FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Hide Your License Tag From Red Light Cameras

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:02 am

...with 'Phantom Photo' a spray that creates a glare when photographed
===
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3241950

A Pennsylvania company expects to make money from red-light scofflaws by selling them a spray-on product that prevents the camera from picking up license plate numbers.

Then again, according to a company official, that could increase sales, which was the case after Illinois officials recently banned PhotoBlocker.

"Right after they did that, our sales just picked up in Illinois," said Joe Scott, the company's marketing director. "For us, it was a marketing tool. By them making it illegal, they are admitting that this is a very effective tool."

===

I don’t commend running red lights, nor do I shed a tear when Big Brother cant get you.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

srbmod

RE: Hide Your License Tag From Red Light Cameras

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:17 am

Here in Georgia effective July 1st, it will be illegal to use any sort of device, aftermarket bodywork or application to obscure your tag from red light cameras. This stuff's on the list supposedly, and a few shops around town have been selling tons of it.

WellHung

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:28 am

Using this stuff, where it's illegal, should be a moving violation and at least 3 points. It is not only breaking the law, but has the potential to encourage people to run red lights even more than they normally would because of a false sense of security, further endangering other motorists. If this is the logic behind such legislation (and not the fact that the municipality would be losing revenue), then it should be enforced with at least the same regularity as seat belt enforcement. It could also be used by toll evaders, which would be considered an aid for stealing. Should be easy to test for, too. Just need a camera and flash.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
This stuff's on the list supposedly, and a few shops around town have been selling tons of it.

Please confirm that they are selling the same product. In the link it states:

The product, offered only on the Internet

777236ER

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 2):
Using this stuff, where it's illegal, should be a moving violation and at least 3 points. It is not only breaking the law, but has the potential to encourage people to run red lights even more than they normally would because of a false sense of security, further endangering other motorists. If this is the logic behind such legislation (and not the fact that the municipality would be losing revenue), then it should be enforced with at least the same regularity as seat belt enforcement. It could also be used by toll evaders, which would be considered an aid for stealing. Should be easy to test for, too. Just need a camera and flash.

And anyone who breaks the law should be burnt to death.

Signed,
NWA742.
Your bone's got a little machine

PHLBOS

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
A Pennsylvania company expects to make money from red-light scofflaws by selling them a spray-on product that prevents the camera from picking up license plate numbers.

I wonder if this company is located anywhere near Philadelphia?

I say that because the 120 day grace period for the newly installed red-light cameras at Roosevelt Blvd. & Red Lion Road (US 1 & Route 63 near PNE) expired last week. Now if you're photographed running a red light at that intersection; a ticket w/a $100 fine will be mailed to you.

That being said, many Delaware Valley motorists might be stocking up on ordering this stuff.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

MD11Engineer

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:20 am

A German TV station tried this stuff out in cooperation with the leading manufacturer for speed cameras. The stuff didn't work and is additionally illegal.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

TheRedBaron

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:25 am

Ill order just in case....

those safety nazis have lowered the limits in Mexico city, to what I consider insane levels...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

DeltaGuy

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:29 am

At my local Corvette/Camaro shop, they sell this neat little plastic cover for your license plate...looks like a harmless clear protective cover, but when the plate is viewed from extreme angles (akin to what a camera would see), it becomes completely blurred out...a good passive device if I do say so myself. Works better for all the toll roads in Central Florida...cameras will never see your plate Big grinD

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...d=GD30RS792VC98JM3C1S9G1KDLDD4DH75

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

srbmod

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:00 am

Please confirm that they are selling the same product. In the link it states:

The product, offered only on the Internet

These stores could have bought it from them and then resold the product.

mirrodie

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:28 am

As I understand it, the product is legit, and based in UK. They aired something about it on cbs880news last week in NY.

However, the quick quip also stated that the bobbies are getting beyond the spray by using infrared with their cameras. So they are always a step ahead.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

alberchico

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:35 am

I have heard of this from people on the street. Trust me it works.I have already one on its way..............  Big grin Big grin Big grin
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Curtisman

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:39 am

Forget about hiding anything. Obey the law and keep yourself and everyone else safe!!
Citizen of the World

Matt D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:16 am

This issue is the classic "free ham for a Jew" moral quandary for me.

