erikwilliam

Ever Crashed Your Car?

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:06 pm

Just wondering, I bet a lot of people here have crashed their car. So, let´s share what happend and if possible a pic of it.

Here´s mine

Frontal hit

air-bags in action

So, I lost control in a hard turn, it was wet, and I was a bit faster than what i should be....nobody hurts, but my car was total loss.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

aloges

RE: Ever Crashed Your Car?

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:08 pm

No, but I have been way too close to it for my taste.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thom@s

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Same as Aloges. Been in the ditch once, but got up again. And one or two close calls in the traffic.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

SLC1

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:32 pm

I've crashed a car, it was my mom's car and I just barely got my license a month earlier. The guy I hit was driving erratically-having crossed a median to enter traffic at high speed to enter oncoming traffic as I was making a left turn at a light (which is why it is not on my record and the fine was reduced to $30), but in legal terms, I was at fault and my insurance company didn't really consider the extenuating circumstances. Damage looked a lot like Erikwilliam's car, and came to about $5000 to my mom's car (a 2001 Toyota Solara) and $300 to the car I hit, whoop-de-freaking-doo, he pitched a fit at the scene and was a real jackass about it.

I've also scraped the hell out of the right front corner my car against my garage backing out door a year ago, because I have to make this turn-I'm the garage at the far right (sometimes I can cheat and go over the lawn a little, but at the time there was 2 1/2 feet of snow that was also taking up a bunch of the driveway):

Also you can see that the left door is busted up, I did that too, backing out my dad's 4Runner with no visibility out the back, he gave me the all clear but the door wasn't technically all the way up yet.

[Edited 2005-06-06 14:34:46]

[Edited 2005-06-06 14:36:16]
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

mhodgson

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 pm

All I've done in sice first getting a car and driving as a learner is shunt into the back os someone, at sub-5mph. My car was totally undamaged, and the other car just had a few tiny marks - hadn't removed the paint or anything!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

SLC1

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Oh, and I was also responsible for this, I quickly moved the car into the parking garage-when I parked the car I thought I had left it in gear and since I was in a hurry didn't bother to set the parking brake. Came back to find it lodged against the wall. We fibbed a little since I should not have been driving the car in the first place (even just to move it 100 ft I suppose), but we never had to pay for the damage, but it's worse than it looks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/scronyjameson1/EuropeVacation_1147.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/scronyjameson1/EuropeVacation_1145.jpg

I'm a good driver, really!

[Edited 2005-06-06 14:56:05]

[Edited 2005-06-06 15:11:55]
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

wingscrubber

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:23 pm

I crashed my car into a tree once taking a corner too fast in the wet like erikwilliam but my car was ok - mainly thanks to the tree being quite a young sapling and it soaked up the impact as opposed to the front of my car. I checked over the car - broke a headlamp and the bumper but it was ok to drive.

Also, in a seperate incident, I once hit a dog which ran out in front of me, I was going pretty slow put couldn't stop in time. The dog was a HUGE doberman or something...it bounced off my bumper, yelped and ran off. I looked for it but couldn't find the dog or the owner.

Finally...the only time I've ever crashed my car deliberately... I was driving home one day along a 40mph speed limit road and some guy in a honda hot hatch races up behind me, probably less than a foot from my bumper, and I was doing 50mph anyway. The oncoming traffic was too heavy for him to pass, so I stabbed my brakes a couple of times to try and get him to back off...he wouldn't take the hint, I did it a couple more times and we started exchanging hand signals, one-finger salute and so on...
So, I try to ignore him, and turn off down my road...he follows, so I pull over so he can pass...instead of passing, he pulls over in front of me. At this point, the road rage takes over...I lost my temper and rammed him which obviously put the wind up him because he shot off down the road. In retrospect I know this was a very dangerous and aggressive thing to do but I'd much rather give him a rear-end nudge than get out of the car and come to blows with the guy. Besides my bumper was already broken from hitting the tree!
Resident TechOps Troll

redngold

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:23 pm

I've been in four crashes, two of which were not my fault. The most recent was a fender bender and I took responsibility for it. The fourth was deemed my fault although I still believe that I skidded on wet pavement.

