy water elsewhere or go find a tap. They're never happy.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 17):
What about Sydney, Singapore, London, New York etc? Is tap water drinkable in these cities?

Sydney had a few water scares, but safe to drink... honestly I'll drink it anywhere as long as it isn't discoloured. Its the bugs that make your immune system stronger! hehe.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

gigneil

Tue May 31, 2005 12:54 pm

No matter how good the water is in another first world country, don't drink it.

Whenever travelling, even from Singapore, or the UK, or France or Gemany to the US or anywhere else, drink bottled water. The differing flora in the water can still fuck your stomach up.

N

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 1:17 pm

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 41):
Sydney had a few water scares, but safe to drink... honestly I'll drink it anywhere as long as it isn't discoloured. Its the bugs that make your immune system stronger! hehe.

Well said! Sydney should be ok. I normally drink from the tap when I am lazy. Never got sick before (It tastes strange though)

I normally drink bottled water when I go to China, Malaysia and a few Eastern/Southern European Countries......

Some bottled water are expensive in Hong Kong especially Perrier. Seldom buy them

Mexicana757

Tue May 31, 2005 1:31 pm

Yes  bouncy 
filler
filler.................filler

jcs17

Tue May 31, 2005 2:23 pm

Depends. If I've been too lazy to buy some bottled water and throw it in the fridge, then yes, I'll drink tap water. I don't necessarily mind the taste of tap water, it's just that in our fraternity house the plumbing is pretty messed up so you have to wait for five minutes before you can get cold water (yes, our toilet water is warm, hot in the Winter, too).
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mrniji

Tue May 31, 2005 2:46 pm

I do take tap water if nothing else is available, but prefer bottled water, no matter where I am.. Here in Delhi it is OK, but some other places in India I would avoid taking tap water - not the bacteria etc is raising concern, but often the supply tpipes are full of lead, copper etc, that is harmful in the long term.. anyways, I will have to out myself: "Germany gave me the attitute go go for sparkling water anywhere I can"  Wink - it tasts lovely
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

NZ747

Tue May 31, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting LambertSTL777 (Reply 32):
Quoting AzoresLover (Reply 21):

Please tell me how many teeth you have left? Watch out, Fiji Water doesn't contain any added flouride which some other bottled waters and all tap water in the U.S. do/does. That's part of the reason many country-hoosiers are missing teeth. Not only do they not brush them, but there's no added flouride in the well-water..

Fiji Water has a hidden ingredient that gives that subtle after taste  Wink. Who cares if it has no fluoride, If you brush your teeth you should be fine, If you don't brush your teeth, then they deserve to decay.

It is the best water, maybe because I get it for free. Big grin

ANCFlyer

Tue May 31, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 45):
yes, our toilet water is warm, hot in the Winter, too).

Are you drinking water out of your shitter JCS?  biggrin 

kalakaua

Tue May 31, 2005 3:00 pm

Hawaiian tap water is always awesome... Now water that comes from mountain dikes. Awesome...

Arizona, especially Phoenix... As mentioned by TheCo, it's horrible. Eww... Can't stand to think about it.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.