gkirk

Do We Want The Euro In The UK? Volume 2.4

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:52 am

Well, it's that time of year again.
Been a while since we've asked whether you want the Euro in the UK.
So, I still say no on that topic.

And on the more important stuff, any English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish folks can join in and bash our continental rivals, for being the stuck up snobs that they are  Wink
The French for always whining, the Germans for always losing, the Italians for...errr...being Italian  Wink
Whatever you want, bash away in a friendly manner  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Sabena332

RE: Do We Want The Euro In The UK? Volume 2.4

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:54 am

Your threads are boring since you stopped drinking.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ACAfan

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 am

Damn the pound. I'll take the Euromarks any day!

Why? Because it harmonizes commerce across Europe.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 am

bor�ing Audio pronunciation of "boring" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b�rng, br-)
adj.

Uninteresting and tiresome; dull.

boring�ly adv.
boring�ness n.

Synonyms: boring, monotonous, tedious, irksome, tiresome, humdrum
These adjectives refer to what is so uninteresting as to cause mental weariness. Boring implies feelings of listlessness and discontent: I had never read such a boring book. What is monotonous bores because of lack of variety: �There is nothing so desperately monotonous as the sea� (James Russell Lowell). Tedious suggests dull slowness or long-windedness: Traveling by plane avoids spending tedious days on the train. Irksome describes what is demanding of time and effort and yet is dull and often unrewarding: �I know and feel what an irksome task the writing of long letters is� (Edmund Burke). Something tiresome fatigues because it seems to be interminable or to be marked by unremitting sameness: �What a tiresome being is a man who is fond of talking� (Benjamin Jowett). Humdrum refers to what is commonplace, trivial, or unexcitingly routine: My quiet cousin led a humdrum existence.

ozvirginuk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:07 am

Keep the pound!!! The Euro may lower my mortgage payments through lower interest rates, but it would F@$k up the rest of the economy (one of the few growing and stable economies in the world) because Britain would lose the ability to ultimately control it. That is a bad thing IMHO.

Ozvirginuk

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:30 am

I think a far more interesting question given that he works in London, is Do We Want Andreas in the UK?

I vote we re-build Tyburn and give the public what they want. Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:35 am

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:45 am

I am sick of countries calling themselves so-called "EU members" who reject to completely integrate themselves into Europe based on patriotic/economic/whatever grounds. This is not a post against England, but for god's sake... if you don't want to do what most other countries have done to be a true EU participant, then don't pretend! You can't just pick the aspects of membership that you feel are advantageous for yourself and push aside the ones that don't sound fun to you. If you want to join the EU there will be pros and cons. This whole "we are fine on our own, we don't need the Euro, it's bad for our economy" bullshit is very frustrating.

I lived in the UK for 3 years and it's really annoying to always worry about all the currency exchanges while I can happily trod along most of the other EU countries without even thinking about currency exchanges, and so on. You don't get the true sense of being in the EU when in England because of this (and the mentality) in particular. To back this up, it is actually the English people who refer to the rest of their EU counterparts as being "on the continent" while they refer to themselves as being "on the island".

Before people start slagging off at me... I will add that I really enjoyed my time there and that it's a great place (except for the trains) so do not think this is bashing. It is just my opinion that if you don't want to suffer the disadvantages of being an EU member, then maybe you shouldn't be part of it in the first place. If countries like Ireland, Austria, Greece, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France, and so on can integrate the currency into their systems, I don't see why England should not. It's only fair. OK, I am done... now you can have a bash at me. LOL Big grin
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 7):
OK, I am done... now you can have a bash at me.

You should take your head out of Chirac's  butthead 
 Wink

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 8):
You should take your head out of Chirac's

Haha, the only thing I know about that guy is which country he's from!

Seriously... is that the best you've got???  box 

lol Big grin

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:56 am

I am sick of countries calling themselves so-called "EU members" who reject to completely integrate themselves into Europe based on patriotic/economic/whatever grounds.

