SWA TPA
Topic Author

My 5yr Old Cut An Electrical Cord In 1/2!

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:23 am

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  scared 

I just found my scissors with a melted part and black marks on the metal! I asked my son what happened to them and he started screaming and ran to his closet to hide.
Turns out he got the scissors out of the drawer this morning and while I was cleaning, went in his room and cut the PLUGGED IN cord to his radio clean in half!!!!!
The severed end was still plugged in just now when we found it! Good lord! How scary is that! Needless to say the scissors are now locked up. He has never even so much as looked at the scissors before! What possesed him!?
These outlets say GFCI protected on them. Does that mean that as soon as he cut it the current stopped? Or could he have still killed himself? Was that plugged in end still live? Could he have burned the house down? OMG!!!!! Freaking out here!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

planespotterx

RE: My 5yr Old Cut An Electrical Cord In 1/2!

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 am

kids naturally are curious, they want to explore and seek out their surroundings, you did the right thing by hiding the scissors, but also try explaining to him that wires are dangerous and he could get hurt by playing with them.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

mdsh00

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 am

Quoting SWA TPA (Thread starter):
Was that plugged in end still live? Could he have burned the house down? OMG!!!!! Freaking out here!

My electrical physics knowledge is kinda elusive right now but I think he would have been fine. Only if your son somehow completed the circuit, and the radio were on, it COULD have been a problem.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MxCtrlr

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:37 am

GFCI circuits, by their nature, are designed to trip off as soon as they detect a short circuit (your son with those scissors most likely created a short circuit).

Kids are naturally curious and really have no fear. My son, at 5 or 6, decided it would be a good idea to light candles and drop them in a trash can full of catalogs. I came home to my bed mattress being carried out of my smoldering home by the fire department. Luckily, while the house was toast, nobody was hurt.

MxCtlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:48 am

Oh trust me! We told him how dangerous it was!
I have in the past too! That's why I am so surprised he did this! This child seems to have little fear though. That worries me.
WOW MXCtrlr! Sorry to hear that! Glad nobody was hurt. Gee's, what my kid did is small potatoes compared to you!
The radio is a radio/alarm clock so yes it has a continuous current to it. I do realize though that even when something is "off" it is still live electrically.  wideeyed 
Being a parent is scary stuff sometimes. And to think he is only 5. So many years of worry to come!!!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:49 am

The son of my second ex once, at the age of five, got up early on a sunday morning and decided that it was a smart thing to stick a nail into a wall socket (we have warned him a lot about electricity), he even managed to touch the live wire and complete a circuit to ground. Fortunately he provided a good resistance, so that the resulting electric shock hurt him, but not too much (he had a small burn blister on his finger though). He didn�t even cry, we only noticed when we found the nail sticking out of the wall socket. He never fooled around with electricity since.
On the other hand, also at the age of four or five, he ran away from his mom on a busy street and right in front of a car. Fortunately the lady driver had good reactions and just bumped him slightly. He took this as a reason to tell his mom that what she told him about cars hurting people was bullsh*t, because it didn�t hurt him at all!
There were other similar stories, that until he was about 10 years old, you had to watch him continously or he would endanger himself or others...

The guardian angel of this boy was defintitely doing overtime!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 am

He has never even so much as looked at the scissors before! What possesed him!?

In the past I've found bread in the VCR, bit's of stereo making a trail leading to my girls' room, mud on sofas, destroyed appliances and once - a smashed up TV. All at the hands of two sweet little blonde 3 year olds. Kids are capable of ANYTHING.

These outlets say GFCI protected on them. Does that mean that as soon as he cut it the current stopped? Or could he have still killed himself? Was that plugged in end still live? Could he have burned the house down? OMG!!!!! Freaking out here!

I have a feeling things would have been okay. I'm not well versed in how electricity works in the United States - but that individual powerpoint would probably have automatically switched off. In Australia I know there is a switch with a power box that automatically switches all electricity off in the house if there is a short-circut. I'm no expert, but considering your kid didn't get electrocuted when the metal on the scissors touched the wire, the wire wasn't live.

