gkirk

US Media = Ignorant

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:12 am

Was just watching a TV Interview with the tennis player Andrew Murray, when some Yank journalist says something like "How's it feel to be a young English player?" when in fact Murray is Scottish.
Whether the journo called him Englishas in English or English as in British, what he said was plain ignorant. I guess many Americans do the same mistake, which pisses me off extremely.

Does anyone here make the mistake that thinking everyone on these Islands is English? If so, speak up....I won't snap at you if you do  Wink

Well, maybe just a little bit
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

RE: US Media = Ignorant

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:16 am

Isn't Scotland just some small town in the far north somewhere filled with drunks who live off the dole?

You can't blame them for not knowing about that place!
One Life, Live it.

TPASXM787

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:17 am

There's no excuse for someone, especially a journalist, to call some one from Scotland "English" I don't think that most Americans realize the national pride that Scots have.

BTW, what is with that damn flag?
This is the Last Stop.

Thom@s

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
US Media = Ignorant

Scotland = England.

J/k. Big grin

Don't take it so hard. Many americans are surprised to know Norway isn't the capital of Sweden.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

TPASXM787

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:21 am

"Many americans are surprised to know Norway isn't the capital of Sweden."

Sweden is a country? I thought that was just a bikini team.  wink 
This is the Last Stop.

WellHung

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:27 am

Sorry, I (we) have more important things to worry about than these minor technicalities. Anyway, with all the EU bullshit, you won't have an identity at all in a few years.

Barcode

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:33 am

Well, I can sort of understand it - after all, I doubt I would think much about regional differences that may be important to some Americans. What is pretty inexcusable is the 11% of Americans that can't find AMERICA on a map (I wish I were making this up). Heck, either something is seriously wrong with the educational system or this 11% exist in a cave.

Gary2880

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:42 am

To quote homer Simpson.... (best and most reliable source there is.. ) from the episode in which Mr burns nicks the lochness monster

"Aberdeen rules!'' which was awesome...

But I digress, its not just the Americans, watching some phone in show if someone phones in from London they praticaly say which street their from 'oh right yes is that the one next to harrods ah yes' but if someone phones in from Scotland its 'hamish from Scotland' where!! Its a sodding big place!

ahh no I've gone onto auto rant, bash on!

Formula 1, when coulthard wins according to the commentators he's British, and when he loses he's Scottish!! Same with Tim henman, if he wins (hah) he's English and if he loses he's British!

Back to the American media, why do they always have to put 'of London' when quoting a news paper, 'the sun of London' 'the daily record of London' and the best yet 'the Scotsman of London(?!)'

fox news weather insert when the adverts are on, why the hell is Edinburgh in Inverness?!

Back to .. In general, why must everyone think that everyone in Scotland speaks Glaswegian, personally speaking is a horrible accent when the Doric is so much more wonderful and should be classed as the mother tongue, if ainly i ki'd get awa wi spikkin at ere

what else..

We dont all eat deep fried mars bars! Not every week anyway

rikki foulton - if I was king you know what I would do? I would rebuild hadrians wall. And electrify it!
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Gary2880

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 2):
BTW, what is with that damn flag?

whats wrong with our flag(s)

TedTAce

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 3):
Many americans are surprised to know Norway isn't the capital of Sweden.

If it were not for mapquest and having had a Norgie 'online girlfriend' I'd say you were right.
This space intentionally left blank

TPASXM787

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:52 am

"whats wrong with our flag(s)"

Mr. Scotland himself still has the UK flag. I wonder if Johan made it permanent.
This is the Last Stop.

bananaboy

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 5):
Sorry, I (we) have more important things to worry about than these minor technicalities. Anyway, with all the EU bullshit, you won't have an identity at all in a few years.

You Canadians are all the same.  Wink

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Gary2880

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:56 am

just because scotland has 3 to choose from  cheerful 

PipoA380

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 3):
Many americans are surprised to know Norway isn't the capital of Sweden.

Just like Switzerland = Sweden = Swaziland

About Switzerland, the american media (a specific channel I loooove) made a good joke about it recently. Have fun!

It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

Gary2880

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 am

I would like to congratulate Switzerland on its new home and hope its very happy there. also seams Berlin has became scared of poland and shunted in a bit

you have to wonder when the person was typing that 'hang on... Where did that little country below Germany come from I haven't seen that before, must be desert'

greatansett

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:45 am

American media (FOX News especially) suck. I find their news to be a complete joke rather then an important source of info. Saying that Aussie Media is not much better. My 2c.
Ron Paul 2012

Pendrilsaint

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:24 am

I really think that 10% figure quoted above is vastly overblown. I'm sure there are a few who can't locate the US on a map...but you are forgetting the smartass factor on these surveys; those who, just for the pure idiocy of the question, point to somewhere else on the map. The outline of America is something that is scene all the time in the US.

