NWADC9
Topic Author

Why Are Blacks Black?

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:17 am

All in the title. Now, this is not to be a racist thread, so here me out on this. Why are African's, Hispanics, Indians, and others brown-black instead of peach-white? Is it just a coincidence?
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Newark777

RE: Why Are Blacks Black?

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:20 am

Closer to the equator = darker skin. It's called evolution.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
Closer to the equator = darker skin. It's called evolution.

Its also called melanin.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:59 am

Your genetic phenotype determins how much melanin your skin produces. Melanin is a chemical produced by the body in everyone but albinos, and it contributes to the UV sheilding properties of your skin. This is why someone with dark skin sunburns slower than someone from Ireland who will be peeling in a few hours.  Wink

Until the neolithic age, when we started to get our heads out of our asses, the amount of melanin your body produced could mean the difference between life or death if you lived near the equator. You had to have it or you would be sunburned into oblivion. If you lived in Scandanavia at the time, melanin wasn't that important as you recieved little direct sunlight.

Skin pigment isn't as necessary for survival today, though it is convienient and attractive (to some people), however your genetic phenotype just can't forget how to produce whatever quantity of melanin you produce.

Genetics are a weird stuff, everyone in my family sunburns really easily but I tan rather well.

ACDC8

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
Closer to the equator = darker skin

What about Eskimos?  Wink
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

DfwRevolution

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
What about Eskimos?

I'm going out on a limb here... but I'd venture a guess that when the people from Mongolia uped and decided to follow the big frickin whatever-they-ate across the landbridge into North America, a few stopped along the way and set-up shop in Alaska and Canada.

Human DNA takes for-frickin-ever to change traits, so they just kept their central Asian skin pigment despite not needing it as much.

dl021

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
What about Eskimos?

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 5):
I'm going out on a limb here... but I'd venture a guess that when the people from Mongolia uped and decided to follow the big frickin whatever-they-ate across the landbridge into North America, a few stopped along the way and set-up shop in Alaska and Canada.

Perhaps because their skin required less adaptation due to the fact that it was generally well covered, whereas the peoples inhabiting the equatorial and warmer climes wore, and still wear in pre-industrial cultures that remain to this day, less clothes because their culture never developed the need to warm up the body temperature. That and the fact that they migrated much later in their evolutionary cycle. Skin pigmentation trends developed differently at a much earlier period of human development than the theorized migration across the Bering Straights....which has recently, through genetic testing, been postulated to be a very small number of individuals who crossed and began populating the continent.....which leads to some very interesting questions for another thread.

[Edited 2005-06-01 05:21:23]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

SLC1

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:34 pm

This has a lot to do with Vitamin D as well as sunburn, sunlight stimulates Vitamin D production, so in order to regulate how much Vit. D is produced, your skin adjusts melanin level. People with darker skin, who live in areas where more skin is exposed have less reaction to Vit. D than the more heavily-clothed peoples further from the equator who would at the equator be at a selective disadvantage by overproduction of Vit. D. This helps to explain why Black People didn't evolve in Scandinavia.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

prosa

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:00 pm

The Sun exposure = dark skin rule sometimes needs to be qualified a bit. African groups that lived deep in the equatorial rain forest were just as dark as any other Africans even though they were exposed to relatively little sunlight. The now-extinct Tasmanians had black skin even though they lived in a temperate, often cloudy climate. In both cases, the groups probably migrated from more Sun-exposed areas.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

N1120A

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:39 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 3):
Your genetic phenotype determins how much melanin your skin produces.

Wow Rev, I am impressed by the use of those words in Texas outside of Austin. Just kidding
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

September11

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:08 pm

Very cool ...

I always wanted to know why do black people have bigger nose than others? (why did Micheal Jackson have nose surgery)

[Edited 2005-06-01 15:26:18]
Airliners.net of the Future

alberchico

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:59 pm

''Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
Closer to the equator = darker skin. It's called evolution.''

It's the result of years of living under the sun. Notice that blacks all come from hot dry countries ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:11 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 11):
Notice that blacks all come from hot dry countries ?