None totaled my car, but two involved over USD$3000 worth of body work.

redngold
Up, up and away!

teahan

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:28 pm

Where is UTA?
I'm sure he has a few (too many) replies for this topic.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

drerx7

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 pm

I flipped over my first car--a Miata. hydroplaning in a Miata--not fun.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

September11

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 pm

A pick up truck crashed into my 1992 Chevy Blazer on an intersection in Grand Rapids, Michigan years ago.
Airliners.net of the Future

erikwilliam

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:40 pm

that´s my dad´s car, no this one, but the same model etc...

for some strange reason, he won´t le me drive it  scratchchin 
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

EGGD

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:18 pm

Kind of, It wasn't really my fault in retrospect but for some reason I took the flak being a learner and having only been eligable to drive for 1 month before the accident.

http://eggd.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/crash4.jpg

Cost £600 in insurance excess but I think the damage was more like £1200. The car hasn't really been right since with the tracking and wheel balance always skew.

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting Teahan (Reply 8):
Where is UTA?
I'm sure he has a few (too many) replies for this topic.

Fool !

Just because I owned (and still own) quite a few vehicles does not mean I crash any on a regular basis.

My Astrhaa has a nasty dent on the wing/driver door but you should ask Poupinou (707cmf) about that one  Wink

I wrote off a Twingo a long time ago but a big part was due to a dysfunctional ABS  Sad

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Sabena332

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:29 pm

I crashed my VW Polo when I was 18, it was a snowy day and when I hit the break the car was going faster instead of slower. I crashed into the rear of a Fiat Punto, the driver of the Punto was unamused.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

erikwilliam

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:41 pm

If I lived in some place that snows I would have crashed a higher number of cars, heck, I drove once in the snow and had a spin, all alone, nothing happend, the traffic stoped and was watching me, as my friend that was in the pax seat was laughing his ass out. That happend in Brecksville, a city near CLE.

EGGD

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:46 pm

I've driven in freezing rain and I can tell you, it's not fun!

OV735

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:49 pm

Back when I was taking driving lessons in the late 1990's in a Ford Sierra that was older than myself, a truck hit me from the back at rougly 30km/h, so the Sierra was pretty much wrecked and was a write-off.

A couple of months later I managed to hit a taxi, breaking the left blinker and having some small scratches on the front bumper.

Last summer a drunk driver hit my car from the back.

And that's about all of my mishaps during 6 years of active driving. I try to predict all possible trajectories of my car in case I should screw up, and make sure that there are no objects on those trajectories. Though you can never be protected from other people screwing up.

senorcarnival

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:30 am

Never crashed my car, but my first car did catch on fire.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:38 am

First and only crash I've ever had was in my patrol car . . . two November's back . . . slid sideways into the corner post of a building. Inertia is an amazing thing. And brakes only work if the vehicle is moving in the direction of the tire spin . . .  crazy 

Never crashed a personal vehicle.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

erikwilliam

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 18):

how in the lords name did that happen?

FlyingTexan

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 am

I had a nasty one in my 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata. The car was about 6 months old.

The short throw shift in the Miata has gears quite close. I was in third, not first. Light turns green, I go a few feet and stall. There happens to be a Chevy Silverado coming up behind me to the light (I’m told the truck is going 45+ MPH).

Not a situation you want to be in – especially in a Miata. Needless to say the Silverado totaled the Miata, smashing the rear half of that car, breaking the axel. I had the top up at the time and my head (I’m 6’3” and this is a tiny car) hit one of metal supports – had I lowered the convertible top, this would have not happened. I get out, holding my head, screaming to call an ambulance, the lady driving the Silverado gets out and tells me once she finishes her cell phone conversation, she will (I’m not kidding).

Technically it was my fault – but she was behind me and hit me. I paid no deductible and insurance covered the Miata 100%.

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 20):
Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 18):

Probably a Chrysler product.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

erikwilliam

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 21):

WOW, that was bad. Cellphones are prohibeted while driving, maybe because too many people crashed while talking, at least in Brazil.

Probably a Chrysler product.