MD-90

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:39 am

Surely, not that many people can't be from Scotland Yard, can they? I mean, a yard really isn't that big of a place? Big grin

1MillionFlyer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:56 am

considering a Journalism degree is about the easiest degree to obtain, the profession doesn't draw the sharpest knives in the drawer for sure!
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

pilotpip

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:58 am

As long as mass media is driven by profits and owned by major corporations that have financial intrests in the stories that they report, they'll be biased and more concerned with making money than finding facts.
DMI

SlamClick

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:24 am

I've long been contemptuous of people who are ignorant of geography, but lately I've been rethinking it. There was a joke that went something like this:

"Where'd you go on holiday?"
"Mallorca."
Where's that?
"I don't know - we flew."

But there is a certain wisdom to it. Assuming that a person does have some area of actual knowledge and expertise, why should we be able to "bound" every country on earth? What difference does it make if you are not actually using the information at the moment? We cannot all be experts on everything, and with technology exploding, life is getting very complicated.

After all, I put up with you guys using the word "alot" and spelling "lose" L-O-O-S-E.

Now journalists! That is different. There is no excuse for a journalist to get something wrong. After all, they have the option of keeping their own mouth shut!

One last thought: Any jounalist who ever, once in their career asks the question; ""what's it like" or "what does it feel like" should just admit to the world that they haven't a clue about anything and retire from public life. We should then never again speak their name.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:54 am

Far too many USA residents/citizens are lazy, lousy and really don't care about international geography and cultures. A far less percentage of Americans travel outside of North American than EC citizens do outside of the EC. Probably a higher percentage of EC residents come to the USA as tourists than USA residents as tourists to the EC countries. I go nuts when local TV and newspapers get locations and other facts wrong too. Some in the media are complete dolts, just there due to their 'looks' not brains.
Unlike many of my fellow Americans, I have traveled in much of the Europe, including the 4 major parts of the UK - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. (as well as to parts of Australia and NZ). I know that to call a Scotsman/woman 'English' is like calling a Texan a New Yorker. I am aware of the fine beauty and differences in the different parts of the UK as well as the USA. I don't just visit the 'top ten' tourist sites, but stay in guest houses, bed & Breakfasts, youth hostels, eat at local resturants, try the local food specialties, visit and stay in small towns and cities, try to understand the local/regional history and culture (and usually their beer or popular 'beverages'). So don't blanket all Americans as idiots, just the ones you see.

Basas

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:59 am

^So what if they don't travel to Europe as often as Europeans travel around. Europe is much smaller so naturally, people are going to be travelling to more counties more often. In North America, both Canada and the US are so big, we don't really need to leave. Because someone doesn't go to Europe, are they now 'lazy' and 'don't care about international geography'?

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
Isn't Scotland just some small town in the far north somewhere filled with drunks who live off the dole?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  rotfl 

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

L-188

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 13):
About Switzerland, the american media (a specific channel I loooove) made a good joke about it recently. Have fun!

Well if they would either shorten the name of the country, or invade somebody else so that there is enough map space to type in Switzerland, then maybe the name of the country could be in the right place.

You don't see the nation of Chad or Iran having this problem. Their name always fits in within their borders.

[Edited 2005-06-22 09:06:55]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gkirk

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:20 pm

SlamClick, calling a Scotsman "English" is worthy of the Death Penalty (and I'm being serious!)

nycflyer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:30 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 9):
and having had a Norgie 'online girlfriend'

WTF?!

Quoting GREATANSETT (Reply 15):
American media (FOX News especially) suck. I find their news to be a complete joke rather then an important source of info. Saying that Aussie Media is not much better. My 2c.

As I'm sure you're aware, Fox News is the brainchild of your fellow Aussie, Rupert Murdoch.

Quoting Pendrilsaint (Reply 16):
I really think that 10% figure quoted above is vastly overblown. I'm sure there are a few who can't locate the US on a map...but you are forgetting the smartass factor on these surveys; those who, just for the pure idiocy of the question, point to somewhere else on the map. The outline of America is something that is scene all the time in the US.

Good point on the smartass factor.

jasepl

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:31 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):

Not quite Alex. Everyone knows that everything north of Potter's Bar is Scotland!  Smile

Banco

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 25):
SlamClick, calling a Scotsman "English" is worthy of the Death Penalty (and I'm being serious!)