Funny, I had no clue that the Great Lakes region of Africa was "dry"
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

VC10BOAC

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 10):
I always wanted to know why do black people have bigger nose than others? (why did Micheal Jackson have nose surgery

Well, I am "black" and I have seen many Caucasians with honkers much larger than mine. Different ethnic groups just tend to have different features, (shape of nose, eyes, ect) which could probably be attributed to several factors, genetics likely playing the greatest role.

As for the Michael Jackson question, the answer is that he is weird, misguided and is no rocket scientist.. I believe that he was trying to change the shape of his nose (among other things) and transformed himself from a "black" man to a "God knows what color, God knows what sex" freak.

SLC1

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 pm

Large noses and longer limbs in comparison to the body are a selective advantage in warmer climates, as opposed to small noses and stubby limbs found in populations that evolved in colder climates.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

SAS_A330-300

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting SLC1 (Reply 7):
This has a lot to do with Vitamin D as well as sunburn, sunlight stimulates Vitamin D production, so in order to regulate how much Vit. D is produced, your skin adjusts melanin level. People with darker skin, who live in areas where more skin is exposed have less reaction to Vit. D than the more heavily-clothed peoples further from the equator who would at the equator be at a selective disadvantage by overproduction of Vit. D. This helps to explain why Black People didn't evolve in Scandinavia.

Strange. Also at the time it's funny that mention Scandinavia as an example because it's one of few places in the world where you drink milk more or less every day until you die. Milk also contains Vitamin D. A known joke over here why the indians never the vikings settle down in America 1000 years ago was because the vikings offered them milk but the indians were lactose-intolerant and thought it was some kind of poison and chased them away.  Wink

Quoting PROSA (Reply 8):
The Sun exposure = dark skin rule sometimes needs to be qualified a bit. African groups that lived deep in the equatorial rain forest were just as dark as any other Africans even though they were exposed to relatively little sunlight. The now-extinct Tasmanians had black skin even though they lived in a temperate, often cloudy climate. In both cases, the groups probably migrated from more Sun-exposed areas

It's also called UV-light (Ultra-violet). Snow reflects 80% of all rays, sand 25% and water 10%. Even on cloudy day you'll be exposed to about 50%.
The high percentage of reflection of snow might explain why Eskimos has a bit dark skin. Also, the ozone-hole has recently increased over both poles.
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

jaysit

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:09 am

What about Eskimos?

Those you called Eskimos originally evolved from Asian-Pacific racial groups. Thus, the darker skin. Also, six months of sunlight in thinner atmosphere with less UV protection enhances the production of melanin.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

SRQCrosscheck

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:49 am

you should be asking why everyone isn't black like sub-saharan africans. homo sapiens evolved in east africa, spread throughout africa, and then were replaced in another wave of emigration of homo sapiens that also spread out of Africa perhaps as early as 50-30 k years ago.

All of the below is also at this website

Darker tones of skin are an adaptation to the intense UV sunlight of the equitorial regions of the earth. the epigenetic genes (there are only 6 known genes that influence skin color!) were selected in these populations for darker skin. Each shade of skin is a balance to provide adequate protection from UV rays. As you deviate from the equator, skin tone changes to achieve the right balance of vitamin D production and UV protection (lighter tones provide less protection, but since there is less intense UV light far from the equator, you need to be exposed to more UV to produce the same amount of Vit. D). Additionally, very dark skin tones seek to prevent too much intense UV absorbtion because too much UV light also interferes with the production of folic acid.

Apparently, the "default" skin tone is about that of native Ethiopians and Khosians. (hmm... i'm not sure how this source determined that... how could their be a "default" if all skin tones are adaptive "defaults" for a certain region?)

There are other complications though. Native south americans weren't as dark as they "should" have been given their proximity to the equator. It's been speculated that this is because native americans were originally from northeast asia, which "lightened" their skin tone. since skin tone is an epigenetic trait (many genes are involved), perhaps the right combo could not be reattained due to previous selection for lighter skin (while in northeast asia).

Also, if your diet includes a lot of vitamin D from sources like meat and fish (rather than grain), your skin tone will be a little darker. You can "afford" the extra protection against UV absorbtion, since you don't need the vitamin D produced by the UV absorbtion through the skin. Thus, the Inuits, other Native North Americans, and Mongols have darker skin.

