VC10BOAC
Topic Author

This Cop Was Messing With Me!

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:18 am

Yesterday evening I was heading to a restaurant on Amsterdam Ave around 74 St. in NYC with a friend and her son. Amsterdam Ave in this area has five lanes, all going in the same direction (one way). Typically there are cars parked along both sides and very hard to find a parking spot.

I pulled up in front of the restaurant next to a parked car on the right to let my friend and her son out to wait for me in the restaurant while I went to find a parking spot on the next block. As soon as I slowed down, a cop pulled up behind me and blew some kind of horn/siren so I could keep moving. Now traffic was not heavy any was moving easily past me since there were several other lanes. I motioned to the cop that to wait while my passengers got out and in less than 30 seconds I was on my way. The cop pulled up alongside me to the left at the next light and motioned for me to roll the window down. Then he said in a rather nasty arrogant manner " Listen, WE don't wait for YOU!" I just mouthed "whatever", rolled my window back up and went on my way.

This was a trivial incident but I was upset by the rudeness of the cop, I mean this is New York City, sometimes you have no choice but to do what I did in dropping off passengers. My question, do you think the cop was out of line? If I had taken him to task for his rudeness, is there any way he could justify a violation? Let me know what you think, I would like to hear from ANCFlier.

NWA742

RE: This Cop Was Messing With Me!

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:23 am

Ah, things like that will happen.

I would just get past it, you can't expect every cop to be considerate and nice.

And I would advise you not to challenge a pair of cranky cops, they'll do whatever they can to pick on you if you challenge their behavior.

You did the right thing by shrugging them off.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:28 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Thread starter):
Let me know what you think, I would like to hear from ANCFlier.

Well, first, it's ANCFlYer . . .

Second, if happened as you described (not saying it didn't), then the cop is an asshole. Anything else you'd like me to add?

Rude, arrogant asshole.

Of course, I'd expect that behavior on the East Coast . . . that's why I don't live there. Sorry East Coasters, I simply find the attitude of most people very rude . . . worse than myself in fact  biggrin .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:29 am

VC10BOAC:
Be careful. Some cops can be real dicks and there power can go to there heads. That piece of $h!t should lose his badge for that.
I wouldn't piss them off either. They could drag you out of the car and beat you if they wanted and get away with it.
Bring back the Concorde

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Of course, I'd expect that behavior on the East Coast . . . that's why I don't live there. Sorry East Coasters, I simply find the attitude of most people very rude . . . worse than myself in fact

Hows your igloo?

Anyways I would have waved and smiled at them and said hi. Just to mess with them.
Go big or go home

dl021

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:35 am

You probably caught either an asshole, or a dude having a bad day.

Don't assume that this is indicative of every cop......it's probably an isolated incident.

If you really have a problem with any police officer then just get their name, badge number or vehicle number. Contact the local precinct and discuss it with their watch commander, and I would bet that the problem would not be readily repeated.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

aerobalance

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:36 am

A one finger salute was in order..........
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

WellHung

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
That piece of $h!t should lose his badge for that.

Lose his badge for saying 'we don't wait for you'? WTF are you talking about?

If some dickhead stopped in front of me, I'd be honking my horn, too. It's not my problem that your lazy ass passengers can't walk a block from a parking spot.

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 7):
If some dickhead stopped in front of me, I'd be honking my horn, too. It's not my problem that your lazy ass passengers can't walk a block from a parking spot.

Ah the voice of reason
Go big or go home

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 am

WellHung:
It was obvious VC10BOAC was dropping off a lady and he kid and the pig could have just driven around. He had plenty of space.
Him using the term "we" means he is speaking on behalf of all police officers. He is abusing his powers as an officer. It doesn't matter if it's verbally or through force, it's still an abuse of power.
Bring back the Concorde

VC10BOAC
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 am

Superfly,

You are right. I really wanted to address his behavior but I did not want to risk lying face down on the pavement getting my ass whupped. I hate to bring up the race card but I could not help wondering if the fact that I am a black man driving a BMW had anything to do with it.