I know as do many others that traffic enforcement is corrupt and rotted to the core. We all know that 'safety' is just an excuse for 'money'.

Isn't it interesting how the red light cameras always appear at the most busy intersections?

I have yet to EVER see one installed at a low volume but risky (i.e. curved or blind) intersection.

And I'm sure that more than one red light camera came after some traffic engineers intentionally 'shortened' the time of the yellow lights, thereby artificially creating a 'red light' running crisis to foster public support for them.

So any chance to [legally] fight those legalized shakedowns, I'd be all for.

On the other hand, equipping your car to intentionally evade paying tolls or intentionally running red lights and driving in an unsafe manner, that's just as dishonorable and despiccable as the people who installed the red lights in the first place.

So the question that I guess needs to be asked:

WHY are you intent on shielding yourself?

Are you looking to fight corruption?

Or are you simply thumbing your nose at the law?

If you answered yes to the latter, then shame on you.

edited for spelling

[Edited 2005-06-28 02:18:40]

MAH4546

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:18 am

I really don't think people aren't buying these things to run red lights, they are buying them to hide themselves from the cameras in the case they do run one accidently.

Luckily, cameras at stop lights have been outlawed in Miami-Dade County. I think the concept is ridiculous.
a.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:21 am

How about just putting your license plate on the front of your car instead of the rear? I know that's legal in a lot of places as long as its in plain view.

IFLYMCO

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 14):
How about just putting your license plate on the front of your car instead of the rear? I know that's legal in a lot of places as long as its in plain view

Really? Never heard of this..Is it legal in the US?
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

ShyFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:00 am

Quoting IFLYMCO (Reply 15):
Is it legal in the US?

It varies by state. Here in New Mexico, the plate must be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
I lift things up and put them down.

pilotsmoe

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
Luckily, cameras at stop lights have been outlawed in Miami-Dade County.

They are illegal in NJ, too

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 am

How about just putting your license plate on the front of your car instead of the rear? I know that's legal in a lot of places as long as its in plain view.

Riding around in the US without a rear tag, you’ll see flashing red/blue lights in your rear view and have a chat with someone with a badge.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

DeltaGuy

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 12):
And I'm sure that more than one red light camera came after some traffic engineers intentionally 'shortened' the time of the yellow lights, thereby artificially creating a 'red light' running crisis to foster public support for them.

IIRC, there was a big scandel from one city artificially shortening the yellow light durations to get more tickets....20/20 did a big expose on it, apparently they had bagged alot of people unfairley. I hate the systems anyways, you don't see too many of them here in FL.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

2H4

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 11):
Forget about hiding anything. Obey the law and keep yourself and everyone else safe!!

If I hauled my motorcycle to a stop every time I saw yellow, I'd be dead by now.

When you've got an idiot riding your ass and talking on a cellphone, it's often better to push the yellow a bit. People have absolutely NO idea just how quickly motorcycles can stop.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

DeskPilot

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 pm

nor do I shed a tear when Big Brother cant get you.

Nor do I shed a tear for those stupid enough to take risks in running red lights. Unfortunately, it's another inoccent party who's also affected.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):
a good passive device if I do say so myself

Pity it also doesn't also safely deflect cars that you are about to run into !

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 11):

Agree.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
case they do run one accidently.

Yes, sorry I killed the occupants of the other car - it was an accident. I couldn't forsee that running an amber or red light would have caused this.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

ShyFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):
People have absolutely NO idea just how quickly motorcycles can stop.

That's if they even know they are there in the first place.

2H4

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 22):
That's if they even know they are there in the first place.

Yeah, no kidding...

Reminds me of a past discussion here about loud pipes. Well, I just had mine cored out to make them about 50% louder with some serious bass.

Surprise surprise...cars notice me now, and actually give me room...

biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

airbus3801

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:11 pm

I don�t commend running red lights, nor do I shed a tear when Big Brother cant get you.

Well, let's see whose talking when you are hit by someone who ran a red light and both of you are in the hospital in critical condition on the verge of death? The red light is not a joke, and treating it like one is immature and stupid. I might sound harsh, but I have known people who have been killed by running a red light.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):
If I hauled my motorcycle to a stop every time I saw yellow, I'd be dead by now.