Kirkie, as a matter of historical record, English and British were genuinely interchangeable until relatively recently, with many Scots using "English" when meaning British. To our eyes (whether English or Scottish) it seems extremely peculiar, but it did happen right through the Victorian era.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Funnily enough when I've seen US coverage of Indy/Cart racing in the past, Dario Franchitti has always had a Scottish flag next to his name on the Tv coverage, graphics, while the likes of Dan Wheldon and Mark Blundell in the past always had a Union Jack rather than an English flag.

Works both ways.

Anyway we should be grateful an American sports journalist was taking an interest in a player who WASN'T American. Must have thought he had gone to Roddick's press conference and ended up at Murray's instead..... 

[Edited 2005-06-22 11:34:31]

[Edited 2005-06-22 12:02:26]
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Banco

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:46 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 29):
Funnily enough when I've seen US coverage of Indy/Cart racing in the past, Dario Franchitti has always had a Scottish flag next to his name on the Tv coverage, graphics, while the likes of Dan Wheldon and MMark Blundell in the past always had a Union Jack rather than an English flag.

This whole thing about people being British when they win and Scottish when they lose is a load of utter rubbish. Since when was Linford Christie called English, not British? Seb Coe? Paula Radcliffe? Steve Redgrave? In fact, the only time I've ever heard it termed as the constituent country was when the women won the curling; then the Scots kept on about a Scottish victory. It's them that do it, not the English.

PipoA380

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:09 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 24):
Well if they would either shorten the name of the country

Just like your country's name "United States Of America" can be spelled "USA", "Switzerland" can also be spelled "CH" like "Confederatio Helvetica" (or something like that) of "Confédération Helvetique". That would fit!

Quoting L-188 (Reply 24):
space to type in Switzerland

Smaller fonts exists.

But the thing is they placed it there because of their ignorance, not because they couldn't fit it in!
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

Udo

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 13):
Just like Switzerland = Sweden = Swaziland

CNN = Chicken Network News

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

gkirk

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
It's them that do it, not the English.

On certain occasions, it does happen. Although not very often (not recently anyway).
A good example of it, is the "British" Lions which is about 90-95% made up of English players (no surprise given who the scumbag coach is)

cornish

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:09 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 33):
A good example of it, is the "British" Lions which is about 90-95% made up of English players (no surprise given who the scumbag coach is)

Think yourself lucky ! If there wasn't an unwritten rule that all the home nations had to represented, there'd be no Scotsmen in the squad at all on current form  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:11 pm

Actually Scotland have now won 3 games in a row  Wink

cornish

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:15 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 35):
Actually Scotland have now won 3 games in a row

Really?!  Wow!

Let me guess: Andorra, Uruguay and Lichtenstein ??

Banco

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:15 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 33):
On certain occasions, it does happen. Although not very often (not recently anyway).

British and Irish Lions I think you'll find. And it's about 40-45%, which given the population bias could be argued as England actually being under-represented. Big grin

There aren't many Scots there because, quite simply, they're crap. Cusiter's looked quite good though. Amazing what he can show when he isn't playing with a bunch of lemons in front and behind him.

PipoA380

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:17 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 36):
Let me guess: Andorra, Uruguay and Lichtenstein ??

Or Feroe Islands maybe. Don't forget them!

Thom@s

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:58 pm

The fairy islands... such opposition.  Wink

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

EZEIZA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:45 am

Two funnies on this one, proving that there is a big problem in the US regarding basic education (what are you guys taught at school?).

In Boca Raton, fl. a brazilian friend of mine walked in a store. She's very attractive so guys try and are always talking to her. In this case, a guy comes up to her and asked her:
"where are you from?"
"Brazil"
"Where's that?"
"you know, big country in South America!"
"huh? where's South America?"

Another example. This was in a University class, also in Boca Raton.
Can't remember what class it was, but for some reason the prof. asked
"What States border the US?"
a student replied "Alabama"
the prof. trying to make it more obvious for the poor uninformed student, asked again: "What Countries?"
"Oh, I see" replied the student .... "Canada and .... Mexico!"

This was at University!!

I'm not saying that Americans are stupid, I think there is a big problem with basic education given, and this is reflected even in the media. That map of Europe posted above is a reflection of what I'm saying. Not only the guy who made the map screwed up, but producers, jouranalists and everyone involved in putting the map on screen fell for it, meaning they did not see a problem.

