trijetfan1

Minor League Baseball Drafts, Progression, Flops

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:55 am

I was just looking on MILB.com for some up and coming stars. Who so you think will become a star in the future? Who has flopped? And how has your organization drafted in the past?

Flops
Bj Garbe
Brien Taylor
Adam Johnson
Corey Smith

THIS IS MY 1000th POST!
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

garnetpalmetto

RE: Minor League Baseball Drafts, Progression, Flops

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:04 am

Well "my" organization is the Pirates, but up until last season, Columbia was home to the low-A affiliate of the Mets, the Capital City Bombers (now the Greenville Bombers). Based on players I saw there, I'd have to give a "future star" title to OF Lastings Milledge - good hitter and a natural center-fielder and to P Yusmerio Petit who simply dominated the South Atlantic League last season.

As for the Pirates, our top pick from last draft, Catcher Neil Walker is currently playing for the low-A Hickory Crawdads and I'll head up to Asheville this weekend to see him in action. As for AAA prospects, a good stable of starting pitchers with Zach Duke, Ian Snell, and Bryan Bullington.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

LHMark

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:50 pm

During the death throes of the AAA Rochester Red Wings/Baltimore Orioles affiliation, we were treated to a bunch of highly touted flops including:

Calvin Pickering
Ryan Minor
Jesse Garcia
Matt Riley
Josh Towers
Willis Otanez
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

trijetfan1

Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 1):
Bryan Bullington

Last I heard of the 1st pick overall in 2002 was that he wasn't living up to expectations
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

KROC

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:13 pm

The current NY Mets bullpen. Those Gascans couldn't hack in in Triple A, much less the majors and it shows.

Usairwys757

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):
The current NY Mets bullpen. Those Gascans couldn't hack in in Triple A, much less the majors and it shows.

The Braves bullpen makes the Mets' pen look like All Stars. And that's no exaggeration.
Inactive.....

ORFflyer

Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting Usairwys757 (Reply 5):
The Braves bullpen makes the Mets' pen look like All Stars. And that's no exaggeration.

And both are trailing the Nats right now. Who would have thunk it.

Chip

texan

Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:32 am

Josh Rupe, Ryan Snare, Ian Kinsler, John Hudgins, and Adrian Gonzalez are all looking like they could be very good major league material for the Rangers. The only problem we have is where to put them: Soriano is set at 2nd right now and Young at short, so Kinsler has no place to go; Texeira is a beast at first and Dellucci has a high OBP at DH, so Gonzalez has no place to go; and the Rangers starting pitching is doing surprisingly well (Rogers 9-2, Young 6-3, Park 7-1, Ricardo Rodriguez 2-0), so there is no place for Hudgins, Rupe, or Snare. John Danks, at AA Frisco right now, also looks like a good pitcher for us in the future (#1 pick a couple years back). The prospect I am most eager to see is Bakersfield Blaze (high A) pitcher Thomas Diamond, who is 8-0 with a 1.99 ERA and 101 K's vs. 31 BBs in 14 starts and 81.1 innings so far this year.

There have been too many busts in the Rangers drafts to count, so I won't even attempt to list them right now  Smile

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."