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 10):
I am a black man driving a BMW had anything to do with it.

I doubt it VC, in a city like that it is not uncommon to see all sorts of people driving all sorts of cars.
Go big or go home

NWA742

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:55 am

Superfly,

Why the hell should those cops be fired for one little rude remark?

Sure it was uncalled for, but losing their jobs over this? Are you serious?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Dash8King

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:01 am

I have to agree with Wellhung on this one, but I don't know much about traffic I live in a small town.

flymusic

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Thread starter):

That's NYC for you.
You fall like autumn leaves who lack tranquility.

VC10BOAC
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:05 am

Lose his badge for saying 'we don't wait for you'? WTF are you talking about?

If some dickhead stopped in front of me, I'd be honking my horn, too. It's not my problem that your lazy ass passengers can't walk a block from a parking spot

First of all I had no lazy ass passengers. I had a lady in heels and her son. I don't know who raised you or how you were raised (I am assuming there were civilized humans involved but I could be wrong) but I was taught how to be a gentleman.

Secondly, if you think doing what I did makes me a "dickhead" I wouldn't worry too much about it since judging by your screen name, you are probably not very good or accurate in handing out descriptive names.

[Edited 2005-06-03 20:07:56]

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:06 am

I hate to bring up the race card but I could not help wondering if the fact that I am a black man driving a BMW had anything to do with it.

I understand. The neocons here will scream bloody murder. The BMW had nothing to do with it. They would have done the same if you were driving an old Pinto.

NWA742:
Yes I am serious.
Cops get away with too much and most people would lose there job if they are an asshole on the job.
Bring back the Concorde

WellHung

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:08 am

dl021

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
It was obvious VC10BOAC was dropping off a lady and he kid and the pig could have just driven around. He had plenty of space.

Thats a load of crap.....Fly, calling a cop a pig is just as screwed up as you or I being referred to by a name intended to deride our ethnicity or orientations.

If you weren't there, then ease up a little on the guy.

VC10.....You experienced the least of what may have come. A cabbie would have been really rude.

I think that if you follow my advice from the first post I left you'll be alright in the future.

VC10BOAC
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:14 am

Actually DL021 if you drive down Amsterdam Ave in this area at this time, you will notice that about half the vehicles are cabs and they drop off and pick up passengers just like I did all the time. Also during this time several cabs went around without missing a beat.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:15 am

Some cops can be real dicks and there power can go to there heads. That piece of $h!t should lose his badge for that.

Not likely . . . lose a badge for this, you're smoking too much local tobacco Superfly.

They could drag you out of the car and beat you if they wanted and get away with it.

Only in NYC - and maybe SFO.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
and the pig could have just driven around.

I take exception to the name calling - I know you don't give a shit, however . . .

I know I might overindulge at the table every now and then, ya know on a good meal and decent bottle of wine, but I'd hardly classify myself as a pig. DO you realize how ignorant your comments make you sound Superfly, and we all know from your A-Net history you're not ignorant - hell man, you drive Fords . . .

I hate to bring up the race card

Then why bother.

I already gave you my take, since you made the invitation in the thread opener. The guy was out of line, rude . . . what makes you think it was racially motivated?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
Yes I am serious.

Cops get away with too much and most people would lose there job if they are an asshole on the job.

Unfortunate that you think this way . . . I have perhaps misjudged you based on your previous posts here in A-Net. What a scornful hatred for law enforcement you must harbor. Too bad . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
Fly, calling a cop a pig is just as screwed up as you or I being referred to by a name intended to deride our ethnicity or orientations.

Incorrect.
The term 'pig' is fitting in this case and VC10BOAC described the situation pretty well. Why couldn't he pass up VC10BOAC since he had plenty of space to do it?
Sure a cabbie could have been much ruder as many NYC cab drivers are but a cabbie runs the risk of being challenged and/or beat up. Not a police officer. Would this pig done the same thing if he were out of uniform, off duty and in his own car?
Doubt it!

