PHLBOS
Topic Author

Shark Attack In New Jersey: 1st In 30 Years

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:12 am

Apparently this happened last Sunday at Surf City, NJ.

Thankfully, the attack on the surfer's foot wasn't fatal.

See below-link for story:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4582863/detail.html
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Superfly

RE: Shark Attack In New Jersey: 1st In 30 Years

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:18 am

Glad to hear the guy is alright.
Here in San Francisco, we have lots of shark encounters. Yet those diehards are out there every day surfing.

[Edited 2005-06-09 20:30:05]
Bring back the Concorde

FDXmech

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:20 am

The town I live in NJ had a shark attack killing two kids in 1916. The shark swam up a brackish creek.
You're only as good as your last departure.

WellHung

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
Here in San Francisco, we have lots of shark attacks.

If you can provide statistics to counter those below, please do. Otherwise, don't make claims you can't substantiate.

I would hardly call 2 a year along the ENTIRE coast "lots".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...?file=/c/a/2003/08/20/MN253292.DTL

attacks by great white sharks -- and all sharks, for that matter -- are exceedingly rare. There have been 106 shark attacks along the West Coast since the Department of Fish and Game began keeping statistics in 1952. Just 10 have been fatal.

Superfly

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:29 am

WellHung:
Perhaps I should have re-worded my post. Shark 'encounters' are common and they have taken bites out of surfboards.

Dude calm down, it's not that serious.
Bring back the Concorde

tristarenvy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:34 am

We get a few in FLA. It's more common to get nailed by a stingray. They encourage folks to do the "stingray shuffle" by dragging ones feet along the bottom when you are in the water to let 'em know you are coming.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

PHLBOS
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 2):
The town I live in NJ had a shark attack killing two kids in 1916. The shark swam up a brackish creek.

There were actually four fatal shark attacks in NJ that year... within 12 days and within a 5 miles(?) of each other.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/11848299.htm

Exceprt from the above-article on NJ's recorded 5 fatal attacks:

Five fatal shark attacks have been recorded in the state, including four attributed to a great white that prowled the coast in 1916 and inspired the story behind Jaws. The fifth fatal attack was in 1926.

Side Note: It was around this time 30 years ago that Jaws was first released in theaters.

[Edited 2005-06-09 20:41:16]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

WellHung

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
it's not that serious.

I disagree. A shark attack IS serious. Just ask anyone who's ever been attacked by one. If people like you spread lies and misinformation such as that quoted above, it could impact one's desire to go swimming in a particular region, affect tourism, etc.

One example from the 2001 Florida shark attack frenzy:

Richard Vyse, manager of the New Smyrna Beach Holiday Inn and Suites, said that since Friday he has lost almost 60 percent of his Labor Day reservations because of the shark scare, even though most of the shark encounters have been north of his hotel.

Thank you for the clarification. But if you don't feel it's serious, don't make up lies about it. Or just check a source. That's not too much to ask. Maybe you just like to seem like you know what you're talking about and hope no one will call you one it... who knows. Nevertheless, a lesson learned.

Superfly

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:54 am

Welling:
Of course a shark attack is serious. There is nothing in it for me to 'lie' about a shark attack. Scroll up and re-read my first post.

Wait a minute!
Why am I wasting my time arguing with WellHung?  banghead 
Bring back the Concorde

drerx7

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:58 am

They say it was either a young white shark or a sandbar shark--anybody have anymore in depth news on that. The shark responsible for those 1916 attacks was a Bull Shark--it can swim in fresh water.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

September11

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:58 am

Maybe the Shark smelled his feet and decided to .... attack him. What a bad luck!
Airliners.net of the Future

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 9):
They say it was either a young white shark or a sandbar shark--anybody have anymore in depth news on that. The shark responsible for those 1916 attacks was a Bull Shark--it can swim in fresh water

If you're talking about the one in NJ when the shark swam up the stream and killed a dog and a kid it was a Great White. I watched a documentary on it, it was a freak one, going into the stream and all.
Go big or go home

drerx7

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:04 am

It was not a Great White that swam up the creek--it was a Bull Shark--Great Whites cannot swim in fresh water--that documentary says they thought it was a White shark at first--but it was a Bull Shark as revealed later in the show.

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 12):
White shark at first--but it was a Bull Shark as revealed later in the show.

Hmm... I don't know. I did see it a while ago. But I always thought it was a freak thing by the GW. Like how its the only shark that leaps out of the water.
Go big or go home

drerx7

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 am

Yeah--the proof came in that the attacks occured in fresh water--the Bull Shark is the only shark that can live in fresh water--they've been found in the Mississippi, Amazon, and Lake Ponchatrain--and in inland waterways on the Gulf Coast.

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:26 am

Go big or go home

MD-90

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:36 am

From AA61Hvy's link, I'd be interested to know if this picture, alledgedly of a tiger shark in Australia, is real.