When you've got an idiot riding your ass and talking on a cellphone, it's often better to push the yellow a bit. People have absolutely NO idea just how quickly motorcycles can stop.

Then why are you riding on one? Big grin Motorcycles aren't exactly the safest things in a the world. A child's father at school had his arm and leg amputated because he wiped out on a turn on the highway.

777ER
Crew

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:11 pm

In new zealand some shops also sell the cans but also sell special plastic plate covers that also does the same job
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:26 pm

I don’t commend running red lights,

Biggest cause of accidents at intersections are the assholes that run red lights. 'Nuf Said.

I know of NO state that allows a plate only on the Front of the Vehicle. Certainly not here. Must have a plate on front and back, and back plate must have current registration stickers.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 3):
And anyone who breaks the law should be burnt to death.

Signed,
NWA742.

sarcastic  sarcastic  irked 

Hey, here's a novel thought! STOP at the red light! Give it a shot. It's legal, it makes this entire thread moot! Go for it! Doesn't hurt a bit!!!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

57AZ

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:36 pm

Using this stuff, where it's illegal, should be a moving violation and at least 3 points. It is not only breaking the law, but has the potential to encourage people to run red lights even more than they normally would because of a false sense of security, further endangering other motorists. If this is the logic behind such legislation (and not the fact that the municipality would be losing revenue), then it should be enforced with at least the same regularity as seat belt enforcement

Well said. Tucson only has a few red light cameras which are placed at the intersections with the highest number of traffic collisions. In most states, intentionally obstructing the license tag from view is a moving violation. That is effectively what the transparent license covers do. This in itself may well make those products illegal depending on the exact wording of the law. In Arizona the license tag must be placed on the rear of the vehicle and cannot be displayed in the rear window. At work one night, we were standing outside the courthouse on break and saw a City of Tucson officer initiate a traffic stop for an obscured tag on a pickup. He not only cited the kid driving it but made him put the tag on the rear fender while he watched. We got a laugh out of that.

Also, use of such a product might cause negative inferences. Phoenix and Tucson have an extremely bad accident rate concerning red light running and traffic collsions at intersections. Tucson took drastic action to cut its rate, imposing lagging left turn arrows at almost all intersections in the city. Travelling in any given direction, the turn arrows will not illuminate until the light has completed half a cycle and the red light has been on for two seconds. Effectively this forces all traffic at the intersection to come to a complete stop before turning vehicles are permitted to turn.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

gordonsmall

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:30 pm

Stuff like this has been available for many years, I first started using it on my bike about 3 years ago and have continued to use it ever since on my cars as well.

The best bit is it isn't just a con, the stuff actually works!

Back in 2002, about 3 months after I got my sportsbike, myself and a few mates were out for a blast along some local roads on our bikes, we knew the position of all the speed cameras in the local area but weren't aware that a new one had been installed on a fast section of our favourite road. We went flying through it, it's almost certain that not one of us was doing less than 160 mph as we were all full throttle in 6th gear by that point on big sportsbikes, but miraculously none of us got caught.

Wonderful stuff, but only if used responsibly!  Smile
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

PHLBOS

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:24 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):

I know of NO state that allows a plate only on the Front of the Vehicle. Certainly not here. Must have a plate on front and back, and back plate must have current registration stickers.

I believe that every state mandates a rear-mounted license plate. It's the front plate requirement that varies from state-to-state.

However, many vehicles have the rear plate mounted on the liftgate door, station wagon door or trunklid rather than the rear bumper. Depending on how the camera is angled or mounted; a partially open trunk or liftgate (to carry a large tie-down item) or a station wagon door opened flat to carry 4x8s could cause the camera not to properly read the rear plate number.

The main beef with these cameras that nobody has mentioned yet is what if the driver of the vehicle is not the listed/registered owner. For example, if a person's car is stolen at noontime and the owner isn't aware of it until say 5 PM but receives a red light ticket for an incident that occured at 2 PM (before he knew his car was stolen); how is he going to defend himself from paying the fine? Or if someone legitimately borrows the car and runs the red light. In a conventional police traffic stop situation, the driver is cited; but with the cameras, the vehicle's owner is cited even though he wasn't anywhere near the intersection at the time.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:32 am

Ok so let me try to get this straight...

