FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Is Cheney Going To Step Down So Condie Can Run?

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:49 pm

No one can dispute the power of an incumbency. The next Presidential election marks the first time an incumbent from the executive branch will not run for the highest office in the land in over a half century.

Is Dick Cheney going to resign so Condoleezza Rice can run for the President in 2008?
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

DLKAPA

RE: Is Cheney Going To Step Down So Condie Can Run?

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:55 pm

Personally I don't care because I'd vote for neither of them  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Falcon84

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:56 pm

It's bad enough she's a kiss-up SecState. As VP? God help us, although Cheney, in mind, could be in prison if the nation found out everthing he's been in on since being VP.

And let Condi run. She'll lose.
Work Right, Fly Hard

DfwRevolution

RE: Is Cheney Going To Step Down So Condie Can Run

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:08 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
And let Condi run. She'll lose.

Policy aside... black + female alone and you've alienated a few southern states...

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
Is Dick Cheney going to resign so Condoleezza Rice can run for the President in 2008?

The Vice President is not automatically the party nominee once the President's second term is up. If you recall, VP Al Gore had to battle it out with Senator Bill Bradley for the DNC nomination. It's an open race.

Besides, Cheney is old and politics ages you rapidly. The chances of him even trying for the RNC nomination is slim.

No one can dispute the power of an incumbency.

Tell that to -

scratchchin 

although Cheney, in mind, could be in prison if the nation found out everthing he's been in on since being VP

You hate him, fine by me... you don't have to repeat it at every single opportunity.  Wink

flyingbronco05

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:17 pm

Why does he have to resign so she can run for the presidency?!
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

rsmith6621a

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 pm

Why Would America Want To Repeat Anymore Of the Bush Bullcrap that These Liars Have Reaped Upon Us All.

Rice has no integrity in my book.....wasnt she the one who said certain contents of the Aug 6th, PDB were just Historical statements...She is partially to blame for 9/11 and the loss of some of our freedoms....Condi is an embarrassment to the office of SOState she hasn't exactly been welcomed where BUSH has sent her.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 4):

Why does he have to resign so she can run for the presidency?!

She doesn’t. But the force of incumbency is irrefutability a great benefit.

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 5):
wasnt she the one who said certain contents of the Aug 6th, PDB

That one-liner from Fahrenheit 9/11…”I believe it was titled bin Laden determined to attack America” in reference to the August 6, 2001 PDB.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Falcon84

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 3):
You hate him, fine by me... you don't have to repeat it at every single opportunity.

The beautiful thing about freedom and being on this site is I can and will repeated it until Hell freezes over-and as long as I don't break forum rules.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

CPH-R

Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:13 pm

God help us, although Cheney, in mind, could be in prison if the nation found out everthing he's been in on since being VP.

Unfortunately, that would require a critical media (like WP of the Watergate era), something you'll be hard pressed to find these days...

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:24 am

Cheney won't run . . . his heart won't take it . . . I don't think he'd BS his way through public opinion by stating it would. Further, the Halliburton ghost (yes, Ian, overblown I know) is still hanging about.

Condi won't run. As said here . . .

Policy aside... black + female alone and you've alienated a few southern states...

and as Falcon has said before, you want to see a bunch of Southern State Conservative Republican voters abandon the GOP in short order - here's the catalyst.

And no where is it written a VP must resign so someone else can run for office.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptOveur

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:31 am

I wonder what freedoms Rsmith has personally lost since 2001.

She won't run because everyone knows she can't win but I think the GOP wants to keep her around as a counter to Hillary.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:33 am

It's that stampede I mentioned earlier-white conservative men defecting from the GOP, at least for that election, if she runs.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 10):
She won't run because everyone knows she can't win but I think the GOP wants to keep her around as a counter to Hillary.

If it were Hillary vs. Condi, Hillary would win, and for one reason. You can figure it our.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:35 am

No one can dispute the power of an incumbency.