Er...since when was it compulsory?

You can't just pick the aspects of membership that you feel are advantageous for yourself and push aside the ones that don't sound fun to you.

Um. I think you'll find you can. Everyone else does too. France barely implements a single directive. Guess who has the best record in that regard? The UK!

This whole "we are fine on our own, we don't need the Euro, it's bad for our economy" bullshit is very frustrating.

But in terms of the single currency, true! So stuff the Euro! Big grin

it's really annoying to always worry about all the currency exchanges while I can happily trod along most of the other EU countries without even thinking about currency exchanges

Well, I'm so sorry it was made a bit difficult for you. Funnily enough, that's not too high on the list of priorities.  Wink

To back this up, it is actually the English people who refer to the rest of their EU counterparts as being "on the continent" while they refer to themselves as being "on the island".

Um. But this is quite accurate.  confused 

If countries like Ireland, Austria, Greece, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France, and so on can integrate the currency into their systems, I don't see why England should not

Um. Because it's not good for us?

It's only fair.

Ah! Now we have it! Misery loves company.  Wink

stirthepot 

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:59 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 10):
If countries like Ireland, Austria, Greece, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France, and so on can integrate the currency into their systems, I don't see why England should not

Sounds a good idea though, and it leaves us Scots with the Pound. Of course, we'd have to end up changing currency each time we crossed the border...

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:02 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
Of course, we'd have to end up changing currency each time we crossed the border...

I don't see why. In Scotland none of you have any money in the first place. That's why you end up coming to England to see what it looks like. Big grin

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:03 am

Banco... that's more like it *ahhhhhh... enjoys* Big grin

Er...since when was it compulsory?

I don't see myself saying it was compulsory anywhere in the post. Countries pick whether they want it or not and England has chosen not to use it.

Um. I think you'll find you can. Everyone else does too. France barely implements a single directive. Guess who has the best record in that regard? The UK!

Yes I know you can, but I think it's arrogant.

But in terms of the single currency, true! So stuff the Euro!

I agree, but this was true for many other countries that accepted the Euro too.

Well, I'm so sorry it was made a bit difficult for you. Funnily enough, that's not too high on the list of priorities.

Apologies accepted  tongue 

It is high on my list of priorities when you travel a lot, and I do!

Yes it's not good for you when you opt out of it while the majority of other countries opt for it since you still enjoy the advantages of not having the Euro. But if all EU countries just accepted the Euro, then this would not be true and it would be good for you. Unfortunately, this is not the case yet.

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:05 am

Anyway, I don't like the way in which my thread is developing. Much too serious  Wink
Have a look at this site and your thoughts on it:
http://www.freebritain.co.uk/

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
leaves us Scots with the Pound. Of course, we'd have to end up changing currency each time we crossed the border...

Quoting Banco (Reply 12):
I don't see why. In Scotland none of you have any money in the first place. That's why you end up coming to England to see what it looks like.

rotfl 

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 14):
Anyway, I don't like the way in which my thread is developing. Much too serious

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kirkie!

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 13):
Banco... that's more like it *ahhhhhh... enjoys*

Well, we've got to start it somehow. Otherwise how will Klaus be able to froth at the mouth like he normally does.  Wink

I agree, but this was true for many other countries that accepted the Euro too.

More fool you then. Big grin

Yes it's not good for you when you opt out of it while the majority of other countries opt for it since you still enjoy the advantages of not having the Euro. But if all EU countries just accepted the Euro, then this would not be true and it would be good for you. Unfortunately, this is not the case yet.

Look, if you're stupid enough to hand over control of your economy to someone else, for no other reason than that the French and Germans want you to, then don't bleat to us simply because we think you're off your collective trollies.  Big grin

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:19 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
More fool you then.

I had no choice so I pretended I was pro, and now I am  scratchchin 

Well, we've got to start it somehow. Otherwise how will Klaus be able to froth at the mouth like he normally does.