So you spend money on something to prevent you from spending money if you get a ticket  scratchchin 

Why not stick to the speed limits and red lights from the beginning and you wont have to spend a single  twocents 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

avt007

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:33 am

"Wonderful stuff, but only if used responsibly! "
Like 160 mph on local roads? If thats your definition of responsible, then pardon me if I don't take the rest of your post seriously. Just a little anecdote for you- I have ridden sportbikes for 20 years. I road raced for 8 years, and the President of our club, a very experienced racer/rider was killed not long ago. Care to guess how? Yup, some loser ran a red light and left this guys wife and two kids without their Dad. Kind of takes all the meaning out of these legal and moral arguments as far as I'm concerned.

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 31):

I'm with you on this one. I lost a best friend because of somebody breaking the road laws! Nothing will bring that back again. This spray is just as rediculous as speed-camera detection devices in cars  mad 

Jamie757

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):

I've got an idea, try approaching them a bit slower so that if the lights do change on you, you've got a bit more space to stop. Here in the U.K. we call it 'defensive driving' and it's what clever people do.

bigthumbsup 

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

2H4

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 33):
I've got an idea, try approaching them a bit slower so that if the lights do change on you, you've got a bit more space to stop. Here in the U.K. we call it 'defensive driving' and it's what clever people do.

I've
got an idea, too.

Try taking a physics class.

Giving myself "a bit more space to stop" won't make the tailgating cellphone driver behind me pay attention. Nor will doing so create space behind me.

You suggest I need to drive more slowly. In urban areas, I typically cruise at about 4 mph under the speed limit. Only when a car is riding my tail do I push a yellow. I never even think about running reds.

Got any other advice for me? Here in the US, we call it "backseat driving", and it's what irritating people do.

Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 34):
You suggest I need to drive more slowly. In urban areas, I typically cruise at about 4 mph under the speed limit. Only when a car is riding my tail do I push a yellow.

If you are driving 4mph below the limit in urban areas how can you possibly find it difficult to stop when a light turns yellow? I am asking because I want to know what type of traffic lights you've got there. Here in Luxembourg they are very annoying. They go from green, then turn yellow for 1 or 2 seconds and switch straight back to red  mad 

In Austria I like the system. The green light blinks 3 times, before turning orange for 3 seconds, then it turns red. Makes a lot more sense if you ask me, and it also gives you more time to stop if you need to, or continue driving if it's dangerous to stop.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:40 am

"And anyone who breaks the law should be burnt to death."

There is no "right" or "wrong". How can you judge someone based merely on the fact that they ran a red light killing a pedestrian?

Signed,

777236ER
E pur si muove -Galileo

2H4

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 35):
If you are driving 4mph below the limit in urban areas how can you possibly find it difficult to stop when a light turns yellow?

I don't find it difficult to stop when a light turns yellow. I simply refuse to slam on my brakes when someone is tailgating me. I just don't have any confidence in the drivers around me.

It all comes down to dividing your attention between several things at once. Staring at the traffic light and ignoring everything else around you would guarantee no surprises, but would obviously be unwise. The fact is, no matter how attentive you are, a yellow will catch you by surprise from time to time.

My original point was, when I look up and see a light that's already yellow....and I have someone tailgating me, I'll probably opt to push the yellow rather than slam on the brakes and hope the driver behind me has good reflexes.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 37):
My original point was, when I look up and see a light that's already yellow....and I have someone tailgating me, I'll probably opt to push the yellow rather than slam on the brakes and hope the driver behind me has good reflexes.

Yep, that's also what I do. But I've never had to cross a red light because of somebody tailgating me I will add. When not speeding, one always has enough time to come to a gentle stop without hitting the breaks full-on.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 28):
miraculously none of us got caught.

Or died.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ShyFlyer

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:34 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 29):
Or if someone legitimately borrows the car and runs the red light. In a conventional police traffic stop situation, the driver is cited; but with the cameras, the vehicle's owner is cited even though he wasn't anywhere near the intersection at the time.

That is exactly what I though when ABQ began istalling these red light cameras. Sure you could ask (or demand) to have the person you lent the car to repay you for the fine, but then there is the issue of the infraction appearing on your driving record.