Tell that to -

Actually, I think that if Al Gore didn't have the political baggage of the Clinton administration and the Lewinsky scandal attached to him, he would have won. Incumbency can be a bad influence as well as a good one, but there's no denying that it's a powerful one.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CaptOveur

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:35 am

I know Hillary would win against Condi.

I don't think there are any other female Republicans in any kind of position to compete though.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Mir

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 11):
If it were Hillary vs. Condi, Hillary would win, and for one reason. You can figure it our.

Wow, it's like the Bible Belt Catch-22. I wonder if any of them would even show up to the polls that day.  biggrin 

-Mir

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
Actually, I think that if Al Gore didn't have the political baggage of the Clinton administration and the Lewinsky scandal attached to him,

First, I don't think anyone ever tied in Gore to the Lewinsky scandal in any way. Secondly, with this present administration heading further to the left socially, and spending like they're old-time Democrats, the days of the Clinton years, and fiscal responsibility doesn't look all that unattractive to many people, I think.

Gore's problem WAS Clinton in '00-the fact he didn't use the greatest Democratic politician in 50 years to his advantage.
Work Right, Fly Hard

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 15):
First, I don't think anyone ever tied in Gore to the Lewinsky scandal in any way.

Gore was widely viewed as damaged goods because of the location of Bill Clinton’s penis.

Mir

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:53 am

First, I don't think anyone ever tied in Gore to the Lewinsky scandal in any way.

I certainly remember them doing it - it was the chief rallying cry of the Bush people on the streets in New York. And I'd be very surprised if a good portion of the country didn't at least consider it.

-Mir

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 16):
Gore was widely viewed as damaged goods because of the location of Bill Clinton’s penis.

Completely unjustified as it was - I'd agree.

Some of the more neo-con folks I spoke with considered Gore's lack of opinion on the subject as tacet approval and therefore lumped him in the same dung heap as Clinton.

I didn't vote for Gore, but I have sense enough to know it was Clinton that got the blow job . . . and his association or disassociation (however it might have been) with Clinton had no bearing on my decision.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 am

Voters didn't associate Al Gore to Bill Clinton's personal affair with Monica Lewisnsky.
The media just hated Al Gore for no specific reason. The press bashed Al Gore every opportunity they could. When Gore chose Joe Leibermann as his VP candidate, the press instantly drew distinctions between Gore and Leibermann. The press made it look like Gore was putting Leibermann up to some sort of dirty tricks.
The press made no distinctions between Bush & Dick Cheney.
Despite the consistant trashing by the media, most voters went ahead and voted for Al Gore to be the 43rd. President but we all know what went down in Florida.
Bring back the Concorde

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):

That's because they're both the same: despicable assholes.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Superfly

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
That's because they're both the same: despicable assholes.

Oooooopps, I forgot ot include that.
I didn't want to seem partisan.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 am

That's because they're both the same: despicable assholes.

I have a tough time figuring out which one is the more despicable a-hole.

DIJKKIJK

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:14 am

So the next presidential election is going to be fought between Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice?

and America gets its first woman president  bigthumbsup 
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 23):
So the next presidential election is going to be fought between Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice?

and America gets its first woman president

I wouldn't hold your breath. I still think Hillary is going to pass on running this time, which is, admittedly, a calculated risk for her. If she doesn't run, and a Republican wins in '08, she can still run in '12. But if a Dem wins, and she's not on the ticket, it's very likely her chances to run and win are gone, as she'd be in her 70's if that Dem won two terms and served till '17.

And I don't think Condi will run either.

But again, I really don't want to get into presidential election politics till after the '06 midterms.
Work Right, Fly Hard

102IAHexpress

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:22 am

Dick Cheney would never resign. Furthermore a Vice Presidential resignation would cause a media circus. And even if he did resign, I doubt that the senate would confirm Condi as Vice President. This administration is going through hell, just trying to get their UN ambassador confirmed. Hypothetically, I think Condi would never get confirmed because the Administration has already burned too many senate bridges, in the way they have handled their proposed UN ambassador's nomination.

