WindowSeat
Topic Author

Your Favourite Hotel Chain?

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:12 am

So, most of us travel for business and/or leisure. Some less some more. This thread is open for everyone from million milers to the once-a-year Florida bound.

Simple question: What is your favourite hotel chain/company and why?

NOT a particular hotel, but an entire company with its brands. You may like some outstanding hotels that the world has to offer, but as a company who do you prefer? Are you loyal to them? What do you like the most, the decor, the service, the frequent stay program, or rates?

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

NUAir

RE: Your Favourite Hotel Chain?

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:24 am

Formula 1 in Europe  Smile

Nothing beats a room with bunk beds

For business travel nothing beats OMNI hotels. The one in Houston is one of my favorites.

"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:29 am

OBEROIs
Def
 bigthumbsup 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:32 am

Hands Down, Marriott.

They have never let me down anywhere in the world . . . the Marriott standard is tough, hard to beat, excellent.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

September11

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:34 am

My favorite hotel chain is Marriott ... Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, so on ...

I remember Marriott food service trucks at airports ... the good old days
Airliners.net of the Future

Jkw777

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:39 am

Vik, did you need to even ask me?!  Smile

Starwood, Starwood, and Starwood baby!

Cheers,
Justin Big grin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

HOMER71

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:44 am

Westin and their "heavenly" beds!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Jkw777

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:46 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 6):
Westin and their "heavenly" beds!

Westin are part of the Starwood Group! Big grin

Rock on with the beds and the shower!!

Cheers,
Justin  Wink
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

UAL747

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:54 am

Ritz-Carlton (Sometimes way overpriced, but personal attention is wonderful).

Leading Hotels of the World (Has a lot of hotels that are very historic and great service, especially in Asia)

The W Hotels (Great for the young hip crowd. Very modern.)

Then of course, there is the Burj Al-Arab, in which someday I will stay there, just have to save the money first HAHA).

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

FlagshipFalcon

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:08 am

I gotta go wit Jkw777 on this one...Starwood rocks. You can't beat Sheraton or Westin. They are among the best in the world. Always look forward to that heavenly bed!

-Falcon

vivek0072

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:44 am

Marriott, my fav always.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

xpat

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:44 am

ANCFlyer, September 11, and Vivek I personally thank you for your endorsements.  

[Edited 2005-06-16 20:49:18]
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting FlagshipFalcon (Reply 9):
I gotta go wit Jkw777 on this one...Starwood rocks. You can't beat Sheraton or Westin.

But thats not all Starwood has to offer. Starwood Hotels & Resorts include Sheraton, Westin, St. Regis, W Hotels and The Luxury Collection. http://www.starwood.com

Some of the best hotels in the world.

cheers

Quoting Jkw777 (Reply 5):

Big grin
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

Sabena332

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:22 am

Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental when it has to be a little bit more exclusive, otherwise I am fine with Sheraton or Holiday Inn.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jetBlue190

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:23 am

Quoting Jkw777 (Reply 5):

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 8):
Ritz-Carlton (Sometimes way overpriced, but personal attention is wonderful).

Leading Hotels of the World (Has a lot of hotels that are very historic and great service, especially in Asia)

Those three and the Four Seasons make up my favourite chains. And if I ever get to stay at the Burj-al-Arab, I may just change my mind.

-jB190
"Look into his eyes and you can see, why all the little kids are dressed in dreams..."

UAL747

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:32 am

Starwood Hotels are a nice moderate chain. Not necessarily luxurious, but definitely a nice stay. And they have lots of benefits, i.e. Frequent Flyer miles, etc. They also have some historic hotels in Europe if I'm not mistaken. When I was in Rome, I stayed at the Excelsior, which I believe at the time was a Starwood product.

I really don't stick with a hotel chain though. I find the best hotel for the best price. I also like historic hotels with a lot of old world charm. JW Marriot is very good as well if you are into the more modern thing.

Quoting JetBlue190 (Reply 14):
Those three and the Four Seasons make up my favourite chains. And if I ever get to stay at the Burj-al-Arab, I may just change my mind.

For some reason, I find the Four Seasons a little bit like a "Cookie Cutter" hotel. There is rarely much difference between them. But, I will say they are one of the best hotels in the world, out performing Ritz-Carlton, but for some reason I tend to like Ritz-Carltons. Especially those huge fluffy bathrobes!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

andz

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:35 am

NUair where in South Africa is that Formule 1?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Tom in NO

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:43 am

We'll stick with the Holiday Inn group. We used to be a Hampton Inn family, but they got too pricey for what was delivered.

Nowadays, it's Holiday Inn Express as a 1-night stay, this past weekend, we spent 4 nights in the Staybridge Suites in Houston. We were quoted $89.99 a night for a two-room suite with a daily full breakfast and midweek supper, and was upgraded to a 3-room, two-bedroom suite at the same rate (usually $240.00 a night).