How old is he, may I ask? Because in my experience - this sort of stuff is fairly common to 2-5 year olds.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:00 am

Qantas-

He is 5. 6 in November. The scissors are actually melted and black where the blade cut it. He says it sparked but it didnt scare him. Scared me!!!!  faint 

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:03 am

Quoting SWA TPA (Reply 7):
He is 5. 6 in November.

lol Der - I should have read the title of the thread.

The scissors are actually melted and black where the blade cut it. He says it sparked but it didnt scare him.

Perhaps it should have given him a bit of a scare - namely so that he doesn't do it again. lol I presume you've had the big lecture now about safety?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:07 am

Had the lecture and had it again.
And again, every time I saw him tonight actually. He probably wont do it again just to shut me up! LOL.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

DfwRevolution

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:19 am

That's nothing... when I was in 8th grade a kid in my science class was changing the lightbulb of a lamp when he decided to lick (!!!) the terminals. Lamp was on. Brain was not. I still see the guy sometime and ask him what the hell he was thinking.

Curious toddler is one thing. Stupid teenager is another.  Wink

UAL747

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:23 am

I guess he wins the Darwin Award! LOL, just kidding. I think every kid is curious about what their parents say to stay away from. For instance, I ate a moth ball one time when even though my parents told me to never put it in my mouth.

I had to go to the doc, pumped my stomach, and I had mothball breath for the next week. Like everytime I breathed it smelled like an old lady's closet LOL!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

JAGflyer

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:27 am

I don't want to sound like a bad parent, but have you disiplined him? I know he was curious but disipline is sitll needed.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

L-188

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:39 am

These outlets say GFCI protected on them. Does that mean that as soon as he cut it the current stopped? Or could he have still killed himself? Was that plugged in end still live? Could he have burned the house down?

What happens is that a GFCI is supposed to detect free current flow, such as occurs if an applance gets submerged in water. Which is why they are required to be installed in bathrooms and kitchens. Since it sparked when he cut it, I suspect that he did cross the positive and negative leads in the cord with the scissors but it wasn't enough to blow the GFCI or breaker.

If the plug still works after this and didn't pop a breaker then yes, the cord was still live after he cut it. In theory yes he could have started a spark that would have caused a fire.

I have a power story too. My dog as a puppy picked up the habit of chewing on cords. Got her broken of it one night, when she chewed on one that was live.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mexicana757

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:42 am

Eeeeek  eek  thats scary. Glad nothing bad happen, but still dangerous. No matter how many lectures you give your children they will be curious about stuff, just keep an on eye on them. Just let him know that electrical appliances or stuff that can cause a house fire are not toys or nothing to play with.

The scissors are actually melted and black where the blade cut it. He says it sparked

He probably thought it was fireworks. I would have been scared.

theCoz

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am

I chew on live wires. I get the biggest rush off the high voltage ones. Girls don't like me either.

Signed,
KROC

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:51 am

Did he cut a cord that plugs directly into an outlet? Or was it a cord leading into a transformer that plugs into the wall? That makes a difference. The latter would mean the cord carried no more than 20 volts DC. All that might do is burn out the transformer without tripping a breaker or GFCI.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

DLKAPA

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:52 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 10):
Curious toddler is one thing. Stupid teenager is another.

A kid in my chem class ate Potassium Chloride.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 12):
I don't want to sound like a bad parent, but have you disiplined him? I know he was curious but disipline is sitll needed.

I'm not a parent, but I'd not discipline him in this kind of situation, because it's clearly a case of child curiosity. If the kid actually meant harm to something/one, then discipline would be in order I think.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

57AZ

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:55 am

Regardless of GFCI, all he would have gotten would have been a minor shock as household current is only 110v. I've never heard of 110 causing serious harm, however, when I worked for the railroad we had onboard systems that ran at 220V. I know at least one conductor who received an electrical shock from the 220v battery charger line and had no lasting injury from it. 480 is what Amtrak uses for its trainline power. I have gotten shocked too, having gotten it while working inside the electrical cabinet of our Pullman car. I was reaching for a switch and grabbed hold of an energized breaker that had protective shields on the front and side but not the top. Being that the max voltage was 220, I turned out all right. Had it been 480 like on Amtrak and I'd have gotten fried.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

UAL747

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:02 pm

What's the voltage on most power lines? There is an electric station (or whatever they're called) on the back side of our ranch in eastern OKlahoma where all of the powerlines meet and there's all this electrical stuff going on there. You walk by it and you can hear that electric "hummmmmm."