[Edited 2005-06-22 19:51:55]
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

seb146

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:05 am

When I worked in Vancouver Washington (across the river from Portland Oregon) one of my co-workers was studying for a geography test. He was doing well: he knew all the states and capitals. We asked one person who was born and raised in Vancouver (big excitement for her is going to Lloyd Center Mall near downtown Portland). We asked her what the capital of Washington is. We knew she was not the brightest bulb in the marquee, but being a question about her home state, we thought it would be easy. She took about 5 minutes to deduce what she thought it was. She knew it was not Vancouver because she has never seen anything like a captial building there. But she knew it was far away. After some time, she said since she thought the largest city in the state is Seattle, all the news comes out of Seattle, and everything happens in Seattle, then Seattle is the capital of Washington.

To the citizens of Switzerland: Why would you give up all that fabulous skiing? Oh, well, I hope you enjoy your move....

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

flylondon

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:04 am

Quoting Barcode (Reply 6):
What is pretty inexcusable is the 11% of Americans that can't find AMERICA on a map (I wish I were making this up). Heck, either something is seriously wrong with the educational system or this 11% exist in a cave.

Hmmm lets see....

Quoting Pendrilsaint (Reply 16):
The outline of America is something that is scene all the time in the US.

Well that spelling and grammar was a clear rebuttal of your attack on US education  sarcastic 

TrappedinMKG

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:16 pm

I hereby challenge any and all of you Brits/Assorted Europeans to name all 50 US atates and their capitals WITHOUT using Google (or other outside means...)

It's obviously a moot challenge, but the point is that you don't know any more about our country than we know about yours, so there's no point to all this complaining. STOP WITH THE ANTI-AMERICA CRAP ALREADY. He's not MY president. I didn't vote for him, so don't take it out on me.

EZEIZA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting TrappedInMKG (Reply 43):
I hereby challenge any and all of you Brits/Assorted Europeans to name all 50 US atates and their capitals WITHOUT using Google (or other outside means...)

One thing is not being able to get all 50 states (something which I'm sure most Americans can't do either from the top of their head), but another thing is not knowing where another country is, or worse, where another continent is. No one is smarter or more stupid than the other, but education makes the difference, and in the US, high school education is way below European.

Basas

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 44):
and in the US, high school education is way below European.

Any proof behind that statement? Any reference to your quote that 10% of Americans can't find America on the globe? I've also heard that only 37% of Canadians know the first 10-words of O Canada (the national anthem). I guess we're all idiots too.  Yeah sure

EZEIZA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting Basas (Reply 45):
Any proof behind that statement? Any reference to your quote that 10% of Americans can't find America on the globe?

As a matter of fact I have lived in the US so, yes I have proof, but not actual figures.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 40):
Can't remember what class it was, but for some reason the prof. asked
"What States border the US?"
a student replied "Alabama"
the prof. trying to make it more obvious for the poor uninformed student, asked again: "What Countries?"
"Oh, I see" replied the student .... "Canada and .... Mexico!"

Actually, that last part was "Canada and Alaska"! This was in University, a 1st year class. Doesn't that show something? Just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is ignorant, I don't want to offend anyone, but its an education problem. Yes, 10% does not prove anything, but much more than 10% coud not place, for example, Switzerland on a map.

Basas

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 46):
As a matter of fact I have lived in the US so, yes I have proof, but not actual figures.

Well if you believe it from personal experience- fair enough.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 46):
Yes, 10% does not prove anything, but much more than 10% coud not place, for example, Switzerland on a map.

And how many Europeans could find Indiana on a map? America is a huge country- all those European countries are relatively small and I don't think its unreasonable that many would have difficulty pointing them out. I know most here in Canada would.

EZEIZA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Quoting Basas (Reply 47):
And how many Europeans could find Indiana on a map? America is a huge country- all those European countries are relatively small and I don't think its unreasonable that many would have difficulty pointing them out. I know most here in Canada would.

I'm sure most europeans could not find Indiana, or many other states, but they could point out the US on a world map. I'm not expecting anyone to point out Barcelona in Spain, but Spain, the country, should, at a certain age should be easy to point out by most people.

Basas

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 48):
I'm sure most europeans could not find Indiana, or many other states, but they could point out the US on a world map. I'm not expecting anyone to point out Barcelona in Spain, but Spain, the country, should, at a certain age should be easy to point out by most people.

I understand your point but i'm simply saying that the US is so easy to point out because its huge. I'm sure most Americans wouldn't have a hard time pointing out China, or Brazil, or Russia (they're all huge and well defined countries); however, cluttered countries like Switzerland, and Romania, etc.etc. are simply hard to find (and unless you really need to know them, why bother memorizing their exact location?). Really, these places are smaller than many states.