alberchico

Is Bush Becoming A Lame Duck President?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:52 pm

Think about it, his poll numbers are dropping, the Bolton nomination is on the rocks, his Social Security plan is almost derailed, and he is losing support from both Republicans and democrats on key issues. He will not be able to get his legislation passed. That all adds up to a lame duck presidency.

Your thoughts?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

OzarkD9S

RE: Is Bush Becoming A Lame Duck President?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:54 pm

All two term Presidents are Lame Ducks.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Newark777

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:55 pm

I think this is just the standard 2nd term presidency. Now we just have to see if the shit hits the fan like it almost did in the past administration, or he just continues on this downward path.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

alberchico

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:56 pm

I think most presidents spend the 2nd term pondering their legacy and ignore
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

A332

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:00 pm

He's always been a lame duck president... yet he ended up with a majority of the support... shows you how bad Kerry really was!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

MD-90

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:02 pm

He's already a lame duck president, but soon he's gonna be a dead duck president with the albatross of his disgusting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq hanging around his neck, wars that we're losing and will lose, btw.

Newark777

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 pm

Afghanistan and Iraq hanging around his neck, wars that we're losing and will lose, btw.

How exactly are we losing in Afghanistan? Or are you just lumping it together without really thinking about it? Either way, ignorant response.

Harry

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 5):
He's already a lame duck president, but soon he's gonna be a dead duck president with the albatross of his disgusting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq hanging around his neck, wars that we're losing and will lose, btw.

More    from the NON-VOTER! Discounted immediately. . . no Dog in the Hunt.

All two term Presidents are essentially Lame Duck Presidents.

It remains to be seen what legacy will be left to follow this President. Things are not over in Iraq (and will not be when he leaves office by the by); his Social Security reforms are on the blocks (just like Clinton's); the economy is fairing reasonably well, but needs continued and much improvement yet; US Energy Policy is moving along and may well pass both House and Senate soon; much work left to be done.

I definitely toss some of the blame to PotUS, but I also toss a greater portion of the blame for inactivity on legislation to the Partisan Assholes in the Sewer on the Potomac. If they could move beyond Partisan    and actually DO the job they were elected to do, perhaps it wouldn't matter what PotUS tries, the country might move forward. Shameful actions on both sides of the aisle in both houses . . .   

Any judgement on what will remain and what the legacy shall be is way too premature at this point.

Quoting A332 (Reply 4):
shows you how bad Kerry really was!

Geez, where's Falcon when you need him to liven up a thread!   

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2005-06-24 06:18:13]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

alberchico

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:14 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 4):
shows you how bad Kerry really was!

well he dopes have a point. The Democrats ran a ''anybody but Bush capmaign'' and thus were defeatedly badly.

Basas

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:22 pm

^Maybe next time they should focus more on their own platform rather than trying to show everyone how bad Bush was.

How about another question: Is Martin becoming a lame duck Prime Minister? Yes!

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
All two term Presidents are essentially Lame Duck Presidents.

Why re-elect then?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

allstarflyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:25 pm

Is Bush Becoming A Lame Duck President?

No, and he's not our puppet, either.

Signed,
The Council on Foreign Relations
Living the American Dream

Newark777

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:30 pm

Why re-elect then?

Because if there is no possibility for a second term, every president would become a lame duck president.

Harry

A332

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:38 pm

Quoting Basas (Reply 9):
Is Martin becoming a lame duck Prime Minister?

He always was a lame duck PM... it's been apparent from the start. He's still miles ahead of Stephen Harper though... no question.

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 12):
Because if there is no possibility for a second term, every president would become a lame duck president.

true ... I guess this is a lose-lose situation
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Basas

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 13):
He always was a lame duck PM... it's been apparent from the start. He's still miles ahead of Stephen Harper though... no question.

Actually- i'll question that. But obviously you prefer to live with a PM who has no intentions of running the country, only of what to do to get him re-elected for another term.

KC135R

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:45 pm

The term lame duck does not apply as much to a President as a Congress Person, since Presidents are always "serving out their last term" if they get re-elected. The way I understand it, a President should not be a lame duck until his successor is elected, so it is about 3 years too early to be talking about a lame duck President.

