MaverickM11
Topic Author

Aruba Girl Still Missing!

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:48 am

In case you missed the hour long in depth coverage from 15-1600, it will start again at 1600. She's still missing apparently.

...And I cannot believe how much time has been devoted to this one of thousands of missing people...
E pur si muove -Galileo

MYT332

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:51 am

Who now?
One Life, Live it.

TedTAce

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:52 am

Hard to be found when you are out feeding the fish.
This space intentionally left blank

CaptOveur

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:53 am

She is tied up in my closet, I am using her as a sex slave.

But seriously, this shit is getting old.. Showing her on the news every 5 minutes isn't going to get her found. I would bet KROCs left nut she is still somewhere in Aruba or the surrounding waters. Who knows what real news we are missing out on so the media can show the hot skank who fucked the wrong guy(s) picture every 2 minutes.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

TPASXM787

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:53 am

Sadly true Ted. Bad decision making and some sick people have turned this into a nightmare.
This is the Last Stop.

KROC

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 3):
I would bet KROCs left nut she is still somewhere in Aruba or the surrounding waters.

While I am rather disturbed by this propsed wager....I think its a safe bet that she is indeed floating around Aruba somewhere.

CaptOveur

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:15 am

Well, I sure wasn't going to bed MY left nut, I might need it someday.

avek00

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:39 am

She probably got her brains banged out thoroughly by an island dude and doesn't want to give it up, that's all.
Live life to the fullest.

TedTAce

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 am

She is tied up in my closet, I am using her as a sex slave.

Why does this NOT surprise me?

trekster

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:27 am

And who would this person be, us guys in the UK have no idea what ya goin on about
Where does the time go???

fumanchewd

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:41 am

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/09/missing.teen/index.html
The newest link I saw. A young student on vacation in Aruba got drunk and decided to go off with three guys she didn't know. Two of the men were islanders and one was the son of a Dutch lawyer in training (Aruba is a Dutch commenwealth I believe?). She's missing and the US media is going beserk. Women disappear all of the time but the sensational newsreporting entities in the US think that a missing, drunk, rich, white girl on vacation in an exotic locale is more important than real news. I sympathize for her family, but it shouldn't be getting the amount of airtime it has been receiving.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

CaptOveur

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:43 am

"Why does this NOT surprise me?"

Jealous?

I won't ask who of.

NWA742

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:50 am

If her body was thrown in the water, it either became food, or is somewhere far away from Aruba.

Don't forget ocean currents people.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

TedTAce

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:50 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 11):
Jealous?

I would be if it was just some blonde chick who nobody was missing.*

Fou you to insinuate that you have this girl who is missing is almost as bad as the shot I took @ courlez in....another thread...

*Obviously in the sense of people knew she was with you, and was going to be ok/taken care of in a good way  Smile

Zone1

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:04 am

So this girl is from my home state of Alabama. She really shouldn't have gone out on her own, late at night, in a foreign country. Just plain dumb. I bet Delta 419 has had alot of people from BHM on it lately.
/// U N I T E D

jcs17

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 12):
Don't forget ocean currents people.

Not necessarily. You'd have to get the body pretty far out from the shore to make sure it didn't come back to the beach for a visit. If the guy just dropped her in the water on the shore, she wouldn't go far. My theory is that she was raped by the three Arubans held in custody, then taken far out into the ocean, by the fourth guy now held, and dumped.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ltbewr

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:10 am

The media loves stories like this as it is easy to cover, doesn't piss off the politicans in DC, the victim is attractive, the potential criminals are holding back info, the body is still missing and we have noisy parents. People in the USA can also relate to someone 'like' them is a victim in such circumstances. There is no doubt that the general immaturity of most USA teens including as to alcohol use along with our neo-prohibition of teen consumption of alcohol in and other pressures didn't help this situation. The parents are probably very guilty about letting their daughter travel to such a place. My then 17 y.o. neice went to the UK last year, but she stayed with a family they had known and had lived for years in the USA. She was with people she could be trusted with, but was given some leeway, including having some alcoholic beverages, but not to get drunk or to drink away from their home.
Part of the heavy attention here too is that it is extremely rare for a tourist to be killed of foul play in what is a very safe and civilized place like Aruba. Hopefully in the next 24-48 hours they will find her body and the accused criminals will give up and talk.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:35 am

With any luck this will turn-out like:

- Elizabeth Not So Smart
- Stupid Boy Scout
- Dumbass Bride

Boeing4ever

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:15 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 17):
Elizabeth Not So Smart

It's not her fault she was abducted from her bedroom. I doubt this has much to do with her intelligence.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 17):
Stupid Boy Scout

Guess what I'd say if your dehydrated corpse should ever turn up in a National Park...