People driving rental cars and company owned vehicles could potentially get way with running red lights too.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:50 pm

MN requires plates in front and back, with unobstructed tabs on both plates. Any kind of cover is illegal.
MS 169.79:
Subd. 7. Plate fastened and visible. All plates must
be securely fastened so as to prevent them from swinging. The
person driving the motor vehicle shall keep the plate legible
and unobstructed and free from grease, dust, or other blurring
material so that the lettering is plainly visible at all times.
It is unlawful to cover any assigned letters and numbers or the
name of the state of origin of a license plate with any material
whatever, including any clear or colorless material that affects
the plate's visibility or reflectivity.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):
Reminds me of a past discussion here about loud pipes. Well, I just had mine cored out to make them about 50% louder with some serious bass.

When I become a cop, I'm gonna love to pull over inconsiderate people like you. I hate loud exhausts. (and don't give me the safety speech)

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 29):
The main beef with these cameras that nobody has mentioned yet is what if the driver of the vehicle is not the listed/registered owner.

One system that works, is one that was explained to me by a cop. If the driver is not the owner, the owner must inform the cops who the driver was, or the ticket is theirs to keep.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Soku39

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:11 pm

Way to go Kai, no wonder so many people get annoyed with cops. So pompous, you don't like it therefore....

No disrespect on the serious stuff, but dear god chill out.

Don't even care if I take heat on this one.
The Ohio Player

2H4

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 41):
(and don't give me the safety speech)

Oh, I WILL give you the safety speech, there, chief....because the end result is FACT.

I'm curious...how long have you been riding motorcycles? A number, in years, please.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

57AZ

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:11 pm

In general, I do not enter the traffic intersection once the signal goes yellow unless there is some factor that would prevent me from safely stopping short of the threshold mark. When I went through driver training for my commercial license, there were a couple of points that were impressed upon me. One was to approach all intersections under full control, prepared to slow or stop as necessary. The other was to monitor the crosswalk signals, if provided. Usually the Do Not Walk indication will start flashing anywhere from 10-15 seconds before the signal begins to change. Watching the crosswalk signals as you approach the intersection will give some advanced warning before the light changes, allowing the driver to prepare to take appropriate action. The last point made was that when approaching a signalled intersection, you should realize that once your vehicle has passed the point that it can be safely stopped short of the intersection, you must continue through the intersection even if the signal changes. Driving the motorcoach, I would reduce my speed slightly when approaching an intersection. If my signal was green and I had passed the point of no return (based on the traffic speed and vehicle weight), I would actually increase my speed slightly if possible. That way, should the signal change I would be able to clear the intersection in minimal time.

As for company employees using camera shields on company vehicles, I should hope that anyone caught applying these items would be terminated or severely rebuked. Commercial drivers can lose their licenses over stuff like this as United States Department of Transportation regulations prohibit the use of radar/camera detectors in commercial vehicles (commercial vehicles being defined under state and federal regulation). All of the companies that I worked for had policies that made it crystal clear that anyone caught operating company vehicles in anything less than a professional manner would be dealt with severly. While driving motorcoaches was fun, I must admit that the motor vehicle I enjoyed driving most was a company Hi-Rail truck. For those who don't know what a Hi-Rail truck (Highway-Railway truck) is, it is a truck that is equipped with flanged wheels that can be raised for operation on the highway or lowered and locked in place to operate on railroad tracks.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Jamie757

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 34):
Try taking a physics class.

I did take a Nuffield A-Level Physics course a while back, so I do have a fair idea of the laws of motion and momentum.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 34):
Giving myself "a bit more space to stop" won't make the tailgating cellphone driver behind me pay attention. Nor will doing so create space behind me.

I appreciate your concerns and agree to a certain extent, you cannot control other people, but generally speaking, lowering your approach speed will reduce the risk of injury if an incident was to occur, also perhaps giving the tailgating cellphone driver behind you a little bit more time to react if you do decide to stop.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 34):
You suggest I need to drive more slowly. In urban areas, I typically cruise at about 4 mph under the speed limit. Only when a car is riding my tail do I push a yellow. I never even think about running reds.

I suggested that you lower your approach speed to traffic light controlled junctions, that was all. In what circumstances do you cruise at 4mph under the limit? All the time?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 34):
Got any other advice for me? Here in the US, we call it "backseat driving", and it's what irritating people do.