At any rate, his legacy - as of right this minute - is not looking good. I agree with ANC, much of the blame goes on those morons in the Congress, but this President has proven himself to be pretty "lame" as of late, and considering how influential this administration has been they must share in the blame.
For example...
He's spending all his "political capital" on a social security plan the VAST majority of Americans don't want. Even he admits his private accounts do nothing to stop the solvency problem, might even hasten the process. Iraq is nearly 2.5 years along and progress is sluggish at best. Despite Cheney's remarks that the insurgency is in its "last throes", for example, more people were killed in that country this June than one year ago - so it sounds like the insurgents have gotten better. His tax cuts spurred an 8 trillion dollar deficit. Several states - including the state he came from - are suing the federal government because of No Child Left Behind, one of his biggest pieces of legislation. His nominee to the UN seems to be a failed attempt, as well he should be - you don't send someone to the UN who obviously, and publicly, despises the organization. You think Bolton would get any cooperation with anyone there, since they all know about his lovely comments in the past?? ANYWAY - To top it all off, he has the lowest approval ratings ever of a second term president at this point in his second term. Oh yeah, and several of the locked-step Republican Senators and Reps are now speaking out against the administration's policies. Things are not looking good right now, but there's time for a change. However, judging by the past (nearly) 5 years, I am not optimistic it will get better. I am very disappointed in Bush as a president - but there wasn't a lot of choice the past 2 elections now was there?

A332

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Nah, I don't like Martin... but again, he's still miles ahead of Harper and his pack of goons.

Basas

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Ahead of Layton...yes. Ahead of Martin...no.

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
If they could move beyond Partisan and actually DO the job they were elected to do,

Something about seeing how many kick backs and PAC paid trips overseas they can get instead of focusing on the task at hand.. Shameful I agree..
This space intentionally left blank

ANCFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:37 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 19):
Something about seeing how many kick backs and PAC paid trips overseas they can get instead of focusing on the task at hand.. Shameful I agree..

Maybe we should call Tom Delay for advice on how to handle it?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

runway23

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:56 pm

Bush will remain something which people laugh at here in Europe. Now that he's reelected he seems to just do the bare minimum.

TedTAce

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Maybe we should call Tom Delay for advice on how to handle it?

I think there are a few Dem's that could help out as they are equally educated on the subject as he is... make this a 'bipartisian' effort.

oldeuropean

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Now, there is no need for him to be so present in the media and he has much time to play golf again, and to spent 50% of his remaining presidency for beeing on vacation. Like he did before 9/11.  rotfl 

Axel

[Edited 2005-06-24 15:21:36]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

whitehatter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:19 pm

Let's throw this into the mix then.

Anyone who tries to divert the debate gets the

The question: Regardless of who is in the job now or has been previously, would a three term restriction be better for the USA than the current two terms?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Turtle

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:18 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 4):
He's always been a lame duck president... yet he ended up with a majority of the support... shows you how bad Kerry really was!

I really feel that the democrat voters have been seriously cheated. As a Mass resident, I can tell you that this guy is worthless. He did absolutly NOTHING for this state ~ NOTHING. He's a "no show" to votes in the legistator on controversal issues (except ones that include raising taxes) ~ no backbone. Where he stands on issues is a complete mistery. It dependeded on what interest group he was talking to ~ a complete weathervane.

S12PPL

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:48 am

He was a lame duck president before 9/11, and now that everyone is realizing what a moron he truely is...He's back to being a lame duck president.

Watch a press conference he conducts. You'll lose track of how many times he says "Um".
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Superfly

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:54 am

alert   alert   alert  *** EVERYONE TAKE NOTE***  alert   alert   alert 

MD-90 said:

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 5):
He's already a lame duck president, but soon he's gonna be a dead duck president...........

Remember he is the same guy who asked about about the possibility of a Boeing 767 slamming in to the World Trade Center back in the fall of 2000, one year before it happened.

MD-90 has amazing fortune telling skills.
Bring back the Concorde

budyboy

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:05 am

I don't want to misunderrepresent this; not only is Bush a lame duck, but he is also in the last throes of his presidency.

rjpieces

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:21 am

I think Bush had a great shot after the election to have a powerful few months or years, but his social security plan collapsing is going to screw the rest of his domestic agenda.

