ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Why's Alcohol Legal?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:21 am

Question's pretty self-explanatory.... what logic (be it legal, social, or otherwise) allows alcohol to be legal, whereas so many other like substances-- many of arguably less social consequence-- are barred?

Also, for what reason(s) did Governmental Prohibition fail/collapse??
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

monteycarlos

RE: Why's Alcohol Legal?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:25 am

I am guessing prohibition was deemed to be futile!

But also, I guess its not really that bad?

Hmmmm.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

OzarkD9S

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:27 am

Prohibition failed because people demanded thier booze, organized crime cornered the market in and the resulting gangland violence and lack of abitlity to control the influx of alcohol into the country was eventually recognized as a failure.

If it's not legal, you can't tax it bro!

As far as other drugs it's more of a social aversion to them I guess...I've always felt that pot for instance was infinately less harmless than booze. Not totally harmless of course...but relatively speaking.

I'ld surely rather be in the car with a stoned driver than a drunk one.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

FlyingTexan

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:28 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Thread starter):

As you are well aware, our government tried making alcohol illegal. They succeeded for thirteen years.

I actually had a history prof point to pros of prohibition – higher bank accounts, other social pluses, etc.

One can easily rebuff that by claiming it was due to other factors…
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

theCoz

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:29 am

I think what eventually made prohibition end is that it actually increased crime -- an exact opposite reaction to what the lawmakers wanted.

It's an iteresting subject. I think I'll go read up on it now that you have mentioned it.

dl021

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:29 am

Two reasons....

1. Cultural acceptance since time immemorial.

2. Because they tried to ban it once and all they did was lose revenue, organize American criminals and make the Kennedy family rich.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

DLKAPA

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:41 am

Alcohol is legal because it's some good shit.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Newark777

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:18 pm

Alcohol is legal because it's some good shit.

checkmark 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Logan22L

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
organize American criminals and make the Kennedy family rich.

Ian, have at least a small dose of integrity. No doubt, Joseph Kennedy had his fingers in the corn-pone pot, but at least try to slam a GOP dink at the same time.  Wink

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

gigneil

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:05 pm

Because it gives people something to make after school specials about, and fighting against drugs gives us somewhere to waste billions of dollars of taxpayer money.

Its industry hypocrisy. Same reason tobacco isn't illegal. Tobacco offers nothing whatsoever to the user, yet we allow it because its a cash crop.

N

[Edited 2005-06-02 06:27:57]

CaptOveur

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:05 pm

If alcohol was illegal what the hell would I do while my girlfriend was on vacation?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Logan22L

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 9):
Because it gives people something to make after school specials about, and fighting against drugs gives us somewhere to waste billions of dollars of taxpayer money.

Its industry hypocrisy. Same reason tobacco is illegal. Tobacco offers nothing whatsoever to the user, yet we allow it because its a cash crop.

As a drinker and a smoker, I can add nothing to this. Spot on, Neil.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

monteycarlos

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:27 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 10):
If alcohol was illegal what the hell would I do while my girlfriend was on vacation?

Sober up from wearing the beer goggles constantly?

CaptOveur

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:32 pm

"Sober up from wearing the beer goggles constantly?"

Hell no, then I would realize I got screwed when they were handing out girlfriends.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

monteycarlos

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:34 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 13):
Hell no, then I would realize I got screwed when they were handing out girlfriends.

Yeah, why do you think I'm so pissed off!

wukka

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:16 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 2):
I'ld surely rather be in the car with a stoned driver than a drunk one.

Agreed!

They both might get you in a wreck, but the stoned driver will be going at least 25 under the limit.  Smile
We can agree to disagree.

KROC

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:24 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 13):

Easy Capt. Now there will be legions of A.netters looking for the spot where they "hand out" girlfriends.

dl021

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 8):
Ian, have at least a small dose of integrity. No doubt, Joseph Kennedy had his fingers in the corn-pone pot, but at least try to slam a GOP dink at the same time

OK...because I would then be forced to smuggle in my 24 year old single malt the same way I have to smuggle in my Cuban cigars.......  Wink

Because it gives people something to make after school specials about,

I forgot.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MidnightMike

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:27 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Thread starter):
Question's pretty self-explanatory.... what logic (be it legal, social, or otherwise) allows alcohol to be legal, whereas so many other like substances-- many of arguably less social consequence-- are barred?