Also a "pig" can be any color and being a cop is a profession by choice.
I stand by my previous statements on this matter.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:20 am

ANCFlyer:
I was not making a blanket statement against all police officers.
Many of them are good people and do a fantastic job. The "pig" reference was to those that abuse there power.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
Bring back the Concorde

VC10BOAC
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Then why bother.

I already gave you my take, since you made the invitation in the thread opener. The guy was out of line, rude . . . what makes you think it was racially motivated?

OK maybe I should not have brought it up but if you know the history of African immigrants (like me) and cops in NYC you would kinda pause and wonder.

This thread is not an attack on NYC cops, most of whom are decent people, just an asshole who happens to be a cop. Difference is most regular assholes cannot hurt me, an asshole who happens to be a cop can.

[Edited 2005-06-03 20:26:46]

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
The "pig" reference was to those that abuse there power

OK, I'll buy that . . . as I said, the was a rude asshole.

coboeing777

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:27 am

I am a police officer on the east coast..actually right next NYC but not NY state, and judging by what you did/gestured toward the officers I can understand their reaction. I've had people blocking traffic/double parked in my city and I roll up behind them and hit the airhorn to tell them to move. But this is on the smaller side streets where people stopping or double parking screws up traffic. On occassion u get people just tell you 1 minute or those that take their sweet time to move or catch a hissy fit and personally I take that as "hey screw you cop!. Now mind you I dont get all bent out of shape. As an officer Ive been called everyname in the book and it dont bother me. I wont verbally abuse you though. The almighty pen has more effect. Why get stressed out over some idiot drive, ya know? Had it been on one of the wide avenues like in NYC at a time other than rush hour though I wouldnt even bother you but lots of times there are spaces around and people are just being plain lazy. I can't speak for that NYC cop, but just trying to give u some perspective from the LEO's side...

Joe

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:28 am

I have come into contact with many cops. I've been pulled over for BS reasons like I made a wide turn, I've had my car searched countless times. Those cops are pricks. I've also had cops that have gotten me out of jail, or prevented me from going to jail-thought their colleague was trying to get me in there. There are good and bad cops, just like everything else with the good come the bad.
Go big or go home

FlyingTexan

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:34 am

It's not my problem that your lazy ass passengers can't walk a block from a parking spot.

Gotta love WellHung

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
They would have done the same if you were driving an old Pinto.

Or worse, hit it and the Pinto explodes!

I am a black

Being black and challenging the NYPD can be hazardous to one’s health.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

theCoz

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:50 am

Hey ANCFlyer, would would have happend if he gave the cop the bird? Are you allowed to do that?

VC10BOAC
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 28):
Hey ANCFlyer, would would have happend if he gave the cop the bird? Are you allowed to do that?

Hell no, he would have shot my ass. In NYC, a midle finger (along with other objects such as a wallet) can be mistaken to be a gun.

dl021

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 29):

Hell no, he would have shot my ass. In NYC, a midle finger (along with other objects such as a wallet) can be mistaken to be a gun.

Oh, don't be hysterical. If you really think you can be shot or abused at will by the police in NYC then you should amass some evidence and take it to the DA or the USAG. Perhaps even the US Civil Rights Office with the DoJ.

You do nothing here but stir up Superfly and either preach to the choir or provoke some thoughtful responses you choose to ignore in order to tear out your hair, thump your chest and martyr yourself.

[Edited 2005-06-03 21:12:45]

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 23):
This thread is not an attack on NYC cops, most of whom are decent people, just an asshole who happens to be a cop

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 29):
Hell no, he would have shot my ass.

Well, which is is VC10BOAC, an attack or not? Seems you speak with forked tongue!?

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 28):

If you'd like to be referred to on the same plain as this particular officer, have at it.