Who is Klaus?

Look, if you're stupid enough to hand over control of your economy to someone else, for no other reason than that the French and Germans want you to, then don't bleat to us simply because we think you're off your collective trollies.

I don't think that's what we did by accepting the Euro. But then again, I didn't read into it that much. I do miss the ole Shilling though and the days where I didn't have to pay EUR2 for a coke or EUR3.50 for a hot chocolate or EUR8 for a bacardi longdrink *sob*

Anyways, there is a festival in the city centre with lots of booze and fireworks in 2 hrs so I am going to get ready and head that way (by foot cus I am a law-abiding citizen and will refuse to drive Big grin)

Kirkie: Sorry for adding yet another useless/low-quality post to your thread

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 17):
Who is Klaus?

Oh, you'll find out. He's our resident Brussels cheerleader  Wink

Have a good time at the festival.

Klaus

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:54 am

Nice to be missed. Hi guys!  bigthumbsup 

But no, I´m too angry to have fun about the wave of panic, shortsighted tactical populism and aggressive egoism that´s currently trying to actively destroy the EU.

A last-ditch effort to exploit the waning power of extortion before the rules could be made more democratic. When everybody is working towards a constructive compromise, enforcing a failure will never make you popular, or even put you in a leadership position.

If there was a referendum about the exclusion of Britain from the Union at this point, I´d probably vote yes.

Keep the pound! You won´t need the Euro outside of the EU. Just get out and spare us the abuse and the aggravation, please.

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:19 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
Keep the pound! You won�t need the Euro outside of the EU. Just get out and spare us the abuse and the aggravation, please.

Gladly  Wink Although it's the Krauts and frogs that are causing all the aggro

Klaus

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:02 am

Just get out, please. Maybe you can recognize from the outside what you´re so happily ignoring while you´re allegedly still in.

whitehatter

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
Been a while since we've asked whether you want the Euro in the UK.
So, I still say no on that topic.

Eventually, just not at the moment as it would cause too much upheaval.

It's not whether we want it or not, it has to be inevitable. Besides I like the idea of breakfast in Manchester, lunch in Paris and pissed up in Prague without having to change money or visit cashpoints and pay exchange fees.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
Just get out, please. Maybe you can recognize from the outside what you´re so happily ignoring while you´re allegedly still in.

Same back at you  Wink

Basas

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 am

Keep the pound...it's worth more than the Euro anyways.

pilot kaz

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:53 am

£

Wink
-

aloges

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:55 am

You chaps keep the pound, we'll use real money instead.

Lest I forget:  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:16 am

£

£

£

thumbsup 
In Arsene we trust!!

flyAUA

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:00 pm

Well I can see this thread has not been very informative in my 7 hour absence!

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
Have a good time at the festival.

Thanks it was great. I am knackered now though. Didn't know that many people existed in Luxembourg. It's supposed to be a tiny place!! LOL Big grin

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):

Klaus, old chap, I do believe you're rattled. Big grin

The EU is changing. The old certainties of the Franco-German axis are coming under attack from the UK, the Nordic countries and the new East European entrants. Perhaps you don't like where it's going, but really you should stop whingeing at every opportunity and embrace the EU. Either that or consider leaving. Big grin

Quoting Aloges (Reply 26):
You chaps keep the pound, we'll use real money instead.

You mean that funny money that's in a bit of a mess at the moment? You want to keep that?  Wink

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
any English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish folks

Hey Gkirk my friend... I don't think us Irish participate that frequently in the British hobby of insulting and bashing other Europeans!!!! Big grin

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 4):
but it would F@$k up the rest of the economy (one of the few growing and stable economies in the world)

Just look at your neighbours over in Ireland... we've got the Euro and our economy is the fastest growing economy in the EU.