Tom at MSY

[Edited 2005-06-16 22:09:49]
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ACDC8

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:46 am

Marriot's are always really good. I also don't mind Best Western or Holiday Inn.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

BMIFlyer

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:53 am

I either stay at the Holiday Inn or Days Inn.

Whenever im at IAD overnight, I use the Days Inn.

However there is an exception, when im at ORD I use the Hilton  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

jetBlue190

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 15):
For some reason, I find the Four Seasons a little bit like a "Cookie Cutter" hotel. There is rarely much difference between them.

I find that somewhat true, especially in the quality of service, there isn't much difference. But having stayed at their Las Vegas and Great Exuma (Bahamas) locations, maybe I wouldn't have picked up on more of what you're talking about.

But, I will say they are one of the best hotels in the world, out performing Ritz-Carlton, but for some reason I tend to like Ritz-Carltons. Especially those huge fluffy bathrobes!

The Ritz-Carlton is very nice as well, unfortunately, my last experience with them was in an unpleasant area. I stayed in the room for pretty much the entire one-night stay due to the area. The bathrobes are nice though.  Smile

-jB190
"Look into his eyes and you can see, why all the little kids are dressed in dreams..."

MD11junkie

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:00 am

Best two Hotel chains IMO

are:

1. Meliá
and
2. Marriott

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:22 am

Starwood Hotels are a nice moderate chain. Not necessarily luxurious, but definitely a nice stay.

er...if I may, Starwood Hotels may have some moderate hotels, like a few Sheratons or Four Points, but you gotta admit, the Westins are really nice with the Heavenly Shower and the Heavenly Bed.

When I was in Rome, I stayed at the Excelsior, which I believe at the time was a Starwood product.

Yes the Excelsior is a Starwood hotel. There are some really really beautiful hotels as part of 'The Luxury Collection'. If you get to stay at one of those, you'll never call Starwood a moderate chain.

UAL747

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:58 am

Forgive me Windowseat, as my only experience with starwood is the Galleria Westin in Dallas, and the Excelsior. Though, I must admit that The Luxury Collection looks great. Doesn't Starwood also own the W hotels?

UAL

SignalOne

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:59 am

I have a lot of experience with all the Hotel stuff.

A family member used to work in the industry and my friends family manage 2 Hotels in the Area. (Days Hotel and Holiday Inn express).

I used to go to work with my mum at the Marriott near me, and I must say, despite being able to see the "Back of House" operation (stuff guests don't normally see) I think that the Marriott brand is the best Hotel chain. They strive for perfection every time.

Marriott is part of the Whitbread group in some hotels in England, who also own Travel Inn Hotels and a number of Marriott Courtyard and Country Club hotels.

Whitbread have dropped a number of Marriott hotels though in the U.K, as they are not making enough profit as far as I know. The one I used to help out as has been dropped by Whitbread I think, and is now just a fully Marriott Hotel.

Another good Hotel Chain in England is Swallow Hotels. Marriott purchased a number of their Hotels a few year back, but they are slowly expanding their Location Portfolio.

There isn't a Hotel Group in the U.K that I would consider as bad. I don't think.

Cheers, Ryan

[Edited 2005-06-16 23:12:13]
Golf - Bravo Romeo India Foxtrot

bongo

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:04 am

Nothing beats Marriott and its brands. In addition, the Marriott Rewards programs is quite so good, in fact I'm Elite now which means I stay at Marriotts more than 10 nights a years.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 23):
Doesn't Starwood also own the W hotels?

Yes absolutely! W Hotels has been immensely successful for Starwood as a hip trendy and a very contemporary brand! W hotels have a fierce cult-like loyalty.

Quoting Bongo (Reply 25):
In addition, the Marriott Rewards programs is quite so good, in fact I'm Elite now which means I stay at Marriotts more than 10 nights a years.

Any hotel program racks you the points you want when you stay. But the key is can you spend them when you want to?

Starwood's SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) program has been winning Freddie awards for six years in a row now for being the best frequent stay program. There are NO BLACKOUT DATES. As long as the hotel is selling rooms for your dates, you can get a reward reservation.

cheers

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:27 am

Starwood, Starwood, Starwood. I LOVE Starwood. I try to always stay at Westins or Sheratons on my trips. SPG is great. When I went to Australia earlier this year 10 of my hotel nights were free through SPG.

If I can't stay at a Starwood property, Hyatt is my next choice.

I don't really like Marriotts. I find them bland and boring. They feel a notch down from Starwood hotels.
But that was when I ruled the world

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 27):
Starwood, Starwood, Starwood. I LOVE Starwood.