Milk is fortified with vitamin D (it doesn't contain it naturally like fish/meat does) to supplement the diets of people who live at very high latitudes. There is documented evidence that people of african decent who live at high latitudes are vit D deficient, particularly during the winter months. (this is really interesting from a public health perspective)

[Edited 2005-06-01 19:55:37]

brettbrett21

Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:41 am

Wouldn't it make more ''sense'' for people in hotter climates to have lighter skin so that the dark skin doesn't absorb the heat. For this you have to ignore sunburn completely...but maybe something evolution can work on in the future!!
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

nworlnsbearcub

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting Brettbrett21 (Reply 18):
Wouldn't it make more ''sense'' for people in hotter climates to have lighter skin so that the dark skin doesn't absorb the heat

Nope. Maybe for the sake of 'heat' , but dark skin tends to be less prone to sun damage...
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

AR1300

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:55 am

God created them that way?  Wink

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

erikwilliam

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 pm

the true question shouldn´t be, why blacks are black, but, why do we have 5 fingers?why do we have 32teeths?

on a serious response, because they came from a hot hot place, and the sun really hurts the skin, that means, that a darker skin is more protected from the sun.
On the other hand, white people that live in the northern places, don´t have that much contact with the sun, that means that the body doesn´t produces melalanin, so the skin gets wither. and so it goes.....
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

redngold

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:10 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 2):
Its also called melanin.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 3):
Skin pigment isn't as necessary for survival today, though it is convienient and attractive (to some people), however your genetic phenotype just can't forget how to produce whatever quantity of melanin you produce.

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 21):
On the other hand, white people that live in the northern places, don´t have that much contact with the sun, that means that the body doesn´t produces melalanin, so the skin gets wither. and so it goes.....

Ahhh, the farce of trying to explain melanin.

Gentlemen, I hate to contradict you, but all humans have the same amount of melanin in their skin! That's right, black or white or somewhere in between, the melanin content is exactly the same.

The difference is the CONFIGURATION of the melanin - two or three dimensional. If I remember correctly from Anatomy & Physiology class, lighter skinned people have melanin lying in flat sheets deeper in the skin, while darker skinned people have melanin closer to the surface and in "stacks."

Excitation of the melanin molecule can cause it to change configuration, which is why we can get tan from being out in the sun.
Up, up and away!

iakobos

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:17 pm

It is all understandable for the differences in skin color, but why are their genitals so astonishingly big ?  frown 

Signed GKirk

TACAA320

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:20 pm

"Closer to the equator = darker skin. It's called evolution."

Evolution?????
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

September11

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:36 pm

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 23):
but why are their genitals so astonishingly big ?

very true ......... I have no clue as to why their genitals (generally speaking) so astonishgly big ... blonde go-go girls love them, lol ...
Airliners.net of the Future

jaysit

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:44 pm

It is all understandable for the differences in skin color, but why are their genitals so astonishingly big ?

Makes fighting lions and cheetahs easier. You can use it as a sword.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

erikwilliam

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 22):

really sure about that reddy?
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

captaink

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:53 am

I am black, but I am pretty averaged sized in the penal area... (whatever average is) LOL.. I do know people of other ethnicities who are pretty well endowed. So is it, that black people being always being well endowed is a myth?
There is something special about planes....

erikwilliam

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:53 am

Captaink: thank you very much for sharing this very illustrative piece of information related to the penal size.
I personnaly love talking about it

signed,

VC10BOAC

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 28):
am black, but I am pretty averaged sized in the penal area... (whatever average is) LOL.. I do know people of other ethnicities who are pretty well endowed. So is it, that black people being always being well endowed is a myth?

No Sir, it is no myth. You need to check and see where your genes came from!!

captaink

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:59 am

LOL maybe I do need to check the genes.. But I guarantee that not all black people are huge..  Smile
There is something special about planes....

redngold

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 27):

really sure about that reddy?