To be honest, I don't see what the point is in being a member of the EU and not taking the Euro. Countries not wanting th euros should just leave the EU, yet I do believe that in the long-term this would be a major blow to the economies of those countries that leave.

And selfishly, I love having the euro, travelling around the EU is great now without having to worry about finding a bureau de change!

Come on GB... Join the Euro gang!
Long live Aer Lingus!

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:52 pm

I see John Prescott stuck two fingers up at Jacques Chirac yesterday  bigthumbsup 

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 30):
Just look at your neighbours over in Ireland... we've got the Euro and our economy is the fastest growing economy in the EU.

It was beforehand. And taking the Euro has meant that Ireland has been overheating constantly because interest rates are too low for Irish economy.

Besides, comparing the Irish and British economies is utterly fallacious.

There's barely an economist around who thinks the UK economy would be helped by joining the Euro - at least in the medium term. It's a political project, not an economic one. Nothing wrong with that, but at least be honest about it.

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:14 pm

OK Banco. Point taken and well expressed. I'd still love to know though why joing the euro would not help UK companies. I'd say the current situation is adversely affecting many UK companies that depend more on Europe than the national or US market. In my own business dealings with the UK, most people I deal with in the UK complain about not having the euro. Also when I'm outsourcing work, I now avoid the UK due to you not having the euro, and to be honest, this is a bit of a pain for me!

Anyway, on the political and anecdotal side... here's a funnly little story:

A couple of months ago my inlaws were visiting my sister-in-law who was spending a few months inthe UK. My inlaws are Spanish. On their last day they decided to give any sterling they had left to my sister-in-law as obviously they would have no more need for sterling. Anyway, they headed through to departures lounge at Bristol airport to discover their flight to Madrid was delayed. So they had some time to spare and decided they'd like to have a coffee... BUT NO, they only had euros, and no establishment at Bristol airport would accept euros from them... So NO coffee, finally someone gave in to offering them a free glass of tap-water and a bad taste left... basically they're saying "these silly Britanicos should just leave us in peace and leave the EU, last time we're going there!". I'm sure this is just a typical Latin reaction and it'll blow over, but they do have a point.

And before my next story, remember the UK IS AN EU MEMBER (just in case you'd forgotten!):

Last winter I went skiing for a week in Switzerland. We choose a resort in western Switzerland in the French speaking part of the country. After a day or so I noticed all the receipts I got in bars, cafés and restaurants etc. came in Swiss Francs and equivalent in Euro! A day or so later, I discovered most placs accepted the euro... this was one morning I went into a little café for a morning coffee, only had a large Swiss note, which the lady behind the bar didn't appreciate, she then asked my where I was from, I say "Irish, living en France".... she says "good, do you have any euros on you?" I say "yes" she says "well Monsieur you can pay in euros, that's why we put the euros equivalent on the receipt". I got my change in francs, but hey, that was great. Over the next few days I successfully carried out many transactions in French speaking Switzerland in euros.

And Remember: SWITZERLAND DOES NOT USE THE EURO AS IT IS "NOT" AN EU MEMBER, unlike the UK, but in good spirits and business sense, they seemed happy enough to deal in euros.
Long live Aer Lingus!

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:25 pm

10 Dirty Deals that France has done to aid Saddam

TWO-faced Jacques Chirac has cosied up to evil Saddam Hussein for 30 years. Here are ten links between France and Iraq that have helped the tyrant remain in power.

1 The French President first met Saddam in 1972 when the pair struck a lucrative oil deal. Chirac described Saddam then as a �personal friend� and little appears to have changed. Chirac is the only Western head of state to know Saddam personally.

2 France has sold the tyrant arms worth �15billion, more than even the Soviets at the height of the Cold War.

3 They have also built two nuclear reactors near Baghdad.

4 Saddam was close to getting an A-bomb before Israeli jets blitzed his facilities in 1981 in a raid condemned by Chirac as �unacceptable�. Without Israel�s hardline act, Saddam could have held the world to ransom with nuclear arms.