Newark777

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:37 am

I was swimming off that beach last weekend. Scary stuff.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

gocaps16

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 am

Surf City, NJ is a great place to surf here on the east coast....but hey, shiite happens. Everyone is just glad that he was okay...at least he didn't get swallowed up for good, ya know.

Kevin

aa61hvy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
Here in San Francisco, we have lots of shark encounters. Yet those diehards are out there every day surfing.

Just out of curiousity where do they surf in SF? The only decent place to surf that I can think of in N. CA is Half Moon Bay (Mavericks)
Go big or go home

LHMark

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:44 am

Shark attacks are pretty uncommon on the Jersey shore. We do Our best to kill any sharks that venture too close.

Signed,

Hypodermic needles and pink jellyfish
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Newark777

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:13 am

Shark attacks are pretty uncommon on the Jersey shore. We do Our best to kill any sharks that venture too close.

Signed,

I'm just jealous because there's nothing nice near me.

Signed,
Everyone from upstate New York

[Edited 2005-06-10 04:13:50]
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

KROC

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 20):

Signed,

Nothing like Jersey getting the crap kicked out of it again. Jersey, the Robin Ventura of the U.S.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 21):
I'm just jealous because there's nothing nice near me.

Signed,
Everyone from upstate New York

Awwwww, how cute. Someone from New Jersey is trying to bang on Upstate NY. Lucky for us LHMark, we live in Western NY, but I'll play along. Let's compare city boy. We have reasonable living costs here. We can rent 2 houses for what a studio apartment costs in the big city...unless you live in Newark...the biggest waste of space outside of the South. For water activities not only is there Lake Ontario, but also the finger lakes that all provide different things...oh and they are all shark free. We have not only a decent mid-sized city, but with a short drive we also have wide open spaces. Mountains, lakes, winery's trails ect. All 30 minutes or so away from the nearest Best Buy or Home Depot. Oh, and we can also all own cars over here and we don't have to worry about some scumbag from Newark jacking our ride (as we all know they are too busy in their own pit of a city to bother with cars 6 hours away). The best thing about New Jersey is a fictional T.V. show about the Mafia. Hell, didn't the U.S. try and give Britian Jersey back a few years ago and they wouldn't even take it? Don't pile on us becuase you have an inferiority complex to NYC and any place that has more flowers in the city then dead bodys, drug users, and needles lying around.

LHMark

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:07 pm

Ease up, KROC. From Bayonne to Cape May, The Jersey Shore has a lot going for it, too. Great pizza, for one thing. And Jersey leads the nation in license plate production and asphalt per square mile. Also, don't forget about the sports teams- The Nets, the Giants, the Newark Bears and the Trenton Whatevers. And driving the NJ turnpike is a great experience when traffic is actually moving, you get to test your brakes every couple miles when you have to come to a dead stop to throw a quarter into a basket.

As for the Jersey Shore (aka the "Italian Riviera"), Those beaches that aren't eroding into nothingness can be quite lovely. They proudly sell the New Jerseyite's favorite snack, salty taffy, and the shore features some of the world's oldest log flume rides on it's myriad boardwalks.

In addition, the Jersey Shore proudly boasts the "Las Vegas of the East," That jewel in the sandy crown- Atlantic City, a textbook example on what large-scale legal gambling can do to really turn a city around.

All in all, the Jersey Shore is a wonderful place to unwind, relax, and maybe get a tentacle burn or two. As the travel agents like to say:

"New Jersey- take a vacation from your vacation."
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

FDXmech

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 14):
Yeah--the proof came in that the attacks occured in fresh water--the Bull Shark is the only shark that can live in fresh water--they've been found in the Mississippi, Amazon, and Lake Ponchatrain--and in inland waterways on the Gulf Coast.

Matawan Creek is brackish water. Goes up and down with the tide.

Superfly

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 19):
Just out of curiousity where do they surf in SF? The only decent place to surf that I can think of in N. CA is Half Moon Bay (Mavericks)

Half Moon Bay is just a 25 minute drive down Pacific Coast Hiway.
Half Moon Bay is a small sleepy town for now with a few little shops that surfers like to hang out. Pacifica is also another surfer haven. Pacifica is just a 5 minute drive away from SF.
I live just 5 blocks from the beach and there are a lot of surfers there too because of ease of parking. The waves get very intense even on the coast of San Francisco.
Bring back the Concorde

drerx7

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 24):
Matawan Creek is brackish water. Goes up and down with the tide.

refer to http://www.njscuba.net/biology/sw_fish_sharks_inshore.html pretty good explanation of the Matawan Creek incident.

FDXmech

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:04 am

Thanks for the link.

I live a few hundred yards from that spot.

When I was young my dad used to tell me stories of the attack. Yet it almost seemed like folklore back then. Nobody else had really known about it except for a few old time Matawan residents that he was friends with in the fire department. Undoubtably that's where my dad heard it. When I retold the story, it was simply not taken seriously.

Then, "Jaws", came out and the incident was alluded to. Then the History Channel had an episode on it and it became well documented. Yet I would guess a large amount of area residents still aren't aware this actually happened.

Surprisingly there are no plaques, markers or anything I'm aware that marks the site or the events that unfolded so many years ago. I'm even unsure to the exact spot this occured on the creek though I think know the general area.

PHLBOS
Topic Author

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 9):
They say it was either a young white shark or a sandbar shark--anybody have anymore in depth news on that.

Another exerpt from the earlier-posted Philadelphia Inquirer article regarding the type of shark suspected in Sunday's attack (for those that aren't registered).

(George)Burgess, one of the nation's top shark-attack experts and curator of the International Shark Attack File, said the deep, slashlike bite on the top of Horton's foot was characteristic of a white shark, whose teeth are serrated "like a steak knife."

The photo, he said, showed "clear impressions" of three upper-jaw teeth and a laceration nearly to the bone - a hallmark of the great white's powerful jaw.

"The more I've looked at the photograph, the more I'm convinced that it was a small white shark," Burgess said yesterday. "It's the No. 1 suspect."

He said the time of year and cold water also eliminated other suspects, such as a bull shark or a dusky shark. They typically do not appear in New Jersey waters until late summer.

Superfly

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:23 am

I remember a fisherman cause a small tiger shark off a pier downtown San Francisco several years ago. It was about 5 feet long.
I didn't see him catch it but it was strange to see a 5 foot long Tiger Shark on the pier while others were just strolling along enjoying there lunch break.
Bring back the Concorde

baylorairbear

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:29 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 13):
Like how its the only shark that leaps out of the water.

Macos also breech.

Quoting KROC (Reply 22):
the biggest waste of space outside of the South.

What the hell does that mean?

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
They typically do not appear in New Jersey waters until late summer.

Hmmm, just like a great white.

characteristic of a white shark, whose teeth are serrated "like a steak knife."

Most all shark teeth are serrated.

BaylorAirBear
I'm just skipping stones...

PHLBOS
Topic Author

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 30):
characteristic of a white shark, whose teeth are serrated "like a steak knife."

Most all shark teeth are serrated.

Some samples of shark teeth (a great white's is shown on the second photo below)

http://www.sharkmans-world.com/images/teeth.jpg

While many sharks have serrated teeth, a great white's serrations (word?) are much closer together than other shark types.

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 30):
They typically do not appear in New Jersey waters until late summer.

Hmmm, just like a great white.

Even though the words are from an article and not my own, I would suggest that you post the preceeding sentence as well; it puts the second sentence in its proper context (see below).

He said the time of year and cold water also eliminated other suspects, such as a bull shark or a dusky shark. They typically do not appear in New Jersey waters until late summer.

baylorairbear

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:05 am

PHLBOS, the context is the same. I'm scrutinizing his comments, not yours. The environmental conditions make it no more likely that a white shark would be there. If bulls and duskies etc. were eliminated as suspect because of season and temp, then the white would be logically eliminated as well. And the image of that white tooth is magnified. You'll also note that it is nearly identical to the bull's. And only for the sake of argument (I'm not tooting my own horn), I am the "Animal Care Manager of Fish and Invertebrates" at a local zoo, and I am a graduate student of marine biology.

BaylorAirBear

PHLBOS
Topic Author

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 32):
I am the "Animal Care Manager of Fish and Invertebrates" at a local zoo, and I am a graduate student of marine biology.

BaylorAirBear,

No earlier offense taken.  Smile

For what it's worth, the portion of the article that I posted were quotes from a George H. Burgess; who's the Director of the Florida Program for Shark Research. Maybe I should've copied & posted that part of the article too (my bad). I don't have any more information on him nor know how long he's been in the postition but I am assuming that he's been in the field longer than you have (no offense). Therefore, his assumptions are more likely to be correct, although not always.

Futhermore, unlike the 1916 Matawan Creek attacks; last Sunday's attack occured along a more typical (and usual) salt water shoreline where one would more likely encounter sharks, even a great white.

baylorairbear

Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:36 am

No worries! Big grin Burgess is quite authoritative when it comes to shark bites. I don't doubt that, considering the number of cases he has reviewed, he can make a very good educated and probable guess at the type of shark in question. However, in my humble opinion, this is a case where like species (similar bite patterns) can create a big gray area. From what I've read and heard of this case, probable speculation is out of the question. Not withstanding a concise eyewitness account, it is likely that the true 'identity' of the shark will never be known. So lets hope this isn't the start of another frenzy. And I don't think he's out to get whites either. I'm also quite certain that he has a great deal more experience than I do.  Smile And finally, I can say with %100 confidence that this was indeed a shark bite. I don't think a winking smiley is need here. Ah what the hell  Wink .

BaylorAirBear

Eric777

Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:05 pm

I do remember reading about the Matawan Creek attack when I was down in LBI 3 weeks ago. I was in the Beach haven area shortly before this latest attack. Shark or not, this area is still a great place to vacation.

As PHLBOS said, this occurred out along a true shoreline. So it shouldn't be all that surprising.