And I'm not sure if being Vice President gives you a certain advantage when it comes to wining the Presidency, in recent history Governors have had success in being elected, and on a the flip side, U.S. Senators have had little success; the last Senator to be elected President was a junior Senator from Mass.

Will Condi run? Anything is possible, but I think she has mentioned that she misses academic life at Stanford, and would like to return there one day. But even if she did run, I wonder if she could even get passed the primaries and win the partys nomination, much less win the general election.

Mir

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 22):
I have a tough time figuring out which one is the more despicable a-hole.

Oh that one's easy. Hint: he has a D in his name.

-Mir

Superfly

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:28 am

You know it's interesting, most people who hate Hillary Clinton don't know why they hate her.
Those right-wingers that spew out so much venom against her can't think of one single reason to hate her. Look at her voting record as a Senator. She is a lot more conservative than Charles Shumer.

I still think it would be a bad idea for her to run but if she is the nominee, I'll support her 200%.

A poll conducted this early is useless however, it shows that 53% of the voters are somewhat or very likely to vote for her.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/26/hillary.clinton/index.html
Bring back the Concorde

b757300

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:31 am

To answer the question, no he isn't.

The same rumor was floated around for almost a year before the 2004 election and in the end it never happened.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Those right-wingers that spew out so much venom against her can't think of one single reason to hate her.

They can think of plenty.

-She's a woman.

-She's a Democrat

-She's Bill Clinton's wife.

-She ran that health care debacle.

-She doesn't like George Bush.

There's five reasons.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Superfly

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
-She's a woman.

-She's a Democrat

-She's Bill Clinton's wife.

-She ran that health care debacle.

-She doesn't like George Bush.

Sounds like they gonna tar & feather her down in Alabama!  dopey 
Bring back the Concorde

Pope

Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:13 am

Gore's problem WAS Clinton in '00-the fact he didn't use the greatest Democratic politician in 50 years to his advantage.

Twice in one day the Falconer and I agree.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 16):

That's ridiculous. If Clinton could have run for a third term he would wiped the floor with W. Why do you think that the Bush's have teamed up with Willy. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Gore lost because he stood for nothing but the "lockbox". Remember, Gore couldn't carry his own home state.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

ZRH

Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
Actually, I think that if Al Gore didn't have the political baggage of the Clinton administration and the Lewinsky scandal attached to him, he would have won

As a non US citizen I never understood why people made such big deal out of the so called Lewinsky affair. In my opinion it should have only concerned Bill, Hillary and Monica and nobody else.

santosdumont

Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:49 am

His policies aside, I don't think Cheney's heart could withstand the rough-and-tumble presidential campaign process.

As for Condi, I don't think the Republicans -- or Democrats for that matter -- have evolved to the point where they would field an African-American woman as presidential candidate.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

whitehatter

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 33):
As for Condi, I don't think the Republicans -- or Democrats for that matter -- have evolved to the point where they would field an African-American woman as presidential candidate.

Even more basic than that, Middle America is not ready for a black President. Never mind a woman.

If anything it would split the right wing vote between the Republicans and some extremist Falwell type candidate who would be guaranteed to appear on the ballot.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

sccutler

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:05 pm

That's because they're both the same: despicable assholes. Big grin

Nice to see articulate, well-reasoned political discussion. Sad thing is, I know you can do better. Name-calling is intellectually lazy.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
You know it's interesting, most people who hate Hillary Clinton don't know why they hate her.
Those right-wingers that spew out so much venom against her can't think of one single reason to hate her. Lo

'Fly, who has been "spewing venom"? It has been my observation in the last several political cycles that the vitriol and venom emit mostly from the left. Educate me, if you will.

Not saying Condi's the one (or not, for that matter), but I think with the right candidate, the nation could elect a woman, or a black person, or a combination thereof. After all, President Reagan was the first President to appoint minorities in more than mere token roles and numbers (Justice Marshall being the notable exception), and it harmed him not a whit.