I think Bush should focus on foreign policy, as that defined his first term, and there is plenty left to do that could define his legacy.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

jaysit

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:25 am

He's flopped on everything since January 2004. Other than being re-elected.

In any case, it's only June 2005, 5 months after he was re-elected.

If he is being declared a lame duck this early in his second term, he's pretty much screwed.

It's usually the last 18 months or so when the lame duck stage begins. If he is already a lamd duck, then it will be very hard for his successor to ride on his coat tails.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

rjpieces

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:35 am

Let's not forget that he has YEARS left. 9/11 happened 9 months into Bush's presidency and it radically changed everything. Who knows what the future holds.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

aa61hvy

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:47 am

MD-90 yeah he didn't do ANYTHING with relations with Libya did he?  irked 
Go big or go home

Superfly

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 31):
9/11 happened 9 months into Bush's presidency and it radically changed everything.

Oh Jesus!  psst 
I guess you saved your GOP voter guide mailer from last November and typed one of there bullet points, huh?
Bring back the Concorde

aa777flyer

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:00 am

I dont know about a lame duck, but he is and always was a dumb ass!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

seb146

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 34):

Yep! He is also using the terrorism threat as an excuse for everything. Is there really a threat anymore? Well, yes! Why? Because Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida are still out there. But, Bush just makes blanket statemets about terror. When was the last time he or his administration (Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, et al.) gave us any update on al-Qaida or bin Laden? If I remember correctly, al-Qaida and bin Laden were the threats. But, now in addition to that, we have foreign fighters in Iraq blowing innocent people up because of an illegal war started by this administration!

Does anyone remember when thousands of people were killed by car bombs and insurgents in Iraq under Saddam? Think back to before the invasion and occupation. When? I and many others are also still waiting from the administration for hard facts as to when Iraq planned to invade the United States, how they were a threat and where the WMDs were.

The Bush administration talks about terrorism like it is someone else. Look in the mirror, my friend. The administration throws around the word so much it means nothing anymore.

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

jetjack74

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:51 am

You were wait for this thread, weren't you?

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 29):
I think Bush had a great shot after the election to have a powerful few months or years, but his social security plan collapsing is going to screw the rest of his domestic agenda

The entire process of Bush trying to secure nominees for his judicial and cabinet positions is what has slowed down his second term. The bad press coming from the nominations of Janice Rodgers Brown and Priscilla Owens has hurt the image of the Administration courtesy of the mainstream media. Bush's approval ratings are down, and no wonder. The media is just been relentless on attacking him since the runup to the election, continue to do so. But Bush doesn't care. Bush doesn't govern his presidency by what his poll numbers say. That was Clinton's presidency. Bush makes his decisions by what he thinks is right, not by what the latest poll numbers are. Now I don't believe he or his advisors don't watch the polls, i'm sure they do for PR reasons. But in anycase, once this latest round stumbling in the confirmtion procedings, the push for Social Security reforms will be back in the spotlight and I think he'll be successful. They're going to dredge up Bill Clinton's proposals that he made in 1997 which is practially the same thing. Clinton himself proposed private investment accounts in 1997 during his State of the Union speech.
Made from jets!

TPASXM787

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 6):
Either way, ignorant response.

What else should you expect??

Quoting KC135R (Reply 16):
You think Bolton would get any cooperation with anyone there, since they all know about his lovely comments in the past??

I don't know why Bush insists on surrounding himself with these old school hacks. Cheney, Dumsfeld, the nomination of Bolton, doesn't make a lot of sense. That and placing his yes wo(man) Condi Rice as SecState is questionable as well.

Quoting Turtle (Reply 25):
I really feel that the democrat voters have been seriously cheated. As a Mass resident, I can tell you that this guy is worthless. He did absolutly NOTHING for this state ~ NOTHING. He's a "no show" to votes in the legistator on controversal issues (except ones that include raising taxes) ~ no backbone. Where he stands on issues is a complete mistery. It dependeded on what interest group he was talking to ~ a complete weathervane.