5 Chirac is so keen to build on relations with Saddam he has his own special envoy in Baghdad who is so trusted he is even allowed to sit in on Iraqi Cabinet meetings.

6 Despite world opinion, the men have continued to cut deals. Chirac encouraged French firms to help re-arm Iraq after its war with Iran in the 1980s. French companies sold Baghdad warplanes armed with Exocet missiles.

7 Chirac was so keen to help his old pal he even extended him credit when Iraq failed to meet the repayments. France also sold Iraq equipment to improve the accuracy and range of Scud missiles.

8 Despite tough UN trade sanctions, French firms hold massive oil contracts with Iraq. And there are many more in the pipeline � even in the aftermath of a second Gulf War, Chirac has told energy bosses.

9 Time and time again France has turned a blind eye to Iraq�s abuses when they have been exposed by the UN Security Council. It comes as no surprise to diplomats that French firms keep on landing lucrative deals.

10 World leaders were horrified after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990 but France again helped Saddam. Under pressure from Chirac, then President Francois Mitterrand sent emissaries to 24 countries assuring them France would only participate in the war as a �defensive� measure.

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:27 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 33):
I'd still love to know though why joing the euro would not help UK companies.

Well, there's nothing to stop companies having a Euro account. It's done with US dollars and has been for years. Realistically, if a company trades heavily with the Eurozone then they're fools if they don't.

As to why it wouldn't help the economy as a whole, there are numerous reasons. Although the Eurozone is the largest economic partner if you combine all of it, the UK tends to have a much greater global trading base than is the norm in Europe. Only the Netherlands is remotely comparable in this regard, and to a much lesser extent. Partly because of this, and partly because of the owner-occupier structure, the UK economic cycle is out of kilter with the the rest of Europe's. Usually what happens is that when the rest of Europe needs rate increases, Britain needs reductions and vice versa. Britain joining the Euro would undoubtedly help Ireland, because it would shift the balance of needs, and European interest rates would rise slightly. Of course, this would be catastrophic for France, Germany and Italy, and gives rise to a question not often considered, that is the UK joining the Euro would actually be disadvantageous for much of the rest of the Eurozone.

Anyway, on the political and anecdotal side... here's a funnly little story:

That's just piss-poor to be honest. An airport of all places should be geared up to take all major currencies.

And before my next story,

That does happen here too. If you go to Dover or Folkestone, places that see large numbers of foreign visitors, they often accept Euros. It's the same in many major London establishments. I often hear this trumpeted as some triumph of the Euro, but I don't understand why anyone would think I would be even slightly upset about that. It's just good sense.

cornish

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:38 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
That does happen here too. If you go to Dover or Folkestone, places that see large numbers of foreign visitors, they often accept Euros. It's the same in many major London establishments. I often hear this trumpeted as some triumph of the Euro, but I don't understand why anyone would think I would be even slightly upset about that. It's just good sense.

No triumph of the Euro at all - go to Harrods and you can pay in US Dollars or Yen if you fancy !

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
Keep the pound! You won´t need the Euro outside of the EU. Just get out and spare us the abuse and the aggravation, please.

Believe me the last thing Germany needs or wants is for the UK to leave the EU. The burden on Germany from losing the UK as a major net contributor would be very high indeed. As much as the French and the Germans complain, they would rather have us there than not. That's why we have always had the veto on so many issues, rahter than be told "accept it or leave".
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:41 pm

Well, there's nothing to stop companies having a Euro account.

Yes, and one of my service providers has a Euro account with an English account... yet she is still charge commissions from her bank when I transfer her finds in euros... while transfers between Eurozone banks are now free.

Britain joining the Euro would undoubtedly help Ireland

Yes I've often heard this. My sister, involved in the clothing industry, often said this and initially was totally against the euro, but now they appear to be trading more and more with Eurozone based companies (mainly France and Germany) and she also told me that fashion tendencies have totally changed in Ireland in the last few years, with the same items being sold in Ireland as in many other European countries (France, Italy, Spain, Germany...etc.) while she says the clothing available in the UK, even if made by the same brand, is different to whats supplied to Ireland and other European countries. So is this not a sign that many Eurozone companies will eventually end their British contacts as it's just getting too expensive for them. My sister's case, and my own. And as I said Banco, I always liked dealing with the English as I found them to be generally efficient, and prompt payers.

I often hear this trumpeted as some triumph of the Euro, but I don't understand why anyone would think I would be even slightly upset about that. It's just good sense.

That was my point... at an international airport you would excpect to be able to pay in major currencies. Maybe Bristol is just too small or maybe the poor folk of Bristol airport just didn't understand my in-law's English!!???

Anyway Banco, thanks for your highly informative posts. At least now I see why possible the euro wouldn't suit the UK.

And Gkirk... please STOP posting such ridiculous and provocative rubbish.... Thanks mate!
Long live Aer Lingus!

cornish

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:51 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 37):
That was my point... at an international airport you would excpect to be able to pay in major currencies. Maybe Bristol is just too small or maybe the poor folk of Bristol airport just didn't understand my in-law's English!!???

Nope - down in the west country they still use potatoes rather than metal coins and paper notes as a form of barter Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi there Cornish... how are you? Working hard as we all are I see!

Quoting Cornish (Reply 38):
down in the west country they still use potatoes

Ahhh... the poor folks of the beautiful west country... for a second I though you were about to say it was us Irish who used potatoes instead of real money!!

Quoting Cornish (Reply 36):
That's why we have always had the veto on so many issues, rahter than be told "accept it or leave".

Yep, but that arguement would work with any EU member.... Spain has had the veto before, so has Ireland and many others, and I don't think any of them have been told to "accept it or leave it"... that's, I believe, one of the aims of the "famous" constiution... to get rid of the veto right and bring around a more democratic system, as currently, any ONE single EU state can stall an EU issue even if every other country is in agreement.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:02 pm

So is this not a sign that many Eurozone companies will eventually end their British contacts as it's just getting too expensive for them.

I doubt it. The biggest problem right now is that the Euro is rather weak, so naturally buying in sterling is rather expensive. On the other hand, Irish exports to the UK are probably (I don't know the figures) doing rather well. These things do change from time to time.

Another thing to remember is that up until relatively recently, Ireland was little more than an economic adjunct to the UK. As Ireland's wealth has increased, they've searched for new markets and found them, with spectacular success. But the UK and Ireland will always be economically close, both because of geography and also language. Equally, a maturing political and cultural relationship between the Republic and the UK over the last 20 years (which is directly tied in to Ireland's increasing affluence) has removed many of the social and cultural barriers that were certainly there previously. One of the most pleasurable elements of Ireland's success has been the removal of much of the historical baggage that existed between the two nations for so long.

As for banks charging commission, well it's minor pain, but little more than that. No-one is reluctant to trade with, say, Australia because of it. 40 years ago it was a major consideration, but not any longer.

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Banco Thanks... and really well done on your excellent posts. It's so nice to see such 'sensible' posts on this forum, which are frequently unfortunately too scarce.

I think I'll add you to my respected user's list if that's ok with you.
Long live Aer Lingus!

cornish

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 39):
Hi there Cornish... how are you? Working hard as we all are I see!

Morning Toulouse. Actually doing very little as the boss is in Munich and I'm slowing down waiting for the wekeend when I can head off to SA  Smile

Yep, but that arguement would work with any EU member.... Spain has had the veto before, so has Ireland and many others, and I don't think any of them have been told to "accept it or leave it"... that's, I believe, one of the aims of the "famous" constiution... to get rid of the veto right and bring around a more democratic system, as currently, any ONE single EU state can stall an EU issue even if every other country is in agreement.