Finally, it is ludicrous to suggest that the Clinton presidency represented "fiscal responsibility"; it enjoyed (1) a revenue bubble founded on consumption of speculative capital in largely unproductive enterprise, and (2) a congress at odds with the legislative (which may be our best bet for the long term...).
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Falcon84

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 35):
Nice to see articulate, well-reasoned political discussion. Sad thing is, I know you can do better. Name-calling is intellectually lazy.

You call a spade a spade, SCCutler. I believe every bit of what I say, and I'm not backing off of it.

It has been my observation in the last several political cycles that the vitriol and venom emit mostly from the left.

What part of the 1990's did YOU miss, dude? What was that 8 1/2 year witchunt of our last Democratic president? Or didn't that make the news where you live. Good Lord.

Finally, it is ludicrous to suggest that the Clinton presidency represented "fiscal responsibility";

When the stated goal of the President was a balanced budget and/or a surplus? That isn't fiscal responsibility-compared to a President who says, that MAYBE in 5 years, if things go just right, we MIGHT get to a balanced budget?

Mr. Clinton AND the GOP leaders in the Congress were fiscally responsible in that time period-far more so than the current power structure.
Work Right, Fly Hard

DfwRevolution

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 32):
As a non US citizen I never understood why people made such big deal out of the so called Lewinsky affair. In my opinion it should have only concerned Bill, Hillary and Monica and nobody else.

In theory you are correct, it should have been a middle page story with Jay Leno taking stab at it for a few weeks. Without getting to much into the Lewinsky fiasco, he lied to a grand jury stating that he hadn't had sexual relations with the woman. That constituted perjury, and that got him in trouble.

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
Gore lost because he stood for nothing but the "lockbox". Remember, Gore couldn't carry his own home state.

That and sucking face with Tipper at the DNC convention in front of national TV only perpetuated the Republican/conservative belief that the Democrats were nothing but sex-hungry predators who want to destroy our moral fiber..  Wink

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, Texdravid, please name the extent of subsides the Sherman, Texas medical community receives from the government.

texdravid

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 39):
subsides

What is a subsides?!!

I take it you mean subsidies? As in medicare/medicaid. Look, for your own benefit, don't take this conversation where I think you are going!!

I don't know, and personally I don't care. I operate on and take care of at least 3-4 indigent patients a week who don't PAY me a dime. I'm not talking about taking out a pimple, either. I'm talking Cardiac bypass operations, Aortic Valve, pulmonary resections, etc.

I see everybody, at all hours of the day and night. I don't even know who is and who isn't an indigent until the end of the month when my secretary tells me.

Furthermore, all postoperative visits are free.

Your thesis that I'm some greedy doctor who milks the government for medicare is way off the mark. The only way I make the living I do is by sheer volume, and by sheer back breaking work.

Do you work approximately 4 hours a day, 3-4 times a week for free? I don't think so!
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 51):
Yeah, but what I do for free is something YOU could never do. Maybe imagine, but never do. I save lives, give someone a new heart valve, etc.
I do THOSE things 3-4 times a week for free. Not even a comparison. So sorry. NOT!

Oh really, doc? And what I do is something you would never do!

As you may or may not be aware, I spent a month in several hospitals this past winter. I learned a little about modern medicine and ‘the system.’ Doctors saved my life twice. I have high regard for them.

I noticed their young ‘lieutenants’ – younger PAs (physician assistants) and ‘lesser’ doctors like gastro-intestinal and rehabilitation docs are complete jerks. Hands down, or shall I say canes down.

And they want to show off their Mercedes and credentials and milk the system. And they think they are god’s gift to medicine and saving the human soul.

But green dead former slave owners are the reason for their getting up every morning.

When did the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners start certifying such jerks? Or is that not even criteria?

Best –

texdravid

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:48 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 52):
I noticed their young ‘lieutenants’ – younger PAs (physician assistants) and ‘lesser’ doctors like gastro-intestinal and rehabilitation docs are complete jerks. Hands down, or shall I say canes down.