Or a FIAT TIPO.
Here in Brazil, in 1990´s FIAT start to import a new car, called TIPO. But since the car was made to ride in EU where is colder than here it was fine, but in here that is hot, the car had a piece in the engine that if got to a certain temperature, would catch on fire. Some cars had this problem, FIAT stop importing it to here.

TedTAce

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:07 am

Crashed an '81 Honda Civic B/c I was tuning the radio, and not watching what I was doing. Totaled the car in pre-airbag days, thank goodness I like seatbelts!!
Crashed a 1980 280ZX because I was looking at the girl walking her dog, not where I was going.

Crashed/totaled a 1985 300ZX Turbo because someonelse made an illegal lane change. Loosing that car wasn't such a big deal compared to the offender who lost his life in the incident.
This space intentionally left blank

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 7):
I've been in four crashes, two of which were not my fault. The most recent was a fender bender and I took responsibility for it. The fourth was deemed my fault although I still believe that I skidded on wet pavement.

If you were skidding on wet pavement, it's your fault for not driving to the road conditions.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

teahan

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:21 am

Maybe we should reopen this topic after the Rhaat has driven for another while.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 13):
Just because I owned (and still own) quite a few vehicles does not mean I crash any on a regular basis

Mostly 80s rustbuckets without insurance or tax.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

alcregular

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:25 am

I backed mine into the front of my mother's on my way to work in January. I was trying to avoid a dodgily parked car in our tiny cul-de-sac and went straight into my mum's, causing my back bumper to be fully replaced and a new bumper on my mums. Both was claimed on the insurance and an excess of £150. Two days earlier, someone had scratched my mums door and that was going to cost £200, so I claimed for her door on my insuranceand my parents paid my excess for me.

I was driving home from my best friend's wedding last December, and it was so dark on the motorway, I didn't see a traffic cone that had been blown into the middle of the carrigeway and that hit off the front bumper, causing at least £250 worth of damage, including cracking the bumper and smashing my wheel trim and a bit of chipped paintwork. I was not happy about that. By the time I saw the cone, it was too late and the workmen who were out, were too bloody lazy to go and get the cone cost me a lot of money. Haven't got it fixed it yet either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Shazza24/Jun0668.jpg
Why drive when you can fly?

redngold

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 24):

If you were skidding on wet pavement, it's your fault for not driving to the road conditions.

While I understand that, you have to admit that there's some frustration having to do with a sudden cloudburst while driving downhill on a tight curve. That's what happened, I hit the brakes and skidded across the yellow line.
Up, up and away!

S12PPL

Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:20 am

Two. Both were my fault. Both of them, I rear ended the car in front of me. The first one was deemd my fault, and I accept responsibility. I was glancing to my right approaching a stop light, because many people run those on a right turn...I saw a car coming, and when I looked up, it was too late. Now, everyone in front had to slam on they're breaks as well, becuase someone who was just picked up by the sheriff on a paroll violation didn't want to go back to jail, so he lept out the patrol car window, and made a dash for it...accross a bussy road.

The second, should not have been my fault, but my insurance company shafted me. I was following a car, and had a younger passenger with me. We were talking, and I looked at him fast to acknowlage something he said. The people in front of me had aparently been trying to find a house on the street. There is no turn lane to get off the street, you have to flip on you blinker, and turn right into the drive way. Anyway. They found the house, slammed on they're breaks, failed to use a turn signal. I couldn't avoid them, clipped the left rear of they're bumper. The moron lady in the passenger seat of that car was not wearing her seat belt, so of course she sustained some injuries. Thanfully my insruance company was more on my side on this one, and as far as I know...was not going to pay all of her medical bills...but I have yet to see a resolution letter in the mail yet. All the damage to my car and they'res was cosmetic.

The first car, the one I was in, was a total loss.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

ArmitageShanks

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:15 am

In 1995 I was in a van with my mom and dad and we were hit by a train- front passenger side. The crossing had no warning lights and it was blocked on both sides so we couldn't see. We edged out and thought it was clear, but the train was a comin. No time to dodge it and it hit. It started to drag us down the tracks and my mom told me to jump the hell out, which I did. We all got out without a scratch.

