chris78cpr

Rules Of The Air.....

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:52 am

RULES of the AIR:
1. Every take-off is option. Every landing is mandatory;
2. If you push the stick forward the houses get bigger, if you pull the stick back they get smaller, if you keep pulling it back they get bigger again;
3. Flying isn't dangerous - crashing is dangerous;
4. It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here;
5. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire;
6. The propellor is just a big fan at the front of the plane to keep the pilot cool, when it stops you can actually see the pilot begin to sweat;
7. When in doubt, on onto your altitude, no one ever colided with the sky;
8. A good landing is when you can walk away, a great one is when you can use the plane again;
9. Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself;
10. You know if you've forgotten to lower the undercart for landing if it takes full power to taxi to the apron;
11. The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival:
12. Never let the plane take you to where your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier;
13. Stay out of clouds, the silver lining might be another aeroplane coming the other way. Also mountains have been known to hide in clouds;
14. Try to keep the number of landings you've made equal to the number of take-offs you've made;
15. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing - unfortunately no-one knows what they are;
16. You start with a full tank of luck and an empty tank of experience - the trick is to fill the later before the former runs dry;
17. Helicopters can't fly, they're just so ugly the earth repels them;
18. If all you can see is the earth going round and round, and all you can hear is commotion from the passengers, things are not going as well as they should be;
19. In the on-going battle between hurtling pieces of aluminium and static ground, the ground has yet to lose;
20. Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately the experience usually comes from bad judgement;
21. it's always a good idea to keep the pointy bit going forward as much as possible;
22. Keep looking around, there's always something you've missed;
23. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law, and it's not subject to repeal;
24. The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, the runway behind you and a tenth of a second ago.

Finally, I'd like to die in my sleep like my father, not screaming in terror like his passengers...

:D Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

flyAUA

RE: Rules Of The Air.....

Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting Chris78cpr (Thread starter):

These are great Big grin
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Mir

Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:39 am

Quoting Chris78cpr (Thread starter):
14. Try to keep the number of landings you've made equal to the number of take-offs you've made;

I think I've made about three times as many landings as takeoffs. I always end up bouncing on the runway.  irked 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flymia

Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:59 am

Yea those are good ones.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

flyAUA

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
I think I've made about three times as many landings as takeoffs. I always end up bouncing on the runway.

Try a slower flare next time  tongue 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

TedTAce

Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:47 am

17 is new to me, and hilarious!!!
This space intentionally left blank