Birdwatching
Topic Author

Why Canada = CDN? Australia = OZ?

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Here's a question that's been on my mind for some time now: Why is the Canadian currency abbreviated CDN, and also the bumper stickers for the cars, and in many other contexts? Cadana? Shouldn't the D and the N be the other way around?

Also, why is Australia always referred to as OZ? Is it because it kind of sounds like OZtralia?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

PerthGloryFan

RE: Why Canada = CDN? Australia = OZ?

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:36 pm

why is Australia always referred to as OZ? is it because it kind of sounds like OZtralia

Yep, and probably because to others it seems a bit like that place Dorothy visited.

Can't answer the first part of your question though.

The international abbrevation for Australia is AUS whereas the currency is AUD (Australian dollar I guess).

PGF

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
CDN

CDN=Canadian/Canadien depending on your preference . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ozguy

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
Is it because it kind of sounds like OZtralia?

Yep, I'd say so. Personally I really like american accents so it doesn't bother me but I think you guys would pronounce Australia closer to the way we do if it were spelt Ostralia.

plus, OzGuy just wouldn't have the same charm if spelt AusGuy...  Wink

SA7700

Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:59 pm

Actually the Canadian dollar is abbreviated as CAD and not CDN.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

You are correct about the AUS part of Australia. With time, many people started abbreviating the word Australia with Oz and today you will commonly hear people refer to Australia as Oz. It became part of the vast collection of "Aussie slang" words.

We experience it quite a lot in South Africa as well. With 11 official languages there is much to choose from and you will often hear black South Africans using English or Afrikaans words in their sentences whenever they don't have a similar word available in their particular language. However, this is not bound to black South Africans. White South Africans also have their fair share of slang - you will for instance almost never hear the word "barbeque" used in South Africa. We refer to it as a "braai".

Point being, its slang and not "proper language", but what the hell! We love to use it!

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

bill142

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:38 pm

Its actually Aussie not Ozzie. Aussie comes from our way to abreviate every single word possible and as a result we have Aus. OZ has probably been handed to us courtesy of some ignorant idiot who associated the word after watching ths Wizard of OZ, and was simply to lazy, to to stupid, to work out the spelling of Aussie.

In terms of currency our is refered to as AUD and not OZ. Anyone doing so is incorrect, ignorant and stupid.

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 5):
Aussie comes from our way to abreviate every single word possible and as a result we have Aus.

A revolting practice - in any form. That includes the 'correct' spelling of 'Aussie'.

FFS - slang, it's like cat food toilet spray.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

PerthGloryFan

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:48 pm

A revolting practice

Agreed - it's a disgusting New South Wales thing - abbreviate a word and add "ie" on the end.

Unfortunately it's crossed the Nullabor and spread to all parts of the country.

PGF

andz

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 4):
We refer to it as a "braai".

Braai is not slang, it is short for braaivleis, or grilled meat. Good Afrikaans term.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SA7700

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
Braai is not slang, it is short for braaivleis, or grilled meat. Good Afrikaans term.

Andz, you are spot on there; but remember that a word like "steak" has also found its way into the official Afrikaans/English dictionary. While we may find it acceptable, some language purists deem it a no-no.

Come to think of it, we have had a floodgate of new words and terms opened upon us in the past few years here in SA. Scholars are now referred to as learners, teachers - educators. Oh and there are some people who are REALLY particular about it. Moenie jou taal so mix nie, dis terrible!

Have a nice one Big grin

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)