[Edited 2005-06-03 21:21:40]

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:25 am

DL021:
I guess you didn't read reply #22.
Bring back the Concorde

emiratesa345

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:28 am

Was it a "no-stopping zone"? If so, you were in the wrong and should be happy you didn't get a ticket. If not, I agree with the majority.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:34 am

EmiratesA345:
Couldn't possibly be a 'No stopping zone' since there were parked cars.
Bring back the Concorde

purpleheepster

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:36 am

I often wonder if Police are taught sarcasm as part of their training!

emiratesa345

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:44 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):

I see what you're saying, however he did indicate that he pulled up with a car to his right side. He was obstructing traffic by doing this, and I know here, that's illegal. So is driving too slowly.

Mark

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:46 am

EmiratesA345:
I can't stand slow drivers either and here in San Francisco, we have lots of people who double park on narrow street.
The street in question has 5 lanes and traffic was light. I don't see what so hard about passing someone up.
Bring back the Concorde

emiratesa345

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
The street in question has 5 lanes and traffic was light. I don't see what so hard about passing someone up.

Either do I, but on the other hand, there are laws for a reason and they should be followed.

Mark

WellHung

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:23 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):

What kind of ridiculous vendetta are you on? A lane of moving traffic is by default a no-stopping zone. If they wanted people to stop there, it would be a freakin parking lane.

CactusA319

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:31 am

When I read the thread title I thought you were talking about one of these guys:

Anyone who's watched "Super Troopers" understands....

I have a better "rude asshole cop" story for ya. I was at an ORD public meeting at the convention center in suburban Rosemont, IL (right by the airport). We were missing a vital piece of our presentation so I ran out and got it and came back. Since I had to quickly run in to the convention center to drop this off, I parked in an apparent No Parking zone. I missed the No Parking signs and saw other cars parked there so I figured I'd leave my car there for the 2 minutes it would take me to do my thing. As I'm running to the door, somebody yells out to me from across the way and I give him the old "hold on a second" hand gesture.

When I come back out, this guy calls me over. Turns out it was a Rosemont cop and he was beyond pissed that I had blown him off. He then proceeded to loudly chew my ass out in front of his cop buddies about not parking in that area and blowing him off. I tried telling him I wasn't aware it was a No Parking Zone since there were a few other cars parked there. "Those vehicles belong to Rosemont Police Officers" he replied. How nice. Eventually he let me go and I as I walked away I said "I hope you enjoyed that power trip". The guy went apeshit and started cursing me out but by then I was in my car driving away.

Typical case of a suburban cop high on himself because he has a gun and a badge.

dl021

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
DL021:
I guess you didn't read reply #22.

Sure I did. I don't agree with you here.

I could go into the times that police officers have gone out of their way to help others, me in particular, and how they are generally underpaid and underappreciated......I could also talk about the heroism and sacrifice many have made throughout the years...... but what some people want to do is whine about being ticketed for improper parking or being yelled at by a pissed off cop who can't understand why people can't obey the laws they allow to be passed.

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:20 am

DIO21:
So I guess you didn't comprehend what I said either.
ANCFlyer who IS a cop understood, why can't you?
Did VC10BOAC break any laws?
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):

Technically, well, yes - Impeding the Flow of Traffic.

I know, I know it's a chicken sh*t answer, but that's the down and dirty. But you did ask the question.

Would have done anything, nope. Just that simple. I have enough common sense to see he's dropping someone off . . .

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:06 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 43):
Would have done anything, nope. Just that simple. I have enough common sense to see he's dropping someone off . . .

My point exactly!
We need more cops like ANCFlyer!  bigthumbsup 

This cop is being very rude to the very people he is paid to 'serve and protect'. Now IF VC10BOAC was blocking traffic on a single lane street, then it's time to pull him over an issue a citation. I am sure VC10BOAC has common sense to not do that. Many don't and those are teh one that keep the money flowing in to City Hall.

By the way, most of my dealings with cops have been good and I know people who are excellent and do a great job. I have ran in to some bad one's too. Those were all down in SoCal.
Bring back the Concorde

dl021

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
DIO21:
So I guess you didn't comprehend what I said either.
ANCFlyer who IS a cop understood, why can't you?

Fly...I comprehend you...I disagree with you. I will also bet that anyone who calls a cop a pig in ANCs presence would have a serious discussion about it, as his initial reaction would probably not be all that measured.

Superfly

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:41 pm

DIO21:
OK let me try this again.
I was not making a blanket statement against all police officers.
Many of them are good people and do a fantastic job. The "pig" reference was to those that abuse there power.

Perhaps everyone has there own definition of what the term "pig" stands for. It's a 'slang' term used in reference to Cops and perhaps is not officially defined and the meaning is rather convoluted.
Maybe that is where your misunderstanding is coming from.
I (Superfly) only use the term ‘pig’ in reference to Cops that abuse there power.
Ie; police brutality, harassment, racial profiling, planting drugs on suspects.

The only member here who has any right to be upset with my earlier remarks is ANCFlyer and I explained where I was coming from and he understood what I meant.
ANCFlyer has every reason in the world to despise an officer that abuses there power because it places the burden on him and other officers who do a fine job and maintaining there level of professionalism.
Probably not the case up in Alaska but in places like New York and Los Angeles, every time there is a reported case of a police officer abusing his/her power, it makes other officer's job more difficult in keeping (or in some cases, rebuilding) the trust of the community they serve and protect.

ANCFlyer stated:
"Would have done anything, nope. Just that simple. I have enough common sense to see he's dropping someone off . . ."

Key word right there!
"Common sense"!
I would expect a police officer to have some 'common sense'. Apparently this NYPD officer went out of his way to be a d!ck towards VC10BOAC.
Bring back the Concorde

IAH777

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:43 pm

If it had been a cab driver or a FedEx driver that did that, would you have the same problem?

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:00 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
Probably not the case up in Alaska but in places like New York and Los Angeles, every time there is a reported case of a police officer abusing his/her power, it makes other officer's job more difficult in keeping (or in some cases, rebuilding) the trust of the community they serve and protect.

Same holds true I'm afraid anywhere. Recently had a State Trooper accused by several people of brutality. I'll be the first to tell you I know a lot of State Troopers personally, not the least of which is the Director and Deputy DIrector of the State Department of Public Safety; Colonel Julie Grimes, Trooper Commander; both the #2 Troopers, a whole host of the detachment commanders, and a lot of the street guys. This accused trooper was found, via internal investigation, to be guilty of this abuse and a settlement was reached with the victims (Anchroage Daily News, 6/3/05). Unfortunately, these victims, and by extension their familes and friends, will never have a decent opinion of an Alaska State Trooper ever again.

As I've said before, police work is 50% Public Relations. You will in fact entertain more success with honey rather than vinegar, situation depending.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
I (Superfly) only use the term ‘pig’ in reference to Cops that abuse there power.
Ie; police brutality, harassment, racial profiling, planting drugs on suspects.

Perhaps, Superfly, this thread would be fifteen posts shorter if you'd placed that definition - or explanation - "according to Superfly's definition" - in your reply #9 . . .

I have a different term other than 'pig' for the type of officer you describe above . . . asshole, unprofessional, incompetent . . . those come immediately to mind.

The job can be tough enough without those types of officers on the road.

There are times when being a 'prick in the line of duty' is necessary, and there are times when it is not. You must know when to be a prick and when not to. Usually, that comes with experience.

There are always the eaches out there, no organization is perfect. That said, it is unfortunate when a Trooper or Street cop saves a life, finds a lost child, drags a victim out of a burnnig car, prevents a robbery, no one will read about it on A-net or anywhere else.

bezoar

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:54 am

Some battles are not worth fighting.

One option might have been to simply told the officer "I'm sorry. Thanks," and move on. It's probably not a good idea to antagonize a LEO when they are simply doing their job.

On the other hand, I think the officer could have played his role with a little more courtesy. His words do sound like he was looking for an altercation.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."