Wow, that is a very complex question, first off, Alcohol has been around for quite some time, also, wine is served in the church, so, in a way, alcohol, is blessed by the church.

Alcohol, also, has the least side-affects of any narcotic type.

Prohibition failed due to the overwhelming pressure of common citizens that simply ignored it and the rise of crime attributed to "speak-easys" (ill-legal bars). Many people simply felt there was nothing wrong with drinking, unlike the way people about cocaine, or heroin.
NO URLS in signature

Pope

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:58 pm

If it's not legal, you can't tax it bro!

Its industry hypocrisy. Same reason tobacco isn't illegal. Tobacco offers nothing whatsoever to the user, yet we allow it because its a cash crop.

Exactly. Follow the money. Alcohol companies make tons of $$$. The $$$ allows them to buy lots of influence. The governments love the taxes. Its a symbiotic relationship.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Pope

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 10):

I would imagine that without alcohol, your chance of having a girlfriend would be close to zero!
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

September11

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:06 pm

One thing I NEVER understand is that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not legal!
Airliners.net of the Future

DucatiRacer

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:29 pm

With respect to the marijuana vs. alcohol issue, I once read some commentary that put a racial spin on the reason for making marijuana illegal. According to this commentary, in the earlier years of the 1900's marijuana use was pretty much concentrated among Hispanic immigrants. By making marijuana illegal, that demographic could be easily singled out for harrassment and imprisonment or deportation.

Again, this is just something I read, and it is not my opinion nor is it intended to stir any racial argument here.

ZRH

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Alcohol is legal because it is at first not a drug like heroin, kokain and others but it belongs to a drink. A good glass of wine consists alcohol but this is not the most important. Wine tastes simply good, alcohol is only the side effect. I don't drink wine and beer to get drunk but because I like it (ok I admit sometimes I get drunk Big grin ). When you take other drugs you usually take it to get high and not because you like the taste.

Superfly

Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 21):
One thing I NEVER understand is that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not legal!

Imagine it like this.
A party full of pot-heads vs. a party full of drunks.
Which one will turn out to be violent?
The party full of drunks.
Our government needs violent outlaws so they can be thrown in prison for cheap labor. That's what feeds the predatory capitalist machine.
Bring back the Concorde

aa777flyer

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:10 am

Because other drugs are not...
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

HeyMach

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:51 am

...and we need something to numb us before reading a thread like this....

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 am

Prohibition failed because people demanded thier booze, organized crime cornered the market in and the resulting gangland violence and lack of abitlity to control the influx of alcohol into the country was eventually recognized as a failure.

...if that's the case, why the continued "War on Drugs"?? (rhetoric)

Quoting ZRH (Reply 23):
Alcohol is legal because it is at first not a drug

The American Psychiatric Institute, MADD, PDFA, et al could not possibly disagree more.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Lutenist

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:02 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 23):
I don't drink wine and beer to get drunk but because I like it

Obviously you do not fall into the category populated by 99.9% of young males! You should ask them why they consume beer.

There are many people of all stripes who view alcohol as an effective drug whose taste happens to be rather nice. Holding such a view does not make one an alcoholic, but merely, perhaps, a pleasure seeker, especially if the consumption is kept under control. This would make alcohol no different to some than any illegal drug in terms of its use. There's no rational reason why alcohol is legal whilst pot is not. It's purely a cultural thing--i.e., alcohol is deemed acceptable by the general population; "drugs" are not. Perhaps one day this'll change.

Superfly

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting Lutenist (Reply 28):
There are many people of all stripes who view alcohol as an effective drug whose taste happens to be rather nice.

I'll drink to that! Big grin

I had a cold two days ago and made a Hot Totty and it was gone the next morning.
Bring back the Concorde

Orion737

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:59 am

Because we need something to help us cope with life. I would go mad if I couldnt have a brandy or a gin now and then, Im all for anything that makes this sod of a life easier to get through

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:56 am

Similar to Orion, my thought is that the masses need some way to take the edge off life and alcohol is considered the most innocuous. If alcohol was not legal, there'd have to be some other legal way to get blotto.

Of course, I am sure someone is making a lot of money off the sale of alcohol, and that is why it is legal and other things are not.
But that was when I ruled the world