Thank you for this. I have tried to argue this point many times but I always get crap about how great he is...

Thank you for your well thought out addition to the debate at hand.

He's not a lame duck but the admin seems to be spinning it's wheels right now. I will admit that I don't like the wau that things are going with Iraq now, as I have voiced many times on the boards. I'd like a little more action, not just sitting and spinning.
This is the Last Stop.

jetjack74

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 35):

Does anyone remember when thousands of people were killed by car bombs and insurgents in Iraq under Saddam?

Not car-bombings, but the thousands upon thousands of bodies that are turning up in mass graves. The constant car bombings in Israel that Saddam was paying 20,000 dollars apiece to the families of these martyrs.
Made from jets!

oldeuropean

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:21 am

When was the last time he or his administration (Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, et al.) gave us any update on al-Qaida or bin Laden?

Wasn`t it at June 20th when CIA-Chief Porter Goss said, that he knows where bin Laden is!

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/06/20/goss.bin.laden/index.html

Axel

[Edited 2005-06-24 22:23:36]

alberchico

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 39):
When was the last time he or his administration (Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, et al.) gave us any update on al-Qaida or bin Laden?

Terrorism is more than one man. Even if we catch him and torture him to our hearts content, it will still be mostly a symbolic victory.

Mir

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:24 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 40):
Terrorism is more than one man. Even if we catch him and torture him to our hearts content, it will still be mostly a symbolic victory.

A valid point. But the guy did plan out the deaths of close to 3,000 people, most of the Americans, on American soil. Forgetting about him is pretty symbolic as well.

EDIT: typo

-Mir

[Edited 2005-06-25 04:24:29]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jetjack74

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:48 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 41):
Forgetting about him is pretty symbolic as well.

Nobody has forgotten about Osama Bin Laden. It's very easy for him to blend into the locals in in Waziristan. The region is so volatile, that President Musharraff himself is afraid to send Pakistani troops into the region.
Made from jets!

Mir

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 42):
Nobody has forgotten about Osama Bin Laden.

This guy pretty much has:

"So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you."

"Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him."

Nobody really high up in the administration, only the president.  Yeah sure

Those quotes from his March 13, 2002 press conference.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 42):
The region is so volatile, that President Musharraff himself is afraid to send Pakistani troops into the region.

Such a long way from "wanted dead or alive." This guy is a mass murderer of Americans! Do we just let those guys get away because they're difficult to get to? It's an utter joke.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

N766UA

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:33 am

I really don't think the original poster even knows what a lame duck is. Every president in their 2nd term is a lame duck: they can't be re-elected.
This Website Censors Me

TedTAce

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:57 am

Maybe he's a lame pterodactyl?

oldeuropean

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 40):

Say this to the American voters. I see Mr. Bush again on board of an aircraft carrier with a "mission accomblished" banner behind him an his well known idiotic grin on his face.  bored 

Axel

N766UA

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:28 am

FEAR? Is that the Federal Egg Answering Room? Of course it has nothing to do with FEEBLE.  silly 
This Website Censors Me

jetjack74

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
This guy pretty much has:

"So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you."

"Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him."

Nobody really high up in the administration, only the president.

Yes Mir, you are very good at cherry-picking an article to spin it in your favour.
You left out this part:
But once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became -- we shoved him out more and more on the margins. He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore. And if we -- excuse me for a minute -- and if we find a training camp, we'll take care of it. Either we will or our friends will. That's one of the things -- part of the new phase that's becoming apparent to the American people is that we're working closely with other governments to deny sanctuary, or training, or a place to hide, or a place to raise money
And we've got more work to do. See, that's the thing the American people have got to understand, that we've only been at this six months. This is going to be a long struggle. I keep saying that; I don't know whether you all believe me or not. But time will show you that it's going to take a long time to achieve this objective. And I can assure you, I am not going to blink. And I'm not going to get tired. Because I know what is at stake. And history has called us to action, and I am going to seize this moment for the good of the world, for peace in the world and for freedom.

You're a true journalist, very good at spinning a story.
Made from jets!

flyAUA

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:58 am

Not drinking, also isn't a solution!