Another time I was a passenger in a small truck with a friend of mine and we lost it on a corner. He had a concussion and was taken to the hospital and I was cut by the seatbelt. It was cool.

erikwilliam

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 29):
In 1995 I was in a van with my mom and dad and we were hit by a train- front passenger side. The crossing had no warning lights and it was blocked on both sides so we couldn't see. We edged out and thought it was clear, but the train was a comin. No time to dodge it and it hit. It started to drag us down the tracks and my mom told me to jump the hell out, which I did. We all got out without a scratch.

I never knew Bruce Willis was part of a.net  stirthepot 

LOT767-300ER

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 29):

Allright there Marty McFly and Jennifer.

Jetsgo

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:38 am

Yes, back in Febuary, my mother was rear ended by a fairly large moving van:

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

senorcarnival

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:45 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 20):

It was not a Chrysler product. It was a 1991 Honda Civic DX.
Summer of 2000, I get in my car and turn on the A/C, assuming that the smoke coming from the A/C vents was steam, as cars sometimes do in very hot days. It wouldn't stop, so I pulled over and I started looking around to see if there was anything wrong, I opened the hood. Nothing. Underneath, nothing. I look behind the A/c and radio console and there's fire. The car was all burned in a matter of minutes. Appearently there was a fuse shorted or something like that.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

ShyFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:15 am

Although the picture doesn't show it too well, there is $6000 worth of damage. The bumper, rear body pan, receiver hitch, and the muffler assembly were all replaced. The rear lift gate sustained minor dents, which were pulled out. (Photo Date: March 19, 2005)

I was hit from behind (obviously  tongue  ) by a Toyota Camry whose driver wasn't paying attention to the fact that she was approaching a construction zone with traffic stopped in the right hand lane (left lane was closed up ahead) and she was speading. She hit the brakes a little to late, then BOOM!
I lift things up and put them down.

Springbok747

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:34 am

I have never crashed my car, but my car has been crashed into 3 times. This happened the last time around....thankfully no one was hurt, and my car is all fixed now..as good as new Big grin

אני תומך בישראל

damirc

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:48 am

Driving since '95 and so far only managed to hit 2 deer ... both in 2003 and both with the same car ...

First one was at around 2.30 am and I was driving home ... the road was curving to the left and just across the top of a hill a deer jumped in front of the car ... I had no time left to react and hit it dead on .. Of course it didn't help the situation that I was driving around 120 kph (75 mph) at the time   Total damages around $2500 .. kudos to BMW ... noone but the deer got hurt  

Second one was 2 months later ... high grass on the shoulder ... and a young deer poked it's head out from the grass just in time to get it whacked by the front right corner of the car :] The damage? $20 for a busted blinker. Unfortunately - out of all times ... the fuel pump died after I stopped the car to see what has happened and I coudln't restart the car ... so add $100 for towing services ...

Now here's the interesting part to the second one ... under Slovenian traffic law you're not required to call the police unless there are material damages on public property or persons injured. So I decided not to call the police (still had nightmares about dealing with the insurance company, so I didn't want any more of it). Along comes another driver - stops at the side of the road ... asks me whether I'll be calling the cops ... neh ... then he suggest I take the deer (beg your pardon?) neh ... then decides he will take the deer ... throws it in the trunk and off he went. So I'm at the side of the road ... trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with the car ... calling a friend who should've been nearby to tow me, and then the cell phone battery dies on me. Argh.

So I curse at the car and along comes a guy with a dog in his car ... asks me whether I've seen that someone hit a deer ... I proceed to explain him that yes, in fact that was me - turns out he was a local hunter and he came to pick up the deer... (someone driving past called him - supposedly a cousin of him). So after learning that someone took the deer he then proceeded to call the cops and report (you won't believe it) ... one STOLEN deer. Guess the cops must've laughed harder than I was since they never did show up (had to wait for the tow truck for almost an hour). :]

[and no, I have not yet applied for an honorary hunter license ...  ]

D.

[Edited 2005-06-07 03:50:29]

UAL747

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:51 am

OMG, I beat the hell out of my last BMW. I wrecked that thing 4 times, but 3 of them weren't my fault.