You asked for it:

http://www.avrocos.com/skin/skincolor.html
In fact, the number of melanin cells is the same is the same in all races, however melanin cells of darkly pigmented skin have thicker, longer and branched dendrites. The differences in racial skin pigmentation depend on the quantity of melanin pigments produced and on the distribution and the deposition of these pigments throughout the epidermis.

http://www.as.ua.edu/ant/bindon/ant2.../presentations/Distribution_II.pdf
The primary determinant of variability in human skin color is the amount, density, and distribution of the pigment melanin.

Amount isn't totally responsible. I will acceed that the total amount of melanin retained by the outer layers of the skin may vary, but the total amount produced in the human body is the same.
Up, up and away!

csavel

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:54 am

Basically supposedly, yes living close to the equator when you have no hair will mean your skin will have to be dark lest you get early skin cancer and die. Even if there is only a 1% fewer rate of reproduction, after a while the favored type will be the "norm." I always had a question about this in that skin cancer generally would have shown up after a person mates and passes on his or her genes, so one would expect a wide array of skin colors in Africa. But I guess I am wrong in that.

Now the further away from the equator you get, not only is dark skin not necessary, but it is actually maladaptive, in the cold climate you need every chance to make Vitamin D you can get, so the darker skinned person will be more likely to get rickets. That person will be less likely to pass on his genes. It actually works the same in Asia. Koreans are a lot lighter than Thais, and Eskimos are lighter thank Koreans.
That doesn't explain red hair or blue eyes, though.

As for the big nose thing. I think actually most people of Tropical African descent have wide, but not big noses. big noses generally develop in hot dry semi arid but not truly tropical climates and there is a band of Big honking people spreading from Spain, through France (look at De Gualle) through Italy (big nose central) Greece, the Middle East (Let's not even f**king go there, OK?) on to India and Pakistan. It is interesting that Amerinds who are from , say Venezuela have the wide, flat nose while Amerinds from the American West (e.g. Apache) where the climate is similar in some respects to the big nose belt have huge noses. Take a look at Sitting Bull or Geronimo!

As for the well-endowed thing, well I won't even go there, just to say that is one ethnic stereotype that Chris Rock wants to keep.  Wink

PS now if someone can explain why white people have far more body hair than Asians or Africans.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

iakobos

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 31):
But I guarantee that not all black people are huge..

We would have to define "hugeness" of course, but I disagree.

Among other "material" to prove my point, let's say I was raised in Africa (read: RDC - Equatorial province), and I can testify that even pygmees are not running short of equipment, although they are less than 5 feet tall.

If nature did it there must have been a purpose, right ?

Any anthropologist here ?

erikwilliam

Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 32):
You asked for it:

WOW.
thx Reddy, that is a great article to read.

Think what you showed is very clarifying.
But, if whe consider the time of evolution, and since the melanin is the same for eerybody and is "triggered" due to the amount of sun that one take, then maybe, after years and years of people been born white and taking sun in africa or whatever during the life time, they might have started to born darker and darker and darker until the day they were all black by birth. So then, the tone of the skin would be directly influenced by melanin since birth.
Could that be, or am I way wrong?

But one thing is for sure, it´s not only about the melanin, I´ll give an example.

My dad is midle-eastern race, and he´s what we might call 3rd line white, he´s white, but not that whit. And the funny thing, both my grandparents are white, my grandmom has blue eyes. And then my younger brother is darker than dad, he has a nice colour, looks like he tans everyday.

anyway, thx for the info Reddy  Wink

avek00

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:19 pm

IINM, on average, the genitalia of males of African descent are approximately 0.5-0.75 inches larger than the equipment of males of European ancestry. So Black men are "bigger", but not nearly as much as the stereotypes that portray Black men as aggressive sexual predators suggest.
Live life to the fullest.

prosa

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 36):
IINM, on average, the genitalia of males of African descent are approximately 0.5-0.75 inches larger than the equipment of males of European ancestry. So Black men are "bigger", but not nearly as much as the stereotypes that portray Black men as aggressive sexual predators suggest.

I recall reading some years back that the larger size of black males is not a matter of size per se, but is related instead to the flow of blood into the erectile tissue. Basically, black men don't get as completely soft as do men of other races, they're always a little bit hard. If you compare black and Caucasian men at the same levels of hardness (I do not know and, for that matter, do not particularly care to know how this could be tested experimentally), there'd be little or no size difference on average.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"