And they want to show off their Mercedes and credentials and milk the system. And they think they are god’s gift to medicine and saving the human soul.

But green dead former slave owners are the reason for their getting up every morning.

When did the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners start certifying such jerks? Or is that not even criteria?

I'm sorry if you had some interaction with doctors who did not treat you well while in the hospital.

But to say that some or even most of us are getting up in the morning to chase greenbacks is simplistic at best and downright wrong at worst.
I wake up every morning thinking about the patient and how I can best help him/her. I go to sleep every night thinking in my mind if I did EVERYTHING I could do that day to help my patient(s).

The concept of counting greenbacks is foreign to me, Texan.
I and most physicians treat first, save first, and think about money last. Get a grip. Your bitterness is clouding your better judgement.

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 38):
living in my vacation homes, driving my Porsche,

=  dollarsign 

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 53):
The concept of counting greenbacks is foreign to me, Texan.

Confused

texdravid

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Flying Texan,

Everything I have I earned I did it the old-fashioned way--hard, HONEST work.

Last time I checked, if you do that in America, you deserve what the market and society pays you.

If the mere fact that someone who works hard, plays by the rules and is justly rewarded causes you anguish, then that is your problem, Texan.

Your petty jealously is probably worse than Falcon. I guess two birds of a certain feather flock together!!

Wink

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:12 pm

Doc, you have no class.

texdravid

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 52):

And you sir, have no clue, as well as no class!!

Why don't you turn on the pity card, just like your friend Falcon?!!
Your rants are straight from the mouths of Dennis Kucinich and John (ambulance chaser) Edwards.

ZRH

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:09 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 37):
Without getting to much into the Lewinsky fiasco, he lied to a grand jury

Why did this ridiculous affair even go to a grand jury?

sccutler

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:34 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 36):
You call a spade a spade, SCCutler. I believe every bit of what I say, and I'm not backing off of it.

...and I will defend to the death your right to do so.

But.

The practice of simply calling people names because you disagree with them is repugnant to champions of reasoned discussion.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 36):
Mr. Clinton AND the GOP leaders in the Congress were fiscally responsible in that time period-far more so than the current power structure.

It was a different time and environment then than now, so we cannot have an apples-to-apples comparison. But, having the opposing parties control the executive and the legislative has traditionally been better for fiscal responsibility. So we have room for agreement there.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

santosdumont

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:52 pm

Texdrdavid wrote:

I live in small town rural America, and I think you're mistaken. I live with and hear and listen to these people. Believe me, they could easily vote for Condi. Why?

1). She is a religious conservative, and deeply devout.
2). She is not Hillary.
3). She is a Bush loyalist.
4). See #2.

Once again, these political threads just make me realize how left-wing A.net is, and how much of the kool-aid many of you have ingested courtesy of the left-wing.

If, as you suggest, the principal aim of the Republicans is to field a candidate who is an "Anti-Hillary," then Condi might not entirely fit the bill. I think other Republicans (Mccain comes to mind) might feel that they have political dibs over Condi on a possible presidential candidacy.

I stand by my view that no major US political party has evolved to the point where they'll choose an African-American woman as a presidential candidate. The question of race is still inextricably ingrained in the US social landscape; it's (to quote Condi herself) "America's birth defect." I'm curious to know to what extent de facto racial segregation still exists in "small town rural America."

I couldn't help but notice your take on A.net political threads. Distilling a discussion down to a "left vs. right" view doesn't do justice to the complexity of most issues. The threads, by definition, are whatever shape and tone the writers give them. Anyone who doesn't like the slant of a thread can get some sweat on their game jersey and weigh in however the hell they like.

I should hope that those who think that A. net is inhabited by hacks from the "other side" would feel free to step up to the mic and start riffing; to do otherwise amounts to creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

MD-90

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:59 pm

She's a conservative from Alabama. I don't think so, bubba.

Especially if Hillary runs. Most people around here think she's the she-spawn from hell.