Look, this girl did not make the best of choices, nor does it warrant the obsessive media attention...seems like if one of the three suspects hiccups it becomes breaking news.

But insulting the victim and joking that she's your "sex slave" isn't exactly 'civil' either.

What's really sad is that most of you all call the kid who raped a dog sick, and sympathize for the poor animal, yet when a human being, regardless of a poor choice or not goes missing and the media turns it into an obsessive frenzy, you all take pleasure in that person's loss.

It's not her fault she was a "white blonde attractive girl" and thus she gets this attention. Blame society and the status quo first.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

theCoz

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:44 pm

I'd bet Captoveur's vagina on the fact that this whole thing has more to do with Aruba's tourism industry than the missing girl.

Mir

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:49 pm

I heard today that her family is considering suing the Aruban government for not pressing charges quickly enough. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, how's that for the American way?  Yeah sure

She's either dead by now, or she's run away.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

rsmith6621a

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:01 pm

But seriously, this shit is getting old.. Showing her on the news every 5 minutes isn't going to get her found. I would bet KROCs left nut she is still somewhere in Aruba or the surrounding waters. Who knows what real news we are missing out on so the media can show the hot skank who fucked the wrong guy(s) picture every 2 minutes.

Oh Ya Capovouer.....I agree........I think there are more important things to cover ..........LIKE

1....The Downing Street Memeos

2.....Every soldier that dies in the Iraq War

3.....Bushes failure to get Bolton endorsed by Congress....

Why isnt the corupt media covering this story about another missing girl????

"Nearly six weeks ago, Gabriella Mercedes disappeared. Now her family is making a desperate plea for help"

http://www.komotv.com/news/story_m.asp?ID=37532

Probably because she is not as pretty or from a family of wealth......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

SRQCrosscheck

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:29 pm

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 21):
"Nearly six weeks ago, Gabriella Mercedes disappeared. Now her family is making a desperate plea for help"

http://www.komotv.com/news/story_m.asp?ID=37532

Probably because she is not as pretty or from a family of wealth......

Probably also because she's a minority who's over the age of 12. That doesn't boost ratings on Foxnews like a rich, blond, white Southern belle missing. Doesn't appeal to the demographic...

Also, I'm tired of these insinuations about how the Aruban (and even the Dutch) legal system must be backwards because the "police don't seem to be doing enough."

Edit: Ok, I spoke to soon, Gabrielle isn't Hispanic (I thought from her name she might have been). But I think my point still stands about selecting stories to appeal to the viewership of 24-hour-cable-news, rather than picking stories on their merit.
As a hypothetical, though, if the girl in Aruba kidnapped were black, do you think we'd be hearing about her so much?

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 21):
I think there are more important things to cover ..........LIKE

1....The Downing Street Memeos

2.....Every soldier that dies in the Iraq War

You hit it right on the head.

[Edited 2005-06-22 06:36:54]

rsmith6621a

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:43 pm

I think the problem with the press these days is....

They dont want to work for a story....

They rely on a repetitive message to legitamize their coverage....

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 22):
That doesn't boost ratings on Foxnews like a rich, blond, white Southern belle missing.

Dont forget Smart......Gabriella has some mental challenges....
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

luisde8cd

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 10):
Two of the men were islanders and one was the son of a Dutch lawyer in training (Aruba is a Dutch commenwealth I believe?)

Two are from Suriname and the other one is the son of a high ranking Dutch judge.

Alessandro

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:59 am

Luis, don´t mess up a good story with facts.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Greyhound

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:02 am

Apparently they've arrested a judge who's also the father of one of the suspects in the case. Some "Breaking News" headline from CNN just in.
29th, Let's Go!

CaptOveur

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:30 am

hey Rsmith, thanks for Hijacking a non-political thread.

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 27):
hey Rsmith, thanks for Hijacking a non-political thread.

At least this time he posted a link to a real missing child, not a child who was abandoned.

CORULEZ05

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:51 am

As sad as this story is, it is getting old. I mean, what is making it get old is the constant media coverage over NOTHING. They have NO NEW developments yet they devote whole shows to it. They just sit there and speculate and that's just about it. Move on from the story and when there is a big break, talk about it but that's it. I doubt it is really helping the case showing this here in the U.S. because she's NOT missing here. Like I said before and I will stand by it, she messed with the wrong guys and well this is what happens...
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

TPASXM787

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:58 am

AS usual, Rsmith makes every thread political and CORULEZ makes the asinine comment of the day.

Just another day in non-av  Silly
This is the Last Stop.

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 29):
They have NO NEW developments yet they devote whole shows to it.

That is the LEAST intelligent thing you have said in the last 40 Minutes!!!

What do you call this? http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050623/D8ATJH680.html Aruba Police Arrest Father of Dutch Teen

Looks like something new happened in the case, sorry your to dumb to notice..