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:08 pm

Ok, here is Germany the generators of the power stations usually have an output of 10,000 to 20,000 Volts. This gets transformed up (still in the power station) to up to 250,000 Volts of overland transport (the huge steel pylons you see crossing the country). Outside cities, it gets transformed back down to 10,000 Volts for regional distribution. While some big companies have their own transformer stations and are directly connected to the 10kV network, the neighbourhoods within towns usually have a transformer station, bringing the voltage down to 400V three phase or 240V single phase, which is then brought to the individual homes.

The humming you hear are the transformers.

Jan

DLKAPA

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 19):
What's the voltage on most power lines? There is an electric station (or whatever they're called) on the back side of our ranch in eastern OKlahoma where all of the powerlines meet and there's all this electrical stuff going on there. You walk by it and you can hear that electric "hummmmmm."

One night while I was out in some BLM land in northeastern New Mexico taking a few timed exposure shots, I was right near some high voltage lines coming up to the Durango area from the power plant down in Farmington and though I was about 100 yards from them I could hear the zzzzzz. That along with the oil pump that was maybe another 100 yards from me doing its --chunk chunk chunk-- sound, all alone in the quiet night made for a very eerie feeling.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

SATL382G

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:20 pm

It's not the volts that will hurt you, it's the amps.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

LambertSTL777

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:21 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 18):
household current is only 110v.

Depends on where you are.. In city/suburb settings, yes its 110.. But in rural settings its 220 (so it will travel farther on the lines.. its also cheaper, and ofcourse more dangerous)
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

57AZ

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:44 pm

220 stepped down to 110 for household use. On our railcars, only the trainline itself was 220. All other systems were 110 and each car had transformers to step the voltage down.

As for the commercial lines, amperage and voltage are so high that the energy creates a sphere of danger about six feet in diameter for lower voltage lines. Even de-energized, those lines have enough residual static electricity to be highly dangerous.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Euclid

Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:35 pm

I have a theory, but it is only a theory, mind you, that warning young kids about something actually makes the curious about something.

I speak from my own experience on this.

When I was also about 5 or 6 years old, my dad bought a few bags of fertilizer for the lawn and stored them in the garage. I never paid the slightest bit of attention to the stuff until my older brother, obviously concerned for my wellbeing, warned me not to eat it.

Ding!! Why on earth would he tell me not to eat it?? So, my curiosity got the better of me and I took one grain of this fertilizer and popped it into my mouth.Needless to say, it tasted very bad, so I just spit it out and never touched the stuff again. I learned a lesson that day, but my point is, had my brother not said anything, I would never even have thought of trying it.

I think raising kids is a very complicated affair. I'm not a parent myself yet, but I think it must be very difficult. I can just imagine the conflict I would have, thinking about this experience of mine. Do you warn them about the dangers of something and risk making them curious about it, or just not say anything and not have them know the potential danger of something, and just hope they leave it alone?

mdsh00

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:00 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 22):
It's not the volts that will hurt you, it's the amps.

Exactly. I remember learning in physics that a static shock delivered by the tip of one's finger is over 10,000 volts. But this doesn't matter since the current is very low.

Think about standing at the bottom part of a dam, and the voltage being analagous to the height. You will be safe no matter how high the dam is, as long as the water doesn't start flowing over it.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 pm

The problem with voltage is that the higher the voltage is for a fixed resistance, the higher the current is (provided the source can sustain it, a statical electric shock might have a high voltage, but the current is very low, becaue there are only a few electrons involved. A flashlight battery has quite a few electrons available, but the voltage can�t overcome the resistance of a human body to cause a sufficient current to cause harm. An electric mains line has practically an unlimited supply of electrons, and the voltage is, under certain conditions, high enough to provide a dangerous current in a body. A high voltage line, like an overland line, is dangerous, because a) on short distances the field strength generated by the voltage is high enough to make air conductive and b) to induce serious currents inside a human body.
According to German electrical enginering standards the danger limit for an electric current source is 48 Volts, under the right conditions (person being wet and having a bad heart) it can be lethal.