Thats awesome!! I was gonna say, I am adding you to my Respected Users list, but you're already on there  bigthumbsup 

AGC525

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:35 am

I'm simple, I like the Hilton chain, Hampton Inn if I can. Their nice and affordable, I've never had a problem or found them to be unsatisfactory.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

ASMD80

Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:41 am

I think that it depends on the individual hotel rather than the chain. However, me and my dad both like these chains:

Four Seasons
Hilton
Starwood (Westin, Sheraton)
Mariott
Hyatt
Best Western
Crowne Plaza/InterContinental
Wyndham

Never had a problem with most of these places. In fact, for some of these places, my dad earns AS Mileage Plan miles.
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

searpqx

Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:44 am

Starwood - my partner is Activities Bus. Mgr. for one of the Westin's on island. Also like Hyatt, though I've lost my Diamond status with them - sigh.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

allstarflyer

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:07 am

Hilton group - Hampton Inn, Doubletree, etc. - I worked for them before and during my time with the airlines, and they always had the best group of hotels. I haven't been much impressed quality-wise compared to that of the Hilton Group. I have been impressed with Hyatt's and Marriot's groups, but I guess I'm a bit biased towards the Hilton.

-R
Living the American Dream

TedTAce

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:12 am

Anywhere kids stay and eat free!!!!! Big grin
This space intentionally left blank

AC_A340

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 am

Any of the Sheraton brands are usually high quality. For a good price though, you can't beat a Super 8.

saxdiva

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:08 am

I've tended to stick with Hyatts for some reason--probably out of familiarity more than anything else.

When Dexter is along, though, we either go to Holiday Inns or Vagabond Inns (the latter seems to always be pooch-friendly).

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:15 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 31):
Starwood - my partner is Activities Bus. Mgr. for one of the Westin's on island.

Starwood has a lot of presence in Hawaii. Which hotel does he work for? I work for Starwood too.

cheers

diamond

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:19 am

For some reason, I find the Four Seasons a little bit like a "Cookie Cutter" hotel. There is rarely much difference between them. But, I will say they are one of the best hotels in the world, out performing Ritz-Carlton, but for some reason I tend to like Ritz-Carltons. Especially those huge fluffy bathrobes!

I actually prefer the Four Seasons because they are just a little bit more hip and progressive.

Every time I stay in a Ritz-Carlton I am afraid to go to sleep because I feel I will somehow awaken as a Republican. WAY too traditional for me.
Blank.

deltairlines

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 am

Well, I'm a Starwood Platinum, so I think that means I spend a lot of my times there (I've stayed in Westins, Sheratons and the St. Regis in Washington so far this year). They give me the best available room in the hotel (a lot of times, I'll get suites, which is really nice...quite a few times I've stayed in the Presidential Suites of Starwood properties), the SPG program is the best out there (many ways to earn points, transfer to airlines if needed, Platinum level bennies are nice such as complimentary club room use no matter what you paid, 500 points for just staying there (there are other Plat welcome gifts), the phone number is really nice...)

When I can't get a Starwood property, Marriott is my second choice.

Jeff

singaporegirl

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:27 am

my husband and i are obsessed with the aman resorts!

Ladies & Gentlemen, we will now demonstrate the use of the safety equipment on this aircraft...

misbeehavin

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:30 am

My top 6, in order of preference:

Four Seasons
Inter-Continental
Ritz-Carlton (very nice, but too stuffy; almost feels like a geriatric ward)
JW Marriott (except the one in Houston, which is disgusting)
Le Meridien
W Hotels

Also, some of the Hiltons are nice. Others, not so much.

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:32 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 38):
and the St. Regis in Washington so far this year).

Did you know we're opening a St. Regis in San Francisco this year? The height of San Francisco Style - opening November 2005.

cheers

deltairlines

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:36 am

Might have to consider it then...I might have to go out to San Francisco in the fall...maybe right before Thanksgiving...I'll have to consider it then...

My next Sheraton stays are next month...Burlington VT and New York (not sure which one yet...maybe one last trip to the Russell, as I'm hearing that's closing this year).

Jeff

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:06 pm

***** / **** = Sofitel
*** = Novotel

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

BNE

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:09 pm

Holiday Inn 500 points per stay plus bonuses on my Qantas Frequent Flier program.

Gotta get those points you know.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

wunala

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Shangri-La, Ritz Carlton, Outrigger and the Formule 1 at Melbourne airport. You can't beat 69 bucks 5 minute walk from the check-in.

There are other chains that have special properties, but also have a few dogs.

JGPH1A

Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:07 pm

I'm rather partial to Leading Hotels of the World, but I've only stayed in a very few...

Otherwise Grand Hyatts are nice.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:51 pm

Let's not forget 707cmf's house, stayed there a couple of times, free Internet and okay food, cheap prices but unfortunately loud snoring from the hotel manager.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

shamrock104

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:36 am

Swissotel, hands down.

desertjets

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:32 am

Marriott, Marriott, and Marriott.

No matter what property I have been at, and what type of property (Courtyard, Marriott, or JW) the level of service is consistently high. And they go out of their way to make sure stuff is done right. Plus the Marriott Burger is good eats.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia