Matt D
Topic Author

Any SoCal'ers Feel The Quake This Morning?

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:54 am

I was having breakfast with my dad and Jen at the Corona Hometown Buffet on McKinley and 91 when it hit. Around 8:40 or so it hit. It lasted only a few seconds. Most people didn't even look up, as we've all felt them many times before. We paused for a second and then went right back to our meals and conversations.

I guess it was centered out in the low desert in the Palm Springs/Salton Sea area, which, fortunately, is lightly populated.

futureualpilot

RE: Any SoCal'ers Feel The Quake This Morning?

Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:16 am

Nope, I slept right through it, but unfortunatley my mom woke me up afterwards asking if I was ok or if I felt it...(heres your sign anybody?).
Life is better when you surf.

TAM1079

Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:22 am

It felt it this morning as I was getting up. Rattled pretty good here in SD.

texan

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:12 am

Quake was centered at Lat 33.53, Long -116.57, just south of Palm Springs. Palm Springs is at Lat 33.49, Long -116.31. Measured 5.6 on the Richter Scale, occured at 15:41:46 13.5 miles below the surface.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:41 am

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MD11LuxuryLinr

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 1):
Nope, I slept right through it, but unfortunatley my mom woke me up afterwards asking if I was ok or if I felt it...(heres your sign anybody?).

rotfl  Maybe old Jeff Foxworthy could add that to his routine.
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

vivek0072

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:29 am

I did feel it, my house is close to the railway tracks, my friends and neighbours said it may be the train.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

mdsh00

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 am

I felt it. The first tremor woke me up, and about 5 seconds later the shaking started and lasted for about another 5 seconds. No biggie, went back to sleep.  Smile
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

aa777jr

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:49 am

Folks had just flowed home to SNA, and were in the Newport Beach home on their anniversary when the quake started. It vibrated the window blinds and pushed their huge couch off the wall. My mom knew immediately what was happening and ran to start opening all the doors to their home and windows. My dad was sort of in disbelief thinking a truck was rumbling by or something.

Scary stuff.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 am

ran to start opening all the doors to their home and windows

Why? To vent gas if there's a leak?

It used to be an old wives' tale to do that before a tornado struck; it's now a very stupid thing to do.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aa777jr

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:17 am

It was purely for structural precautions. It's recommended by the earthquake insurance people in the greater Los Angeles area. Wood can obviously flex even during a trimmer and it was suggested to guard against a million dollar claim in the event there was damage to their house.

Glad it wasn't a big one!

Regards.

[Edited 2005-06-13 01:19:00]
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

N1120A

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:24 am

Well, I did not feel anything in Camarillo, for what that is worth
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

aerobalance

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:27 am

Yes, it was very cool.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

IHadAPheo

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:58 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 10):
It was purely for structural precautions. It's recommended by the earthquake insurance people in the greater Los Angeles area. Wood can obviously flex even during a trimmer

I guess that is where all the damage in the movie Earthquake came from, O J the security guard kept on closing and locking all the doors (Oh that was The Towering Inferno)

Hmm, the only thing I can ever remember about about opening doors and windows in a quake was in an old hospital 50's evacuation drill book that recomended this in case of after shocks to avoid having the doors jam shut thus hindering evacuation.

The things you find the sub basement while storing paper work are quite interesting.

I have only ever felt a small tremor once or twice here, I did not feel anything today (being a few thousand miles away might have help on this)

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

DLKAPA

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:11 am

Quoting MD11LuxuryLinr (Reply 5):
Maybe old Jeff Foxworthy could add that to his routine.

Actually that's Bill Engval's routine.

Complements of another Blue Collar star.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

mdsh00

Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:29 am

It was purely for structural precautions. It's recommended by the earthquake insurance people in the greater Los Angeles area. Wood can obviously flex even during a trimmer and it was suggested to guard against a million dollar claim in the event there was damage to their house.

I don't ever remember learning anything like that. Just the usual "duck and cover" or stand under a doorway. I think this might be more important for older homes.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

norcal

Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:34 am

Didn't feel anything up North. If it isn't above a four I'm not getting out of bed.

We are really over due for a big one

zotan

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:23 pm

I felt it down down in San Diego, was on a.net at the time. I sometimes lean back in my chair so just the back 2 legs are on the ground. I was doing it at the time of the earthquake and I fell backwards onto my floor. I watched my lamp swining from the ground.

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:20 am

Wood can obviously flex even during a trimmer and it was suggested to guard against a million dollar claim in the event there was damage to their house.

It's possible you meant "tremor", but that's besides the case.

Running around a home opening doors and windows during a quake is the absolutely most delusional idea dreamed up in the recesses of the minds of the insurance companies, if this is truly the case.

A door that is already closed helps to reinforce the structure of a wall. If the door becomes stuck, it is far easier to break through an interior door than a pile of debris that has collapsed on top of you.

What was ingrained into me during earthquake drills all the way from elementary school and beyond is one central thing. If you can move, and I've been in two quakes where I couldn't, stand nearest to a doorway, and if it's in a sustaining wall, all the better.

No wonder so many people die in kooky ways during disasters. Sheesh.
International Homo of Mystery