Jan

flyAUA

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 pm

Once when I was still a little kid I thought I wanted to help my dad by replacing a light bulb inside a lampshade... By mistake not realising what was coming at me, my fingers touched the live part of the socket (which was still switched on) as I was trying to aim the bulb into the socket which I was not able to see. The shock, made me fly halfway across the room. Luckily my other had was touching the wooden bed. Just left the room with a bruised ego and fingers that smelled like they were being cooked. Apart from that I got out of it quite safe.

I sure learned my lesson though. Everytime I switched a light bulb since then I (1) made sure I could see where I was putting it into (2) switched off the current first Big grin

I laugh at myself when I look back at this incident, even though it was not funny at the time!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:29 am

Those stories are great!
The mothball one, oh lord!!!!! I about fell out my chair laughing! LOL!!!!!!! Mothball breath!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Good stuff!!!
The fertilizer story. So true! "DING"
Thanks everyone for your responses. I asked around at work today and it seems a lot of boys have cut cords with scissors while plugged in. WTF? WHY? My own husband did this as a child too! Knocked him clear across the room, killed all the lights in the house and according to his mom made the loudest noise. Ah well, like father like son.
Mothballs..........hee hee hee
OH! JOKE TIME!

Q. Ever smell mothballs? (yes or no question here)
(scroll down for answer)
A. Really!? How'd you get their little legs apart?  wink 

Ba dump dump....

SWA TPA

SWA TPA mothballs
I believe I can fly.....

Superfly

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 am

SWA TPA:
Glad to hear your son is fine. That could have killed him or caused some severe damage.
My question is, what kind of music was being played at the time?
Terrible music can drive people to do crazy things.
Bring back the Concorde

swatpamike

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:50 am

Hello all

I had the nail in the wall socket experience once. ONCE

Cheers

swatpamike

MxCtrlr

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Maybe now you can get him the bedtime story, "Why Mr. Fork and Mr. Electrical Outlet Aren't Friends"!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

saxdiva

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Gosh, I remember back when I was three or four--my brother and I were playing in our room when he decided he'd see if he could make a lightbulb light up by holding it--connected to a coat hanger--in one hand, and sticking the other end of the coat hanger into the wall outlet. There was a flash, he yelled, and all the power went out. Mom came in to find me hiding in my toybox (I was a REALLY tiny kid) and my brother out cold.

I still remember seeing something like a blue arc from that, though I'm not sure if that was possible back in about 1972 or so. Maybe, since outlets weren't necessarily grounded?

Amazing we lived to adulthood, but it's probably a good thing neither of us has reproduced.

-Leanne

ltbewr

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:23 pm

Back in about 1959, when I was about 6, and my brothers were 4 & 5, we decided to stick the car and trunk key to our father's 1957 Dodge (they were together in a small case, with a metal stud between them) into the kitchen wall socket. BAM! the lights when out, we were scared as hell, we had been kicked back to the back door crouching in fear, not only for what we had done, but also of the 'disipline' from our father as he stormed out of bed from a dead sleep. It was a little sore to sit down for a while after his hand warmed our bottoms.
A few years later, my one brother (he is the crazy one of us) decided to make an electromagnet that was shallacked wire wraped around a metal rod and he directly connected the ends of the wire directly into an a.c. socket. Needless to say, he blacked out he house, he was was in shock from the mad scientist experiment he had done and he got some 'attention' from dad.
Even as an adult, me and my brothers contnued to do stupid things from working on cars, drinking, and so on.

j_hallgren

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:25 pm

I remember as a kid (maybe around age 10-ish?), for fun, helping the local electrician/Western Auto store owner put up the lights on the Christmas tree in the town "square"...these were the old style (C5?) big bulbs...my "job" was to find the dead bulbs...I would stick my little finger in the sockets to see if there was power to that socket when the bulb was out...not the brightest thing to do, I realized much later, as I sometimes was on damp grass while doing so...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!