I have no more advice for you at this time, obviously it would fall on deaf ears anyway. Nobody likes a backseat driver, least of all me. I'm sorry if you mistook my advice for backseat driving. What driving/riding credentials do you have out of curiosity and how long have you been driving/riding?

Rgds.

2H4

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 45):
generally speaking, lowering your approach speed will reduce the risk of injury if an incident was to occur, also perhaps giving the tailgating cellphone driver behind you a little bit more time to react if you do decide to stop.

I see your point, but I don't think lowering my speed from a speed that's already below the posted speed limit will have much of an effect. When you start getting that slow, the risk of collisions may decrease, but the risk of having things thrown at you increases substantially.  Wink

In what circumstances do you cruise at 4mph under the limit? All the time?

Yeah, pretty much whenever I'm in town...that is, in areas with lots of traffic and intersections. I shoot for about 4 below the speed limit to give me a buffer in case I need to speed up for a yellow, to pass a car, etc. It's probably overkill, but I'm paranoid of blemishing my perfect (knock on wood) driving record.

I'm sorry if you mistook my advice for backseat driving.

No, actually, I owe you an apology for misinterpreting your post. Sorry about that.

What driving/riding credentials do you have out of curiosity and how long have you been driving/riding?

I've been driving for twelve years and riding for about a year and a half. Before motorcycles, I commuted via bicycle in heavy urban traffic for about ten years. It's amazing how much that helped the transistion to motorcycles.

Do you ride?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Jamie757

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:22 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 46):
When you start getting that slow, the risk of collisions may decrease, but the risk of having things thrown at you increases substantially.

I'm not talking walking pace or anything silly here, I'm just talking a couple of MPH, it's surprising just how much difference it can make to your stopping distance. Whether that's true on a bike, I'm not totally sure, works in a car though.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 46):
I've been driving for twelve years and riding for about a year and a half.

I've been driving for about eight years, and much to my surprise, was awarded an IAM Advanced Driving Certificate a year back, and I'm a qualified ADI. I don't ride a motorcycle, my experience is limited to push bikes only I'm afraid. Have been knocked off twice as well!!

Would be keen to do my CBT and motorcycle training.

Rgds.

FlyVirgin744

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:51 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 12):

Traffic engineers and cops generally do not get along. Plus the engineers usually don't see the money generated, the cops do.

There is certain protocol an engineer needs to follow when choosing yellow clearance and all red times. Here in Palm Beach County, no yellow is shorter than 4 seconds, and most all red is 2 seconds. When the speed limit is over 50 mph, we use a 5 s clearance. Judging by how wide the intersection is is how we determine the all red time. A lot of left turns are followed by 3 second all red times since the average left turn speed is 15 mph.

No yellow time should be shorter than 3.5 s. You might even be able to beat a ticket if you contact the public works division and request the signal's timesheet. If you could show that the the yellow is too short and get an engineer friend to back you up, bamm.

I am not in favor of any type of cameras. I only support the old fasioned way of having the cop sit at the intersection and get the violator.

Here is an interesting stat:

80% of red of light running occurs within 2 seconds of the light turning red. 20% is a fully blown red light run (staggered).

Of the accidents occuring due to red light running, 90% occur in the 20% fully blown red light running. Only 10% of accidents happen in te 80% 0 - 2 s running.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting Soku39 (Reply 42):
Way to go Kai, no wonder so many people get annoyed with cops. So pompous, you don't like it therefore....

It's in the law. I don't like having people on Harleys (or cars/trucks with modified exhaust) drive by my house at night. Revving their engines to make as much noise as possible.

From MS 169.69:
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a
muffler in good working order which blends the exhaust noise
into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to
prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a
muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle
on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or
produce a sharp popping or crackling sound. Every motor vehicle
shall at all times be equipped with such parts and equipment so
arranged and kept in such state of repair as to prevent carbon
monoxide gas from entering the interior of the vehicle.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 43):
I'm curious...how long have you been riding motorcycles? A number, in years, please.

About one. People might see you if you are loud, but does that give you the right to annoy people late at night by revving your engine on residential streets? I'm not saying that YOU do, but those are the kind of riders I dislike. You could always do like they do in Europe to be seen...wear bright clothing.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an