Danny
Topic Author

Marillion And Their Fantastic Marbles

Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:47 pm

"Have you lost touch with Marillion over the years and want to see what we're up to? Or have you just heard the buzz and want to check out what it's all about? Well now you can get a sample of our latest album absolutely FREE. "

http://www.marillion.com/listen.html

Personally I strongly recommend it. It is a great album and now you can check it out really for free.

Superfly

RE: Marillion And Their Fantastic Marbles

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:16 am

I have there Misplaced Childhood album.
I could have seen them in concert back in 1986 opening RUSH but didn't get a chance on that tour (Power Windows).

Are you a RUSH fan too?
There seems to be an overlap.
Bring back the Concorde

Danny
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
Are you a RUSH fan too?
There seems to be an overlap.

I like Rush, but imho currently Marillios are much better than "new Rush". A pupil better than a master  Wink Take advantage of their offer and check "Marbles".

cedarjet

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:40 am

I'm a big fan of Marillion (leaning slightly towards the post-Fish era, Hogarth is a way better singer), but the better they get at viral marketing, the more boring their music gets. Marbles is dull, see also: Anoraknaphobia, Marillion.com, This Strange Engine etc. Brave is one of the best albums of all time (and Thom Yorke of Radiohead would agree with you) and Afraid Of Sunlight is awesome too (the title track especially - wow) but since then they've been treading water in way over-familiar territory. Marbles is a step too far, I'm officially bailing out - I saw a gig on the tour and was pretty bored. It's all the same midtempo sludge. I'll always have plenty of time for their back catalouge but they need to reinvent themselves.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Danny
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:28 pm

Few things I agree with and few I disagree.

No doubt "Brave" was one of their best albums ever and "Radiation" and "dotcom" were the worst.

But I think you are really missing the point about "Marbles" It's a genius album in my opinion. Although like "Brave" it is one of these that you need to listen a couple of times to understand it and love it. Give it a second try!