True enough, but I don't think some of the smaller, poorer members could possibly have got away with quite as many vetos as we have done. My point being more of the fact that the EU knows it really needs the UK, no matter how obstinate it is.

for a second I though you were about to say it was us Irish who used potatoes instead of real money!!

Well you Eurozone Irish don't use real money either  Wink

Toulouse

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 42):
Morning Toulouse. Actually doing very little as the boss is in Munich and I'm slowing down waiting for the wekeend when I can head off to SA

Good for you! Heading off to SA for holidays? If so, have a great time!

True enough, but I don't think some of the smaller, poorer members could possibly have got away with quite as many vetos as we have done. My point being more of the fact that the EU knows it really needs the UK, no matter how obstinate it is.

Possible true, despite the fact that most Europeans want to convince themselves that we don't need the UK, I suppose you're right.But on the other hand, doesn't the UK 'also' need the EU?

Well you Eurozone Irish don't use real money either

Of course not... we're trying to get 'pints and half pints of Guinness' to replace the euro... som much simpler... only two units and so much more pleasant. Big grin
Long live Aer Lingus!

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:26 pm

My point being more of the fact that the EU knows it really needs the UK, no matter how obstinate it is.

They need each other - economically at least. But one of the problems with the EU debate is that it is often trotted out that the UK needs to be part of the "European Project" because of trade. Well, of course it needs the trade! Of all nations the UK is one that has trumpeted free trade for centuries, but it isn't tied in to the Brussels bureaucracy, they're two separate issues. That's why the fun and games over the constitution and rebate issues are so crucial - it will define where Europe goes from here.

cornish

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:39 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 43):
Possible true, despite the fact that most Europeans want to convince themselves that we don't need the UK, I suppose you're right.But on the other hand, doesn't the UK 'also' need the EU?

Absolutely. That's why we veto so much but never walk away from it.

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
That's why the fun and games over the constitution and rebate issues are so crucial - it will define where Europe goes from here.

In between my travels of late, I've missed part sof what is going on over the issue, but did I see something about Angelika Merkel being quite supportive of the UK position over the need for change in the EU? If so that raises some interesting questions about the direction and leadership (by countries, rahter than Brussels) in Europe regarding the EU, should she get into power in the future.

gkirk

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:46 pm

And Gkirk... please STOP posting such ridiculous and provocative rubbish.... Thanks mate!

Banco, Cornish, do you wish to answer this for me please?  Wink

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:46 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 45):
but did I see something about Angelika Merkel being quite supportive of the UK position over the need for change in the EU?

No, not necessarily. There's a bit of wishful thinking on the part of the likes of the Daily Mail there. What she did say was that it was unreasonable for Chirac to insist on British compromise over the rebate when refusing to even contemplate negotiation over the CAP. But that doesn't mean that when she becomes Chancellor that she's going to dump France and join a British campaign for change.

Banco

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 46):
Banco, Cornish, do you wish to answer this for me please?

Certainly, Kirkie.

Toulouse, you have to treat Kirkie like the lunatic in the corner of the pub. He pops up with inane comments from time to time, and all you do is nod politely and occasionally buy him a vimto and a packet of crisps. It's much better that way, otherwise he feels ignored and starts to get a bit lairy.  Wink

cornish

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 47):
No, not necessarily. There's a bit of wishful thinking on the part of the likes of the Daily Mail there. What she did say was that it was unreasonable for Chirac to insist on British compromise over the rebate when refusing to even contemplate negotiation over the CAP. But that doesn't mean that when she becomes Chancellor that she's going to dump France and join a British campaign for change.

Ah that'll be it then. I can't remember where I saw/heard it (not the Mail, that's for sure!) but that's pretty much the gist of it. It might have been a US paper in NYC.

True enough, its one thing to say something in opposition, its another when you're in power - as many say she will be in due course.

So from what I've gathered, the Dutch are our 'new best friends' then ?

Apologies for still playing catch up !!