One of the wrecks which was not my fault cost my insurance company $19,459. Took 2 months to fix. I drove a hybrid car in the meantime LOL!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AR1300

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 am

Nope.Not MY car....My best friends' twice, the same freakin' day.The first time was just the mirror on the side, so nothing major, just a few scratches  Wink
But the second time, as I was passing thru Northeastern Illinois University Campus, as went trhu a stop sign at 11 MPH(so the officer told me), and after he flashed me to stop, I backed up because I didn't pull nicely, and smashed the cops car.And riped of my bumper.And, to make things worse, I didn't have a licence then.I'm still trying to figure out how the hell did I get away in that one.

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

MxCtrlr

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:44 am

Crashed mine once back in the early 80's. Seems I fell asleep driving home from work and woke up coming back from the windshield (I broke it with my forehead - OUCH). Worn seatbelts ever since that day!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

erikwilliam

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:08 pm

aloges

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:49 pm

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 40):
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=SRgtiFIRE

pretty much like this then?

Serves 'em right for ricing out a Golf and being too stupid to apply the extinguisher correctly!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MD-90

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:51 pm

Technically it was my fault – but she was behind me and hit me.

How was it your fault?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Fleetwing1627/right_front.jpg

Failed to yield through an intersection, got hit by a Chevy 1500 truck. Pretty good whack.

Other than that, once ran over some railroad ties with the station wagon, when driving down a farmer's dirt road (they where hidden in the grass and I was going to fast). A little cosmetic damage from that. Then after that, I rear-ended a Chevy Tahoe in the same Cressida. The lady started to go, then stopped. I was looking back at traffic (we were in a merging lane that had a yield sign), and as I swiveled my head forwards, there she was. It literally scratched a little plastic piece of her bumper, but seriously bashed in my car's grill and one headlight, because her bumper completely overrid mine.

alphafloor

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:48 pm

I've never crashed my car... But I crashed a friend's mother car some years ago, but I had a good excuse : I didn't have driver license at that time.

Wink

Alphafloor
Whatever

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:00 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 42):
The lady started to go, then stopped. I was looking back at traffic (we were in a merging lane that had a yield sign), and as I swiveled my head forwards, there she was.

Pretty much the exact same thing that happened to me, just that it was a stoplight. $3000 damage on my car, all internal. Btw, airbags are EXPENSIVE! Thank god for insurance  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

QANTASforever

Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:13 pm

I lost my pride and joy - my Jaguar S-Type about 4 or 5 months back. Some idiot Italian (who turned out to be drunk) was speeding on the corniche north of Monaco. Anyone familiar with this area knows it is a VERY dangerous stretch of road. The guy was cutting corners, and on one very sharp bend he came around and slammed into the front-left hand side of the bonnet. My car was written off, and I haven't yet replaced it. The other driver was arrested and charged with drink driving. The French court gave him a big fine and banned him from driving in France for an extended period! Thankfully no one else was in the car with me at the time. But it could have been nasty... very nasty indeed.

To this day I don't feel comfortable driving on those mountain roads unless conditions are close to perfect.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

777ER
Crew

Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:09 pm

Yip, a few months ago while I was reversing into a car park in central Wellington, my foot slipped of the brake pedal and went onto the pedal that I didn't want to use during reversing. I mounted the curb and slammed onto a small concrete wall that forms a garden. The dent and scratches in the lower left back bumper is still there. At the time I had only had the car for a few months. Damange goes from the end of the bumper to the mud guard and about 60 cms from the left side of the bumper towards the right side

Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

AC_A340

Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:42 am

My car has been crashed into.

It was January of 2004, about -30 outside, lots of snow and ice. I was in a parking lot, driving at a conservative speed across the rows of parking. My car (Cavalier) was T-Boned in the driver's side door by a Ford Explorer going in the neighborhood of 20 mph. The impact pushed the front of my car into a parked Ford Thunderbird. His vehicle then somehow turned parallel to mine, and he somehow broadsided my driver's side, with the passenger side of his car. Thankfully I got out with very minor injuries (few pulled muscles) and he was uninjured. His insurance company accepted liability (it was his third accident in about 2 months and he was 16 years old). The airbags on my car never went off since it was a side impact, and his was not equipped with airbags. The total damage to my car was somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000, and basically the entire left side of my car, and front bumber and headlight needed to be replaced.